Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#276 Old 4th Jul 2005 at 2:02 PM
Usually, Maxis sets (sofa/loveseat/chair) are all linked together, and they all share the same textures.
As you might guess, this is not a "bug"; on the contrary, it's a fine recolouring tecnique that spares a lot of precious system resources.

Either the creator has kept these internal links by chance, but in an improper way, or he has broken these links, the result is the same: the three pieces of the set will have recolouring problems.

I can't be more specific without looking into the packages. Anyway, you can perform a preliminary check by yourself, reading this throubleshooting check-list, and then you can post here the faulty packages, in order for us to take a look.
In any case, I'd like to know who is this "creator": I can understand if someone simply can't know everything, but I'd expect from this people at least an attempt to solve the problems, when the users point them out...

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#277 Old 4th Jul 2005 at 3:31 PM Last edited by nancyw41 : 4th Jul 2005 at 3:33 PM. Reason: more info
Thanks for your response. I looked at all 3 and the chair and loveseat, which do not seem to have any problems, do not have a "material override" file, while the sofa does. The sofa shows up fine, but without the recolors of the club sofa, from which it was cloned. Could this be the difference?
And about the creator, she is well-known, but from another site. Maybe I just caught her on a bad day.
Thanks again.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#278 Old 4th Jul 2005 at 4:43 PM
The missing Material Override is normal, every time the object doesn't have its own textures but, on the contrary, borrows them from an external object.
In your case, the sofa is the "main" object and probably was not correctly colour-enabled: you say that it has a Material Override, and this means that it won't take external textures; you expect it to borrow the textures from the club sofa, but this can't be done if the sofa has its own Material Override.
Maybe the creator made it this way, it was not a mistake.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#279 Old 7th Jul 2005 at 1:04 PM
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction - I originally created an object that was working great but I found out it only worked for those who had th EP because of the item I had chosen to clone. I decided to redo the package using a clone from the original game "Barocccoco Loveseat". I chose this item because I needed the two models "fabric" and "frame". This is when I learned that the loveseats are borrowing from the sofas. This was causing me problems so I redid as a stand alone (should I have done this?). My object and it's recolors now show up in the game and seem to be working well but I've somehow created a problem for the original item I cloned. The original "baroccoco loveseat" now has an additional option that is showing up with a "blue" frame and the "baroccoco sofa" now has an additional option that is showing up with a "blue cushion".

Using the tutorials and troubleshooting checklist, I thought I had everything correct - I'm now totally lost. Anyone have an idea where I might have gone wrong?

You can find all of my creations here

"The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend" Robertson Davies
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#280 Old 7th Jul 2005 at 2:23 PM
The blue frame on the original sofa can be due to two main reasons:
1) by mistake, in one (or more) of the Material Overrides contained in the new package still there is a reference to the original sofa, either in the "modelName" field or in the "objectGUID" fieldM
2) you have a bad recolour package for the original sofa in the download folder, and you simply have not realized before.

If neither of the two are true, post here the cloned sofa, and I'll take a look.

Lab Assistant
#281 Old 7th Jul 2005 at 2:43 PM
Numenor - Thank you for quick response and assistance. I checked the Material Overides "modelname" and "ojectGUID" as you suggested and they both are referencing "my" object name and GUID. It never occurred to me that I already may of had a bad recolor package on the sofa - I, of course, assume that the errors are always mine . I'm off to work now but will check that out this evening. If that is not the case I will post the cloned sofa for you to look at - the help is always really, really, really appreciated. Thank you so much!

Lab Assistant
#282 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 4:36 AM Last edited by Little_Tx_Mama : 8th Jul 2005 at 9:14 PM. Reason: remove file
Numenor - I've been working on my problem all evening and think I have it resolved. The blue textures on the "original" loveseat and sofa were definitely my fault :argh:.

I knew enough to look at my new object again with the help of your checklist. I believe I had some unnecessary material overide and texture files, all referencing the original sofa. I took a chance and deleted those. No more blue on the originals and the new object seems to be working right.

Would you mind looking at the file to see if there is anything related to those files that I might also need to delete or just the opposite, something I shouldn't have deleted. While the end result may have been correct, I want to know the process I used was correct. Not quite comfortable yet with my understanding of how each file type relates to the other.

Thank you for your assistance!!

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#283 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 5:05 PM
Little_Tx_Mama, everything seems in good order, in your package. Good work! SimPE has a useful tool, that can help you understanding and checking the internal links: it's the Scenegrapher, and it's located in the Tools.
The Scenegrapher can tell you if there are useless files to delete, or on the contrary if some file is missing.

Lab Assistant
#284 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 9:22 PM
I'm learning something new everyday - Thanks for the infomation, the assistance, the tutorials and everything else you contribute!! I have removed my file from the above post - I now feel I'm headed in the right direction. :D

Test Subject
#285 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 2:06 PM
:confused: [SIZE=5][COLOR=Purple]Hello ther I have a question because I made a babybox and I wanted to put the box in SimPE by folow the tutorial by J Woods because that's a very cood tutorial, my compliments by the way.
The radio worked well, but by the Box I cannot get a collor so the box is good, what do I do wrong? Or How do I get collors in the picture
My thanks Koenak[/COLOR][/SIZE]

In SimPE My box looks like this:
Mesh Maestro
#286 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 2:51 PM
If you could upload your package it would be much easier to find the error... Do your shape names match those in your GMDC? Can't tell by the image...
Test Subject
#287 Old 11th Jul 2005 at 2:01 PM
Where do I find the shape or what is the shape?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#288 Old 11th Jul 2005 at 2:26 PM
Look in the upper-left window ("Filetypes" window), in SimPE: in the shown list, click on "Shape", then in the center window select the Shape file (the attached pictuare does *not* refer to a boombox, obviously; it's just an example)
Screenshots

Test Subject
#289 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 9:17 PM Last edited by Koenak : 12th Jul 2005 at 10:19 PM.
I put something in the game that I made, but look at the box, I have something to work about hihihi

Thanks for the help j woods and numenor I hope I spell it ok

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/Koenak/Box.jpg
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#290 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 10:33 PM
Koenak, your object lays down that way because of the "XYZ/XZY" selector near the Export button: you should always keep it in the XYZ position (check it often, before each importing and exporting, because it always returns to the default XZY position).
Test Subject
#291 Old 13th Jul 2005 at 10:38 PM
Ok thanks for the tip, thats a little bit less work than I thouth tank you I let you see when the box works properly
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#292 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 2:00 AM
Update SimPE to v. 042: it remembers the last setting for the XYZ selector (so you don't have to change it every time)
Test Subject
#293 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 6:10 PM
How do I update simpE, so that I don't have to eraze this simpe?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#294 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 6:40 PM
Download the latest version from http://sims.ambertation.de and run the installer: it does everything automatically (it will uninstall the previous version).

Test Subject
#295 Old 15th Jul 2005 at 1:29 PM
Thank You very much for the help

Test Subject
#296 Old 15th Jul 2005 at 3:41 PM
The Box works, yes,
I have to perfect the box and than I will let you see the box Thank You Very Much.

Now I know what I did Wrong, Why the Box was fallen,
In Milkshape I turned the box with the wrong picture, I had to do it with de picture of left (In the right corner above) I hope you can understand me.
Inventor
#297 Old 16th Jul 2005 at 10:22 AM
Hi Numenor, Hi JWoods.. Well, I'm here because I'm lost. :o
I had asked about animations, which was told the bed tutorial. I've been looking for 2 hours this am.. Cannot find it! I did see where (Numenor) pointed out the BASE Bed, the Colonial. That's one step in the right direction. But I cannot find that tutorial and the links provided here are not working, like http://www.modthesims2.com/attachme...achmentid=42427
I cannot go there, supposed to be the list of clones and master objects.
Could one of you two please point me in the right direction? Thank you and thank you both for your knowledge.. And sharing it!! And you're friendly.. :D
That's a bonus.

xts
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#298 Old 16th Jul 2005 at 1:59 PM
XTS, I couldn't find the posts you are referring to (the ones that contain the invalid link). But mind that many information posted at the beginning of this thread are quite outdated.
Test Subject
#299 Old 16th Jul 2005 at 4:42 PM Last edited by DreamSims : 16th Jul 2005 at 4:57 PM. Reason: added picture
Default Texture problem
Hello JWoods, here is my chair... it works fine in the game but the textures are appearing in the object I cloned it from. Very very confused! Rachael
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  DS-ModernChair-160705.rar (82.0 KB, 10 downloads) - View custom content
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#300 Old 16th Jul 2005 at 5:02 PM
DreamSims, I can't check your package with the PC I'm currently using, but I'm quite sure there's something wrong in the Material Overrides: check, in particular, the "modelName" field, that should point to your custom Resource Node name, and the "objectGUID" field, that should be the GUID that you have registered for your object (you have registered a new GUID for it, haven't you?).
Page 12 of 15