Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Apr 2021 at 5:27 PM Last edited by liogab11 : 13th May 2021 at 9:52 AM. Reason: Solved

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Late Night, Pets, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default [SOLVED] Fresh install; main menu is blank!
This issue has been solved. Read on to see the solution!

I just did a fresh install of TS3 on a new computer. I installed the base game, WA, LN, TLS, and Pets. I am sure that I put it in the 32-bit Program Files, like so:

And I start the game as I have always done: by bypassing the launcher and going straight to the game (TS3W.exe).
It seemingly starts. It minimizes, but I can always click the taskbar button, and it will continue to the cinematics.
The game loads like usual, and then...

Now, clicking on stuff does nothing. Not even the options help.

It also does not seem to generate folders in Documents. No Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 at all.
Sound works fine.
No CTD or anything of the sort.
I haven't even gotten started with CC.

I've tried compatibility mode (Win 7 and WinXP SP3, with admin access), but that just makes TS3W not work at all. I tried un- and re-installing everything, too.
I installed from discs, and patched to v1.67.
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I'm on 64-bit Windows? I'm only willing to re-install just the base game as a last resort.

Solution: I had to get the Bin (note the capital B) files from my old computer, then copy them over. Click here to see where I got the idea.
Thanks to SorceressSupreme (did I write that right?) for pointing this out.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 14th Apr 2021 at 2:56 PM
When you want to use spoiler tags, start by writing spoiler inside square brackets, then add what you want and end it with /spoiler inside square brackets.

The 64-bit Windows shouldn't be an issue.

It's been such a long time since I installed the game that I'm not sure about this but I remember someone saying that the Sims 3 folder in My Documents doesn't generate till you actually start the game. Perhaps someone else can either debunk or verify this. If it is so and because you can't even get to the game, that's why it is missing.

Or the Documents folder can be accidentally in a wrong place: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/di...omment_15622969

Shouldn't the installation path say: "Program Files(x86) -> Electronics Arts -> The Sims 3 -> Game..." instead of "Program Files(x86) -> TS3 -> TS3 -> Game..."
At least that's the path on my computer.
Instructor
#4 Old 15th Apr 2021 at 7:51 AM
I think Sorceress Supreme is right about the install path, I have never seen it install as Program Files(86)-> TS3->TS3->Game, it has always installed as Program File(86)->Electronic Arts->The Sims 3-> , except the 1 time I downloaded it from Origin, then it was an Origin folder instead of Electronic Arts.
Alchemist
#6 Old 15th Apr 2021 at 4:39 PM
Yes, it can be installed to anywhere you want, I know, but I was talking about - and Mandelyn said it also - the part in the path that says "...Electronic Arts -> The Sims 3 -> Game...". The OP's path says "...TS3 -> TS3 -> Game...". That sounded odd to me no matter where the installation is.
Alchemist
#8 Old 16th Apr 2021 at 3:23 PM
Oh, okay. Thank you for the info. I didn't know that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Apr 2021 at 4:09 AM
Hello! OP here.

So just to confirm everyone's suspicions, I do have the base game (TS3) and all other expansions in the TS3 folder, like this:

Now, I don't see how having a custom install path makes a difference, as I have done this on my old 32-bit system.

I have also found the EA folder, it was hidden the whole time. I'll see if forcing it to regenerate makes a difference. If there are logs you need please let me know.

Thanks!
Screenshots
Alchemist
#10 Old 24th Apr 2021 at 11:35 AM Last edited by Sorceress Supreme : 24th Apr 2021 at 7:19 PM.
There's one thing here you could try: https://modthesims.info/t/530215
In the Arena
retired moderator
#11 Old 3rd May 2021 at 7:09 PM
Does the Launcher launches ?
I see there's a OneDrive icon, is this machine a local account (with Admin rights) or do you login with a Microsoft account?

Oh, DxDiag is missing lots of info, you didn't copy correctly. We need CPU info and some other stuff.
Just put it on a pastebin / ufile share filesite, whereever they don't ask for sign up and paste the URL here.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 13th May 2021 at 9:57 AM
Thanks, guys! One solution finally worked; it turns out I did have a/some borked Bin files. All is fixed and I can finally play my favorite game again!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 13th May 2021 at 10:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
Does the Launcher launches ?
I see there's a OneDrive icon, is this machine a local account (with Admin rights) or do you login with a Microsoft account?

Hi!
I'm afraid the problem's been fixed, so no need for the DxDiag file. I don't use a MS account.
Thanks for helping, though.