Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#126 Old 21st Feb 2006 at 6:25 PM
First off, I guess it's probably good to point out that this tutorial has worked just fine for me in the past and I've even shown others how to change ugly in-game characters with the help of this tut..

A little background on what I am doing: I am working on a mass replacement of all NPCs in Veronaville so I can have all my own, custom, NPCs. Aditionally (and I don't know if this could be part of the problem, because as far as I can tell, it's the only thing I've done different) I have deleted all the Maxis-created playing characters from the neighborhood and removed them from the family bin so they wouldn't show up in the neighborhood at all once I started playing the neighborhood.

I created my custom new NPCs and placed them into families, left them in the family bins as instructed in the tut, then closed the game and opened the neighborhood in SimPE and went to Sim Surgery. Not a single one of the characters I created showed up in the list of characters. I even tried re-loading SimPE several times to no avail.

If anyone has any suggestions of what I can do to fix the problem or what I might be doing wrong, please let me know! I worked hours to get all those custom NPCs looking how I wanted them and putting them into families and I would really like to use them now. Any help appreciated!
Advertisement
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#127 Old 21st Feb 2006 at 7:15 PM
Check that the neighborhood isn't readonly.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Instructor
#128 Old 21st Feb 2006 at 8:04 PM Last edited by morten8035 : 21st Feb 2006 at 8:48 PM.
no must i come in the came and test it
but this was a older version.
i have (version 0.52.2170.26328)
but i hope it work anyway :D
thanks again

sorry for my english

edit:
it work :D
thanks
now have i alien maid

do it work for male to?
and do it work for the oter NPC's
do a nanny to a adul or teen?

edit again:
can i do the same with the grim reaper, crumplebottom, sosial bunny and the other spesial NPC?

edit another time:
can we use another outfits?

sorry for all my edit.

Unauthorized incoming post!
Test Subject
#129 Old 21st Feb 2006 at 8:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jaxad0127
Navigate to the characters folder of the neighborhood, then select ALL the files. Open their collective properties and click and click again the box for read-only. It should be completely empty. Then click ok.

I took the steps you described (above) to another user and tried to get the neighborhood to not be "read only." It seems to have worked on most of the files, but the folders are still marked as read only, including the neighborhood folder itself. I also downloaded the latest version of SimPE, since I realized I didn't have the latest version.. I looked for my created NPCs twice more, reloading SimPE in between, but still not one of them is showing up in Sim Surgury or anywhere else in SimPE. The pictures of these NPC "families" I created are showing up in the story folder, if that means anything.. Any more ideas what I might be doing wrong? Would moving them into lots or anything like that help?
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#130 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 1:26 AM
Do they show up in game? You may have to recreate them.

morten8035, no, don't even try to make over ANY special npc.

Instructor
#131 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 7:30 AM Last edited by morten8035 : 22nd Feb 2006 at 2:30 PM.
ok
do it work for the other NPC's
and can we use other outfits?
and to last: can we move delte the maid now.

edit:

morten8035, no, don't even try to make over ANY special npc.

Are sosial bunny spesial npc?

Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#132 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 3:45 PM
The special NPCs are:
  • Grim Reaper
  • Therapist
  • Hula Zombies (the ones with the Reaper)
  • Mrs CrumpleBottom
  • Polination Technicion (although his genetics can be changed)
  • Social Bunnies
Although the sociual bunnies are special npcs, each neighborhood has their own, and so they can be changed using this method. Changing any of the first four I listed could corrupt objects.package.
Quote: Originally posted by morten8035
and to last: can we move delte the maid now.
I'm not sure what your asking.

Instructor
#133 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 4:33 PM Last edited by morten8035 : 22nd Feb 2006 at 4:51 PM.
the maid is in the lot/ family catalog at neighbourhood.
so father time, new year baby and santa are not special npc's?

Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#134 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 8:03 PM
I don't have the hpp, yet, but I don't think so. But until someone confirms that, I wouldn't mess with them.

Test Subject
#135 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 8:09 PM
Thank you for your help jaxad. I finally got the problem figured out somehow.. I reloaded the game only to find that the families had disappeared from the family bin. Weirdly enough, when I exited the game and started SimPE back up, there they were! *shrug* Would be nice to know what the deal was but I guess I'm just glad things are working now.
Lab Assistant
#136 Old 27th Feb 2006 at 12:47 AM
I did a whole neighborhood with Sim Surgery, replacing the NPCs with custom clothing, but it didn't work... that it, it worked part way... when you telephone the NPC, the picture of the NPC is of the one I changed it to, but when the NPC comes over, they are wearing the original Maxis clothing!

What did I do wrong?

Thanks,
Nicole
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#137 Old 27th Feb 2006 at 5:42 AM
Please read before you post.
That is a know problem with npcs and it has been discussed greately in this thread. You can find a solution here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=89766.

Test Subject
#138 Old 3rd Mar 2006 at 8:48 PM
I am using SimPE v. 54. I was able to replace the NPC's looks easily enough, as well as the townies. The problem is that I can't figure out how to change their names, aspirations, skills, relationships, etc. I want to do this for all my sims as well. How do I do it?
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#139 Old 3rd Mar 2006 at 10:57 PM
Edit their Sim Descriptions.

Lab Assistant
#140 Old 4th Mar 2006 at 1:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by phoenixrainbow
First off, I guess it's probably good to point out that this tutorial has worked just fine for me in the past and I've even shown others how to change ugly in-game characters with the help of this tut..

A little background on what I am doing: I am working on a mass replacement of all NPCs in Veronaville so I can have all my own, custom, NPCs. Aditionally (and I don't know if this could be part of the problem, because as far as I can tell, it's the only thing I've done different) I have deleted all the Maxis-created playing characters from the neighborhood and removed them from the family bin so they wouldn't show up in the neighborhood at all once I started playing the neighborhood.

I created my custom new NPCs and placed them into families, left them in the family bins as instructed in the tut, then closed the game and opened the neighborhood in SimPE and went to Sim Surgery. Not a single one of the characters I created showed up in the list of characters. I even tried re-loading SimPE several times to no avail.

If anyone has any suggestions of what I can do to fix the problem or what I might be doing wrong, please let me know! I worked hours to get all those custom NPCs looking how I wanted them and putting them into families and I would really like to use them now. Any help appreciated!

I have the same problem...and yes I read how you got it to work, but didn't work for me. Tried with two different female maids ("families") and they did not show up whatsoever in the list of avalible sims. Even tried moving them into an empty lot and playing with them for a minute or two. They still didn't show up. My current version is 0.48.2087.35611...have they come out with a new version and I just missed it? I checked the SimPE website downloads section, but it just talks about the OFB update "Coming Soon". Any ideas?
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#141 Old 4th Mar 2006 at 6:27 PM
The current QA version of SimPE can handle OfB neighborhoods.

Field Researcher
#142 Old 5th Mar 2006 at 1:14 AM
The current QA version of SimPE can handle OfB neighborhoods.

Good to know, thanks
#143 Old 5th Mar 2006 at 8:13 AM
pieter cud u put up ur maid for download pws ???

i reali liked it contac me if u can...

thx ....
Lab Assistant
#144 Old 10th Mar 2006 at 12:58 AM
i made a maid into a pretty blond!

Seriously.
-Grey's Anatomy
Test Subject
#145 Old 16th Mar 2006 at 6:28 AM
Extremely well done. I used this tutorial to help me change the skin of an in-game teen. I was surprised it was so difficult to do, but you helped me a great deal. Thank you.
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#146 Old 16th Mar 2006 at 7:09 AM
Changing skintone or eye color is much easier than this tutorial. Sim Surgery has built-in options for it.

Test Subject
#147 Old 22nd Mar 2006 at 5:25 PM
I have a newer version of simpe, so it was kinda confusing. but i definately wouldn't have been able to do it without this tutorial, thanx
Lab Assistant
#148 Old 25th Mar 2006 at 10:01 PM
I made a custom neighborhood, changed almost all of the townies and npcs, and have had a couple of issues. Now that neighborhood is toast! My main Sim is completely ruined. I went into SimPE just to make him have a couple of more friends and I had two errors stating there is two of the same sims. A bunch came up unknown with a picture of Mister poatato head and my original sim had no info. No age, no aspiration, no relations. I was just going to delete the family and start over but it is still messed up. I did back it up but I don't want to go through changing a bunch of townies again!
I only have Sims 2 and University. AHHHHHHHHH!
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#149 Old 25th Mar 2006 at 10:52 PM
Messing with their relationships (and some other things) can cause that. Best do those in game.

Test Subject
#150 Old 26th Mar 2006 at 4:19 AM
Have you ever wondered why practically ALL the maxis made characters have been hit relly hard with the ugly stick?

To understand mankind you need to look at the word itself 'mankind'. It's made of two separate words, "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.
-Deep Thoughts By Jack Handy.
Page 6 of 9