Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jun 2021 at 4:39 PM Last edited by sweet250 : 29th Jun 2021 at 12:47 AM.
Default Turning Custom-Bookcase into Display-Case (Solved 06/28/2021)
I have a question, or rather I need help turning a custom made bookcase by another creator (she is no longer making things for the Sims 3), into a display case. I don't want anyone to do this for me, but rather teach me how to do it, because I would like to learn.

I have looked at the files inside the object in question, but since I have no training in creating custom items, I have no idea were to start or what I must change, to make it work. I kinda think I know what I'm doing, but at the same time I'm confused as to what needs to be changed. So is there some-one out there willing to teach an old-dog a new trick please.

Thank you in advance
Sweet250
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 23rd Jun 2021 at 3:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweet250
I have a question, or rather I need help turning a custom made bookcase by another creator (she is no longer making things for the Sims 3), into a display case. I don't want anyone to do this for me, but rather teach me how to do it, because I would like to learn.

I have looked at the files inside the object in question, but since I have no training in creating custom items, I have no idea were to start or what I must change, to make it work. I kinda think I know what I'm doing, but at the same time I'm confused as to what needs to be changed. So is there some-one out there willing to teach an old-dog a new trick please.

Thank you in advance
Sweet250

Well after some trial and errors I have achieved about 90% of what I had intended to do , I have the object working with-out being a bookcase, but it doesn't open up to be storage. So I'll keep at it a little longer.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jun 2021 at 6:07 PM
Well after some trial and errors I have achieved about 90% of what I had intended to do , I have the object working with-out being a bookcase, but it doesn't open up to be storage. So I'll keep at it a little longer.

So after I posted this, I thought to myself on how to fix the issue I was having, and I removed 1 simple word, and now the item functions as a storage unit, and not a bookcase.

So thank you for all the help from the molder's with-in the group, every-one was very helpful.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Jun 2021 at 8:18 PM
So after I posted this, I thought to myself on how to fix the issue I was having, and I removed 1 simple word, and now the item functions as a storage unit, and not a bookcase.

So thank you for all the help from the molder's with-in the group, every-one was very helpful.
I've run into another brick wall, for some reason the items work, but they just don't open up as intended. Instead they flash a tag for the script line. Can any-one please help, because I'm pulling out my hair, and I might have to start pulling my wife's hair when mine runs out..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Jun 2021 at 7:39 AM
I've run into another brick wall, for some reason the items work, but they just don't open up as intended. Instead they flash a tag for the script line. Can any-one please help, because I'm pulling out my hair, and I might have to start pulling my wife's hair when mine runs out..

Just for those that would like to know the problem I'm having, I'll explain it here.

First I thought I had fixed the issue I was having with the item displaying what I was doing (mimicking it) when in buy mode, but would not open up as a storage unit. So I removed the word "mimic" from the script, only to find the I could not put the top on the item. So my issue is that in a nutshell. Does any-one know how to fix this? I would love some feedback on this, but then again maybe no-one here, knows how to fix it.
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#6 Old 25th Jun 2021 at 6:21 PM
Do you mean you want the bookshelf to act as different object that already exists in the game? The simplest way would be changing the script and seeing if that works, so you can either change the OBJK to the same thing as the OBJK of a display case, or use the transmogrifier mod to do that in-game and see if it works. Changing the OBJK sounds like what you've tried to do and what isn't working though I'm not 100% sure what you did and in what way it's not working :p

There might be issues with that method anyway because bookshelves have different geostates and so with the display case script you might not get the full version of the bookshelf mesh. There might also be issues with routing slots etc.
In that case, you might need to take more of an object creation approach, which will involve exporting the mesh and textures of the bookshelf, cloning a display case as a base, and importing the mesh and textures into that.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need more information or if I'm not understanding you right
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Jun 2021 at 9:26 PM Last edited by sweet250 : 26th Jun 2021 at 1:59 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
Do you mean you want the bookshelf to act as different object that already exists in the game? The simplest way would be changing the script and seeing if that works, so you can either change the OBJK to the same thing as the OBJK of a display case, or use the transmogrifier mod to do that in-game and see if it works. Changing the OBJK sounds like what you've tried to do and what isn't working though I'm not 100% sure what you did and in what way it's not working :p

There might be issues with that method anyway because bookshelves have different geostates and so with the display case script you might not get the full version of the bookshelf mesh. There might also be issues with routing slots etc.
In that case, you might need to take more of an object creation approach, which will involve exporting the mesh and textures of the bookshelf, cloning a display case as a base, and importing the mesh and textures into that.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need more information or if I'm not understanding you right
No that is exactly what I have done, but it just won't act as a display, since all I did do is change out the bookcase OBJK with a display case OBJK, but for some reason it wants to be the display case. So maybe I'll need some other way to do it since it is already a custom made item. Although I'm happy that it's not working as the bookcase right now. Maybe if I remove the Misc. storage tag it will be better.
Alchemist
#8 Old 27th Jun 2021 at 11:39 AM
Do you mean that objects won't place in the bookcase mesh (not in its inventory, but on the shelves)?

Because to do that, you need to add container slots in TSRW. It's easier if you clone an object with existing slots (like a shelf or desk) and import your mesh on top of it and edit the slots.
It's been ages since I edited a bookshelf, but can you delete geostates? You may also need to export the mesh and delete parts of it to make room for other objects.

When I made the barrels from WA act as wine storage units, I remember also replacing the FTPT resource with one from a wine rack. Otherwise sims would throw routefail tantrums when directed to open the rack (as opposed to using the player's instant "Open" interaction — the one with a red circle button (?) ).

I'm not sure how TSRW would react if you were to clone the shelf, import the mesh, edit the slot data, export as a .package, replace the FTPT resource with one from an WA/IP chest, then reimport it into TSRW to edit the entry slots. However, for purely gameplay purposes, you don't really need to replace the FTPT resource. Sims don't open treasure chests autonomously so you wouldn't have lag from them trying to open the storage and routefailing.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Jun 2021 at 3:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
Do you mean that objects won't place in the bookcase mesh (not in its inventory, but on the shelves)?

Because to do that, you need to add container slots in TSRW. It's easier if you clone an object with existing slots (like a shelf or desk) and import your mesh on top of it and edit the slots.
It's been ages since I edited a bookshelf, but can you delete geostates? You may also need to export the mesh and delete parts of it to make room for other objects.

When I made the barrels from WA act as wine storage units, I remember also replacing the FTPT resource with one from a wine rack. Otherwise sims would throw routefail tantrums when directed to open the rack (as opposed to using the player's instant "Open" interaction — the one with a red circle button (?) ).

I'm not sure how TSRW would react if you were to clone the shelf, import the mesh, edit the slot data, export as a .package, replace the FTPT resource with one from an WA/IP chest, then reimport it into TSRW to edit the entry slots. However, for purely gameplay purposes, you don't really need to replace the FTPT resource. Sims don't open treasure chests autonomously so you wouldn't have lag from them trying to open the storage and routefailing.
No, the slots work fine, It's the storage part that's not working, but it's no big deal to me. Maybe I should have some-one with more experience look at my work, then maybe they would be able to see were I went wrong. Other than that, I'm not sure how to fix it.
Alchemist
#10 Old 27th Jun 2021 at 8:06 PM
Can you upload the .package file here?

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Jun 2021 at 8:51 PM
Can you upload the .package file here?
Yeah, I'll pack original files in also, so you can see what I'm trying to do. I'll also upload the file on the object I'm trying to use.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Working edit(s).rar (2.81 MB, 3 downloads)
Alchemist
#12 Old 27th Jun 2021 at 9:15 PM
I don't know if you have World Adventures, but I changed the script class to:
Code:
Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.TombObjects.TreasureChestChina

and it works, as you can see in the attached picture.

If you want your edit to be independent of the EPs, you can use Treeag's storage mod script, but anyone who wants to use your object as storage will need to have Treeag's mod too.

ETA screenshot descriptions haven't been saved, smh.
#1 interactions available on object with treasure chest script.
#2 open object inventory.
#3 sim throws routefail tantrum when using the "Look Inside" interaction.
Screenshots

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 28th Jun 2021 at 12:00 AM
I don't know if you have World Adventures, but I changed the script class to:
Code:
Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.TombObjects.TreasureChestChina

and it works, as you can see in the attached picture.

If you want your edit to be independent of the EPs, you can use Treeag's storage mod script, but anyone who wants to use your object as storage will need to have Treeag's mod too.

ETA screenshot descriptions haven't been saved, smh.
#1 interactions available on object with treasure chest script.
#2 open object inventory.
#3 sim throws routefail tantrum when using the "Look Inside" interaction.

Yes I've got all EP's and SP's so I'll have no trouble with what you've done, and it looks great. Thank you for your help
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 28th Jun 2021 at 7:13 PM
Yes I've got all EP's and SP's so I'll have no trouble with what you've done, and it looks great. Thank you for your help

After looking at the whole thing, I've come to realize that my problem wasn't with the displays, but with the "Top" of the displays. No matter what I have tried the tops won't go onto the displays with-out the word "mimics" being used to describe the item used for the displays, but once I remove that word the displays function as I want them to, except for the top...
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Bookshelf - Display Top.rar (63.2 KB, 2 downloads)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 29th Jun 2021 at 12:47 AM
After looking at the whole thing, I've come to realize that my problem wasn't with the displays, but with the "Top" of the displays. No matter what I have tried the tops won't go onto the displays with-out the word "mimics" being used to describe the item used for the displays, but once I remove that word the displays function as I want them to, except for the top...

After testing the tops with the change you made Sweetdevil, I want to say thank you, because even the tops are no longer giving me a problem. So now I can say the issue is SOLVED....