Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Feb 2022 at 1:00 PM
Default Can't place top landing
Hey folks got a bit of a puzzle that's stumped me - I am suddenly unable to place any modular stairs as it simply says "Can't place top landing"

So far in my unsuccessful efforts to figure out why it's doing this I've:

- Confirmed that it happens on/off foundations as well as between floors.
- Replicated it on a perfectly flat lot in a fresh test hood
- Tried moveObjects on
- Tried messing around with boolProp constrainFloorElevation
- Made sure there were no walls even vaguely in the vicinity
- Ripped out my entire mods folder and cleared the cache

None of this has changed or fixed anything. Can anyone see what I might be doing wrong, or have any clue why it's doing this? I'm used to the finnicky annoyance of "Can't place step" but this is a new one and it has me stumped.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Feb 2022 at 5:29 PM
Do you have any custom content? Sounds like a conflict somewhere.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Feb 2022 at 5:33 PM
See that's what I thought, but removing the entire contents of my downloads folder didn't help in the slightest.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Feb 2022 at 5:54 PM
Do you have any config mods or anything installed to your bins/ overrides folders? What has changed since it last worked?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Feb 2022 at 6:21 PM
I have the scriptorium and a lighting mod and such but haven't touched/altered those in years. Nothing relating to bins/overrides as far as I can tell.
Since I last played (When it worked) the only changes I've made have been uninstalling a default terrain replacement and reorganizing (But not adding/removing anything) my CAS items subfolder. Oh, and I added boolProp allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation true to my userstartup.cheat file.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 26th Feb 2022 at 8:44 PM
Do a test- drag your Documents/ EAGames/ The Sims 2 folder to the desktop. Run the game, and it will generate a brand new set of folders in the default state. Enter one of the Maxis neighbourhoods and find a lot- can you build a staircase there?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Feb 2022 at 8:57 PM
Have done as instructed - Nope, still no building staircases for me.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 26th Feb 2022 at 9:27 PM
Okay, so now you know it's not caused by something wrong with your userdata (documents folder). So it must be something wrong with your game data (installation files). What you need to do is to restore any files you changed to their default state. Did you backup the stair script files before you changed them with scriptorium? Those are most likely going to be the culprits. If you didn't, Scriptorium has an uninstallation routine that should restore the original files, so try that first. If that fails, you could repair the files if you are playing with Origin, or else you may have to reinstall.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Mar 2022 at 7:52 PM
Sorry, work got real busy, but I finally got time to try this.

Uninstalling the scriptorium did it, though I now suspect I have a long evening of figuring out what broke before I can reinstall. Gotta love how sometimes this game decides that it's just done with random bits of CC it's been playing nice with for years, huh? Thanks for the help!