Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th May 2017 at 6:33 AM
How do I stop sims from spawning in my neighborhood?
How do I make them stop filling up the houses?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 11th May 2017 at 8:17 AM
In game options under 'gameplay' there is a 'fill empty homes' tick box.
Test Subject
#3 Old 17th May 2017 at 6:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by drake_mccarty
In game options under 'gameplay' there is a 'fill empty homes' tick box.

You can keep them from filling the houses with this option but you can't keep them from showing up. Every load screen will dump several new townies into your game. If this bothers you, I'd make a habit of culling the new ones every time you start your game. Depending on whether or not your sims work or go to school or visit many community lots requiring NPCs, I'd keep a handful in the unplayed household bin to fill those roles.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 17th May 2017 at 5:49 PM
You can't, really (you can untick "fill empty homes" so that it stops doing that, but you can't just stop sims spawning). Unless there's a mod that controls that. If so, I'd say...go find that mod, lol.

At the start of every game -- every time I load the game -- I go into Manage Households and click "unplayed" and I delete every Household that I don't want in my game. I do this every time I play. That's pretty much the only thing I've found that works, though it is sometimes overridden when you load a community lot and the game spawns additional sims to fill roles (though lately, I've found the game is just using the sims that are in the "bucket" rather than making more of them).
Field Researcher
#5 Old 18th May 2017 at 12:17 AM
I think MC Command Center has the ability to set the population for each age to spawn in your lot. But, I never tried it
Test Subject
#6 Old 18th May 2017 at 1:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kompaktive
I think MC Command Center has the ability to set the population for each age to spawn in your lot. But, I never tried it

With MC Command, there's an option to set how many townies get created by the game but there's a disclaimer: It can't stop the game from spawning townies it considers 'necessary'. Which seems kinda arbitrary right now. I have my MCC set to spawn -1 townies (so absolutely no more than absolutely positively necessary) and the game still dumps between 5 to 9 townies into my world with every loading screen
Field Researcher
#7 Old 18th May 2017 at 5:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kdevereaux
With MC Command, there's an option to set how many townies get created by the game but there's a disclaimer: It can't stop the game from spawning townies it considers 'necessary'. Which seems kinda arbitrary right now. I have my MCC set to spawn -1 townies (so absolutely no more than absolutely positively necessary) and the game still dumps between 5 to 9 townies into my world with every loading screen

I'm pretty sure there will be no limit (infinity npc generate) if you set to -1. However you can't set it to 0, which means there should be at least 1 towny.
So, sorry about that.
Scholar
#8 Old 18th May 2017 at 7:53 AM
Big problem the faster you keep deleting them, the faster it creates more.

What I have learned it to take take a label those homeless sims in family description who they are such as Nanny, Landlord, etc

But for some reason many lots require bartenders, i have no idea why it's create new ones and not use the existing ones, but then if you got like 5 library's in your game, the game won't just generate 1 librarian for all libraries, it will generate 5 for each library.

If you have a lot of restaurants in your worlds, expect a flood of single sim homeless households everytime.
Test Subject
#9 Old 18th May 2017 at 11:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kompaktive
I'm pretty sure there will be no limit (infinity npc generate) if you set to -1. However you can't set it to 0, which means there should be at least 1 towny.
So, sorry about that.

Really?! I hadn't realized that. I just assumed that since I couldn't choose zero, that choosing a negative number would make it really clear to the game that I don't want any townies Thank you for the heads up.

ps, Looking at that, it could come off as sarcastic so I wanted to clarify that I'm genuinely thanking you :lovestruc
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 18th May 2017 at 8:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim

Interesting. I haven't found that to be the case. But, then again, I only delete once a day.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 18th May 2017 at 9:15 PM
I am totally curious as I don't pay much attention to townies. I have nuked a few households in the past, but that is it. Are you doing this to match a particular theme for the town? To have a town pretty much just of created sims? More control?
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 18th May 2017 at 10:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I am totally curious as I don't pay much attention to townies. I have nuked a few households in the past, but that is it. Are you doing this to match a particular theme for the town? To have a town pretty much just of created sims? More control?

Personally, I do it to have more control over my towns. I also do it for specific gameplay. For example, I have one save where Newcrest is an Amazon Nation -- so I delete all the maxis/ea-made male/men sims. Etc. I sometimes delete all the maxis/ea-created sims and fill the town in with sims I create, move them into homes and then go back to manage households and uncheck "played". Again, just to have more control over my towns.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 18th May 2017 at 11:32 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me and a fun way to play.
Test Subject
#14 Old 19th May 2017 at 2:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee

For me, I'm usually playing theme worlds or working on some story where townies just get in the way. Like, right now I'm playing the Test of Time Challenge where townies are completely unwanted so their presence is far more of a nuisance than it would be usually.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 19th May 2017 at 1:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kdevereaux
For me, I'm usually playing theme worlds or working on some story where townies just get in the way. Like, right now I'm playing the Test of Time Challenge where townies are completely unwanted so their presence is far more of a nuisance than it would be usually.

I like to pretend each town is a either real world town or something like that (invented too if in fantasy world)>
So if real or modern, I make Windenburg into Vienna or Salzburg.
Willow Creek is some marsh city.
Oasis can be a dry place, like Vegas.
San Myshuno can be tokyo, or chicago or ny, etc
Then I follow the architecture of each so they are unique.
Test Subject
#16 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 5:11 PM
Default I have this problem too!
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim

What I have learned it to take take a label those homeless sims in family description who they are such as Nanny, Landlord, etc

But for some reason many lots require bartenders, i have no idea why it's create new ones and not use the existing ones, but then if you got like 5 library's in your game, the game won't just generate 1 librarian for all libraries, it will generate 5 for each library.

If you have a lot of restaurants in your worlds, expect a flood of single sim homeless households everytime.

I have this problem as well. It happens with the Stars. The Sims generates all the (5 star) weird stars. I don't want them in my game, so I delete them. The game just instantly regenerates another to take it's place. This is so frustrating. They generate too many and they are all weird looking. They look homeless and don't fit the part. I wish they would allow us to turn this off. I have it set/checked to opt out of fame. To not fill empty homes, and I Delete unplayed households upon signing in.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LaurellKH
How do I make them stop filling up the houses?

Apart from the other suggestions in this thread, also try SSO, by Lotharihoe.
https://lotharihoe.tumblr.com/post/...ad-google-drive
Instructor
#18 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 7:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Eehna
Apart from the other suggestions in this thread, also try SSO, by Lotharihoe.
https://lotharihoe.tumblr.com/post/...ad-google-drive

The only way I've found to do it other than taking away Maxis' option to move Sims into empty houses, is to make your limit of Sims in CAS that you are allowed past your total and stick them in houses with the "move family in option" via a family already in that neighbourhood, leaving some unhoused in order to become the waiters and shop staff. You'll then get mostly your own Sims walking around. The families moved in don't pay for the house so still have their $20,000 too.

I've found it gradually gets better the longer you play and more houses full of your own Sims.
Test Subject
#19 Old 23rd Nov 2021 at 9:55 PM
To a certain extent, you're always going to end up with a bunch of townies. I highly recommend using MCCC to help cut down on some of the annoyances, though. You can set your limit to five or so townies so that the game is primarily just generating what it considers to be "necessary" townies. I also use MCCC to just delete annoying townies on the spot if they wander onto a lot where I don't want them. It's extremely helpful for people who like to micromanage