Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#10376 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 3:23 AM
Retirement home, CASnarl. Free range them, crank ACR up if you've got it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10377 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 6:07 AM
Now I feel really bad @CASnarl. Don't abandon your neighbourhood because of me. The last thing I wanted to do was to hurt you. There's no point in me being nice to my Sims and then hurting real people. I see you've deleted your posts so it looks as if I've really upset you. The Sims 2 is a great game, and we all can enjoy playing it in our different ways. Please try to enjoy your neighbourhood the way you want to play it and don't let me spoil it for you. I'd rather that you killed a thousand townies than that you stopped playing on my account.

Enjoy your game and enjoy your life, and don't let a clumsy busybody like me spoil it. I wish there was something I could do to make up for the harm I've obviously done. When I see my Sims upset, I want to get into the game beside them and hug them. So may I offer you a big virtual hug too?

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#10378 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 6:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Even when they don't kill them, some Simmers seem to have an unreasoning hatred of townies. Don't let your children play with their children. Don't let your teens date their teens. It's like a fear of racial contamination. Why?

I'm one player who has mentioned that in my current hood, my playables are allowed no interactions with Townies. Don't worry - no offense taken. The premise of Shape Island was that of a social experiment - 50 single adult Sims of various body Shapes were placed on a modernized Island to see how their community would fare.

However because the game automatically generated the Townies, the "Shaplies", as I call them, have to ignore all Townies or the experiment will be invalidated. There's no discrimination or hatred there it's just that the start of Shape Island predated any knowledge I had of clean hoods. (I've been playing it since 2015.) If I were to start again, then I'd remove the Townies ahead of time so they wouldn't be a factor. But at least this way, they're all alive enjoying their immortal lives with one other on the community lots (or perhaps somewhere else) while my playables age up, grow old and die.

It makes a good story to imagine what Townies do when they aren't seen. Where do they go when they disappear off our lots? What, if anything, are they doing there? Are they in suspended animation in a black hole or do they have their own world that they inhabit and interact in with one another when they aren't on the active lot? How do they explain the other people who appeared on the lots when they weren't there before? It can make for an interesting tale.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Scholar
#10379 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 7:21 AM
Personally I'd love to have no townies,
can't have any townies with noregen and marrying or adopting them all into families. no lost souls in my game (when I've finally added them all to homes.)
Mad Poster
#10380 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 7:40 AM
I play without townies. It is just pure want limit numbers of sims in neighborhood to minimum. Ahd I still have NPCs, a service sims and universal sims what game has for game mechanic purposes and I am contented with that even though this is still bigger number than my playable sims. I play on Windows and I am not limited with file limit (like CASnarl) but I still want to know every sim in my neighborhood.
To be honest I'd like to start all over in this situation elliminating all townies from appearing in first place. When I need 1 or 2 townies I can create them, when I need bin family I can add them as shopping district.
I do not like kill townies and if they appear there is the most human way to age them off (if you have played whole lifespan) or send them away from town (turn them into tourists). Townie aging mod is really needed in this game what takes every day 6 p.m (or midnight for lesser lag) and ages all townies by 1 day up. It must be not automatic. you must click to toggle it at the end of rotation.
Forum Resident
#10381 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 1:08 PM Last edited by CrystalFlame360 : 28th Feb 2021 at 1:58 PM. Reason: Fixed Typo
Be careful. I recall that you have "Real Sickness". It may have spread to Real Life. Take plenty of bed rest and drink large quantities of Grandma's Comfort Soup. Get Well Soon!

Thanks! I'm fine now, but I really hate being ill

As for the Townie discussion, I love 'em. Without them the hoods feels so... is 'barren' the word I'm looking for? Empty. I wanted a fixed Strangetown mainhood and a Veronaville mainhood, but after finding out that they came without townies (more likely to prevent unwanted bloat) it was a deal breaker for me. I found a fixed Strangetown on here and it has townies! I was just adding recessive genes to the sims before loading the hood up; I made note on the genetics from meetme2theriver's subhoods that I downloaded (and use a lot) to do that.

Shame that there isn't a fixed Veronaville with townies...

I keep the same old Pleasantview townies in my custom hoods and I practically grew up with them. I almost know all of their names... even the Garden Club members and some Social Class Townies. I don't know much about the Strangetown townies, so I'm excited to become familiar with them.

As far as death in my game is concerned, it happens. Natural and unnatural. Story driven and random based on my mod setup. But my default playstyle is play until age defeats them. If they die due to random events from mods, have a friend / family member beg for them. If they fail, they fail. My game is far from a utopia, but it certainly isn't a dystopia either.

Having death in my game makes me feel things as I play. When I play a game, I like to laugh at funny things, have my jaw drop during drama, gush over cute scenes, and cry when sims die. I love emotional gameplay, that's why outside of The Sims, I play story driven games.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Instructor
#10382 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 3:57 PM
@AndrewGloria
I got your pm and tried to respond but it said you exceeded your limit or something. I wrote up a kinda nice thing so I saved it in a note file, so I hope I can share it with you.

(or maybe it wasn't a pm maybe it was just an @ ?? 'cause I can't find a pm but it showed up like one)
Link Ninja
#10383 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 4:36 PM
I used to be very anti-townie because they all looked so funky but now I've accepted them as background people and even have fun catching them and making them over with gussy up mod while I wait for my sim to do a long activity on a community lot.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Top Secret Researcher
#10384 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 4:37 PM
CASnarl I nearly replied to your thread about "disposing" of townies, but didn't want to appear judgemental. But the truth is that I found it very disturbing. "Disturbing" because you seemed to be using using the language of genocide. [...]

Wow, that whole post was a stretch. Moralizing over how people play their games, really? Don't really like what you're implying there.
It's fun to kill townies. *shrug*
Instructor
#10385 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 4:53 PM Last edited by CASnarl : 28th Feb 2021 at 5:29 PM.
I was thinking about how I don't like that it's harder to fulfill premade elder sims ltws.

For example, Denise Jacquet wants to be a level 10 criminal in my game.....for some reason.
Idk what mod it is, whatever mod lets you choose full time/part time, but when I had her get a full time job in the criminal career it didn't fill the want. Because normally elders aren't supposed to be able to get full time careers.

Normally she'd only be able to get to level 3, but she wants level 10.

And then it's just like well it's not my fault she starts out as an elder, do I just like NOT fill her ltw then? I shouldn't have to need a mod or use cheats to do it.

EDIT: Didn't wanna double post.

It also annoys me how almost none of the maxis houses have ceilings. So I have to keep remembering to put some. 'Cause I don't like to see the sky above the walls.

SECOND EDIT: Better

THIRD EDIT OF ANNOYANCE:
Malcolm wanted to gain creativity, he also wanted an easel. I didn't lock either because I have more important wants locked already. Bought him the easel. Wants rerolled. He doesn't want to gain creativity now.
Forum Resident
#10386 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 6:26 PM
Don't worry, if Malcolm needs creativity for his job and he's a fortune sim, then it should reroll... at least in my experience. As for the LTW issue, usually getting an elder a full-time job through debug mode fulfills the want for me (granted, I don't do that often), however, I'm aware that not everyone is keen on debug mode. I also agree that it should be an option to give them full-time or part-time in vanilla gameplay.

Forum Resident
#10387 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 10:15 PM
After starting to design a custom neighbourhood for myself to play in based on celebrity drama and famous sims, I have realized that half the male sims are going to be gay. How am I going to keep this neighbourhood alive, let alone pass on their genetics. I know I could knock them up with the sim blender, but I don't really do that in my games... if they were a bunch of face template premades I would just have them adopt, but I'll be making them and I really wanna see their genes mixing... Welp vent over I guess...
Instructor
#10388 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 10:17 PM
@sugoisama

Dunno how well it'd fit into your plan but there's always aliens.
Mad Poster
#10389 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 10:21 PM
They can be bi rather than gay and use jealousy hacks to knock up a friend as a surrogate without disrupting their primary same-sex partnership; or some of them can be trans; or you can choose to use SimBlender between friends and call it artificial insimination.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#10390 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 10:59 PM
Just realized I forgot to put Melody Tinker on my list to help me remember birthdays.

There's some names, like Angela & Lilith, who aren't on there because they're already YA (my teen lifespan is 6 days iirc so they were only teens for one rotation)

But I've definitely forgot Melody.

Gonna have to go into SimPE and make sure I haven't forgot anyone else. I already had to do this once today because I forgot Justin Kim in the children category. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if I forgot a toddler or two too.
Instructor
#10391 Old 1st Mar 2021 at 1:45 AM Last edited by CASnarl : 1st Mar 2021 at 2:05 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by CASnarl
@AndrewGloria
I got your pm and tried to respond but it said you exceeded your limit or something. I wrote up a kinda nice thing so I saved it in a note file, so I hope I can share it with you.

(or maybe it wasn't a pm maybe it was just an @ ?? 'cause I can't find a pm but it showed up like one)

@AndrewGloria

I don't want to forget so I'm attaching it. I don't mind really if any other noseys read it. But since I can't pm you it's better than you not getting to see it at all.
(it's good I promise)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10392 Old 1st Mar 2021 at 3:48 AM
Hi CASnarl! I've got your text, read it, and saved it to my computer. So you can safely remove the attachment if you'd prefer other people not to read it. Thanks for sending it. I'll try to reply properly when I'm a lot less tired than I am just now.

I'm very, very sorry for saying things that were hurtful to you. It should be a lesson to me to be a lot more careful what I say in my posts. I'm glad to see you posting again and I hope you're feeling a lot better. Happy Simming!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Instructor
#10393 Old 1st Mar 2021 at 8:05 AM
@Sugoisama: You say you don't get them pregnant using SimBlender and if you've based it on celebrities maybe your game is too realistic for this, but I have a sort of 'excuse' for making same sex couples pregnant that I've been happy with and that has made it less weird for me. I decided that after the first sim in a neighbourhood is abducted by aliens and returns pregnant the sims in that neighbourhood are given alien technology for this as a sort of compensation. This means it's not a given that any gay couple in the hood will ever get pregnant, it depends on whether a sim gets abducted or not and if I'm not sure whether or not I want to go that route in this neighbourhood I can keep sims away from the big telescopes and avoid it. And when I get desperately sorry for the sims who don't get to procreate (as I nearly always do!) I start letting them use the telescopes again but don't actively direct them to summon aliens, so it's never really in my control.
Forum Resident
#10394 Old 1st Mar 2021 at 9:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestions @ y'all, funny thing is that the moment I posted that I went to take a shower and was hit with Thoughts (tm), and managed to come up with a sorta-solution too: I could knock a sim up with sim blender, then accelerate the pregnancy, then mess around with the memories and such to make it seem like they adopted the baby, then blame similarities on coincidence *wink* or genetic engineering (these people are probably rich enough for that). Funnily enough, after coming up with this, I also managed to get the idea of making all townies and adoptables related to the J.S. sim as a nod to Steph0sims, whose sim popped out 100 babies in under 24 hours. Maybe I shouldn't ground myself in reality so much, lol
Instructor
#10395 Old 1st Mar 2021 at 2:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
Maybe I shouldn't ground myself in reality so much, lol

I think there's a balance we have to find between our reality and sim reality. In sim-land, male pregnancy through alien abduction is totally realistic and normal. In our land, ....well I 'spose I can't prove that it's not
Forum Resident
#10396 Old 1st Mar 2021 at 2:29 PM
Yeah, my game is far from grounded in reality

Instructor
#10397 Old 1st Mar 2021 at 3:42 PM
I feel like I've known this, but I just noticed that I have a weakness for downloading anything cat themed.

Do I need more cat pictures that I'll almost never use?
Yes
Mad Poster
#10398 Old 2nd Mar 2021 at 2:34 AM
Periodically I find myself wishing I could PLAY the game rather than work on projects in it, but I have exactly zero neighborhoods that capture my interest, and the one I really want to play is the one that a lot of my current projects are FOR, so that doesn't exactly help...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Field Researcher
#10399 Old 2nd Mar 2021 at 5:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Periodically I find myself wishing I could PLAY the game rather than work on projects in it, but I have exactly zero neighborhoods that capture my interest, and the one I really want to play is the one that a lot of my current projects are FOR, so that doesn't exactly help...

Haha, same!! For weeks now I've been working on choosing JUST the right mix of cc for a new neighborhood I want to set up rather than just... setting it up and playing it.

To be fair it's gonna be really epic when I finally do!
Instructor
#10400 Old 2nd Mar 2021 at 3:17 PM
Between my two uploads I have ~100 total downloads so far :lovestruc

Aaaah, I never imagined I'd get any at all!
Page 416 of 520