Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Sep 2020 at 10:36 PM
Default "Deleting 2 Items From Roaming"? What does this mean?
I don't know if I am posting this in the right place, but recently whenever I load The Sims 2 and press 'Play' on the launcher, I always get a message saying "Deleting 2 Items From Roaming."

This has never happened before and has begun happening everytime I load the game up today. It's frustrating, because I don't know what's causing it and it doesn't allow my game to start instantly anymore. I have to wait for that to finish before it loads.

Again, this has never happened before. Can anybody tell me the possible cause and how to make it go away, if that's possible. I'll greatly appreciate it.

I'm on Windows 10, if that helps.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Sep 2020 at 11:02 PM
If you are on the UC it could be Origin deleting data in hidden cache files. https://crinrict.com/blog/2014/09/d...ache-files.html

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Sep 2020 at 2:25 AM
I don't play with the UC, I have the discs. All EPs and three SPs (H&M, Family Fun, and Happy Holiday). What would this mean for the discs, if you know?

Lab Assistant
#4 Old 15th Sep 2020 at 4:01 PM
I don't think that's an Origin thing, it's Windows 8 and 10 that do that. I'm not sure what the "Roaming" is for, but probably it's like that link says, cache files. Which means they are just copies of some game installation files. So there should be no problem if they are deleted.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Sep 2020 at 4:14 PM
So, do I just the follow that link to prevent it appearing, or is this a permanent thing now?

I use the discs, not the Ultimate Collection, so I don't know if I have to follow different steps in regards to the link.

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 12:38 AM
You could try. I bet it's safe to delete... But I'm not sure, I hope someone else knows.
I also play the discs version and I have nothing about TS2 in that Roaming folder. I once had problems with VirtualStore, which is, like Roaming, inside AppData folder. And I know the Sims data inside there is safe to delete.

By the way,
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
whenever I load The Sims 2 and press 'Play' on the launcher

Didn't you consider skipping the launcher? The launcher takes a while to open, it's quite a waste of time.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 12:41 PM
Funnily enough, the launcher, loads relatively fast for me; it only takes a couple of seconds.

I'll check the folder before I load the game up tonight and see what's there.

Mad Poster
#8 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 1:18 PM
The launcher can occasionally create problems, and if it's the old disc launcher it may be trying to connect to the old website or do some other shady stuff in the background.

Another potential problem is SecuRom (the old disc copy protection), which is a known Win10 and discs "either you have issues or you don't" thing. Not sure if the files can be connected, but it's possible.

Either way, bypassing the launcher is probably a good idea. The launcher is a completely unnecessary step for playing TS2. I haven't allowed that thing to start on any of my computers for probably the past 12+ years, I think... :/