Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#8451 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 5:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by David Poston
You know I really hope The Sims 4 supports Intel HD graphics. Because these days more and more computers are being made with integrated graphics especially Intel HD.

Those are cheap, disposable Foxconn crap boxes.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#8452 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 5:24 AM
Today I realized I'll never buy this game - it couldn't get cheap enough.
Lab Assistant
#8453 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 5:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Wedry
Will there be some sort of cataclysmic event if they do something that doesn't involve excluding people?

Scenario:

Player - "Oh boy! A demo! I really love (or hate) what I'm seeing and hearing; I can't wait to get an early taste (or gloat about how right I was about EA's huge fuck-ups)!!!
*Everyone who cares logs in immediately*
*Services crash and burn*
*People who only kinda care, try to explore all the features and can't.*
*People who decry it go, "See?! TOLD YOU it was a piece of shit!!!"*
*EA reputation further ruined*
*Screams of "Oh god, it's SimCity all over again!" fill the air.*
*Nobody wants to buy, not even people who were happy until this point.*

I think after everything they've put themselves through in the last few weeks, they REALLY want to be careful not to drop the ball again. At least not in a huge way.
Top Secret Researcher
#8454 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 5:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Margaret Pendragon
I really thought I couldn't get more disgusted with EA.

Then you're not trying hard enough.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Top Secret Researcher
#8455 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 5:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zigersimmer
Then you're not trying hard enough.
I'm forced to agree with you

lol.
Mad Poster
#8456 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 5:37 AM

Quote:
Enter your email address below to register for your chance to join an early trial experience of The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo. Spots are limited so not everyone will get in.
If you are selected to participate, you will receive an email invitation at some point in the next two weeks.
By registering, you are also signing up for our official Newsletter, giving you news about The Sims 4 and EA products.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Top Secret Researcher
#8457 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 5:39 AM
I'm glad to see some sort of disagreeing here with their tactics. There is no legitimate reason for there needing testing, two rounds of it at that, a demo. Which Grant claimed has been worked on for months. Of a game that will come out in <6 weeks.

Now they want us to enter a lottery. What's next, write an essay stating why you deserve the demo? Post a Let's Play video? Solve riddles?

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Field Researcher
#8458 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 5:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by happycowlover
I'm glad to see some sort of disagreeing here with their tactics. There is no legitimate reason for there needing testing, two rounds of it at that, a demo. Which Grant claimed has been worked on for months. Of a game that will come out in <6 weeks.

Now they want us to enter a lottery. What's next, write an essay stating why you deserve the demo? Post a Let's Play video? Solve riddles?

I just want to know what they're testing, honestly. If they were testing servers, wouldn't they just do an open beta (like, oh, other games) to accurately tweak things? Is there even a feedback system in place for people to report graphical errors or glitches or failures? The more I think about it, the more obvious it is that this first "round" of handouts was actually for popular simmers to "test" whether or not it and fraps could run simultaneously, with other people thrown in to make it less obvious.
Field Researcher
#8459 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 5:56 AM

After the roll-out of SimCity 2013, saying there is "no legitimate reason" to stagger and test is just flat wrong and once again edging towards histrionics.
Instructor
#8460 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 5:56 AM

What's next? Show a bit of nip in that tit-pic you're posting.

I'm sorry, the whole situation is something that you either have to laugh or cry at.
At the moment, my sobs of laughter can be heard for miles.
What can I say, I'm a very emotional person.
Instructor
#8461 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 6:02 AM
If they wanted to test the servers they should let more people try the demo. The day of the first wave of invites, there were only 200 people online, according to some youtube videos I watched. That's really not enough
Field Researcher
#8462 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 6:12 AM
I think it's very likely they're testing the servers and also how the Gallery does under pressure, but it seems to me like they're afraid to admit that those are the tests they're running. This is what happens when you try and disguise necessary tests in a SHINY HYPE DEMO, especially for a game that still hasn't even released gameplay footage at 6 weeks to launch. Can't face stability issues head-on if you're also trying to keep people happy on twitter.
Top Secret Researcher
#8463 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 6:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tuber101
After the roll-out of SimCity 2013, saying there is "no legitimate reason" to stagger and test is just flat wrong and once again edging towards histrionics.

So why not do like Wedry said and have an open beta like other games? And if they truly needed to handle TS4 like this, why not release the demo a bit earlier? I don't know much about game development, but this seems disorganized.

Instructor
#8464 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 6:23 AM
Either they don't give two flying fucks about this game, which could be true since they use it as a hole filler, or they are just too confident about this franchise and think that it will sell itself just because it has a sims name slaped on it.

We're one and a half month from the release, only a few lucky people tested a limited version of cas and we haven't even seen an unscripted live gameplay video! Please think about that. NO game play video! One and a half month....................................

worst company ever
Instructor
#8465 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 6:31 AM
It just sounds so horrible, y'know? I mean, no game play trailer? Under 6 weeks to launch?
What the frick do they do over at EA? No, like, seriously - do they just sit on Twitter all day?
Field Researcher
#8466 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 6:32 AM
So why not do like Wedry said and have an open beta like other games? And if they truly needed to handle TS4 like this, why not release the demo a bit earlier? I don't know much about game development, but this seems disorganized.

You say "other games" like every game does a beta and a demo. They do not - in fact a relatively small portion of games have a demo/beta before launch. Moreover, an open beta almost invariably follows a closed beta which is (stop me if you've heard this before): by invitation/application only. So no, EA is not going above and beyond the call of douchebaggery, it is doing what nearly ever publisher that does a demo/beta does.

People thinking this community is being singled out for mistreatment does not make it true.
Instructor
#8467 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 6:33 AM Last edited by queziacristina : 16th Jul 2014 at 6:49 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Wedry
I think it's very likely they're testing the servers and also how the Gallery does under pressure, but it seems to me like they're afraid to admit that those are the tests they're running. This is what happens when you try and disguise necessary tests in a SHINY HYPE DEMO, especially for a game that still hasn't even released gameplay footage at 6 weeks to launch. Can't face stability issues head-on if you're also trying to keep people happy on twitter.

I think it's pretty obvious they're testing servers plus there are some issues on the demo itself.
Yesterday there was notifications announcing a maintenance and that server would go offline in 30 min(then 10, then 5...that sort of thing).

It was the first time I saw such notifications, what about you guys? I'm not obviously online 100% of day, so I can't be sure it was the first one. I thought it was odd 'cause I went offline as soon as I saw it but they kept notifying me.
Why there wasn't a proper beta? Well, let's always remember Graham words(maybe not his words, but what I understand from his sayings): limited budget/resources/whatever they decide to call it.
Simmers happy or sad about CAS tweeting, posting at facebook, etc don't really matter... good or bad, just talk about the game; and so they have a chance to trend. Some damage control here and there(TS2)...these guys are walking on eggshells, they're trying not to make things worse.

ETA: Yeah, not all games have betas, but Simcity made they learn a lesson or two, I think.

Quote: Originally posted by CooCooCoo
If they wanted to test the servers they should let more people try the demo. The day of the first wave of invites, there were only 200 people online, according to some youtube videos I watched. That's really not enough

Actually at first day the biggest number of people online I've seen was 356. And still servers would go offline multiple times.
At third day, the average was about 800 something. And these days there are usually 200, but I guess it's because people just decided to go offline(and some just got tired of it). Right now just 86. About 30k households.

Let's just agree to disagree.
Top Secret Researcher
#8468 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 6:49 AM
I neither explicitly stated nor implied that every game or even most games do so. Come to think of it, it isn't wise for either of us to compare TS4 to other games. The gaming industry period has its level of douchebaggery period, EA the main culprit. It's like saying EA is in the right to have such amounts of DLC because it is the norm. But, that's another topic for another day.

It still doesn't explain why the demo wasn't released a bit earlier. Comparing them to other gaming comps, they did a horrendous job marketing this game. CAS was what they shoved down our throats since the very beginning last year. Giving us the demo a la Bodyshop could have started solving Gallery/server issues while improving their marketing early on.

Forum Resident
#8469 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 7:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Best_Leopard
Do you guys think the gameplay video is going to be the one that was shown privately at E3 (the one we didn't get to see but only hear about), or will it be something "new" they're putting together now? I heard the descriptions of that video from E3, and it sounded just awful.

Well, I really don't want that and it would be very unwise to show that, because potential players want to see more of the everyday life of a typical TS4 Sim and not some freak show, but you know... it's EA!
Lab Assistant
#8470 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 8:01 AM
The thing that confuses me about this series of "demo tests" is... why do we need an online version of the thing in the first place?

Maybe I missed something, but isn't the final TS4 an offline-compatible experience? I understand worries about the gallery crashing from overload, but this is kind of like that TS3 Pets demo that came out. Didn't it just save all your creations on your hard drive, in a place where the final release could find them? Do you really need to get off the game when they try to fix something, a la MMO server standards, or is it just a warning saying "Hey, don't post anything right now," cause something exploded on their side of the internet?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#8471 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 8:06 AM
They said you would need to be online to activate the game but not after that unless you want the gallery. Thing is if everyone rushes to activate their game at once they still might have the same problems that simcity had.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#8472 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 8:18 AM
Well this was all a surprise to wake up to! I 100% agree with the guys that said its a bad marketing/pacifying strategy and I think they're going to sign up the same number of people they always intended to, but just pull names from the list instead. That said, I totally signed up anyway. What can I say - I'm a sucker EA's perfect customer, most likely

Though I also think its a good (but, again, badly marketed) decision on their part to release the demo in waves like this, if they're truly worried about the server crashing. Its not an essential part of the game, but they should test it. Its getting late though - by the time this wave of demo rolls out, it'll only be 2 weeks before the demo goes public and 4 weeks before the game!

Check out The Moore Legacy, a Sims4 legacy blog.
Also - Stranded on Sixam Challenge... Can your sim live long-term on an alien planet?
Mad Poster
#8473 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 8:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
They said you would need to be online to activate the game but not after that unless you want the gallery. Thing is if everyone rushes to activate their game at once they still might have the same problems that simcity had.

I wondered about this, I don't know about servers or how it works but do the activation and game play share the same server system, or do those downloading and installing have a dedicated server that is different from the ones using the gallery? Might help me understand this thing better because I know playing Sims 3 while connected to the servers will crash the game if they go down. More crashes happen on weekends, I would get CTD at least 2 times over Friday night to Sunday. One of the reasons I don't connect TS3 while playing, the other is too much chatting.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Test Subject
#8474 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 8:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MissPipsi
Well,this is it for me and the demo I guess.I live in Bulgaria,a tiny country in Europe so now I'm not a part of the supposedly random distribution of the demo,great EA,that's just great,I'm almost too sorry I had to give money for a game that I want,because they go to this company that doesn't even consider people where I live to be anything but potential walking wallets. At least I won't give money for the Sims 4,seeing as so far it seems like there were more things cut than included,I'm happy with my Sims 3 for the time being.

Zdravei, MissPipsi. I live in Bulgaria too, but since I am brazilian, I chose Brazil when I signed up for the demo (I am not entirely lying after all...). But in the end, I don't think it matters what country you choose. EA really don't pay attention to their costumers, specially those that don't live in rich countries. I don't plan to buy TS4 now either, the game looks a mess, and the prices I've see here so far are absurd. And that for a game that won't even be translated in bulgarian, and will probably come in russian, romenian, or whatever language EA thinks people around here speak.
Forum Resident
#8475 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 8:47 AM
Everytime I sign up for this stupid Newsletter, giving them the chance to send me a lot of stuff, that i normally hate to receive, just to get that demo, they send me a link to reconfirm and that damn thing is never working.
Oh well, if you don't want to influence a potential buyer, that's fine!
Locked thread
Page 339 of 920