Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Sep 2021 at 11:21 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Dreamcatcher Money Cheat Not Working
Hi, simmers!

Recently I've read in a blog post and saw in a YouTube video the following money making 'tip'.
If you buy the Nocturnal Imagination Receiver in the game for 50 simoleons and wait until after midnight, the price of the dreamcatcher will increase a lot.
One dreamcatcher would cost about 1200 simoleons after the waiting period.
Naturally, I tried this on my own in my own game, but it didn't work.

Has this been an actual bug that they patched later? Or am I not doing something correctly?

***I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I have the Ultimate Collection.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Sep 2021 at 12:32 AM
I don't have the UC, but it's possible it was 'fixed' Hope someone else with the UC can test that out.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#3 Old 7th Sep 2021 at 1:11 AM
I don't have the UC, but honestly, this has never ever worked for me. I started to think that it was just an urban legend, or maybe something that was patched/fixed.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 7th Sep 2021 at 7:28 PM
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 7th Sep 2021 at 10:54 PM Last edited by Lili975 : 8th Sep 2021 at 12:06 AM.
It's not an urban legend, it used to work, but unfortunately it has been broken, or if you want «fixed», by I don't remember which expansion, Seasons I think, long before the UC came out.

ETA: By the way, a similar bug still exists in the game with another object, the Shoddy Fireplace that came with Seasons too, as can be seen here. If you want to experience that unique feeling
Alchemist
#6 Old 8th Sep 2021 at 4:23 AM
@Honeywell did it in her Calamity Hills series on Youtube (awesome series!). She was using AnyGameStarter at the beginning of that series, iirc. If that's right, it must still be there somewhere, right? https://youtu.be/enUX505nzag?t=998
Theorist
#7 Old 8th Sep 2021 at 8:13 PM
I just tested it in my full game (all packs on disks) and with cc installed and the Dreamcatcher depreciates in value like you'd expect now. Full game, without any cc installed and the dreamcatcher actually gained §1 and was worth §51 after midnight. So I'd think two things are happening: one it's been patched with Freetime or a later pack (Sunrader is right I was using AGS with packs up to BV) and two there's cc around that could be changing it as well.

Other good money exploits would be fishing or digging for treasure on a community lot with espresso, food and a bathroom. Another old money exploit (I never did this so could be remembering wrong) was to open a home business, invite a group of sims on an outing and start fishing. Everyone will join your sim and all of the fish would go into the business owners inventory?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 9th Sep 2021 at 11:46 PM
Well the dream catcher use to work I remember doing it on my legacy years ago. So must have been patched.

The home business is a good one but the fish don't go to the owner's inventory from sims not living on the lot.

I recently had a sim selling a deco bottle of wine on his front lawn who graduated to a fountain and is now up to 3 fountains, but if you can afford a ticket machine business just set it on cheap and leave it open 24/7 you will gain some cash.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 12:28 AM
My highest EP is OFB, so I feel it ought to be in my game, but I can't find this "Nocturnal Imagination Receiver" in the catalogue. I've looked in decorative / wall hangings at 50 Simoleons, but I can't find it. Where should it be, or did it come with an EP / SP?

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 12:59 AM
The only exploit you need is to start a ticket business and set the price to a ridiculous amount, pretty much any amount you want. Then you wait for the reporter to come, the reporter always buys a ticket so they can report on the business, so they will buy a ticket for 3 million simoleons or whatever, probably leave you a bad review or something, and then you can shut down the business and live off your profits. But exploits like this don't actually make the game fun so I don't do them. You can also make utterly stupid amounts of money just by running a ticket business the regular way on your home lot, with the business open 24 hours a day. You don't actually have to be there to earn the money.
Theorist
#11 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 4:29 AM
AndrewGloria, it came with Seasons.

Good point, Jo. Maybe it was employees who are supposed to fish? I'm surprised that's still in, kestrellyn. I thought that was fixed with the OFB patch. Funny they fixed the dreamcatchers appreciating (which I assumed was a deliberate thing) and left in the reviewer exploit.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 5:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell

Good point, Jo. Maybe it was employees who are supposed to fish? I'm surprised that's still in, kestrellyn. I thought that was fixed with the OFB patch. Funny they fixed the dreamcatchers appreciating (which I assumed was a deliberate thing) and left in the reviewer exploit.

Oh, well, I haven't tried it in a very long time, I guess they could have fixed it. Ticket businesses are still pretty stupid broken though.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 10:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
Thanks! That explains me not finding it. The odd thing is I thought I'd seen it in my game before. Clearly my memory is playing tricks on me. It must have just come up in discussion on this forum, and in retrospect I thought I'd seen it in my game. I do remember looking up dreamcatchers on Wikipedia though, because I hadn't a clue what they were.

When you include CC there are still some unintended oddities possible. The first burglary in my game was at Jack and Ravi's house in Mendoza Lane. Jack got up in the night to go to the toilet and found a burglar in the house. He used the 'phone to call the police who arrived quickly. There were some surreal aspects to the whole incident, including Ravi cleaning the shower and Jack playing with Ravi's radio-controlled toy car while the policeman fought the burglar, so the car was whizzing round their feet as they fought. Anyway the burglar was caught and the insurance paid up. All that was stolen was a §500 TV and Ravi's BMX bike which cost §32. But the insurance payout was over three thousand Simoleons! I said, "Jack, what pen did you use to fill out the claim form?" Anyone who knows Jack would know that he might be "creative" in making the claim.

It was long after that I realized what must really have happened. Mickyss must have cloned the bicycle from an expensive car. He must have lowered the initial price to something reasonable for a bike (actually it's cheap for a good bike), but he must never have changed its final depreciated value.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#14 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 11:58 AM