Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Oct 2009 at 1:29 AM Last edited by ooga booga : 5th Oct 2009 at 2:48 AM.
Default semi-classic review: Donkey Kong 64
Donkey Kong 64, the first thing i'll say about this game is that it is freakin long. this game takes full advantage of the N64 expansion pack with 5 playable character, weapons and instruments for each character, along with moves specific to each character and moves that apply to all characters. the premise is much like many platformers of the time, you begin in a hub-world and from there you unlock other worlds that containg a variety of secrets.
but this game is an over-achiever, mario 64 had 120 star, banjo kazooie had 100 jiggies, Donkey Kong 64 has 201 golden banannas, and getting them is no easier than getting a star or jiggy. each character has 5 golden banannas to collect from each world. and only the completionists will find that last bananna.
mario had coins, banjo had notes, sonic had rings. donkey kong has banannas,
mario gets a star for getting 100 coins, banjo got new moves with the notes, donkey kong gets banannas and has to save up to reach a boss, each world has 500 banannas, and for every 75 banannas a character gets they get a bananna medal, you'll need 15 medals to beat the game.
now for the gameplay, RARE is masterful at gameplay, and this is no exception everything moves fluidly in this game, including the camera. each move is easy to execute and the coconut gun/pineapple shooter/peanut popper/ etc. is easy to pull out and take down enemies with. the worlds are beutifully textured and a very larger with tons of locations for the golden banannas to be hidden.
the minigames are a little annoying at first, but once you learn them they can actually be pretty fun (with one exception, those damn beatle races). the boss fights aren't too tough, some of the later fights might take a couple tries, but you'll never be throwing your controller at the wall.
as far as replayability goes, this game has it, it has good multiplayer, you can replay all boss fights and minigames, and a second run through would be worth it. but, this game doesn't even need it's replayability, because this game has taken up more of my time than almost any other game i've played. i'll give it a solid 9/10

I no longer make sims, if you wish to contact me through this site it is highly unlikely that you will receive a reply.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Oct 2009 at 1:40 AM
I never managed to leave the hub world.

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Oct 2009 at 2:41 AM
when I was younger I never understood the vine swinging, now I feel stupid because of how easy it is.

I no longer make sims, if you wish to contact me through this site it is highly unlikely that you will receive a reply.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Oct 2009 at 3:07 AM
I failed at figuring out what it wanted me to do. I could never figure out what I needed to do. :\

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Oct 2009 at 4:04 AM
some people encounter a mental block when they enter a world in banjo kazooie or donkey kong 64, since the first step in those games is to figure out how to get around each world and as you figure out the world you find stuff your looking for. Mario 64 (and sunshine and galaxy) is a very similar game, but it gives you a very good idea of what to do for each star. I personally like the sense of exploration you get in RARE's platformers.