Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

BodyShop Mechanic [Updated March 14 2009]

by Dr Pixel Posted 9th May 2007 at 12:21 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 9:11 PM by Nysha

131 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 121 Feedback Posts, 9 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 6
Instructor
#51 Old 26th Apr 2008 at 9:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SparkleSim
It's freakin' awesome! However, I did put the files in a folder (I called the folder 'Bodyshop Mechanic') and then put that folder in: MyDocuments/EA games/Sims 2/Config like you said but the poses and lightings are still greyed out. Are you supposed to put both the notepad and the "pocketknife thing" in that folder? Or are you supposed to put something somewhere else? Do you separate the two?

It does not matter where you put the folder with the Mechanic in it. I have mine on a different drive. BUT you should put the lighting and pose files in MyDocuments/EA games/Sims 2/Config.

I have just discovered the Mechanic and I LOVE it.
I have all EPs including FreeTime and the only thing it does not do is that it does not start Bodyshop. I select all settings, poses, background etc. with the Mechanic, click 'Launch' and then just launch the Bodyshp manually.

Thank you, Dr Pixel.
Test Subject
#52 Old 1st May 2008 at 8:00 AM
it's really amazing thing, but can you do it for free time?
Test Subject
#53 Old 29th May 2008 at 5:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by prettyteddybear
it's really amazing thing, but can you do it for free time?

I agree. I used to use this program and LOVE IT and I am super sad that it doesn't work with Free Time. It made making screen shots for character pics wonderful.
Test Subject
#54 Old 18th Jul 2008 at 12:03 AM
I don't know why, but every time I try to choose a new background, the program crashes. It worked before Free Time, so I guess it's just not compatible, anymore. Kinda sad...
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 1:27 AM
Default help
when i try to start the bodyshop i get a message

The Sims 2 Body Shop has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

TASH

http://passionssims2com.page.tl/

my own website. check it out
Unsocialized Homeschooler
#56 Old 19th Aug 2008 at 3:54 AM
Hey guys, everything but the "Run Bodyshop" button works with FT
Select your poses, lighting, background, or what ever, and then manualy open up bodyshop. (Desktop icon or Start - All Programs - EA Games - The Sims 2 Free Time - The Sims 2 Bodyshop) just keep BSM open while loading it, and you will be able to have all of your poses and such.

Hope I could help anyone!
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 8th Sep 2008 at 9:32 AM
I Love, love, LOVE Bodyshop Mechanic and see it as an essential mod. Is there any chance at all that it can be configured to work with Apartment Life please?
Thanks for sharing, Dr. Pixel!!

In memory of my sister who died suddenly on 25th April,2005. Mum and I love you, hun, and we miss you so much. xx
Test Subject
#58 Old 1st Oct 2008 at 1:50 AM
Hey Doc, I'm havin a bit of trouble here. I have the Double Deluxe version of Sims 2, and I can't find the correct folder for the files.

Any ideas?
Instructor
#59 Old 14th Oct 2008 at 12:53 PM
I have all the expansion packs & stuff packs and this is not working for me. I even tried the suggestion of setting it all, pressing the run BodyShop button and manually starting BodyShop but it changes nothing. I would really like to work with BodyShop at full screen. I am not so bothered by the poses and things. Can anyone help?
Zen

Should add...I have all packs up to Apartment Life!

www.crystalgecko.co.uk

Never wake a sleeping Dragon...for you are small and crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Test Subject
#60 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 5:52 AM
I have Everything up to Apartment life and I just downloaded this it is Great THANK YOU !!! All I did to get it to work was set my settings to what I wanted, Keeping BSM open, then manually opened BodyShop in my ApartmentLife Folder in Start menu...
Instructor
#61 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 2:23 PM
yep...I tried that too (after reading your message). The first time I tried it Body Shop wouldn't open with the Mechanic running. Then I tried it via the actual program in the EA/AL folder and it did run but not using any of the settings I wanted...
Any ideas, I would love to use this program full screen.
Zen

www.crystalgecko.co.uk

Never wake a sleeping Dragon...for you are small and crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Instructor
#62 Old 30th Nov 2008 at 10:08 PM
Should work more seamlessly...
It's been almost a year since the last update;when will this be updated?

22 I will give him the key to the house of David. When he opens doors, no one will be able to close them; when he closes doors, no one will be able to open them.
Scholar
Original Poster
#63 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 12:40 AM
The problem is that with each new expansion or stuff-pack, Maxis moves BodyShop into a new folder - and they don't put the actual folder name of the new expansion into the registry so the program can't look it up...

I myself do not have any of the more recent expansions or stuff-packs.

However I am working on an updated version which (hopefully) let you manually update the program whenever you install a new expansion pack by selecting the proper folder.

This should be available in the next week or two.
Field Researcher
#64 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 10:10 PM
Thanks, Dr. Pixel! I had no idea how much I'd bene relying upon the mechanic until I installed Apartment Life, and lost the ability to see Bodyshop full screen (poses, background, etc. still worked, which is great)! Really appreciate your hard work!
Test Subject
#65 Old 16th Dec 2008 at 1:47 AM Last edited by pipatrada : 16th Dec 2008 at 2:34 AM.
ZenFrog76 i have the same problem like you, after i finished setting i press run button and my Bodyshop work great only poses, background, light but full screen doesn't work i want to cry. I used Thai language.

I really would to use full screen. I don't know what i have done something wrong.. i tried to delete the program and install again but still doesn't work, it's work great for my friends but not me maybe i have no luck. But anyway thanks so much for the useful program.
Test Subject
#66 Old 16th Dec 2008 at 1:52 AM
Thanks, Dr. Pixel, this is great!
But I'm afraid I'm having a little problem... I've used this several times and it worked perfectly, but then I used a pose created by me with the method you described (I don't know if that was the problem, anyway) and now everytime I try to use another pose, the same one shows up over and over (one where the sim is walking). I've tried moving all of the anim files to another folder, but even when I'm given no choice but to start with the original pose, the sim is still in that walking pose. Any ideas? What files does BS Mechanic modify? because I also tried deleting the program and the ini file but no change.
Thanks a lot, I hope it is easy to solve because it's very very useful... and sorry for my non-native English :-)
Test Subject
#67 Old 16th Dec 2008 at 3:43 AM
Yay! An update! Thank you so much! =3
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 17th Dec 2008 at 6:45 PM
Great!
Now I can finally see the clothes and other stuff in Body Shop, great work!
Scholar
Original Poster
#69 Old 17th Dec 2008 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ginger_Ale
Thanks, Dr. Pixel, this is great!
But I'm afraid I'm having a little problem... I've used this several times and it worked perfectly, but then I used a pose created by me with the method you described (I don't know if that was the problem, anyway) and now everytime I try to use another pose, the same one shows up over and over (one where the sim is walking). I've tried moving all of the anim files to another folder, but even when I'm given no choice but to start with the original pose, the sim is still in that walking pose. Any ideas? What files does BS Mechanic modify? because I also tried deleting the program and the ini file but no change.
Thanks a lot, I hope it is easy to solve because it's very very useful... and sorry for my non-native English :-)

The Bodyshop Mechanic really does not alter any files at all. It just renames the pose and lighting files that you have put into the ...Config\ folder by changing the extension from ".package" to ".off" on the files you have not selected, and making sure the ones that you did select have the extension ".package"

The Bodyshop Mechanic does not check any other folders besides the "...config\" folder.

However the game will use the pose and lighting files if they are in any of the various folders the game reads, such as "...downloads\", "...Saved Sims\", etc.

If you have accidentally put your pose file into another one of these folders it will still be used by BodyShop so you must remove it by going into the folder and deleting it.

BodyShop Mechanic will also not recognize the pose file if it was not named correctly, but the game will still use it no matter what the name is, so check for that too.
Test Subject
#70 Old 18th Dec 2008 at 7:36 PM
Thank you very very much, I'll check the other folders :-)
I love your program
Test Subject
#71 Old 29th Dec 2008 at 5:21 AM
Today is my luck! just now i try to press run "Bodyshop" button it's work now!
i'm very happy.
Test Subject
#72 Old 1st Jan 2009 at 11:46 PM
Dr Pixel,
I have enjoyed all your downloads! I loved the previous mechanic!

Allthough,
With this one I get a message that the .exe doesn't exist...
The Sims 2 Body Shop has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

It was working when I used the older one past week but I opened the old one today before the updated version and it didnt load...
If I delete the BS Mechanic and try to load from Start/Programs/M&G/ Bodyshop it still won't work...
Even if I use the Quicklaunch button it won't work

I Updated to this new one 12/31/08 and it still don't work...

I have everything to M&G anything you could tell me would be awesome!

Thanks! You Rock!
Happy New Year!
HarleyBarbie
Scholar
Original Poster
#73 Old 2nd Jan 2009 at 9:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Harleybarbie
Dr Pixel,
I have enjoyed all your downloads! I loved the previous mechanic!

Allthough,
With this one I get a message that the .exe doesn't exist...

It was working when I used the older one past week but I opened the old one today before the updated version and it didnt load...
If I delete the BS Mechanic and try to load from Start/Programs/M&G/ Bodyshop it still won't work...
Even if I use the Quicklaunch button it won't work

I Updated to this new one 12/31/08 and it still don't work...

I have everything to M&G anything you could tell me would be awesome!

Thanks! You Rock!
Happy New Year!
HarleyBarbie

First, Bodyshop Mechanic doesn't really do anything to Bodyshop at all. Everything Bodyshop Mechanic does, (lights, background, poses, etc.) you could do yourself by copying and removing various files in and out of your Config\ folder, so it is perfectly safe to re-install it.

Anyway, on to the no-start problem. The message that Bodyshop had a problem and must quit means that you are trying to run the wrong version of Bodyshop. Every Expansion and every Stuff pack contains it's own version of Bodyshop and you must run the correct one or it won't work.

If you installed your Sims2 game and expansions to the default location look in this folder:

My Computer\C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\ you should see several folders. There will be one for the base game, plus one for every expansion pack and every stuff pack you have installed.

Now look inside the one that is named the same as the Disc that you must have in the drive in order to play the game.

Inside that folder will be several more folders. Look inside the one named CSBin\ You should find TS2Bodyshop.exe

Except in the case that you have purchased one or more expansions or stuff-packs that you installed by downloading them direct from EA, in other words you don't have a disc for them. In that case you should still look in the folder for the latest pack you are using, even if you have no disc and you should still find TS2Bodyshop.exe in the folder. This is the one you want to run. If it is not there, then maybe something went wrong during the installation.

Try running it right from there, by clicking on it. If it works, you have found the correct one.

If it still complains and quits, the easiest thing to do is this -

Start Bodyshop Mechanic and when it asks you to select an expansion, try a different one. It will show your selection on the title of it's window. It can't harm anything, at the very worst it will give that error message or else simply nothing will happen at all when you click the [Run Bodyshop] button. Either way, don't panic. Just click the small button at the top-left corner to get the expansion selection window again, and try the next most recent expansion or stuff pack. When you find the one that works, leave it set that way.

Please let me know what happens.
Test Subject
#74 Old 4th Jan 2009 at 3:49 AM
BodyShop Mechanic
Thanks so much for your quick reply!

It seems to be running ok since I cleaned the cache files.

I had been doing some recolors and have lots of CC

Everything works very well now!

Thanks for all your hard work!
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 12:09 PM
Thanks for the update on this handy piece of work!
Page 3 of 6