Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 10:03 PM
I would imagine TSR will make a tool to make cc.
I might like to try.

But, if the game is useless for machinima, I might just go invest my time in Poser.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#27 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 10:38 PM
I want Inge to mod for the Sims 4.
Scholar
#28 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 11:30 PM
Will Pescado move to TS4? I havnt been on MATY in forever. let me go over and see if they are talking about this.
Instructor
#29 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 11:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tzigone
I don't want male pregnancy - at least not available by default, because it's not possible. And yet it doesn't bother me when it's aliens...go figure. Maybe if it was associated with a trip to the science laboratory...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the same. I know it's meant to be goofy and unrealistic but I always found male pregnancy creepy. The modders can do what they like but keep it away from my game :P
Mad Poster
#30 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 12:34 AM
This is one of those discussions where I just sit in the back and watch the grownups talk; don't understand what they're saying, but it's comforting to listen.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Field Researcher
#31 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 7:16 AM
Putting the Word Out There...
Quote: Originally posted by Night Racer
Will Pescado move to TS4? I havnt been on MATY in forever. let me go over and see if they are talking about this.

Well, Pescado MIGHT be around for TS4, but it would help encourage him if you SUPPORT THE MUNICIPALITY!

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...9.msg602158#new

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/support.php

Quote from the MATY thread "Sims 4 L&P" (To view this directly, you must login to MATY)

J.M. Pecado: "Will there be a MATY in TS4? Will Stupidlilley's face still be STUPID? Discuss. SUPPORT THE MUNICIPALITY!"

virgali: "So what's the plan if you guys don't meet your goal?"

Jeebus: "MATY and associated sites also run on the MATYserver shut down."

Seriously folks, there is less than a week to go and funding is still at about 20%.
I like Pescado. He knows his stuff. Simply put, if there's even the smallest chance that he'll just glance at TS4, then I want his site to survive so that he's on board to do so.

We don't know what fresh horrors await us in TS4. We need all the great modders that we can get.

The Possibilities are Endless

-----------------------
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#32 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 7:42 AM
I'd just like to point out that Pescado modding for TS4 does not depend on his site being funded to the extent it is. I could host his Awesomemod easy enough and so could most pocket-money-price site owners. I mean donate if you want, but I don't want people to feel pressurised into doing so by mistakenly thinking it's necessary in order to make Pescado's modding possible.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#33 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 7:53 AM Last edited by Mouse : 22nd Aug 2013 at 8:07 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I'd just like to point out that Pescado modding for TS4 does not depend on his site being funded to the extent it is. I could host his Awesomemod easy enough and so could most pocket-money-price site owners. I mean donate if you want, but I don't want people to feel pressurised into doing so by mistakenly thinking it's necessary in order to make Pescado's modding possible.

You're quite right, Inge. I just felt such a spark of frustration and panic when I read that ONCE AGAIN he's behind on funding. Damn it. How many times has he been told to get a banner or a countdown timer or something of a larger font size to draw attention to the fact that it's site-funding time again?

-----------------------
Original Poster
#34 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 8:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mouse
You're quite right, Inge. I just felt such a spark of frustration and panic when I read that ONCE AGAIN he's behind on funding. Damn it. How many times has he been told to get a banner or a countdown timer or something of a larger font size to draw attention to the fact that it's site-funding time again?

Also remember the funds also support other sites on the same hosting system, the activities of many of which some people may not like, and also most of MATY activity itself is not even related to sims modding or simming at all. So I would say over 90% of anything anyone donates there is nothing to do Pescado's modding or associated support activities.

I have every respect and affection for Pescado, but people do need to weigh up the benefits and necessity before deciding what causes to give to.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#35 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 8:12 AM
Also remember the funds also support other sites on the same hosting system, the activities of many of which some people may not like, and also most of MATY activity itself is not even related to sims modding or simming at all. So I would say over 90% of anything anyone donates there is nothing to do Pescado's modding or associated support activities.

I have every respect and affection for Pescado, but people do need to weigh up the benefits and necessity before deciding what causes to give to.

Oooh. You have a very good point there. I confess I was thinking primarily about The SimsCave, but the wheels of my brain are now spinning properly, so I know exactly as to what you are referring to.

Edit for clarity: It was due to this discussion: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...5&goto=lastpost that added to my resolve to post about MATY's funding woes.

-----------------------
Field Researcher
#36 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 8:24 AM
Regarding EA not appreciating modders: I agree, however, Graham acknowledged the importance of Twallan and his creations once here: :

Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruGraham
...It's funny how you mentioned showing some of the team there things that were accomplished through mods. To be honest, a number of the engineers here at Redwood Shores are quite impressed with Twallan and how well he understands our code base. They've expressed an interest in meeting him, and I'd be happy if I could get those at EA who handle such things to approve it someday. Even when we bring fans to Redwood Shores, to the best of my knowledge we've never taken them into the actual studio proper where we create the game, and I think it'd be a great experience... I hope we can do more things like this in the future. I have all sorts of fun ideas that I'd like to see us try as experimental development that was completely transparent and involved heavy fan feedback someday.
Field Researcher
#37 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 8:32 AM Last edited by Mouse : 22nd Aug 2013 at 8:51 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by clay4kelly
Regarding EA not appreciating modders: I agree, however, Graham acknowledged the importance of Twallan and his creations once here: :

Hmm... I was reading a while back (I think it was an article on Rock, Paper, Shotgun) about two/three former EA employees (at least one of whom worked on the "new" SimCity) who took off for the hills and started their own independent game company. I believe it said that their first project was going to be a simulation. Sometimes I wonder if some of the current "Sims Team" will go that route. I wouldn't blame 'em if they did.

Edit: I could almost swear I read about it on RPS, but no matter--I have found it on IGN:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07...to-found-studio

For those curious, the former employees were Ocean Quigley, Andrew Willmott and Dan Moskowitz. The company is called Jellygrade. Ah, that explains why I have a strange craving for toast.

-----------------------
Instructor
#38 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 9:24 AM
For some people, it's a matter of survival. For example, TSR would not survive without tools. I think that fundamental reality underlies the TSR Workshop. Either they develop general modding tools or they go out of business.

The same is even true for this site. Without modding tools, a big chunk of Mod the Sims goes away.

Then there are the individuals who do their own modding. Many of them are hobbyists. But they are few and far between. At some point it becomes less of a hobby, and more of a job. As other have noted, updating mods every time EA fiddles with the code is a rather tiresome and unrewarding endeavor.

Add to that the game has a life span of about five years, at which point all of the experimentation and work which goes into tool development is effectively flushed down the toilet. Modders are forced to start over again from scratch. At some point, sites like this one and TSR have to decide whether it is better to develop the tools that EA seems to have no interest in making, or simply go out of buisness. Ultimately, the Sims players and advertisers will make this decision for these sites.

It is fairly obvious to me that EA would rather see the modding community go away. We can see this in the continuing war against custom content which one finds on the official forums. Ultimately, EA would rather see players buy everything from the store. The problem is, EA does not produce enough content, in both quantiy and quality, to sustain the demand. Putting out and EP every four months, and poor store items every month simply is not going to cut it. Players want a LOT more, and if EA does not provide it, people will move to a game which does.
Original Poster
#39 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 9:31 AM
I have a feeling TSR created Workshop because they were worried at gossip that community toolmakers were planning to put in licence terms that forbade creating pay content. And it was just the luck of who led the project - Peter for example while not empathising with pay content also doesn't approve of restrictive terms! Other potential toolmakers however had been wondering whether to set these terms. Prior to TS3, TSR creators used the same tools the rest of us did, that were developed by the general community. I have no idea of TSR's plans this time around.

Mad Poster
#40 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 9:37 AM
I wish EA would make tools for the community that is user friendly and even out who owns what and what the community can do with it. Looking at past tools released by EA makes me wonder if they know how to create something user friendly and actually work on the bugs.

I will miss you, love you always!

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#41 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 3:37 PM
The atmosphere in a large section of the fan community around the time of the release of TS3 and Workshop was VERY anti-pay. And I think, to be fair, with good reason, at least regarding TSR.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
#42 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CRV13
The current "Gameplay" trailer hasn't even sold me yet. And if the game can not be modded or if Twallan can not mod it then that would be a definite no sell for me.

Why haven't you hired Twallan yet EA~!? WHY~!?

And to think he is currently one of the greatest persons who has teh skillz to fix all of your bungling EA/axis :P

Spot-on!

If EA were smart, Twallan would have a job with them. And as rich as they are off sales of Sims 2 and Sims 3, they're not gonna convince me that hidden provisions in Obamacare are an adequate excuse to not hire Twallan.

I can understand them locking me out for that reason, as all I can do is make Sims 2 Body Shop repaints and use Photoshop to propose potential future CC and lighting tweaks.

That, and I have no intention of living in San Fran. The locals would witchhunt and demonize me to the brink of me having to face angry mobs on the way to work every day. Nothing I say would be safe from being twisted as an "attack" on them *somehow* - resulting in actual physical attacks on me as "retaliation." If EA wants to live in that hellhole, fine. I refuse to. I'll stick to towns where I still have free speech - without fear of flying beer bottles, surprise termination at work for something unrelated to work, trumped-up charges, or sudden attacks on my credit score. A place where I don't have to fear illegal recordings of my private conversations like what is being done to Elisa Chan in San Antonio.

But I digress. With Twallan, EA has no good excuses left. He has the golden fingers of a Sims programming wizard that EA could only be so lucky as to get its hands on. And I doubt he'd be an ideological liability.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#43 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 10:30 PM
I have a feeling TSR created Workshop because they were worried at gossip that community toolmakers were planning to put in licence terms that forbade creating pay content. And it was just the luck of who led the project - Peter for example while not empathising with pay content also doesn't approve of restrictive terms! Other potential toolmakers however had been wondering whether to set these terms. Prior to TS3, TSR creators used the same tools the rest of us did, that were developed by the general community. I have no idea of TSR's plans this time around.

In fact, the CTU licence does include a no pay term.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Top Secret Researcher
#44 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CormorantEnt
If EA were smart, Twallan would have a job with them. And as rich as they are off sales of Sims 2 and Sims 3, they're not gonna convince me that hidden provisions in Obamacare are an adequate excuse to not hire Twallan.

I already have a high-paying cushy job in a country with socialized medical care.

Would go work at Safeway bagging groceries, before I would work for EA.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 11:42 PM
Twallan, once you are a great modder for the sims, what are your first impressions of Sims 4?
Eminence Grise
#46 Old 23rd Aug 2013 at 1:58 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 23rd Aug 2013 at 2:08 AM.
I think there will be tools for TS4. Just as Inge and Peter and Twallan stepped into the vacuum for TS3, somebody else will step in if they step down. Nature and videogames abhor a vacuum.

Or, to use another metaphor, many of the TS2 advanced modders and tool makers were reaped by the sickle of TS3, but where the grass was cut down new life sprang into being

Which is not to suggest that any of our current giants are REPLACEABLE... of course not! Whoever we get will be different, but somebody will be there.

I could host his Awesomemod easy enough and so could most pocket-money-price site owners.

Hah, but how many sites want to deal with the potential legal problems engendered by the full range of his activities?
Instructor
#47 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 9:15 PM
Twallan, I was sure that you wouldn't work for EA, and I applaud you. I am with everyone here that I would not play the Sims games without the wonderful modders.

I am not in a hurry to jump on board the Sims 4 train yet either. Frankly, the sims, clothing and hair all look plastic and it looks like a cheap game one would play for free on line. I am not impressed by the trailer and game play demo. It all looks plastic and cheap and I am not willing to pay full price for something that looks so badly in a game. With Sims 3 I have custom skin tones that make the sims look more real, but how do you change the clothing that has to stretch with the bodies in Sims 4? In order for it to stretch, I guess they think it has to look like plastic. These sims are absolutely hideous.

Yet, due to the fact I am a Sims addict, I will probably get it, several years down the road when it has a cheap price to match what it looks like.

So I can understand modders not going forward with the game. It was more difficult to mod TS3, so many other modders didn't get on board. As others have said, I think other people will be doing the work, and it all depends on the game code. Even in TS2, I had started working on a new "Want Trees" for my game. I have a bit of programming background, so it's pretty easy to figure things out, so it would all depend on how easy/difficult TS4 will be to mod. Unfortunately, there are people like me who have real lives that are so full that there is very little Sims time anymore anyway.

With so many modders not going forward with TS4, it has made me even less likely to purchase the game until a modding community has been established for it. I can completely understand Inge saying she's had so little time to even play TS3. Just with real life getting in the way and trying to keep mods up with how fast the updates come out, then to make sure that all the mods work together in the game still after the update. . .for crying out loud, with Sims 3, I've spent months just testing to make sure everything is safe for my "real" game, and then another update comes out and I have to start all over again. . .I will be happy after the last EP/update is done for Sims 3 and I can actually, maybe enjoy my game.

Is it not better to be counted among the strange rather than the incurably stupid? ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
One Minute Ninja'd
#48 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 10:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by twallan
I already have a high-paying cushy job in a country with socialized medical care.

Yeah, but it gets really, really cold where you live, and lots of snow. And floods. Don't forget the floods.

Then again, you don't get earthquakes, so if you're a skier, I guess cold and snowy would work for you.
Eminence Grise
#49 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 11:38 PM
Actually, EA has studios in Canada, but that might not work for the Sims
Original Poster
#50 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 8:23 AM
I am sure they *had* many talented developers like Twallan and quickly stomped on them with their producers' visions of the perfect game, and then stomped with their other foot of deadlines and budget.

Page 2 of 3