Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Mar 2020 at 11:32 PM Last edited by Bxring : 28th Mar 2020 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Solved

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Late Night
Moving sims out of town but keeping family tree?
Sorry if the title sounds a bit complicated, but :

I have a sim that has a massive family tree, and I love the family tree so much. I'm getting bored of the town as everyone before my sim has been living there, and I want to move my sim family out to a new one, ( Bridgeport ). I was wondering whether moving out sims from town-to-town removes their family tree aswell? ( As in : when I go to view the family tree, it's gone ). I don't want to risk it and I need answers quick! :D

Nevermind! (SOLVED).
I was linked this mod : https://www.nraas.net/community/Porter
which supposedly makes it easier for your sims to move towns, but keeping jobs, relations, and ( more importantly ) the family tree.
I'm not sure if this works so i'm going to save my game and test this out, so if it doesn't work, I can always exit without saving.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Mar 2020 at 4:36 AM
NRaas Porter is only designed to maintain relationships among the sims (living and dead) that are being ported. The town and any sims left behind will no longer be in play or be part of the ongoing timeline. If you were to load the original save/world back up again after doing the Porter pack, nothing will have changed there so there isn't any point in quitting without saving. The copies of the packed up sims will still be in the game folder as a Library file regardless, though then that would just be a matter of deleting the file. The point of Porter is to invoke operation "Get my sims collectively out of this awful (boring, broken, etc.) place NOW and the heck with everyone else."

The mod that can maintain long distance relationships with any sims "back home" and keep the original town in the game as a place to visit and draw sims from is NRaas Traveler.
http://www.nraas.net/Traveler-FAQ#I...lds-permanently

And pardon me if this sounds unfriendly, it isn't meant to, but it always surprises me to see NRaas mods described as maybe not working or only supposedly doing something or being effective. If one of our mods is not behaving as expected, I would hope that players would bring that to our attention at NRaas so we can help with whatever the issue is. It's kind of what we are there for.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Mar 2020 at 4:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
NRaas Porter is only designed to maintain relationships among the sims (living and dead) that are being ported. The town and any sims left behind will no longer be in play or be part of the ongoing timeline. If you were to load the original save/world back up again after doing the Porter pack, nothing will have changed there so there isn't any point in quitting without saving. The copies of the packed up sims will still be in the game folder as a Library file regardless, though then that would just be a matter of deleting the file. The point of Porter is to invoke operation "Get my sims collectively out of this awful (boring, broken, etc.) place NOW and the heck with everyone else."

The mod that can maintain long distance relationships with any sims "back home" and keep the original town in the game as a place to visit and draw sims from is NRaas Traveler.
http://www.nraas.net/Traveler-FAQ#I...lds-permanently

And pardon me if this sounds unfriendly, it isn't meant to, but it always surprises me to see NRaas mods described as maybe not working or only supposedly doing something or being effective. If one of our mods is not behaving as expected, I would hope that players would bring that to our attention at NRaas so we can help with whatever the issue is. It's kind of what we are there for.

Hey yeah, I added my mod into the folder, but when I go to my launcher, my sims 3 expansion and stuff packs are missing. But when I remove the mod, they're back. What's up with that? ( That goes with every mod that I download, is my game too full for anymore mods? ). Also, which one would be better for keeping my family tree? I know Porter is said to keep relations and all that fun stuff, but traveler seems to replace the code entirely, does traveler still keep my tree? Or just friends and careers.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 29th Mar 2020 at 6:31 PM
The two mods do entirely different things.

Let's say you have one household in World A and you wish to move them to World B but maintain all of their history and family tree connections with everyone left behind. Then the mod to use is Traveler, by vacationing them to World B and while there invoking the Change Hometown procedure specifically as outlined, every step is important, in the FAQ I linked to. Traveler does replace the travel transition code, and working together with Overwatch and ErrorTrap for most users makes it all more reliable. This isn't something one should generally be afraid of.

Let's say you have 10 or 20 households that are inter-connected by way of family and friendly/romantic relations all in World A. You wish to transplant all 10 or 20 of these households into World B and don't care at all about World A or any of the sims left behind, it can very well be as if they no longer ever existed nor do you care that they will not appear on anyone's family trees or relationship panels. You never wish to see World A and its remaining inhabitants, in the ongoing timeline. Then the mod to use is Porter.

But you can't use either method if your mod structure is broken. Which folder are you adding these mods into? Mods have nothing to do with the Launcher or the TS3 user game folder's Downloads subfolder, nor the loading of Expansion Packs, they are package based content. Can/Do you have any package based content installed that is working correctly?
http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Setup_and_Files
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Mar 2020 at 1:25 AM
The two mods do entirely different things.

Let's say you have one household in World A and you wish to move them to World B but maintain all of their history and family tree connections with everyone left behind. Then the mod to use is Traveler, by vacationing them to World B and while there invoking the Change Hometown procedure specifically as outlined, every step is important, in the FAQ I linked to. Traveler does replace the travel transition code, and working together with Overwatch and ErrorTrap for most users makes it all more reliable. This isn't something one should generally be afraid of.

Let's say you have 10 or 20 households that are inter-connected by way of family and friendly/romantic relations all in World A. You wish to transplant all 10 or 20 of these households into World B and don't care at all about World A or any of the sims left behind, it can very well be as if they no longer ever existed nor do you care that they will not appear on anyone's family trees or relationship panels. You never wish to see World A and its remaining inhabitants, in the ongoing timeline. Then the mod to use is Porter.

But you can't use either method if your mod structure is broken. Which folder are you adding these mods into? Mods have nothing to do with the Launcher or the TS3 user game folder's Downloads subfolder, nor the loading of Expansion Packs, they are package based content. Can/Do you have any package based content installed that is working correctly?
http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Setup_and_Files

Thank you! That clarification helped out a lot. I used Traveler to move out my family and it was perfect! It kept all relations, and I was able to contact sims who were not in my town. The vacation feature is very helpful aswell!

Now onto my issue. Yes, all my mods and expansions have been working great. However, before this all happened, I boosted my sim 3 game graphics up onto max ( but have since changed everything to medium ). That was when I noticed my stuff packs and expansions were missing, but I have managed to retrieve them safely back now. I'm adding my mods into my; ElectronicArts>TS3>Mods>Packages folder, which is where all my mods go, is this a problem?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 30th Mar 2020 at 2:17 AM
Sounds like the correct location for the Mods and Mods\Packages folders to me. I take it your are on Patch 1.69, which requires Origin to manage and start the game and whose Launcher provides the Pack Chooser interface. That setup has always been an unstable mess when it comes to Expansion and Stuff Packs going missing but you don't really have any choice in the matter unless you want to repurchase the entire game and its packs on Steam or retail store discs and reinstall to get back to Patch 1.67. I can't say why adding a mod would trigger the instability on startup, but perhaps clear (delete) the five cache files on the top level of the TS3 user game folder if you don't already do this routinely and maybe try an Origin Repair Game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Mar 2020 at 12:57 PM
Sounds like the correct location for the Mods and Mods\Packages folders to me. I take it your are on Patch 1.69, which requires Origin to manage and start the game and whose Launcher provides the Pack Chooser interface. That setup has always been an unstable mess when it comes to Expansion and Stuff Packs going missing but you don't really have any choice in the matter unless you want to repurchase the entire game and its packs on Steam or retail store discs and reinstall to get back to Patch 1.67. I can't say why adding a mod would trigger the instability on startup, but perhaps clear (delete) the five cache files on the top level of the TS3 user game folder if you don't already do this routinely and maybe try an Origin Repair Game.

Yep. Patch 1.69. It's weird huh, I had it happen to me a couple days ago after installing a skin cc, and I looked it up and I only found one other person that faced the same problem, but for a different reason. They solved it by re-buying it on steam, and deleting their origin version, which I am not willing to do. I hope it doesn't do that again, assuming that i've fixed it. I'll just stop adding mods into my folder now, and be a lot more cautious when it comes to downloading cc. Thanks for the help though! Traveler really helped .
Undead Molten Llama
#9 Old 30th Mar 2020 at 6:14 PM
I have 1.69, too, and sometimes the launcher just seems to "forget" all of your installed expansions. I've gotten into the habit of checking to see that everything's...well, checked...before I let the game load. If the EPs/SPs have been forgotten, then exiting completely out of Origin and then starting the game without Origin already running first seems to fix it. The "forgetting" seems to happen either after an Origin update (or when I need to let such an update happen) or after I've made any major changes to my user folder. I've no idea why the latter would have anything to do with the Launcher, but it's a trend I've noticed. The Origin updated/needs an update thing is far more common, though.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Mar 2020 at 6:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I have 1.69, too, and sometimes the launcher just seems to "forget" all of your installed expansions. I've gotten into the habit of checking to see that everything's...well, checked...before I let the game load. If the EPs/SPs have been forgotten, then exiting completely out of Origin and then starting the game without Origin already running first seems to fix it. The "forgetting" seems to happen either after an Origin update (or when I need to let such an update happen) or after I've made any major changes to my user folder. I've no idea why the latter would have anything to do with the Launcher, but it's a trend I've noticed. The Origin updated/needs an update thing is far more common, though.

Agreed, it's quite strange. The Origin update/needing an update are fine, and don't damage my game at all. It's just mods and cc. I'm not sure if it's because I have too much of it, or if one of my mods are doing some major code changes/inserting virus', but if any of that is going on, I wouldn't be able to retrieve my EPs/SPs back so, that's out of the window, but the window is still open. Weird.
Undead Molten Llama
#11 Old 30th Mar 2020 at 7:01 PM
Like igazor said, I don't think having mods can/should affect your Launcher. Unless maybe you've got something corrupted in there that has a bad reaction when you put in something else. Maybe. It still doesn't seem plausible to me, but I'm not an expert at the inner workings of TS3. All I know is that I have quite a number of mods -- 200 of 'em in my "Misc Hacks" subfolder, plus 50 files in the NRAAS folder, and I think there's a few in Overrides -- and I've never experienced what you're talking about.

You could try removing all your mods (I'm assuming you're just talking about "mods" in terms of "things that change gameplay," not just things like objects or hair or clothing) and then adding them back incrementally, a handful at a time. Maybe you'll find one that's causing the issue, if it's indeed a mod that's doing it.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
#12 Old 23rd Nov 2020 at 8:35 AM
Default Which one would i use
heyy im currently playing a game and one of my sims are about to die in sunset valley when she does i want to move my family to another town theres only 4 atm including the one about to pass away how would i move them but keep her in the family tree when she dies would i use the porter mod or the traveler mod ?
thank you for any help i recieve
Mad Poster
#13 Old 23rd Nov 2020 at 12:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thatsimmerguy
heyy im currently playing a game and one of my sims are about to die in sunset valley when she does i want to move my family to another town theres only 4 atm including the one about to pass away how would i move them but keep her in the family tree when she dies would i use the porter mod or the traveler mod ?
thank you for any help i recieve

Either one, but if you choose Porter you will need to be sure to bring the then deceased sim's remains with you within the pack that will be unloaded onto a new world.

But there really isn't much point in using Porter if you are only moving one household. If you expect Sunset Valley and its other sims to stay in the game, either to travel back to or just in a long distance and historical kind of way and ever be reachable going forward, then the better choice would be Traveler.