Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#176 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 2:03 AM
It was the stair placement. You had them coming up under a wall. When I randomly moved them into the center of the room, it zoned up just fine.

You are probably going to have to tweak your downstairs layout to find a permanent spot for them.

Nice walls. May I keep them as a memento?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#177 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 6:29 PM Last edited by Sugah Sim : 10th Sep 2009 at 9:32 PM.
Thank you, Bubba. I will play with the placement of the stairs.
I had no idea they were coming up under a wall. Awesome!

You most certainly may use any of the walls you see in my duplex. They are all mine, if I remember correctly.

If you are ever in need for any to adorn your beautiful lots, please feel free to snatch up as many as you'd like at Sugah's Place here.
All I ask is a little credit and a link back.

Thank you, again, for your help.

Added @ 2:00pm cst on Thursday 9.10.09 -

It worked! Once I moved the stairs to a more centrally located position, away from the wall, the residence converted easily to an apartment duplex.

However, a NEW problem has arisen ... no apartment mailbox!
I have only two hacks in my game, so I took them both out, converted the duplex to residential, went out, then back in and converted to apartmentbase, but STILL no apt mailbox.

Can someone advise me, please? Thanks!

Sugah's Place
... Providing quality Sims 2 downloads in a fun, friendly forum setting ...
Specializing in gorgeous Sim models, CC recolors, custom walls, prime real estate, original challenges & more!
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#178 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 4:01 AM
Sugah, did you ever get this figured out? It seems the stairs themselves aren't the problem- although they should be moved. It looks like the upstairs of both sides are the problem.
If you'll notice, in Bubbajoe's screenshot, the residential mailbox is still there. The apartment icon IS over the duplex, but the apartment mailbox is NOT there. This can happen- and what would happen if you tried to move a sim in, there wouldn't be any apartments for rent..the whole place would be for sale.
I downloaded the lot and removed the stairs completely. The lot zoned to apartmentbase just fine- the apartment mailbox was there. It looks like the game might be thinking that the 2 sloped areas aren't separate spaces.
If you want to keep those sloped roofs, you'll most likely have to move one whole apartment over one tile- to leave a 2 tile space between the 2 sides. You could keep the sloped roofs, but they wouldn't be joined anymore.
If you don't mind losing the sloped roofs, you could remodel the upstairs rooms- widening them to cover that 2 tile gap. If you did that, you'd also have to widen your balconies to cover the areas the slopes cover front and back..and put a regular roof over each upstairs room.

I hope this doesn't confuse you- if it does, let me know and I can try to explain better.
Field Researcher
#179 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 4:32 PM
mlc, thank you, again, for getting back with me on this.
By now, you know how the problem was resolved. I want you to know how much I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my query.

I have so much to learn about building apartments/multi-dwelling units.
You are a gem for offering some assistance in my time of need.

Sugah's Place
Specializing in gorgeous Sim models, CC recolors, custom walls, prime real estate, original challenges & more!
Instructor
#180 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 8:48 PM
mustluvcatz, the residential mailbox was showing in my pic because I was too lazy to re-enter the lot. I just zoned and took the pic and went to bed. Sugah, sorry to hear you had more trouble. How was it resolved? I'm endlessly fascinated with the minutia of apt. building and always like a new problem for my collection.
Field Researcher
#181 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 3:27 PM
Hey, Bubba. Sorry to be so long in getting back here.

I can see that apartment building is going to be a series of hits and misses as I go along. I've decided to start taking notes ... jotting down things I learn and advice that seasoned builders pass along to me.

Because I am having a lazy morning, forgive me if I do not write out the complete response to your query. The full explanation is here, in my posts dated 9.10.09, fyi.

Basically, during the course of downloading others' lots, I had inadvertently picked up one of those dang replacement mailboxes.
When I deleted it from my game, it ended up deleting ALL mailboxes, so I just decided to uninstall and reinstall AL.
That seems to have fixed it, though now I am wary of downloading lots going forward.

Thanks for asking! Oh, and I recently added a mega pack of siding and siding brick combination walls here, if you're interested!

Sugah's Place
Instructor
#182 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 10:49 PM
Those hacked mailboxes are one of my pet peeves. Whenever I can, I get up on my soapbox and preach against them since I also learned the hard way. I got so I can recognize the files just from the texture previews. Always go through your CI screen with a fine-toothed comb. Glad to here you got it fixed.
Field Researcher
#183 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 1:54 AM
I don't blame you for speaking up against them, Bubba.
You can bet I'll be watching what comes through my Sims 2 Clean Installer a lot more closely, going forward.

Thank you!

Sugah's Place
Test Subject
#184 Old 8th Oct 2009 at 3:06 PM Last edited by Mientjie : 8th Oct 2009 at 3:25 PM. Reason: Probs with uploading package
Hello there,

I've read the thread back and forth, trying the solutions suggested, but I still can't switch the darned thing into apartments! It keeps showing the "invalid apartment" error! And of course no apartments in neighborhood view...

It's the first one I'm building...

I had to upload the package on rapidshare, as it's 1,9 MB larger than allowed!
Here's the link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/2902942...l_Apts.rar.html

THANKS in advance, I really need some help here!
Instructor
#185 Old 8th Oct 2009 at 10:37 PM
You have an "illegal" door from one of the units coming out by the video game area.

Don't feel bad, your lot is so big that I didn't see it right away either.
First I deleted the first floor stairs and it zoned so I knew the problem was on an upper level. Then I put the stairs back and deleted the apt. doors one by one until I determined the problem unit. While I was checking the stairs over for proper placement I came upon the door. These steps will help you test your future constructions. As you can see, everything zones fine.

Also the reason your lot file is so big is because it picked up about 50 recolors of Numenor's deck stairs and a garage door hack. I recommend you familiarize yourself with Clean Installer which will allow you to inspect and select your files. Without the extras it is only 4MB.
Test Subject
#186 Old 9th Oct 2009 at 10:32 AM
Aaaaah!!!

Thank you soooo much, aah the door.... At first I had entrances on the floor with the gym and the upper one, but then I found out that there must be only one entrance, and I deleted all but this one apparently, it got away O.o

Thank you sooooo much!!!

And yeah... I should check this Clean Installer better!!!!

Thanks man I appreciate it!! Good up the great work here! I'll check in once in a while!

*BIG SMILE*
Test Subject
#187 Old 9th Oct 2009 at 12:05 PM
Oh... I deleted the door but still invalid... do I have to change the stair placement as well? Or is the custom content the problem?

Sniff sniff
Test Subject
#188 Old 9th Oct 2009 at 12:42 PM
THE GARAGE DOORS!

I changed the garage doors and it ZONED!

Woohoo!!!

It wouldn't be complete without your help though bubba, THANKS!!!!!

sooo much :D
Instructor
#189 Old 9th Oct 2009 at 9:56 PM
I didn't have to change the garage doors, but I forgot I got rid of whatever file that was you had that was overriding them. Congratulations!
Test Subject
#190 Old 13th Oct 2009 at 7:19 PM
i need ur help please..
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...ng_an_Apartment

Basic instructions are there. If you have further questions, tips, info, or anything related to building an apartment, please post here. The tutorial will be updated based on information posted here.

Other previous threads with apartment-building info include:

http://forums.sims2community.com/showthread.php?t=61116
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=299120
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=299233

hi.. I'm building a large condominium.. and I was building a lot walls.. suddenly I could not to do this .. if I destroy three builded walls , I can do just three walls more.. what can i do?
HELP
Mad Poster
#191 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 1:22 PM
I am having a problem converting a lot into apartments. I hope someone can help.

The lot is a large building on a foundation. It has modular stairs going up to the foundation, two external doors into the communal area (at the front and back of the building) and then inside has a communal corridor with stairs, over 3 floors. Each apartment leads off this communal corridor using an apartment door, facing the correct way, each apartment is single-storey and there are no other doors out of the apartments. There are 6 apartments in total. I have used some short dividing fences but these are in a communal area.

When I converted this it appeared fine, in neighborhood view it said "6 units priced from 850-1100" so I moved my test sim in, I clicked on the door and had 3 options, "Rent this apartment - $4689 and 845 per week" "Rent this apartment - $8236 and 845 per week" or "Check out apartment". I assumed the second option means rent furnished, and the furniture did appear when I clicked it. I did not get an option to rent furnished by shift-clicking.

When he moved in I got an error message about the Apartment Controller, "Object referred to must be a person". Reset and cancel threw the error again so I had to click Delete. I then kept getting popups saying "You still need to claim an apartment" or somesuch, but when I clicked on his apartment door I only had the option to "Lock...". His furniture is behaving oddly too. I can get him to use most things but from the fridge, he could only "Make single plate/group meal", not "Have lunch/breakfast/etc".

Anyway I saved and exited to the neighborhood, and tried moving another family in to see if it would recognise him being moved in. I moved in a family with 2 adults and 1 child. It recognised that the original test sim was in one apartment, I could not check that one out or rent it. I got the man to check out a different apartment but he got stuck, I tried to cancel the action and he threw an error. I "deleted" the error and he disappeared, so it must have been him that threw the error. I got the woman to walk upstairs and rent another apartment. This time I chose the smaller deposit to see if it would be unfurnished. It threw the apartment controller error again. Then, the apartment was unfurnished, but when I tried to buy furniture, the furniture does not appear (I am holding an invisible item with just the red/green placement squares) and all the placement squares were red indicating I could not place them there.

I have got the latest patch and all the hacks I have are compatible with AL, though there could be some conflicts. Would it help if I post error logs and/or screenshots? My Sims 2 game is on a different computer so it's easier if I know what I need to post.

Thanks in advance
Instructor
#192 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 3:43 PM
Simsfreq,
You have to enter boolprop testingcheatsenabled true in your cheat box in order to rent furnished so I don't know why you are getting that second option. Your pricing seems all out of whack. If you don't already have a copy, move everybody out, copy the lot to a file, backup everything, remove your CC, reinstall the lot with just the CC you need to run it and put it in a new test hood to see if that makes a difference.

Also, did you use the apartment door from the game or a custom door? It sounds like your units are still being treated as common areas even though you got some garbled rent options.

Mirko22,
Please post a more detailed step-by-step description of your problem, with some pictures.
Mad Poster
#193 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 4:51 PM
Hello, sorry, I posted way too soon there. I ran the HCDU and had loads of conflicts, so I obviously hadn't checked everything out properly. That will teach me to post a problem without even playing the EP properly first.

Why does the pricing sound wrong? I have now removed the conflicting hacks and moved a family into an EAxis apartment in Belladonna Cove, which seems to work fine - but I still get the two options to move in, one with a large deposit and one with a smaller deposit, which seems to be the option of furnished or unfurnished. I still don't get the option to "Rent Furnished" by shift-clicking.

I am about to try again with making my own but I think I was probably being stupid, so don't worry about it
Mad Poster
#194 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 4:53 PM
Oh - I think I see what you mean, it looks as though I was typing that the lot cost -4678 (or whatever it was) - it wasn't supposed to be a minus symbol, just a punctuation mark (I was paraphrasing). Sorry for the confusion.
Instructor
#195 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 5:36 PM
I have a feeling something else is going on with your game. In a hack-free game you should only have two interactions with the door, check out apartment and rent for $. The price should fall within the range shown in the hood view. There's no deposit. Do you start up your game with cheats already on? Sounds like you've begun a testing program so good luck.
Test Subject
#196 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 6:09 PM
Default What's wrong with this apartment?
To be honest, I'm tired of having to do the trial and error method to figure out whats wrong with my apartments so i'm just going to let someone who knows what they're doing figure it out
So there are three seperate houses, they have a garage on each. The apartment door is on the second floor; all houses have a fenced off back and front yard, you access them with a back door only leading from the house. on the first floors are the garages, second are the front doors (modular stairs lead up to them from outside), and a third floor. two of the apartments work, the one on the far left doesn't (by the way the apartments don't touch each other) that has a closed of balcony on the third floor.
the lot isn't on even ground because something happened when i placed it a certain way in the neighborhood; so i thought if someone had the hack to change lot size if you could do that than maybe that would help.
otherwise just give me some suggestions, please!!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  dadasda_1.zip (1.24 MB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Description: here is the apartment
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#197 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 7:38 PM
Could you post some pics please? I know you have the house attached as a download but pics would help- interior pics.

In the meantime, a couple of obvious things would be: What garage doors did you use? The only one that I know to work is the one that came with AL. (Although bubbajoe did mention something about a file over-riding someone else's garage doors.) Are you sure you have apartment doors on each apartment? Did you try getting rid of the balcony on the 3rd one? Did you use any of the edge dividers anywhere? Those will cause an apartment to not work properly. What did you do differently with the 3rd one? It seems kind of strange that the other 2 would work.
Test Subject
#198 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 4:04 PM
so differences in houses:
-the windows
-there is an extra room on the garage floor, the other ones just have stairs ging straight from the garage to the 2nd floor
-the balcony on the 3rd floor
-some of the fencing

the garage doors are the same, the apartment doors are the same, i didn't use those floor dividers if that is what you are refering to by "edge dividers".

when i used a sim to test out the lot, the 3rd house was like a community area and not an apartment.
whenever i save and quit it doesn't tell me that one of my apartments is messed up or whatever, it just doesn't read it as an apartment.
also, the weird water thing at the corner of the lot appeared when i placed the lot on the opposite side of the road to another lot in neighborhood view.
what's that cheat that you use to change the floor elevation any way you want it? so that i can try to level out the lot corners.
Screenshots
Attached Images

Test Subject
#199 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 9:36 PM
Default Problem Solved
So i solved the problem by taking out the balcony and by adding fencing and gate between the front and back yards like i did for the middle apartment. Not sure which one made it work, but it does, so i'm happy. thanks for the help.
Test Subject
#200 Old 5th Mar 2010 at 4:00 PM
Just one quick question, I was working on making an apartment bigger, more floors, and more room. In doing so I added elevators to each apartment, (it's a duplex) so the sims could use the elevators to get to the separate floors in their own apartment. When I tried to convert the lot from residential to apartment I kept getting errors. Would that be because of the elevators, or should I be doing something else to troubleshoot?

I also used the setHighestAllowedLevel cheat to move from 4 stories to 5. Is that also a problem?
Page 8 of 11