Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Site Helper
#51 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 3:52 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 22nd Jun 2009 at 4:08 PM.
Your technique sounds correct. I believe that the water level on the lot is causing the problem with earlier EPs. Unfortunately, the GridAdjuster doesn't change the water level (yet).

Try this: before placing the invisible tiles or using the GridAdjuster, move the ground level inside the basement down, so that it is below where the basement floor will be. What you want is something similar to what you would do to create a normal sloped basement.

Then, add the invisible tiles on the (lowered) ground and use the GridAdjuster to lower levels 1 and above. If necessary, you can then move the ground level up using the GridAdjuster.

Explanation: When you lower the ground in-game, the water level moves with the ground level; if you subsequently raise the ground using the GridAdjuster, the water level is not raised.

In the interim, I'll try to get the code to change the water level into the GridAdjuster. Sorry that it's taken so long.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 5:52 AM
Mission Accomplished
The suggested methood worked like a charm.

I'm seeing so much in the way of possibilities with this Mod and I thank you for it. No worries on any delays. I'm happy to have the new toy and will be putting it to good use within my downtown lots especially.

Happy Simming!
Site Helper
#53 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 6:14 PM
Great. I'm glad that workaround helped. It also helps to confirm my suspicion about the water level, which puts a higher priority on completing the GridAdjuster water level changes.

In the interim, I added this info to my tutorial post.
Test Subject
#54 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 6:20 PM
One more thing to note about the water level is that the destination menu will not work properly in the basement. Even with the water level properly lowered, sims cannot "go here", "run here", etc. Instead, they only have the option to "fish using...".

This isn't much of a problem since they can fully interact with any object placed in the basement, but it does present a bit of an issue when transporting babies, toddlers, kittens or puppies. Since these sims can't navigate stairs, they have to be picked up, the carrying sim has to "go here" and then "put down". In those cases, I've used moveobjects, but for anyone sharing their lots widely, this should probably be acknowledged.

I also noticed that although you can eliminate fish in the basement, you can still hear them jumping.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 6:58 AM Last edited by niol : 27th Jul 2009 at 6:36 AM.
All,

May choose whichever way one feels comfortable with.

Quote: Originally posted by response to tutorial by simfreakforever
First, thanks a big bunch for the hard work on making this tutorial.

The OFB prerequisite seems to be for the cheat "deleteallwalls", but alternatively one can just simply delete all the walls after floor-tiling the invloved grid layer regions. Wall is unnecessary nor arbitrarily effective to lock the grid points (values) while floor tiles can lock them well enough.

To control or delete floor tiles can be easily done by <<Shift>><<click>> or <<Ctrl>><<Shift>><<click>>. One can even tile a plain ground or floor grid to alter the floor tile texture or simply delete them all altogether. May just use this common technique used in lot building.

Thus, this tutorial can work in all game version.

Quote: Originally posted by response to comments on V1ND1CARE's <4-click tutorial
V1ND1CARE had explained her trick in a very lucid abstract way.

Points to take:

1. what really changed is that the lower grid layer or the lower wall segment gets raised or incremented by the undo-redo scripting without the 4-click/4-step limit enforced only by the build tools. We should appreciate such imperfect design sometimes. .

2. Her tutorial is for various usages other than just for one purpose to build only a particular build feature.

Quote: Originally posted by basement lot fixing
For those who are interested in Aeflaed's basement attempt, may read posts 32 to 39, and post 43 (section: lot fixing)
http://www.modthesims.info/download...659#post2182659

Quote: Originally posted by foundation wall, foundation block and wall-down gap
Quote: Originally posted by jonha
Converting level 1 to foundation makes sense to me, as it will not be put partially down then anymore, which looks ugly, but why level2? After that, you wont be able to put wall hangings, toilets etc. at the wall without cheats.

1. The "moveobjects on" cheat is one way.
2. Modding the appropriate wall.txt in the base game copy to allow foundation wall to hold object is yet an another.
3. To place objects on normal standard wall before conversion by Mootilda's ConvertiWall is a third one.
4. Maybe more, anybody?

As an alternative to Mootilda's ConvertiWall, one can also commentise the catelog flag and add in thumbnail references for foundation wall in the base game wall.txt to unleash such wall in the wall tool to build with.

Modding InfoCenter - Partitions: walls, fences, fence arches
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=106473

As for the sky revelation underground due to wall-down, alternatively, one may use a wall overlay custom objects to cover up. For examples:

1. pixelhate's wall overlay
http://www.modthesims.info/d/242442
2. Jonesi's swim-pool wall overlay
http://www.modthesims.info/d/216340

Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
However, I cannot delete any of the existing walls, and they don't go down at all in cutaway view.

Is that because they are foundations? I'm going to change the second level back to normal and try again, but I thought I'd ask / record the phenomenon.

Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
To remove a foundation in game, you must be viewing the grid at the top of the foundation. Then, use the <ctrl> key with any foundation tool.Alternatively, as you've seen, you can change foundation walls to normal walls using ConvertiWall, to make them easier to delete.
And, I suppose that people could also mod their walls.txt file to make foundation walls deletable using the default wall tool.

It takes levelroom tools like foundation tools (esp. useful with the screen deck and column deck ones while the default foundation one is limitted to the ground level ) to delete foundation walls as defined in the base game wall.txt file. So, if one wants to use partition tools like wall tools or fence tools to delete foundation walls, one may mod that. Note, partition tools like wall tools and fence tools cannot delete all components of a foundation block like invisible occupancy and etc, and so incomplete deletion of a foundation block can result.

Quote: Originally posted by jonha
Because you can't change the wall texture on the reversed level1 wall after pulling it down, right?

You may, it at least can take a further hassle to mod the related files in a lot package file afterwards.

Quote: Originally posted by connexion between levels/pages/storeys/stories
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
The only reason might be if the basement was smaller than the house - with an old-fashioned foundation basement, you can't do that. Well, you can hollow out less than the full amount of foundation, but you can't have part of the ground floor on foundation and part not. Not without a lot of CFE carry-on.

The main problem that I can see is that a sim cannot travel from one level to another without stairs. Even if two levels are at exactly the same elevation, a sim will not be able to cross the level boundary. I don't know whether this applies to your situation, but it's something to keep in mind

If they belong to 2 different levels/pages/storeys/stories, 3 known ways out:
1. ensure a difference of 2 clicks/steps between the two for modular/connecting stairs. The upper step is to connect the upper one and the lower step is to connect to the lower one.
2. modded custom staircase as a plain 2 grid-based portals, one end connects to the upper one while the another end to the lower one. Such object may have a recolour to indicate which end is upper and/or lower and a invisible recolour to hide itself.
3. sunken stealth stair, in which the modular stair formed under the ground and in this case under the basement, as shown in one of frillen's magic build tutorials. The only draw-back is a reasonably fast scene that the sims jumped down into the ground upon entry and jumped back up at the another exit.
4. maybe more, anywho?
http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/sto...&user_id=126444
{Links: frillen tutorial & modular stair behaviour]

If they belong to the same but yet another level/page/storey/story. Sims can access inclined/ramped floor tiles. This may break the weather proof for sims but graphical weather proof should remain as long as there is still a full closed room above the region for such ramp.

As long as it is well planned, no general problem I see so far.

The real challenge I see is what if the basement has an area out of or larger than the building(s). Can invisible floor tiles on upper grid layers help vuisualise the basement accordingly without causing graphical glitch?

Quote: Originally posted by aeflaed
It has bugged me, though, that it isn't possible to have a basement on a ground-level building.

Not really so, one may get around it:

1. One may just raise the grid points around the stair to form stage while the immediate upper level is untiled for the region.

2. One may make the level-transition by modular stairs for sims inside a building, so the external appearance of the building will still be on the ground as one likes it.
This is to get an extra level even upper than the "actual level for the basement" and that "immediate upper level"/"ceiling-level" of the basement as a transitional stage. Such stage can be just small and narrow like 1 grid alone for the stair and wide up to about 2 grids from any entry.

Surely, this is somewhat more tricky.

3. as suggested in 2. and 3. of the response to the previous quotes,

4. maybe more, anyone?

Quote: Originally posted by LevelAdder
During my work with the LevelAdder, a road on level 1 at an elevation of 16 clicks did not prevent moving the lot; being able to move a lot in the neighborhood view is a prerequisite to being able to share the lot as a Sims2Pack.)

So, can it still movable without any further lot-modding after an in-lot save?
Just curious... This sounds good.

Quote: Originally posted by TS2GridAdjuster and suggestions
Quote: Originally posted by aeflaed
Wish - that the program could identify enclosed areas and determine it's own depth/width for the level from that.

Too large the grey areas other than black or white to consider , like just simply non-room architectures (balcony, structural decorations, etc). Nobody but the lot-builder should know any better.

TS2GridAdjuster is a general-purpose tool. Having the tool try to guess what you are trying to accomplish and setting its own depth and width would make it less general purpose.

ditto, that at most can only be an attempt option with too many limitations while the effort may not worth it.

But from aelfaed, I learnt that probably a graphically scaled and labelled in-lot tutorial picture may help visualise the concept to use TS2GridAdjuster. For the underground, invisible floor tiles can help visualise that.

On a second thought, one can just simply set the input range as the same as that of a given lot size.
Maybe, the range inputs have the lot size specs. range by default. This can even save a fuss to check and uncheck an option.

One possibility for the UI would be to have a "snap range to walls" button (suggestions for better names appreciated), available when the current range has only 1 level. Clicking on the button would override the depth and width, setting them to the minimal range which includes all walls on that level.

ditto.

I believe that the water level on the lot is causing the problem with earlier EPs. Unfortunately, the GridAdjuster doesn't change the water level (yet).

I guess a simple replacement of value in the terrain water/pond water array with a regular free HEX editor should suffice to prove, right?
The problem I see is the same as pool-floor recolouring in pre-EP5 swimpool, while the post-EP5 one seems to have the ground tile removed.

Quote: Originally posted by snowmoon2001
One more thing to note about the water level is that the destination menu will not work properly in the basement. Even with the water level properly lowered, sims cannot "go here", "run here", etc. Instead, they only have the option to "fish using...".

This isn't much of a problem since they can fully interact with any object placed in the basement, but it does present a bit of an issue when transporting babies, toddlers, kittens or puppies. Since these sims can't navigate stairs, they have to be picked up, the carrying sim has to "go here" and then "put down". In those cases, I've used moveobjects, but for anyone sharing their lots widely, this should probably be acknowledged.

I also noticed that although you can eliminate fish in the basement, you can still hear them jumping.

Probably, the default input range for the terrain/pond water is the same as the lot size can ease fast needs.
Site Helper
#56 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by snowmoon2001

Would you please attach your lot here, so that I could take a look at it and try to figure out what's happening? Thanks.
Test Subject
#57 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 7:28 PM
Would you please attach your lot here, so that I could take a look at it and try to figure out what's happening? Thanks.

Unfortunately, I'm travelling for the next few days so I'm unable to give this the proper attention, but I'm uploading what I believe is the lot in question. I have several saved versions, so I'm sure I'll be able to find the right one if this doesn't serve. I'm sorry it's so packed full of extraneous garbage; I can easily get you a trimmed down version if you're willing to wait a few days instead.

Of note, I didn't make any structural changes to the basement after this save, but the lot I'm playing is shrunken to within one tile of the walls at the right and the back.

Another factor may be that I didn't lower the water level enough. It was purely an accident of laziness when I lowered the terrain under the basement before beginning to build. I only lowered it 2 storeys so the water level must be at -32 clicks, but in order to get access to the corners of the basement, I had to lower the ground tiles to -40 clicks. I didn't anticipate that it would cause any problems since the basement floor is only -10 clicks deep, but perhaps that's the issue after all.
Site Helper
#58 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 12:22 AM
OK, I've got the lot. Thank you.

The shrinking of the lot shouldn't affect this issue, since the LotAdjuster only changes the grid elevations and water level at the very edge of the lot. However, if I can't reproduce your problem, I'll try shrinking it, just in case.

Have a nice trip.
Test Subject
#59 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 1:12 AM
Thank you, I'm no longer in transit so I can now ferret out my other saves, if necessary. Does that lot show the effect I described?

As I said, for me it's a small price to pay for sunny basements and prettier lot impostors, but I thought it should be mentioned.
Site Helper
#60 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 5:56 AM
Sorry, I haven't had a chance yet to look at it.
Test Subject
#61 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 12:33 AM
Sorry, I haven't had a chance yet to look at it.

Oh no problem. Let me know any time if it doesn't work for you.
Site Helper
#62 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 1:14 AM
Sorry for taking so long to get to this issue. I'll admit that I'm stumped.

I was able to reproduce the "'go to' becomes 'fish for'" problem with your lot. I checked the water level and it looks OK. I removed all CC, except for the required invisible tile, and it still has the problem.

However, I haven't been able to reproduce this issue with a newly-created lot, so I'm still trying to figure out why your lot has the problem and mine doesn't.

Has anyone else seen this issue?
Alchemist
#63 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 12:02 PM
I didn't, but I have only made a couple of basements this way (been distracted with islander theme which doesn't require basements at all).

I was thinking of making a cave/dungeon for the island though, perhaps I should give it a try.
Test Subject
#64 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 8:57 PM
Sorry for taking so long to get to this issue. I'll admit that I'm stumped.

I was able to reproduce the "'go to' becomes 'fish for'" problem with your lot. I checked the water level and it looks OK. I removed all CC, except for the required invisible tile, and it still has the problem.

However, I haven't been able to reproduce this issue with a newly-created lot, so I'm still trying to figure out why your lot has the problem and mine doesn't.

Maybe some more information about my building process will help, because I have this problem on all my no-slope basement lots, about half a dozen. One of my habits is that I always start building in my mac game with very little CC. It has EPs up to BV only. All but the smallest details of the physical structure are completed there.

Sometimes, the lot is later brought into my Windows game, which has all EPs. That was the case with the lot I sent you. It may well be that the water level fix doesn't work in BV, or the updating process does something to change it.

At the moment I don't have any no-slope basement lots in play on the mac side. I'll build a test lot in my BV game though, to see what the destination menu there looks like.
Site Helper
#65 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 1:05 AM
Hmm... interesting. Let me keep working on this. I'm sorry that you can't use the technique for now.

Yes, it would be good to know whether this occurs with BV lots, or only with BV lots subsequently upgraded to all EPs.

I don't suppose that you've tried using the original method (the one that doesn't use the GridAdjuster)?
Alchemist
#66 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 9:59 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 7th Aug 2009 at 10:14 AM.
I've just flooded my basement, not with this kind of method but apparently by shrinking the lot. The basement was the old-fashioned kind. Maybe it is the shrinking after all?

Now I'll have to trawl through old posts and see if I can work out how to fix it.

EDIT: okay, not the shrinking, although for some reason the trouble only showed up after that. Oh, I know why - because I picked up and dropped the lot to finalise the shrink. And the reason for the flooding was simply a high water table - I modified a section of the terrain, and the same lot is not flooded when placed on high ground. Phew.

Alarm bells off again.
Site Helper
#67 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 4:30 PM
I considered that the "no go to" problem might be caused by the neighborhood water table, so I moved the original lot to high ground and still had the problem.

The LotAdjuster doesn't change the in-lot water level (except at the very edge), so shrinking shouldn't affect things. Plus, I checked the in-lot water level on the problem lot and it seemed fine. However, I must admit that I didn't try actually creating a no-slope basement then shrinking the lot myself, since I assumed that the shrinking had nothing to do with the problem.

I'll try it and see whether this allows me to reproduce the problem.
Test Subject
#68 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 4:33 AM
Hmm... interesting. Let me keep working on this. I'm sorry that you can't use the technique for now.

Yes, it would be good to know whether this occurs with BV lots, or only with BV lots subsequently upgraded to all EPs.

I don't suppose that you've tried using the original method (the one that doesn't use the GridAdjuster)?

To be honest, I never did try the original method because it was confusing to me. The first such basements I made were from your simplified tute using the grid adjuster.

I tested in my BV game, and the destination menus there are the same as in AL. I don't know if updating just to FT is enough, but that wouldn't help mac players since EA never bothered to port those later EPs to OS X.

You are gravely mistaken though, if you think this little issue would prevent me from building these lots in BV for my mac game! I think I probably would not share them because of this, but for me it's an inconsequential price to pay for good-looking lots with basements. I'm grateful to you for the time spent developing the Grid Adjuster.
Mad Poster
#69 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 7:00 AM
Just a thought,

What will that be if there is a grid point of the ground terrain layer lower than the corresponding grid point of the terrain water layer for a given region?

May that be a check for the game to define the presence of a lake or a pond?
May that in turns permit the visualisation of the destination menu?

Yet another thought,

Anyone interested in getting 2 copies of the same blank lot saved at different times? one before making a pond and one after such... Lot z value is unimportant in this case, I guess, so copies of neighbourhood packages may not be necessary.

May attach the resultants to this thread?
Test Subject
#70 Old 31st Aug 2009 at 2:30 PM
thanks alot for the tutorial. I would really like to learn to use this kind of building but usually it's too time consuming. Arched bridges are usually my limit lol!
Site Helper
#71 Old 5th Oct 2009 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by niol
What will that be if there is a grid point of the ground terrain layer lower than the corresponding grid point of the terrain water layer for a given region?

May that be a check for the game to define the presence of a lake or a pond?
May that in turns permit the visualisation of the destination menu?
Good point. This might explain the presence of the option to fish. It might make sense to have a separate tool which will set the ground level, underground level and water levels, all at the same time. It might even be possible to have the tool decide which walls are "outside walls" and set the width and depth ranges accordingly. Hmm... might be an interesting project.

Quote: Originally posted by niol
Anyone interested in getting 2 copies of the same blank lot saved at different times? one before making a pond and one after such... Lot z value is unimportant in this case, I guess, so copies of neighbourhood packages may not be necessary.

May attach the resultants to this thread?
I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. Where exactly are you considering adding a pond? Under the basement, or elsewhere on the lot?

In any case, it's fine to attach test lot packages to this thread.
Test Subject
#72 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 8:18 PM
Yeah I tried this, it doesn't work, after returning the ground level to it's normal form, I still can't see or access the bottom floor, at all, putting tiles doesn't do anything and there are a few craters in through the ground each time. that can only be fixed by distorting the basements floor.
Site Helper
#73 Old 30th May 2010 at 5:01 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 6th Jun 2010 at 10:31 PM.
Default Super Simple Method
The new version of the TS2GridAdjuster V1.2 now has the option of making a no-slope basement. You specify the range and the elevation and it will do everything else for you, including adjusting the ground and water levels and making the ground invisible without any CC. A tutorial is included in the GridAdjuster download thread. (Post # 62)
Scholar
#74 Old 25th Apr 2011 at 7:16 PM
Thanks for this! I'm going to go try it now! :D
Test Subject
#75 Old 26th Apr 2011 at 3:37 PM
Okej Nice <3
Page 3 of 3