Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#26 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 5:56 PM Last edited by Branes : 16th Jun 2009 at 6:56 PM.
Having decent custom content for Sims 3 is highly unlikely since EA has stated outwardly that they refuse to release any tools to allow custom modders as most people here already know. There already are some nice replacement skins and hacks here, but I wouldn't expect TS3 to have anything like the flood of custom content TS2 had unless EA relents on their absolutely asinine, self-destructive, anti-bottom line, we're so big we think we can do anything and our lemming customers will buy it, attitude. EA should remember one name Sierra-on-line..at one time the one of the biggest computer game companies..king of the graphic adventure..Kings Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry...now a subsidiary of Blizzard/Activision...why? Two bad games...that's it...two. Low sales, bad rep..no cash. If they persist with this "no custom content" attitude, I foresee Blizzard/Activision/EA....
I wonder what that really big Sims paysite thinks about this "no custom content" idea..since their very existence depends on it.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#27 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 5:59 PM
They didn't give us any tools for TS2 besides Body Shop and Homecrafter, which really didn't let us do very much besides some recolours. There's already work being done on meshes too - we'll have plenty of CC for TS3 - as long as EA doesn't decide to patch it so it can't use CC at all, since we're currently using a workaround to get it to work at all.

But, then, I'm sure we could find a way around THAT too, it'd just be a pain. :P

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 6:38 PM
don't know why EA should complain about or make it more difficult to make cc, if we're not selling it (with paysites it's a whole other story).
and sims in TS3 have a lot of potential to become really beautiful with some cc, and the game really amazing with more object meshes and such things.

my two cents.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 6:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
Okay, okay, so I was exaggerating!
My point is there's something really wrong with the lighting in game. There's no reason subtle blush should ever show up blackened. Here's a pic (albeit, a small one) that probably illustrates the problem better.

That does look scary... mine don't look like that! Maybe you should tweak your settings? Perhaps it has something to do with the combination made of your monitor settings and game settings?
Theorist
#30 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by blondynka
That does look scary... mine don't look like that! Maybe you should tweak your settings? Perhaps it has something to do with the combination made of your monitor settings and game settings?

My settings are all set to max, smooth edges to max, the only one not max is the one about the number of neighboring buildings which is at the default of 4.
I don't know, maybe it's a problem with nVidia graphics? I have a GeForce 9800GT 512MB in two PC's and they both look the same. Other people have mentioned seeing the same thing, it could be they have nVidia graphics as well?
What kind of video card do you have?

Resident wet blanket.
Test Subject
#31 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 8:06 PM
My settings are all set to max, smooth edges to max, the only one not max is the one about the number of neighboring buildings which is at the default of 4.
I don't know, maybe it's a problem with nVidia graphics? I have a GeForce 9800GT 512MB in two PC's and they both look the same. Other people have mentioned seeing the same thing, it could be they have nVidia graphics as well?

I actually have the same issue, but with an ATI Radeon 9800 HD. It really is just brutish lighting on the game's part. Perhaps other people don't notice because it usually occurs outside (on their way to a community lot, or the carpool, etc) and usually changes rapidly--though rarely for the better.

Branes, it seems a little early to give up on CC. The game hasn't been out that long. EA has done nothing to overtly prevent creators from creating; albeit, they don't necessarily help them along, but that's no surprise. Besides, creators have been repeating across this entire forum since the launch of the game that they're working on it, it is possible, but it's pretty complicated.

the curious that wander are my prey
they come rolling in to be the heart of my sin
-take their souls and put them in their graves-
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 8:21 PM

I am not sure of the exact number, but it is a Nividia card. I am playing on a brand new iMac. Who knows, maybe it's a platform thing.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#33 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 8:22 PM
It's a universal thing. Depends on the lighting but everyone gets it. Vista, XP, Mac, different cards... I hate it. It's so fugly.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 8:25 PM
There will always be work arounds, even if EA patches the program so that we can't "easily" add custom content. There are so many people out there with so much talent that have worked with The Sims from the beginning or even new members that just really understand how that sort of thing works.

I think one of the greatest things that sets The Sims franchise apart is the fact that there is the option for custom content and it was this (mts2) style of community that perhaps opened EA's eyes a bit and made them realize that there is a market for this "after the fact" content. So, if there is a market it would be common sense to cater to that market, which is also just a stones throw away from seeing user-created (free) content as a threat to said market. Really I have no idea what EA would do because there is so much to weigh in pros/cons of eliminating user-created content; I'm just thinking out loud. I know that the immediate answer of a "money-hungry" machine would be to lock-down the market, eliminate any competition, and hold a monopoly... this is the great thing about free-lance programmers and hackers; spite is a wonderful thing and a lot of times the motivation for finding work-arounds.

Basically, I hope that EA does not take steps to limit our creativity and ability to enjoy the game in such a way, but I can't blame them if they try to take control of a market.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 8:58 PM
Well, there's an option on the UI to show only "custom content" so surely that means it's at least possible, if not easy?
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 9:47 PM
I agree with the OP, things will be fabby with CC.

But the kids scare the crap out of me. They look possessed, especially when you click on something for them to do and the menu comes up with their face in the centre. POSSESSED.
Instructor
#37 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HelloClarice
Well, there's an option on the UI to show only "custom content" so surely that means it's at least possible, if not easy?

The custom content they are referring to is the stuff you buy from their store...

While modders will find a way to do what they want, I don't think the average person will be able to implement those mods without jacking their game up. I know that I "broke" my game just by trying to use the "no intro" mod and Pescado's mod at the same time. And while I'm not an expert at computers I'm certainly not a novice either. It took me two days to figure out exactly what went wrong.

When they come out with hair and skins and stuff for our sims, it won't be a matter of simply dropping the files in the downloads folder anymore, files will need to be overridden and I think that's a problem because it makes it so much harder to undo.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 12:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by alyria80
The custom content they are referring to is the stuff you buy from their store...

While modders will find a way to do what they want, I don't think the average person will be able to implement those mods without jacking their game up. I know that I "broke" my game just by trying to use the "no intro" mod and Pescado's mod at the same time. And while I'm not an expert at computers I'm certainly not a novice either. It took me two days to figure out exactly what went wrong.

When they come out with hair and skins and stuff for our sims, it won't be a matter of simply dropping the files in the downloads folder anymore, files will need to be overridden and I think that's a problem because it makes it so much harder to undo.

I wonder if a simple backup such as "packagename.package" to "packagename_.package" would be a simple solution to the overwrite problem. I know we do that when we are screwing with things in other programs.
Field Researcher
#39 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 3:26 PM
It's not difficult to make sims look good in Sims 3 CAS, but they look completely different in the game... blotchy, less detail, overly contrasty, sometimes even creepy, makeup looks like bruises, etc. -- Although yes, with the right textures and LIGHTING, Sims 3 sims could look really good.

I couldn't agree more with this because I think this really is one of the biggest problems in TS3. I sometimes fall in love with a sim I've made in CAS but once I see him in game, he looks totally different... and definitely not in a good way. I hope this can be fixed somehow.

I don't mind cartoony skins etc. anymore because I've grown to like Maxis Match look and custom content in TS2. I love the TS3 eyes and I'd be happy with the skins too if they looked just a little bit more detailed and better with the in-game lighting. New hair meshes are something I'm looking forward because I don't really like the ones we have now.

LJ
Test Subject
#40 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 3:34 PM
The biggest letdown for me was that I finally learned how to install cc for TS2 about 3 or 4 months before TS3 came out. I had all of my pretty defaults, and they're all gone now, for the sake of making TS3 play with as little lag as possible.
Instructor
#41 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 3:36 PM Last edited by sayyadina : 17th Jun 2009 at 3:48 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by TheShady
(Heavily manipulated) Pictures of beautiful people... So what?

I don't want another fest of ideal puppets like in basically anything that you don't see with your own two eyes, whether it be TV, movie or magazine. I'm honestly fed up with this extreme lust for ideal perfection.

Same here. I think it went to far in the sims 2 in some way and got boring. I loved the custom eyes, make-up and skintones that added some eerie realism, but still...I want my sim to be actually realistic, not just "perfect". My "ideal" beauty is the kind you can catch a glimpse of in real people with real "defects" that makes them interesting. But I also noted a lot of people made bruises and scars for the sims 2, there where a lot (still is),of movieprops and storytelling cc like that, and I used it in my game as well.
I think its far more easy to make realistic sims in sims3 in CAS! But they do look a bit weird in game, they don't move as gracefully as in the sims 2, and somehow remind me of angry sailors (whatever that is called in English, I don't know...)
...and I just skip the blush.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. "
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 4:12 PM
Okay, okay, so I was exaggerating!
My point is there's something really wrong with the lighting in game. There's no reason subtle blush should ever show up blackened. Here's a pic (albeit, a small one) that probably illustrates the problem better.

I definitely see it in this pic, but the blond girl looked fine to me. I don't like the makeup in the game though so I don't use much on my sims except maybe some eyeshadow.
Test Subject
#43 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 5:06 PM
I'm simply looking forward to what truly talented artists can do for the Sims 3 characters. From what they started with in Sims2 I was in awe of what they ended up with. I enjoyed the fantasy perfection that was created, but it is realistic details that gets my attention, like the chin cleft... wrinkles that show minor aging, not make everyone 75 years old, etc.

For the time I can live with the characters I create in CAS. What I'm having a hard time living with is there is only one style (big & bulky at that) of bed that has the best stats allowing less time sleeping which is THE most boring part of the game to me.

Just a thought, but I think EA missed the boat to allowing choices. If we can "upgrade" tubs to self-cleaning, why can't we "upgrade" the perfect style bed for our bedroom to include the better stats?
Test Subject
#44 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 10:06 PM
If, and when, my sims in Sims 3 can look closer to that end picture on the first post is when I will be more immersed in playing the game. I actually DO prefer the playing dynamics of Sims 3 over Sims 2, but at the end of the day the lack of CC at present really does keep me from playing it as much as I would like to. So until more CC becomes available and I can really personalize everything about my sims, I will continue to play Sims 2 more I'm sure.
Scholar
#45 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 6:59 AM
You haven't? Here is an example of what I mean:

On the left, she just has the lightest pink blush. You can see on her pie menu face, it's real subtle. However, her in-game pic, the blush looks like someone beat her. Top right shows the weird lighting giving her skin a doughey appearance. Her pie menu face looks sooo much better. Bottom left shows there's too much light contrast giving her a creepy look, makes me think of when someone shines a flashlight on their face to tell ghost stories.
Most of the time it's much worse, it's just harder to capture a good example when I deliberately set out to. The in-game lighting needs adjustment before the sims can look good, but that's just my opinion.

Congratulations! You just gave me my first moment of uncanny valley horror I've had with TS3! :D

Seriously, I freaked a little when I saw that picture.

Right now I'm happier using the base game skin because I'm just not happy with the skins that have been put out. They look a little bit too shiny, or there's too much musculature, or something along those lines. I prefer sims that are somewhat more realistic looking, but in ways that are both "good" and "bad". Making the eyes look better and the skin a little less bland is good, but I also want a little bit of varied texture on skin, not just a shiny smooth surface.
Scholar
#46 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sayyadina
Same here. I think it went to far in the sims 2 in some way and got boring. I loved the custom eyes, make-up and skintones that added some eerie realism, but still...I want my sim to be actually realistic, not just "perfect". My "ideal" beauty is the kind you can catch a glimpse of in real people with real "defects" that makes them interesting. But I also noted a lot of people made bruises and scars for the sims 2, there where a lot (still is),of movieprops and storytelling cc like that, and I used it in my game as well.
I think its far more easy to make realistic sims in sims3 in CAS! But they do look a bit weird in game, they don't move as gracefully as in the sims 2, and somehow remind me of angry sailors (whatever that is called in English, I don't know...)
...and I just skip the blush.

The beauty of The Sims is that each person can make the sims they want and play however they want...heck, some of us mix it up depending on what we're in the mood for. Personally, I like my pretty Barbie doll sims..but when I'm making clones of real people, I like to make them look like they really look. Sure, some of my neighborhoods aren't "realistic", but when I'm playing a video game like the Sims or WOW, the last thing I want is the real world...I'm kind of momentarily escaping from it. I would like some realistic options though, because I do create real people. I've seen alot of posts that say that playing the Sims is kind of a secret vice and folks are embarassed to admit they play, but even though I get teased about my Sims (I'm a 43 year old mother of 4), these same people will make a point to check out what's going on in my game, and many of them have asked me to turn them into Sims. So even though I like "pretty and unrealistic", I also enjoy "real"...and some realistic imperfections would be cool CC-wise. Just sayin'.

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 12:07 PM
Custom Content and No Eye Candy
Okay I have to admit, I like how the Sims 3 Graphics are an obvious upgrade. Though I'm too bothered of how doll like they look. I mean YOU can't say it didn't bother you because come on let's get real. Who didn't download Default Sim Eyes that look more real or downloaded any Sims that looked real or attractive? Obviously some one without out Internet or didn't know how to use the internet. But most of the Custom Content is what made the Game Yours and Fun! So what if I want my Sim Dude or Girl to marry a beautiful looking mate. Besides Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, for each his own.

Also who doesn't have like over 1000 files of custom Skins and another 1000 to Walls/Floors/and other objects! Why?! Because we love CUSTOM CONTENT! This site is devoted to custom content alone and people who download them, make them, use them, and love them! Custom Content to make Movies, or stories to live out your dreams and darkest secrets! When Nightlife came out who didn't want to play a Vampire at least once?

I do like the fact that you have great modifications on personality and body shape and weight. But there's things missing too. I want to see my Sims shop at a Store or Dance in a club! I want to run Brad Pitt's Sim CLONE or See Harry Potter walk inside my CUSTOM Made Town. I love my modern designer furniture and my Gothy dresses and wall paper! The most beautiful moment being you didn't have to pay a cent because gracious makers made it for you to download for FREE! :lovestruc

I'm just saying EA needs to stop being Greedy because this is the sad truth my mom plays Sims2 then played Sims3 she realized how shallow she was in the Sim World. :p

Which is kind of funny too.
Theorist
#48 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 12:35 PM
I'm going to repeat some of the above. First off, the lighting is horrible, especially inside the houses. I have to ramp up cheats and get about 1,000 simoleons worth of lamps to get the inside looking bright enough.

I hate the lack of hairstyles. The toddlers all look the same with the, what 4 styles to choose from? Their faces if they are born in game seem very similar, too. Adding a bow to short hair doesn't do much for me.

The sims I make in CAS look worse in the game. (probably the lighting). Their makeup looks screwed up sometimes. Their skin seems miscolored...

I am not one for all drop dead gorgeous sims every time, but I like to make them unique and interesting looking. How do I do that in Sims 2? CC!! Weird glasses, wrinkles, moles, various freckle combinations. In Sims 3 I have seen 'townies' due to the lack of CC that look a lot like my own sims (long or mid length black hair). I keep saying, "Whoa, is that my So and So? But how???"

I am another person having problems download CC. (I consider myself somewhat computer literate but all these weird package things and whatever confuse me). I managed to get in some shirts someone made, and the blur remover, but I am not sure about anything else...

Nice of them to make this game hard 'to change' or 'modify.'

I like how the skies look, the stars, and the water. Very good graphics, cool sunrises and sunsets. But when we can change the Sims to look a little more real then I will be more impressed.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 1:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alyria80

My store content doesn't show up when I click it.
Test Subject
#50 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 3:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HCAC
I'm going to repeat some of the above. First off, the lighting is horrible, especially inside the houses. I have to ramp up cheats and get about 1,000 simoleons worth of lamps to get the inside looking bright enough.

The lighting in Sims 3, specifically indoors, act way different than in Sims 2. In Sims 2 it didn't really matter where the light was located, the lamp would light the whole room equally. Only dimness and colors were different per light fixture. In Sims 3 however, the location matters and sometimes it can come off as looking odd depending on where you placed the lamp. Like for example, placing a lamp behind the tv made the screen dull, and placing it right in front made it too reflective, but placing it at a certain angle was just right. I find that in order to get some good lighting I try to make sure the room gets an equal amount of it, so I'd place a lamp at each wall and if it looks too bright inside or too dull there is an option from the lights to dim them or brighten them and even change the colors of the light. It's a bit more tricky than lighting in sims 2, but it's possible to get it just right.
Page 2 of 3