Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Nov 2005 at 11:57 PM
Milkshape UVMapping Nightmare
Hi All--

I've been struggling with a problem I can't figure out here all day, and I thought maybe someone could help. I think I may be on the verge of getting a higher-res mesh to work properly using BodyChop and Milkshape, and adjusting weights etc manually. However, when I modify the original mesh to add faces in the areas I'm working on, mostly using the Face--Subdivide 2 feature, it is throwing the coordinates for the UV way up in the upper left corner, all stacked on top of one another. I also tried extruding the area and shrinking it a few times, but again the UV coordinates all end up piled on top of themselves.

I've tried everything I can think of, loading the model in LithUnwrap, exporting to OBJ and loading in UVMapper, I even tried loading the OBJ in XSI Mod Tool but I have no idea how to access the UV stuff in that. I've never messed with UV mapping before, so I may be missing something obvious, but I'm stuck. I need to be able to add vertices in an area on the existing model, and have it grab the UV coordinates pretty much right where they are, but the whole thing is just driving me nuts.

I've attached my MS3d file, I'm using Milkshape 1.7.6. Here's a screenshot of the 3d view too. If anyone has any ideas of what I'm doing wrong, I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  aftopnaked_hi.zip (113.3 KB, 45 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#2 Old 27th Nov 2005 at 7:04 PM
OK nevermind, I just figured out the Subdivide 2 plugin is a user-made addon, and apparently it has a bug when it comes to UV Maps. The Divide Edge function seems to work correctly, so I'll give that a go.

At least I'm beginning to understand UV mapping... it makes sense when the program doesn't screw up
Scholar
#3 Old 29th Nov 2005 at 9:50 PM
The Subdivide by 3, and Subdivide by 4 menu options also will preserve the uv mapping.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Nov 2005 at 10:23 PM
Yup, I noticed that... but Subdivide 3 didn't give me the divisions I needed, and Subdivide 4 leaves floating vertices on edges, which don't seem to render right in Bodyshop or the game... anywhere I had a vertex that was only connected on one side, would leave a tear in the mesh in-game. It was actually easier to do each Divide Edge than it was to use Subdiv 2 and fix the ones it didn't rework correctly, though... it seems to always divide the longest edge, and that wasn't what I needed in some cases.