Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Nov 2020 at 10:22 AM
Default Fishing 'Pool' made with buydebug fishing signs. Help
I am wondering if I am doing something wrong, or if something is conflicting.

I create a Pool.

I place one (or more) fishing signs around the pool.

Now if I go to live, If I click the 'water' of the pool, I only get pool options. (I.E swim back float, etc)....

Now if I click the 'fishing' sign, I get the expected dialogs for Examine Water, fish, Fish with Bait....

The catch is from all the guides to making a Fishing Pool, they mention (and show) hiding the signs (under a Rock etc... So should I be able to click the 'water' and fish... or do you have to click the fishing sign to actually fish in a fishing 'pool'

Thanks in advance for any advise on making clicking the water work....
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 8th Nov 2020 at 3:26 PM
The sign is what the interaction to fish is attached to.. it doesn't convert the water it's attached to to be any different than what they were before you placed the sign,
and pools have the swimming interactions attached to them.. so what you're describing is how it works
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 8th Nov 2020 at 5:35 PM
what would be more realistic is if the sim would see the sign and start fishing but just not catch anything (no fish in swimming pools)

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Nov 2020 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Keren
The sign is what the interaction to fish is attached to.. it doesn't convert the water it's attached to to be any different than what they were before you placed the sign,
and pools have the swimming interactions attached to them.. so what you're describing is how it works

OK thanks, was just wondering, since folk in the how-to's mentioned hiding the sign (but could still fish).... and if you put a sign near/at a fountain... you can then just click on the water and get the fishing options.... so was expecting the pool to be the same. (though as you said, guess the pool already having swimming related things attached, keeps the fishing from attaching unlike fountain.
Scholar
#5 Old 9th Nov 2020 at 3:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by laughingowl
OK thanks, was just wondering, since folk in the how-to's mentioned hiding the sign (but could still fish).... and if you put a sign near/at a fountain... you can then just click on the water and get the fishing options.... so was expecting the pool to be the same. (though as you said, guess the pool already having swimming related things attached, keeps the fishing from attaching unlike fountain.

It doesn't work like that. the interaction is bound to an object, in this case - fishing sign. if you place it near anything else it doesn't "jump" to that thing.. it stays on the fishing sign.
what they probably meant is that you place it in the fountain in a way that you can still get to it to click it for the interaction to show,
or they only wanted the fishing animation to show, even thought it would be without the interaction to actually fish.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Nov 2020 at 6:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Keren
It doesn't work like that. the interaction is bound to an object, in this case - fishing sign. if you place it near anything else it doesn't "jump" to that thing.. it stays on the fishing sign.
what they probably meant is that you place it in the fountain in a way that you can still get to it to click it for the interaction to show,
or they only wanted the fishing animation to show, even thought it would be without the interaction to actually fish.

Well I suggest you try it... IT DOES work that for fountains!

While the screenshot didnt capture the mouse itself as can be seen from the attached screenshot on a fountain, if you have placed a sign near it... clicking on the 'water' will give you the 'fishing' options...

So be careful making statements of fact, when it can be shown to be proven wrong.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Nov 2020 at 7:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by laughingowl
Well I suggest you try it... IT DOES work that for fountains!

While the screenshot didnt capture the mouse itself as can be seen from the attached screenshot on a fountain, if you have placed a sign near it... clicking on the 'water' will give you the 'fishing' options...

So be careful making statements of fact, when it can be shown to be proven wrong.

Ahh further testing I think I have found the difference.

It is not the 'water' I am clicking on, but the spawned 'fish'. Though it appears that the 'water' of the pool having option attached already, keep the 'fish' from being clicked (maybe if could time it right and click on one when it is 'above' the water)

This seems to be the case from:
1) There is definitely a few second delay from placing the signs and being able to click 'water' and fish., while far from conclusive in 4 different fountains... spam clicking the water, it was the click immediately after noticing the first 'fish' that I got a response.
2) more then 4-5 squares from where fish appear, and even if same fountain no longer get fish options. Though place a new signs (near that part) and as soon as fish appears.

I can state for a fact (at least in my game, with my mods):
Placing a fishing sign near a fountain and you can click the 'water' and fish after a few seconds.
Place a fishing sign near a pool, and you only get swim related options

the WHY the difference I can not state to, though as nobody has spoke up and mentioned they can (and believe anyone should) be able to click the POOL water and also get fish options, I will go with what I am experiencing (fountains work, pools don't) is the same for everyone.

Perhaps one day somebody who digs into the details of the scripts and how they work can answer definitively, but for know confident enough its not just me doing something wrong, I will live with have easy click for fishing (but no swimming) or a swimmable pond... with having to click a sign to actually fish..

I apologize if the tone of my response seem inflammatory, but one of my major pet pevee's is things being stated as Fact, without and backing (especially the 'fact' contradicts other verifiable evidence). While your later response was much better and terms like "what they probably meant" makes it clear you are trying to be helpful, but stating opinion/belief not something known as fact. Too much of my professional life, deals with respectively having to debunk/counter false facts. that I learned from X (with no backing information), that such blankets claims immediately get my fur ruffled.

I thank you for trying to help and sharing what you know. I would ask that first be somewhat tolerant if my professional life bleeds over into my fun time, and I respond a bit harsher then I should (when I can without threatening my paycheck) and a piece of advise, and be cautions of stating something as fact, especially when evidence has already been provided showing otherwise (I.E. my ". and if you put a sign near/at a fountain... you can then just click on the water and get the fishing options."

Peace and thanks for your understanding
Laughingowl
Scholar
#8 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 6:00 AM
The fish are part of the sign object, not the fountain. so you basically clicked on the sign, not the fountain.. but I'm not here to argue, just trying to help
Smeg Head
#9 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 9:22 AM Last edited by coolspear1 : 11th Nov 2020 at 9:35 AM.
Sims with the Insane trait (What it used to be called, I can't recall what it's now named. Though it is still referred to as Insane in the XML coding.) can fish in water fountains, though I don't think they actually catch anything - just as Inge suggested.

Does the sim who is able to see fishing options on fountains have the Not-Insane-But-Still-Insane trait?

Plus a good way to hide the fishing sign under a rock is to use moo cheats to shrink sign and position it so just the very slightest, almost unrecognizable part of the fishing sign is barely visible. Clicking on that tiny part will still allow fishing in swimming pools. The trick works even better if the object used to hide it is also made of wood texture. I did this very trick using the wooden fish sculpture from Island Living to hide the fishing sign but for thre tiniest exposed part so I could still click on it.

Of course the best trick of all would be to use Sims4Studio to clone a rock object, and attach clone to the Fishing Sign object XML. Bob's your uncle, and actual rock that is an actual fishing sign. (Or whatever cloned object you prefer.)

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Test Subject
#10 Old 15th Nov 2020 at 8:35 PM
I do it all the time. I even have an indoor pool in a nightclub/Restaurant with multiple fishing signs around it having several types of fish in the pool. Kind of a mix and match of species that are only on particular signs and not on others. And I have mermaids swimming in the pool. I can click on the pool water WHERE the fish are and get all the normal menu items for fishing. I move over a bit to open water where the fish are not at and get all the swimming/pool menu items. I typically hide the signs in a diving stand object where you can't see it or even build a wall around the pool and hide the sign in the wall.