Replies: 15 (Who?), Viewed: 1428 times.
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st May 2014 at 9:57 PM Last edited by Mrmo : 15th Jul 2014 at 10:36 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Urgent problem! Broken disc. (Solved)
Hi.

I will try not to panic here but I find it very hard not to. When I was done playing today I took the disc out of the trey and for some reason or an other I took a look on the down side of the disc (yes, it's not the correct term but I don't know a better expresson on short hand). And there I found 2 cracks right on the center of the disc (!) . A disaster! I must use this disc (Freetime) to get the game running but now I'm affraid to use this disc as I fear that the cracks will get longer, demaging the vital parts of the disc as well. Now I know that the disc itself is not needed by the game, it just there to prove that it's a legal copy but I will need the disc later on when I'm going to install everything on a new computer. On that computer I will install other EP's (Apartment life) but is that a later EP so I don't have to use the Freetime disc? Can I go on using this broken disk or is that a bad idea? I do not know when the cracks accured as I never turn the disc to look at it but today I noticed .

Please help. There is nothing I enjoy more then plaing The sims so I need an answer on this issue. Sorry for the desperate tone in the post and my bad english (It's not my first language).

Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 31st May 2014 at 11:31 PM
I don't know how it will hold up but I would buy another copy of ebay or Amazon. I'm planning on buying a second hand bundle just in case anything happens to one of my disks.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#3 Old 31st May 2014 at 11:53 PM
This happened to one of my discs. I now don't put the discs back in the cases that they came with but a case that does not need them to be 'clipped' in. I would do as Jo suggests and buy another disc via amazon or ebay or similar site as soon as you can.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Jun 2014 at 12:18 AM
OK, then I don't use it any more. I will bay a new one. I assume that I have to uninstall the old version before installing a new one so I think I have to wait to play before my new computer is here ( it will take a month or so because I'm going on a holiday trip and wait whit the build until I'm back).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 1st Jun 2014 at 12:33 AM
No, don't uninstall anything. There is nothing wrong with your installation files.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Jun 2014 at 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
No, don't uninstall anything. There is nothing wrong with your installation files.

Um, what do you mean? Should I install Free Time on top of the old version? I can not run "my" game whit an other disc.
Test Subject
#7 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 8:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmo
Um, what do you mean? Should I install Free Time on top of the old version? I can not run "my" game whit an other disc.
Mrmo, I would say that you can run "your" game with another disc because your sims and your lots etc. are stored on your computer; they are not on the disc.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Jun 2014 at 7:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBacon
Mrmo, I would say that you can run "your" game with another disc because your sims and your lots etc. are stored on your computer; they are not on the disc.

I do think you did missunderstand me there. Yes, I know that all of the stuff is on my computer. The game, however, do need the disc in the start up procedure. The softwear check if the copy of the game installed is "legal" (sorry, found no other word in the hurry) and the let the game start. That I ment was that I can not take an other Free Time disc and use that to start the game. I'm not sure so please tell me if I'm wrong.
Site Helper
#9 Old 3rd Jun 2014 at 7:43 PM
If you have a valid disk, then I can't imagine why it wouldn't work,. No need to reinstall.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 5:56 PM
I'm making a little update here.

I did contact the EA support and they were very understanding when it came to my problem. However, the could not give me a new disc and I was was not surprised over the fact because it's an old game. They suggested a download but apparently there are not downloads available for all of the EP's and I do not want a download in the first place so that's fine whit me. The answer to the question: "will my game start whit an other disc" did however not make me smarter than before. I did try to translated it from my language and quoting it here:

"I can inform you that the code are not connected to the disc so that a specific code is not connected to a specific disc.

All codes works whit all discs but there is a limit in how many times the code can be used so that not all can share the same code. But if you bay a new disc I can guarantee you that your old code is gonna work. It you don't get a new code in the new package which you should".

Ehh, OK??! Read the last line again. A new disc would work IF I don't get a new code and a new code HAVE to be included in a new package. I may be stupid but to me this seems impossible. If I bay a new Free Time disc I will get a code and then the new disc won't work whit my old install because I did get a new code. So, what now? Please help.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#11 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 6:13 PM
I will be surprised if you can find a new disc as the game is not being made any more. So, if you will need to buy a secondhand disc. Most discs will come with a code but some may not because the previous owner has lost the booklet with the code on it. So, you'll probably be able to use a new disc (to you) with your original code.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Test Subject
#12 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 9:19 PM
Even if you get a new code, you don't have to use it. The new (to you) disc will work with your current game. I had this exact thing happen to me, with Free Time even, and I just bought a new copy off of Amazon and used that disc and it worked just fine because all the files are on the computer, not the disc, and the code that you get is only used at installation to prove the copy is legal. Which you proved, years ago, so you are fine.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 5:00 PM
I bought all my games used from amazon, half had the code with them, the other half didn't. I obtained the codes by googling "code for sims 2 FreeTime" (or whichever one I needed). I got a list of every code used for that game, just had to keep trying until one worked.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 5:27 PM
How about using sellotape or scotch tape (what ever it's called in your language), or how about a tiny drop of superglue? Be careful you don't apply some on the data region of the disk. Don't know...

*reply to a thread* *press the answer button* *forgot something and edit the post*... my three steps of using a forum. -.-
My livejournal if anyone should be interested in it, but be warned: It's empty yet!
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 7:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen lorraine
I will be surprised if you can find a new disc as the game is not being made any more. So, if you will need to buy a secondhand disc. Most discs will come with a code but some may not because the previous owner has lost the booklet with the code on it. So, you'll probably be able to use a new disc (to you) with your original code.

Brand new games are on Amazon. They're expensive, but they're there. And they're usually European versions, but that doesn't matter. That's how I got all of mine.
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 10:47 PM
It took quite some time but I was happy to find a copy of the game on a national bay/sell/trade site. I did, however, not have the time to test it until now. But it did work in the way I hoped it would do. I just placed the DVD in the tray and started the game in the same way that I always do. No problem at all. So this is solved.