Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jul 2022 at 4:09 AM
Default Pet CAS Slider Troubles
So, as of late, I've been trying to tackle my latest mod project centered around pets in Sims 3; pets being able to actually show their pregnancies.

Right now I would say I'm still in the first stages of making the mod, which is creating all the sliders I need. As of this moment, the cat pregnancy slider is finished! It works as intended and only needs a few minor tweaks to be more efficient. However, as the title of this thread implies, I've run into a bit of a problem and I'm honestly completely stumped by it. The problem in question being the pregnancy slider I'm making for big dogs.

I've been following these two tutorials in particular in order to make these sliders, but for some reason when I test the pregnancy slider I made for big dogs in-game it appears that only one of the modified bones are working, and that bone being the chest bone:

For reference, here is what the full look is supposed to be:

And here are how I assigned the bones. Have I possibly made a misstep somewhere?

Stomach Bone Assignments

Chest Bone Assignments

Oh c'mon. There better be a point to all this stress I'm under.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 2:47 PM
@CmarNYC @PharaohHound

I'm genuinely sorry if I'm being a bother right now, but I really don't know what actions to take at this point, so I was wondering if either of you had any insight on this?

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#3 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LittleCheshire
@CmarNYC @PharaohHound

I'm genuinely sorry if I'm being a bother right now, but I really don't know what actions to take at this point, so I was wondering if either of you had any insight on this?

The name of the bone is b__Stomach0__ and it looks like 'Stomach0' in your screenshot so possibly that could be the problem? I haven't worked with Delphy's bone delta editor in forever.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 5:37 PM
I don't think that's the issue, because while the bone is precisely named b_Stomach0_ in Blender, Stomach0 is the closest in name to it in Delphy's Bone Delta Editor, and the stomach part of the slider actually worked before I fixed the bone assignments for the chest. Another reason I am positive that it is the correct bone, is that when I made the pregnancy slider for cats I modified the b_Stomach0_ bone there too and assigned it to the Bone Delta Editor's Stomach0 and it works just as intended.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#5 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 6:12 PM
I don't think that's the issue, because while the bone is precisely named b_Stomach0_ in Blender, Stomach0 is the closest in name to it in Delphy's Bone Delta Editor, and the stomach part of the slider actually worked before I fixed the bone assignments for the chest. Another reason I am positive that it is the correct bone, is that when I made the pregnancy slider for cats I modified the b_Stomach0_ bone there too and assigned it to the Bone Delta Editor's Stomach0 and it works just as intended.

So the stomach bone did work at first? If so, whatever you did to the chest bone may have broken something. Could you explain what you did to fix the bone assignments for the chest? Just add the adjustment, or something else?

It's hard to guess at the problem. If you could upload your package I'll take a closer look.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 2:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
So the stomach bone did work at first? If so, whatever you did to the chest bone may have broken something.

Yeah, in the beginning I had the stomach part of the slider working, but the chest part of the slider wasn't working because I misread PharaohHound's tutorial and missed the part where the number conversion only needed to be done to the Scale fields and the W axis of the rotation field, and had instead done the number conversions to all the fields.

Here is an image showing the way the slider worked before I fixed the chest bone assignments.

The uploaded slider package is beneath this image. It's with the correct stomach and fixed chest bone assignments, shown in my very first post.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  LittleCheshire BDog Pregnancy Slider - Test(2).zip (1.1 KB, 4 downloads)

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#7 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 12:37 PM
Yeah, in the beginning I had the stomach part of the slider working, but the chest part of the slider wasn't working because I misread PharaohHound's tutorial and missed the part where the number conversion only needed to be done to the Scale fields and the W axis of the rotation field, and had instead done the number conversions to all the fields.

Here is an image showing the way the slider worked before I fixed the chest bone assignments.

The uploaded slider package is beneath this image. It's with the correct stomach and fixed chest bone assignments, shown in my very first post.

It looks okay, except that the chest bone has an invalid quaternion. No idea if that could cause the error. I need to test - where is the slider located in CAP?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 2:32 PM
An invalid quaternion? I didn't know a bone could have an invalid entry field. Could explain to me how you figured that out?

The pregnancy slider is located in the Body panel. The big dog has to be set as female and adult in order for it to show up.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#9 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 5:05 PM
An invalid quaternion? I didn't know a bone could have an invalid entry field. Could explain to me how you figured that out?

The pregnancy slider is located in the Body panel. The big dog has to be set as female and adult in order for it to show up.

Yes, that was the problem. I set the quaternion to all zeros and tweaked the scaling a little to show the belly more and it works. You'll want to adjust it to look the way you want.

Quaternions are a way to represent rotations in three dimensional space using both real and imaginary numbers. The x, y, z represents a vector (the direction or axis around which to rotate) and the w represents the angle but is adjusted somehow using the x, y, and z. The x, y, z is usually normalized - calculated so the vector is one unit long. If only the z axis is used, the z value should be 1, not a fraction. Oddly enough, a w of zero means a 180 degree rotation. Technically a quat of all zeros is also not valid (w should be 1) but the game recognizes it as no rotation. And that's the extent of what I know - I'm not a mathematician, I'm just familiar enough with them to know that one didn't look right.

You really need to use an online calculator to get valid values. This is a pretty good one that lets you enter the degrees of rotation around the x, y, and z axes under 'Euler Angles', gives you an idea of what that rotation looks like, and calculates the quaternion: https://quaternions.online/
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  LittleCheshire BDog Pregnancy Slider - Test(2) mod.zip (1.1 KB, 7 downloads)

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 7:24 PM
Thank you so much for your help with this, I mean it. I'll keep this thread up just in case I run into any other problems.