Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jul 2022 at 6:08 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Seasons
Default Eating has zero effect on the Hunger bar
I posted a similar query once before, and got zero replies, so hopefully someone will be able to help me this time. When my Sims sit down to a meal, they sit and eat, and eat, and eat, and eat, belching frequently if it's something spicy... but their hunger continues to slide down into the red zone, causing a hunger desperation, and I'm assuming, eventual death by starvation. Also, the food never disappears from their plate, and so they'll continue to chow down, getting nothing out of it, and keep munching long after the food has started to rot and turn green. What would cause this? I would guess, off the top of my head, some sort of refrigerator-related download. Has anyone seen this before? When they grab some ready-to-eat food, like cookies from the fridge, or snacks from a vending or popcorn machine, they'll actually consume and digest it, although of course that's not very much nutrition, and is only enough to save them from immediate death. I believe honey from the beehive also works. Just not anything that's prepared and cooked. This appears to be true whether the Sim makes a meal autonomously, or is directed to, and also at community lot eateries... here's Susan Mayfield, having lunch at Starcourt Mall, and as you can see, the hunger bar is headed in a negative direction while she eats.

I was able to get her safely home by having her wolf down some popcorn and Doritos, but this is not a feasible long-term solution. Is it likely a fridge mod?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Jul 2022 at 7:41 AM
No, it's something that modifies food. Food code is not related to the fridge.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jul 2022 at 7:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
No, it's something that modifies food. Food code is not related to the fridge.

...like Cyjon's "noeatcrap", perhaps? My Sims, since nothing ever disappears form their plates, do in fact end up eventually eating rotten food, which means the mod is useless anyway. That's an easy one to let go of. Aside from that, the only food mod I really have is "EatCivilized" (plus a bunch of Sun & Moon "hunting" mods). I don't think either one of those would be causing a problem. I'm ditching the Cyjon... probably didn't read the description thorughly.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 15th Jul 2022 at 7:13 PM
Noeatcrap doesn't cause this. You'll have to do a binary search.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 16th Jul 2022 at 11:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chitownriverscum
...like Cyjon's "noeatcrap", perhaps? My Sims, since nothing ever disappears form their plates, do in fact end up eventually eating rotten food, which means the mod is useless anyway. That's an easy one to let go of. Aside from that, the only food mod I really have is "EatCivilized" (plus a bunch of Sun & Moon "hunting" mods). I don't think either one of those would be causing a problem. I'm ditching the Cyjon... probably didn't read the description thorughly.

More likely you have 2 mods clashing. So perhaps "noeatcrap" and EatCivilized are both trying to modify the same code. Try running one of the hack conflicts programs around and seeing what shows up.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Jul 2022 at 12:18 AM Last edited by chitownriverscum : 29th Jul 2022 at 7:36 PM. Reason: more info
I stuck a Christianlov "Power Fridge" in a new home, and tadaaa... my Sims can now derive nourishment from their food. Something else will probably go wrong now, but at least I don't have to do quite as much babysitting.

Edit: It's not a 100% fix, apparently. Sometimes the Sims' hunger will diminish while eating, sometimes it won't. Haven't quite figured out the pattern. If they make food autonomously, it doesn't seem to work, but also maybe if they make things which their cooking skill level isn't up to? Some of the fridge/cooking mods allow for a full range of food options regardless of Sims' skills, so that might have a bearing on this... need to do more field research. The food that they can "grill" works fine, that I know for certain, even when served ready-to-eat from the power fridge.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 7:56 AM
Default Feeling hungry? Make sure you eat with your fingers...
An update on this weirdness, with some additional info; maybe it will spark a glimmer of an "AHA!" moment in one of you experts.

No idea what the cause is. All I can tell you is what I've observed over the intervening months since this thread was started, narrowing down the possible factors:

When my Sims eat anything that requires SILVERWARE, they sit down at the table, fork or spoon in hand, chewing away at nothing, because the utensil never approaches the plate, the food never disappears, and the hunger bar continues to slide downward towards the starvation level, and they'll just continue to sit there in a masticating trance, pretending to chew, while the food slowly rots. If others are present at the table, they'll have conversations like they normally would, but they won't eat.

When my Sims eat with their FINGERS, they get full, and the food disappears as it should from their plate.

I have a video of two of my people at a table, one eating finger food, and one failing to eat silverware food. I could try posting it here, but I don't know if that's a thing.

SO...

Filet mignon, lobster thermidor, cereal, chili, salad, blackened salmon: BAD
Doritos, cookies, sandwiches, burgers, toaster things, dogs & pizza: GOOD

That is the twisted world that my Sims live in. Next step, I guess, is to remove any mod that even remotely has to do with food, and see what's what.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 8:09 AM
The first thing you should have done was take out all your mods and see if it still happens in a vanilla game. Then if it doesn't put the mods back in bit by bit and see what happens. If it happens in vanilla then you might have to repair your game (or reinstall if you aren't on the UC).

Do you have the HCDU? https://lazyduchess.tumblr.com/post...ty-for-ultimate

Also, don't eat your dogs. :P
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 10:54 AM
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 3:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
The first thing you should have done was take out all your mods and see if it still happens in a vanilla game. Then if it doesn't put the mods back in bit by bit and see what happens. If it happens in vanilla then you might have to repair your game (or reinstall if you aren't on the UC).

Do you have the HCDU? https://lazyduchess.tumblr.com/post...ty-for-ultimate

Also, don't eat your dogs. :P

Haha, no worries on that front - I don't have Pets. And as much as I would LOVE to use the HCDU, I have a Mac. It sounds like a tiny miracle of simming.

I'm going to try JUST removing the "Mods" subfolder from my downloads and see if that makes any difference. If not, I'll move on to the Buys and Builds subfolders, but... no way am I taking out the Bodyshop stuff again. It takes so long for the game to re-load all that schwack back in that it's really not worth it; on the slim offchance that there MIGHT be something hidden amongst the clothing and CAS downloads... then I'd quite honestly rather just live with the problem. I'll babysit my Sims for the rest of their lives and make sure they don't try to eat anything remotely fancy, where they'd need a spoon or something... you know, like Cheerios.

But first, of course, I'll back up the Sims folder.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 3:52 PM
Mods folder is more likely to be the problem than Bodyshop, hopefully.

HCDU really is a sanity saver. I'll tell you what. zip up your mods folder and send it to me and I'll run it through HCDU and give you the results.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 4:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chitownriverscum
Haha, no worries on that front - I don't have Pets. And as much as I would LOVE to use the HCDU, I have a Mac.

Scroll down the page I linked you to- there's the 50% method which is what I was trying to direct you to. It's the method to find problem custom content for any OS.
https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...he_50.25_Method
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 9:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Mods folder is more likely to be the problem than Bodyshop, hopefully.

HCDU really is a sanity saver. I'll tell you what. zip up your mods folder and send it to me and I'll run it through HCDU and give you the results.

Sounds good, thank you so much. The zip is about 14 MB.