Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Sep 2020 at 12:19 PM
Default My Mod Idea: "Hunting in The Ancient Times"
Hi there!

(Warning for long text!)
I´m trying to be as clear as possible here, just ask if you´re unsure of something.
As some of you may know, some year ago I was trying to make it through Stoneage to Modern Times in The Sims 3.
My plan was to make a hunting mod, and I think I´m getting more ideas on this.
This is just my ideas and if you don´t like the idea to hunt animals I recommend for you to not read this, it´s not with blood and violence or something but I´m just warning you anyways.

It´s a social interaction and to be able to do this your sim needs to own atleast one dog to hunt with your sim.
Then your are going to ask some teen-adult sim to hunt with you and your dog(s).
(The dog is gonna help you to sniff to the path where the wildhorses are, similar to when the dog is sniffing for gems in The Sims 3 Pets)

The interaction will fail if: Full Hunger Bar, Low Energy Bar and Low Bladder Bar (Have not decided how much yet) and Low friendship or Enemies.
And it will be harder with these traits: Animal Lover, Equestrian, Coward, Neurotic, Dramatic, Insane, Couch Potato, Diva, Grumpy, Inappropriate, Loner, Loser, Social Awkward and Good.

The Interaction will succedd if: Low Hunger Bar and High Friendship.
And it will be easier with these traits: Brave, Daredeveil, Evil, Mean, Friendly, Athletic, Adventurous, Dog Person, Family-Oriented and Loves the Outdoors.

If the sim your sim are asking is an enemy, you need to prepare for a fight!
If the losing sim are Unlucky or Clumsy they might lose their all the things in their inventory.
Even more serious if the losing sim is exhausted or starving, the Grim Reaper will get the sim.

This mod is also based on the photography skill.
You will get a bow and arrow in your inventory to "aim" (like the camera) on the target.
If you get a "good" quality shoot on the wildhorse, you will get 8 meat pieces in your inventory.
You will get some pop-up saying that you succeded and short after, Grim Reaper will arrive to take the horse.
If you get a "bad" quality shoot on the wildhorse, you will fail and it will get harder to get some "good" shoot on the same horse next time.
You will get some pop-up saying that you failed.

You even get a positive or negative moodlet.

It´s also possible to train in this skill, with simply throw some darts on a tree on your homelot.
(It works like the dartboard from Late Night Expansion Pack)

My question is: how hard is this to do? Do I need to know C-code to do this?

Thank you in advanced! (And also sorry for long text or confusion)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 1st Sep 2020 at 1:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kagamine Rin
Hi there!

(Warning for long text!)
I´m trying to be as clear as possible here, just ask if you´re unsure of something.
As some of you may know, some year ago I was trying to make it through Stoneage to Modern Times in The Sims 3.
My plan was to make a hunting mod, and I think I´m getting more ideas on this.
This is just my ideas and if you don´t like the idea to hunt animals I recommend for you to not read this, it´s not with blood and violence or something but I´m just warning you anyways.

It´s a social interaction and to be able to do this your sim needs to own atleast one dog to hunt with your sim.
Then your are going to ask some teen-adult sim to hunt with you and your dog(s).
(The dog is gonna help you to sniff to the path where the wildhorses are, similar to when the dog is sniffing for gems in The Sims 3 Pets)

The interaction will fail if: Full Hunger Bar, Low Energy Bar and Low Bladder Bar (Have not decided how much yet) and Low friendship or Enemies.
And it will be harder with these traits: Animal Lover, Equestrian, Coward, Neurotic, Dramatic, Insane, Couch Potato, Diva, Grumpy, Inappropriate, Loner, Loser, Social Awkward and Good.

The Interaction will succedd if: Low Hunger Bar and High Friendship.
And it will be easier with these traits: Brave, Daredeveil, Evil, Mean, Friendly, Athletic, Adventurous, Dog Person, Family-Oriented and Loves the Outdoors.

If the sim your sim are asking is an enemy, you need to prepare for a fight!
If the losing sim are Unlucky or Clumsy they might lose their all the things in their inventory.
Even more serious if the losing sim is exhausted or starving, the Grim Reaper will get the sim.

This mod is also based on the photography skill.
You will get a bow and arrow in your inventory to "aim" (like the camera) on the target.
If you get a "good" quality shoot on the wildhorse, you will get 8 meat pieces in your inventory.
You will get some pop-up saying that you succeded and short after, Grim Reaper will arrive to take the horse.
If you get a "bad" quality shoot on the wildhorse, you will fail and it will get harder to get some "good" shoot on the same horse next time.
You will get some pop-up saying that you failed.

You even get a positive or negative moodlet.

It´s also possible to train in this skill, with simply throw some darts on a tree on your homelot.
(It works like the dartboard from Late Night Expansion Pack)

My question is: how hard is this to do? Do I need to know C-code to do this?

Thank you in advanced! (And also sorry for long text or confusion)

This sounds like a fun idea! Kind of hard, but worth it if you want to try, I think? You would definitely need to use C# to do it, this would be a script mod since you're adding a new functionality instead of tuning an existing one; but the tutorials in the "script" section here will show you how, and learning it is pretty satisfying all on its own. And once you've got a good enough handle on the tutorials to look at other mods, I think desecrate's weapons system (here on MTS) would be a good example to follow for a lot of what you're describing about using the bow and arrow, and Arsil's programming skill (here) for the hunting skill. And of course there are a lot of mods using custom interactions that you could look into; the parts of your idea that I gave examples for are just the ones that seem hardest to me.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2020 at 3:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lizcandor
This sounds like a fun idea! Kind of hard, but worth it if you want to try, I think? You would definitely need to use C# to do it, this would be a script mod since you're adding a new functionality instead of tuning an existing one; but the tutorials in the "script" section here will show you how, and learning it is pretty satisfying all on its own. And once you've got a good enough handle on the tutorials to look at other mods, I think desecrate's weapons system (here on MTS) would be a good example to follow for a lot of what you're describing about using the bow and arrow, and Arsil's programming skill (here) for the hunting skill. And of course there are a lot of mods using custom interactions that you could look into; the parts of your idea that I gave examples for are just the ones that seem hardest to me.
Thank you for clarify that for me, now I know. It´s very helpful!
Scholar
#4 Old 2nd Sep 2020 at 9:11 AM
There's a shooting mod right? You can use that but change it for bow and arrow.

Love this idea.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th Sep 2020 at 11:00 PM
Definitely very interesting, and perfect for historical play (adding onto Ani's woodcutting mod)!

I think the concept could be explored via several routes:

1.) Your sim and your dog go 'hunting' for small animals, who are then picked up and converted to meat in the inventory. This I think should be able to utilize some existing Pets animations and mechanics.
2.) Your sim (and maybe your dog) go hunting for a deer/horse, with a custom killing animation. The animal is then killed and transformed into meat in the inventory. This would be considerably harder to code, but more realistic.
3.) Your sim essentially enter a rabbithole, and then do hunting offscreen. This could be a very rich RPG-like feature, with chance cards and luck rolls, with bonuses added with certain equipment. At the end of the hunt, your sim emerges from the rabbithole with an amount of meat from the hunt.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 9:08 AM
Default I´m glad you like my ideas!
I have zero knowledge of C# code though... But I may be willing to learn it someday!
If I may be able to do something easier what should you recommend for me to start with?
I have been mainly doing clothing (frankenmeshes) for SIms 3 if that´s good to know.
Test Subject
#7 Old 7th Sep 2020 at 5:25 PM
Oh. My. God. Yes. This needs to be created! Though I'm not sure about having multiple sims (plus a dog and a potential game) being involved in this. Routing might become an issue. At least I think it might.

I hope you don't mind me sharing a few ideas of my own here. But I've been recently thinking about creating something similar, though with a simpler approach, without creating a custom skill and just leaving the success rate to depend on the sim's traits and maybe some pre-existing skills, like fitness for example.
Now, my knowledge of coding is as good as yours if not worse, so I'm just making guesses here. I thought about creating a new interaction available on horses, deers, and wild dogs, using the preexisting animation and props from the archery range and maybe creating a few custom ones for the animal's death itself, since the original animations here are... well, quite lacking. There are a few quite good tutorials here on how to add custom social interactions. Like this one for example. I dunno how ethical this is, but looking into some other killing modes code might provide a better understanding of how to actually create something like this.

I also had another idea of how this can be done. Basically, via creating a custom spawner or an animated object, kinda like the cow corral, and a hunting interaction for it. Half of animations we already have in game, other ones should be fairly simple to create. This - in theory - should be easier than getting into the whole complicated and potentially game braking mess with killing actual strays, since, you know, it's just an object that gives (or not, depending on the outcome) your sim some stuff.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Sep 2020 at 6:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IrenDeimos
Oh. My. God. Yes. This needs to be created! Though I'm not sure about having multiple sims (plus a dog and a potential game) being involved in this. Routing might become an issue. At least I think it might.

I hope you don't mind me sharing a few ideas of my own here. But I've been recently thinking about creating something similar, though with a simpler approach, without creating a custom skill and just leaving the success rate to depend on the sim's traits and maybe some pre-existing skills, like fitness for example.
Now, my knowledge of coding is as good as yours if not worse, so I'm just making guesses here. I thought about creating a new interaction available on horses, deers, and wild dogs, using the preexisting animation and props from the archery range and maybe creating a few custom ones for the animal's death itself, since the original animations here are... well, quite lacking. There are a few quite good tutorials here on how to add custom social interactions. Like this one for example. I dunno how ethical this is, but looking into some other killing modes code might provide a better understanding of how to actually create something like this.

I also had another idea of how this can be done. Basically, via creating a custom spawner or an animated object, kinda like the cow corral, and a hunting interaction for it. Half of animations we already have in game, other ones should be fairly simple to create. This - in theory - should be easier than getting into the whole complicated and potentially game braking mess with killing actual strays, since, you know, it's just an object that gives (or not, depending on the outcome) your sim some stuff.
I´m glad you like it! Your ideas sounds nice!