Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Aug 2005 at 11:45 AM
Default reflectivity of accessory problem
I just created my first accesory mesh, a foxtail for my sims. i followed this toturial to create them:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...light=accessory

the female version works fine in my game. but the male version has a strange reflectivity to it, making my tail almost look like it's been polished.

i did a search on reflectivity but i didn't find the answer. i looked at the material definition like this thread said

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...ht=reflectivity

but the MATD says

stdMatEnvCubeMode: none
stdMatEnvCubeCoef:0,0,0

can anyone help me to fix this?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 28th Aug 2005 at 12:41 PM
I like it, makes it look glossyish
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 10th Oct 2005 at 7:13 PM
I am working on trying to fix the reflectivity on your mesh myself. If I have any luck, I'll let you know.

My Sims2 Site - genensims.com
My Art Site - sidneyeileen.com
We Reserve the Right to... oh nevermind.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 10th Oct 2005 at 8:29 PM
No luck on my end.

I have just started learning how to modify packages, so I may easily have missed something. I openned the package in SimPE and compared the material definitions for the ages that were working to the ages that were not. The only difference I could find was in "stdMatDiffCoef" on the "frames" type. For the working ages and genders (af, ef, and tf) it was "0.8,0.8,0.8,1" and for the non-working ages and genders (all others) it was "0.8,0.8,0.8". I changed them all to match the working ages and as far as I could tell nothing was altered about the appearance of the accessory.

I also tried changing the "stdMatEnvCubeCoef" to "-1,-1,-1" on all the material definitions, but as far as I can tell this also did nothing.

There were a couple unrelated changes I made while I was in the package.
I changed the "stdMatDiffCoef" to "1,1,1" for all ages and genders so that the color of the texture file is not dimmed. I also changed out the texture file to a larger image size (512x512) so I could get better detail on the final item.

I am attaching my package with the changes in case it is helpful to anyone else.

Test Subject
#5 Old 11th Oct 2005 at 11:26 AM
Just a thought... on the materials def plugin view in simpe, check the other tabs, one should have an entry saying 'simstandardmaterial' or 'simskin' etc. one works for clothing etc with trans, matt finish, the other works for reflective stuff like rubber catsuits, check which you have.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 12th Oct 2005 at 6:30 PM
Thanks for the tip. It worked on the glossyness problem. The working textures said 'simstandardmaterial' and the others said 'standardmaterial'. :D

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Oct 2005 at 5:58 PM
Thanks so much for posting this. I tried this yesterday and I was able to fix the glossyness problem. The material def also said simstandardmaterial and standard material. I'm so happy i could finally get rid of the glossyness. I would never have found this on my own. thanks again. :D
Test Subject
#8 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 12:26 PM
Hi!
I guess that this isn't the right place to ask about this but anyway.
I have extracted the cattail skin into the downloads folder but I can't find it in the game??
Have I done something wrong??
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 5:27 PM
you have to extract to files, one is the mesh (the file starts with mesh_ ) and one other package. just put them in your downloadfolder. in the game you should be able to find the tail under glasses.