Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Maxis "Lost & Found" #4: The Matte Sphere *OPEN CONTEST*

by Numenor Posted 6th Jan 2005 at 6:28 PM - Updated 16th Feb 2009 at 12:21 AM by Numenor : Added several Animated Spheres by Pixelhate

85 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 83 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 4
Scholar
#76 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 6:58 PM
Ahah nice stuff I have... ! I'd like to participate. Where do I post ? Here or regular way?

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#77 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 9:37 PM
Post your creation here, at the end of the thread, an I'll move the attachment and the screenshot to the first post

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Scholar
#78 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 5:29 PM Last edited by Numenor : 16th Feb 2009 at 12:23 AM.
Default More Spheres
The "contest" seems still open...and I don't risk to be called necromancer here, so here's my participation:

An invisible recolour for the sphere & the stand.
A broken sphere with a used stand.
A Shiny Copper stand with a subtle reflective glass sphere.
6 texture animated recolours for the sphere itself.

For standard material
- Tile animation - The Electric Blue Sphere
- Translate animation - The Lava Flow, The Rotating Earth.
- Rotate animation - The Green Rotating Glow
- Scale animation - The Alien Thinggy

For waterAnimatedTexture material
- Water animation - The Golden Eternal Flame.

Each recolour is an illustration of the possible type of texture animations in game.
Animated recolours are glowing in the dark, except the Earth one. Only the necessary parameters have been left out.
While I take my time to achieve a reference guide with the detailed settings for animation texture. (part 4 of the released documents, available here, you're welcome to study them

Pixelhate. 2009.

EDIT by Numenor:
The files can now be downloaded HERE
Screenshots

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
#79 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 7:07 PM
Thanks, pixelhate! A fine addition to my collection.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Forum Resident
#80 Old 16th Feb 2009 at 8:56 AM
beautiful and so cool!thanx Numenor!
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 16th Feb 2009 at 9:11 AM Last edited by jason7871 : 16th Feb 2009 at 9:34 AM. Reason: Added "numenor" also for thanking... Plus i am a dunce...
Thanks Numenor for this thread and PixelHate for his link in his upload, You know i had too grab this "sphere" mesh you recolored/retextured or modded... haha Numenor Rocks as well, now this makes me wanna recolour/retexture it haha but i am full of Phail, i been up all night fighting with it but i just gotta do this knocked over with your busted globe and a Resident Evil insignia on a piece of paper inside with red like liquid, just gotta try and implement it... haha If i can that is, then i won't have too burden you all Fantabulous creators and modders. hahah *goes back in simPE/etc. for another phailed experiment in modding h$$l...lol*

"The only thing too fear is fear it's self."- FDR
"As you slide down the bannister of life,consider me a splinter."~Jason Crawford
Test Subject
#82 Old 5th Mar 2009 at 3:41 AM
Oh wow does this ever remind me of the holo-sky projector that Jason Duskey made (trekkie). I think some of his stuff is up on Simslice as well but I can't remember. The only problem with the projector is that it slides off the lot it's supposed to generate on and onto the next one, which is as you can imagine, a royal pain. I suppose if there were a way to get the sphere to project something inside the lot the animation files would be too big and crash the game, much like with Wes's problem with the scattered mouse-click area. Still, it's a neat idea.
Throwing it out there:
-Planetarium
-Fishbowl (everyone loves aquariums!)
-Snowglobe
-Revolving hologram (think of the 1st Myst game if you played it, Atrus's glowing pop-pot)
-Trapped butterflies (yeah, I'm a girl, and I think torturing butterflies in a glass jar is fun)
Wet Biodome ecosystem.
Bottled Simcity
Can't think of anything else. Any suggestions?
Thanks to Pixlehate BTW. I'm running on a Mac so no crashie smashie for me and the sphere fills all my post call-center sadism needs. <3 Much love. xox
Field Researcher
#83 Old 26th Apr 2009 at 4:17 AM
So who won? I really like a lot of Eyravianna's ideas. I hope to seem more entries if this is still going.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#84 Old 1st May 2009 at 1:33 AM
Personal experience suggests that whenever people think that there will be no more entries in the contest, someone creates something amazing However, there is no winner, because the contest is (and probably will always be) open -

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 2nd Jan 2010 at 7:26 PM
Maybe shrink down the size of it, and make it a table lamp? I was also thinking of trying to make it use the animations for the gypsy woman's globe. Along with the invisible recolor from pixelhate, that would be kind of cool: a floating glowing crystal ball!

I think this thing is pretty cool Maybe I will play with it after the other projects I have going, if someone else doesn't do it first. I love a lot of the other ideas that are still not implemented, too, like a fishbowl or terrarium for frogs.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#86 Old 30th Jan 2013 at 1:47 AM
do the spheres do anything or are they just objects
Page 4 of 4