Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

LotExpander for Free Time (Obsolete)

by Mootilda Posted 21st Aug 2007 at 1:43 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 9:09 PM by Nysha

279 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 275 Feedback Posts, 3 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 10 of 12
Test Subject
#226 Old 3rd Jul 2008 at 5:13 PM
.....Hiii I'm having the same issues with my lotexpander because I have Vista ...can you convert it for me please?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#227 Old 3rd Jul 2008 at 9:34 PM
Attach a zip file containing the lot and neighborhood packages and let me know the neighborhood name, the lot name, and the current lot size for verification, plus the new size that you want and I'll see what I can do.
Test Subject
#228 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 12:18 AM
Ok thanks...I'm gonna read your previous instructions to asee how to do it exactly
Test Subject
#229 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 1:47 AM
the current lot size is 5x4 I want it 6x4 by increasing the backyard...the neighborhood is Pleasantview..and lot is num 148...question..where to I send my zip files?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#230 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 2:00 AM
Attach the zip file to your post here.
Test Subject
#231 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 2:10 AM Last edited by Cheelie222 : 4th Jul 2008 at 2:20 AM. Reason: Crap I forgot to hit save changes...one more
Here they are
I finally found it
Attached files:
File Type: zip  N001_Lot148.zip (1.62 MB, 6 downloads)
File Type: zip  N001_Neighborhood.zip (687.2 KB, 5 downloads)
Site Helper
Original Poster
#232 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 6:02 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 4th Jul 2008 at 6:13 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Cheelie222
I finally found it
OK, I expanded "Chateau de Lumière 2" at the back. Assuming that you have a current backup, just copy the new versions of the neighborhood and lot package over the old ones. Be sure to check that everything is working well before you delete your backup.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Expanded.zip (2.23 MB, 5 downloads)
Test Subject
#233 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 6:11 PM
Ok Where can I get it from..like where did you upload it?..My bad I see it I just woke up so I a lil off lol
Test Subject
#234 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 6:56 PM
Thanks it worked
Test Subject
#235 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 7:00 PM
I hope the lot expander 'suddenly starts working' just as how it 'suddenly stopped working' because it is greatly needed
Site Helper
Original Poster
#236 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 10:16 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 5th Jul 2008 at 4:00 PM.
The LotExpander still works just fine. However, some people have their Vista machines set up so that Microsoft .NET is unable to find the SimPE DLLs which the LotExpander requires. I don't have access to Vista and the documentation on .NET is horrible, so it's difficult for me to figure out what's wrong with those particular machine setups.

Things don't just "suddenly start working" or "suddenly stop working". The most likely explanation is that you have updated something on your machine which has specifically disabled .NET's ability to find the appropriate DLLs. It won't start working again until you manage to re-enable that ability.

I'm happy to expand lots for people who are having problems. Anyone who has a working version can expand lots for someone who cannot. All that I did was:

1) Setup a new directory anywhere on the hard disk with the neighborhood package in it. This way, there's no concern about conflicts with existing saved games.
2) Under the new directory, setup a subdirectory called "Lots" with the lot package in it.
3) Run the LotAdjuster and use the "Browse" button to get access to the neighborhood package in the new directory. Then, proceed as usual.

Also, you shouldn't post multiple times in a row. If no one else has posted since your last post, just use "Edit" to add the new information to your previous post.
Test Subject
#237 Old 7th Jul 2008 at 10:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
I'll assume that you don't have SimPE installed on your system.

You need to find two files: the neighborhood package and the lot package, then add them to a zip file. Don't try to "package" them inside the game; it won't help.

Each neighborhood is stored in its own directory under:
my documents\ea games\the sims 2\neighborhoods

N001 - Pleasantview
N002 - Strangetown
N003 - Veronaville
G001 - the Seasons neighborhood
F001 - the FreeTime neighborhood

I believe that custom neighborhoods are all named N###. If you don't know which neighborhood you need, you can view the PNG file in each neighborhood directory to try to identify it.

I would suggest that you make a backup of the entire neighborhood directory, just in case something goes wrong with the expanded file. Keep your backup until you've tested the files that you get back from me, and don't play in the interim, since you'll lose everything that you do when you replace the files with the expanded version.

The neighborhood package is named <neighborhood prefix>_neighborhood.package (for example, Pleasantview is N001_Neighborhood.package). You will want to copy this file into your zip file.

The easiest way to find your lot package is to run the game, enter the lot, then save and exit. Look under the Lots subdirectory within your neighborhood directory and find the file which changed most recently. It will have the name <neighborhood prefix>_Lot#.package (for example, the Goth house in Pleasantview is N001_Lot11.package). Copy this file into your zip file as well.

Add the zip file to a post here and let me know the name of the neighborhood and lot (so that I can check that I've actually got the correct files). I'll expand your lot and then you can copy the expanded versions back over the old versions.

Please let me know if you have any problems with these instructions.

Hi Mootilda,

Many thanks and apologies for the delay in responding (I was on vacay in Montreal for the weekend )
I have attached the zip file. It includes the N001 (Pleasantview) neighbourhood and the lot+house for the Jubilee family (50 Middle Lane, I believe). I don't recall what the current size of the lot is but I want it maximized to 6x6. It can be expanded from the back and only ONE side (your left if you look at the house facing its front door). I verified that this can be done by temporarily removing the lot and placing an empty 6x6 lot there.

Thank you a million times.

Best regards,
Fred
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Neighbourhood_and_Lot.zip (1.93 MB, 5 downloads)
Site Helper
Original Poster
#238 Old 8th Jul 2008 at 7:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simfreddy
I have attached the zip file. It includes the N001 (Pleasantview) neighbourhood and the lot+house for the Jubilee family (50 Middle Lane, I believe). I don't recall what the current size of the lot is but I want it maximized to 6x6. It can be expanded from the back and only ONE side (your left if you look at the house facing its front door). I verified that this can be done by temporarily removing the lot and placing an empty 6x6 lot there.
OK, I expanded 50 Middle Lane to 6x6 at the back and left (it was 3x3). Be sure to backup before overwriting your existing files and keep the backup until you are sure that everything is OK.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Expanded.zip (1.87 MB, 5 downloads)
Test Subject
#239 Old 12th Jul 2008 at 6:52 AM
Hi Mootilda,

My apologies for the late response, I only got a chance to try this tonight.

So the lot did get expanded but all is not golden! In fact, far from it! :P

In the neighborhood, the lot looked empty. I entered the lot and the house is there but something's wrong. It's even expanded in the direction I wanted, but not quite properly.

I have attached photos of the front and back of the house with the lot boundary highlighted in red. The road looks messed up (it's cut by the lot, lol!). I think the program has got its directions all confused coz now when I attempt to put a driveway there (you know how they only go one way?), it goes in the direction opposite to that which it used to.

I restored my backup and attached a photo of the neighborhood, zoomed in on the lot in question, before it was expanded. Lastly, I attached a photo of the lot+house before the modifications were made. I have highlighted the lot boundaries in all photos.

Do you think you could do something about this? SHould I reposition the house first or something like that?

Many thanks as always,
Fred
Attached files:
File Type: zip  N001_Lot106.zip (239.2 KB, 6 downloads)
Site Helper
Original Poster
#240 Old 12th Jul 2008 at 11:38 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 23rd Jul 2008 at 5:45 PM. Reason: additional information about game behavior
I took a look at your pictures and it just looks like you didn't finish the expansion by following the "Phase 2" instructions in the LotExpander tutorial:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...3&postcount=410

Specifically:

1) Run the game, edit the lot, make one change (like picking up a door or window and then placing it back in the same spot), then save the lot and exit to the neighborhood. This step regenerates the lot imposter, which is the view of the lot from the neighborhood. Without this step, an expanded lot will appear empty in the neighborhood view and you will not be able to move this lot in the neighborhood until the lot imposter is regenerated.

2) Pick up the lot in the neighborhood view and place it back down where you want it. This step regenerates the roads on the lot, which is a necessary step when expanding to the left or right. Without this step, the road will only exist where it was on the lot before the expansion occurred.

Please let me know if you have any further problems, or if you've decided that you would prefer to have the house expanded in a different direction.
Test Subject
#241 Old 13th Jul 2008 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
I took a look at your pictures and it just looks like you didn't finish the expansion by following the "Phase 2" instructions in the LotExpander tutorial:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...3&postcount=410

Specifically:

1) Run the game, edit the lot, make one change (like picking up a door or window and then placing it back in the same spot), then save the lot and exit to the neighborhood. This step regenerates the lot imposter, which is the view of the lot from the neighborhood. Without this step, an expanded lot will appear empty in the neighborhood view.

2) Pick up the lot in the neighborhood view and place it back down where you want it. This step regenerates the roads on the lot, which is a necessary step when expanding to the left or right. Without this step, the road will only exist where it was on the lot before the expansion occurred.

Please let me know if you have any further problems, or if you've decided that you would prefer to have the house expanded in a different direction.

Oh my god I am so sorry, I didn't read the instructions thoroughly (just because I never got the thing to work). I should've looked more closely.
In fact, I am also stupid because I never thought of expanding the lots on my own laptop computer! (I don't have Sims installed on it but I figured I only needed the folders in My Documents to do lot expansion and it works like a charm).

Thanks a billion for all your help. You're what I refer to as a real software expert! Great job with the tool. It's one of a kind.

Best regards,
Fred
Site Helper
Original Poster
#242 Old 14th Jul 2008 at 12:01 AM
No need to apologize. I'm glad that you can use the LotAdjuster on your laptop.
Instructor
#243 Old 17th Jul 2008 at 11:45 AM
In response to your "How to Help" section, I searched for "Lot Adjuster," knowing one existed. That one came up and lead me to this more current version, but "Lot Adjuster" itself doesn't bring up this download.

Hope that's helpful. Thanks for making this!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#244 Old 17th Jul 2008 at 4:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Plum
In response to your "How to Help" section, I searched for "Lot Adjuster," knowing one existed. That one came up and lead me to this more current version, but "Lot Adjuster" itself doesn't bring up this download.
Sounds like you've got it backwards. The LotExpander is the older version and has been replaced by the LotAdjuster.

The LotAdjuster has a lot more features and is the preferred program.
Lab Assistant
#245 Old 21st Jul 2008 at 11:59 AM
Is this the newist version up to IKEA Stuff pack? As I have all of them up to that...
Also, by making a larger lot hen the one actually provided on the game, will it propper slow down my PC? X

Life is a curious game..
Site Helper
Original Poster
#246 Old 21st Jul 2008 at 5:23 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 22nd Jul 2008 at 2:59 PM. Reason: Fix typo
Quote: Originally posted by sinniti
Is this the newist version up to IKEA Stuff pack? As I have all of them up to that...
I haven't tested the LotExpander with either of the stuff packs released since FreeTime, since I don't actually have them installed on my machine. However, it is my understanding that these later SPs do not change the lot format, so they should work without any problems.

My best advice is to backup and then try expanding a lot. Keep your backup until you are sure everything is working as expected. If you have any problems, let me know.

Also, by making a larger lot hen the one actually provided on the game, will it propper slow down my PC? X
Yes, larger lots tend to run slower than smaller lots. The LotExpander doesn't change this expected game behavior.
Lab Assistant
#247 Old 21st Jul 2008 at 7:44 PM
Thank you I will try iy now.

Also can do the lots have to be in the same shape as the ones provides on the game, like either square or rectangle? Can we hace a thinner part at the frount and wider at the back?

Also (sorry for all the questions) what is the largist lot avalivle currently on the Sims 2 games and what is your recomeded largist size we can make with the lot expander??

XX

Life is a curious game..
Site Helper
Original Poster
#248 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 3:06 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 24th Jul 2008 at 3:12 PM. Reason: add title
Default Create a very-large oddly-shaped lot
Also can do the lots have to be in the same shape as the ones provides on the game, like either square or rectangle? Can we hace a thinner part at the frount and wider at the back?
The Sims 2 (plus EPs/SPs) can only handle rectangular lots; there's no way to make oddly-shaped lots.

Also (sorry for all the questions) what is the largist lot avalivle currently on the Sims 2 games and what is your recomeded largist size we can make with the lot expander??
The largest lot that the game can handle is 6x6, but that includes space for the road(s). Assuming a road at the front of the lot, the maximum buildable space is 6 wide and 5 deep. The LotAdjuster restricts lots to a maximum of 6x6, including roads, so that they will work within the game.

The only exception to this rule (that I know of) is The Sims Castaway Stories, which has at least one roadless lot which is 10x10. Please note: the LotAdjuster does not work with Castaway Stories lots.
Mad Poster
#249 Old 23rd Jul 2008 at 6:32 PM

Surely, you may simulate that kinda irregularities with a narrow lot plus a boarder lot with the move feature provided by LotAdjuster instead.
Lab Assistant
#250 Old 24th Jul 2008 at 12:51 PM
ay?

I wanted to create a castle but its a huge project and to be honist i dont even think it would be that layable due to the size of the thin so I think Ill leve it for now. Thank you for your help.

Life is a curious game..
Page 10 of 12