Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 5:24 PM Last edited by roxy99 : 13th Nov 2005 at 7:07 PM.
Default My texture doesn't show new Clothing Mesh
I have been working for some time on a 'High definition' Version of my halter top mesh. http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=101696

Now I am stumped. I have been using version 3.02 of Wes' plugin for Milkshape. My new and improved obj with more polygons has been imported into an existing gmdc. I followed Dr Pixel guideline for joining the modified part to the existing part.

Now I am at the stage of reassigning all bones. Ignore the gaps in the below screen shot because I know that it is due to unassigned and poorly assigned joints. I'll get that sorted out.

My problem is that the color of the texture should be the green as the image on the left shows. And when I use the low polygon gmdc, it is properly mapped as green.

The picure on the left is the low polygon gmdc properly mapped to the texture in green. The picture on the right is the first attempt at high polygon mesh but it shows as green.

Forget the jagginess and gaps, look at the color? Whats wrong here and how can I fix it so that it is mapped properly? For some reason I have a learning block with the whole UV mapping thing. How does Milkshape do it? I thought If I based my high poligon version of the obj on an already mapped obj, that I do not have to remap.

Interestingly, the entire bmp tile is green anyway, so even if my texture map is off it should work?

If I DO have to remap, can some one walk me thru the steps from Milkshape to get back the texture map that would work.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 12:26 AM
Anyone at all any ideas?
Scholar
#3 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 12:59 AM
Your preview pictures are too tiiny to tell much - is the correct mesh being shown, but with the wrong texture?

Also, what exactly did you do to make the "high poly" mesh from the first one?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 2:31 AM
Yeah the preview pictures are pretty crappy. Let me just describe that the texture should show up as green in bodyshop. It shows up as weird brown. As a simple test, I exported a custom skin and made a 100% white alpha channel and solid bmp in green. This way no matter what uv map existed, my sim would have to be green no matter what.

Result: Still a weird brown. Now I know the problem is not in the uv map.

To make sure I was'nt being fooled by which texture was what, I removed all other confounding colors from my download folder. So it would be green or nothing. Still a weird brown with the high poly mesh--although uncomplete in vertice assignment. The low poly mesh shows up in a very nice green when I replace to the original gmdc.

I used Wes's plugins and followed your (Dr Pixel's) body chop guide. To get the high poly mesh, I created a clone of the original low poly obj (green). I added all kinds of triagles and created a new high poly obj. Then I limported with wes plugins my unmodified original gmdc, erased all vertices. From there I imported the new high poly obj. Then I recreated the bodymod.1 group and started the tedius task of assigning my vertices to both the top group and bodymod.1 group.

I am nowhere near completion in assignment my vertices to bones. Maybe that is the problem.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 9:22 PM
I am finally starting to learn the texture map feature in Milkshape. It turned out that when I imported the newly created obj into milkshape, that a faulty texture map came with it as well.

As it turned out, I assigned all my vertices to a material in Milkshape. Then I loaded the texture.bmp for the top. When I went into Texture viewer (in the window menu), all the red points were BELOW the bmp file. Hence I knew that the texture coordinated were reading the area way beneath the bmp for my top. Which explains why whenever I changed the lower half in bodyshop, the top half color was changing.

So thats one problem solved.