Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Mar 2013 at 5:37 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural
For newbies: Finally install AWESOMEMOD!!! (I learned and I am posting for all who are new :) )
How to install for Windows:

For directions below in a word document, download this post's attachment

Note:
I am a relative newbie myself and have been trying to install Awesomemod on and off for a while. I sat down and sifted through the message boards for hours today after reinstalling the game on a new machine and came up with the following method that worked for me. I hope this provides clarity and help for others so my hours can help many people sim happily.

That being said, thank you to all who have posted tips, tricks, advice, and tech support on these message boards for newbies like myself. I would never have figured this out without you guys!!! And thank you to Pescado, without you I would not be able to make my sim version of me have 10 character traits (Along with all the other truly AWESOME features you have provided!)

My operating system is windows 7 64bit, hence the “Program Files (x86)” location for some of these directions. If you have a 32 bit system, your location would be simply “Program Files” – no “(x86)”

Files to download:

Framework
Link: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,15184.0.html
Note: After downloading this file, extract it and only keep the resource.cfg and the d3dx9_31.dll

Awesomemod
Link: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,15185.0.html

Steps to follow:

1. Copy the d3dx9_31.dll file into all: Base game / Expansion Packs / Stuff Packs
a. Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3>Game>Bin>d3dx9_31.dll
b. Reason: Whichever Bin folder you start the game from via the .exe file, the game will not run the Awesomemod properly without this dll in the same folder.
2. Copy the Resource.cfg file and paste the copy into The Sims 3 directory, but not into Mods>Packages
a. Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Resource.cfg
b. Note: if your game’s “: C:\Program Files(x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 \Mods>Packages” folder has sub folders, do the following.
[INDENT]1. (And if you do not have a “Mods” or “Mods\Packages” folder, don’t worry, jump to step 3 after saving the resource.cfg file to the file path in step 2a and forget about editing the resource.cfg file.)
ii. Open the resource.cfg file in a text editor like Notepad.
iii. Overwrite it to state the following:
Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
iv. Save the resource.cfg file here: “C:\Program Files(x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3” (NOT within the “Mods\Packages” folder)
3. Download a new copy of AwesomeMod, unzip it and copy the AwesomeMod file into here: (if the “Mods” or “Packages” folders do not exist, create them)
a. Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages\awesome.package
4. Delete the “cache” files in this folder (not the sub folders):
a. Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3
b. Files to delete (don’t worry if you do not have all of these files):
i. CASPartCache.package
ii. compositorCache.package
iii. scriptCache.package
iv. simCompositorCache.package
v. socialCache.package
5. Try the game to see if it works but follow these instructions to launch the game!
a. Go to the following path and click the “TS3” application (Do NOT use the play button on the launcher.)[INDENT]i. C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin
b. To play game easily in the future, right click the “TS3” application and select “create shortcut” and then place the shortcut on your desktop
c. You can tell if AwesomeMod is being recognized by your game by doing the following:
i. Type Ctrl-Shift-C to bring up the command console and then type "showconfig"
ii. If it is recognized you will see 4 or 5 pages of detail about how your personal copy of AwesomeMod is configured.
d. (If the game does not work, try putting the Resource.cfg in all of the ep/sp game directories that you have.) Example:
i. C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Resource.cfg
ii. C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 70s, 80s, & 90s Stuff
iii. C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Ambitions
iv. Etc.
6. For any future installs of the game expansion packs / stuff packs such as University Life:
a. Back up your Sims game from both the “documents” folder location and the “program files” folder location[INDENT]i. If you have lots of space on your computer, you can simply copy the following folders to your desktop:[INDENT]1. C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3
2. Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3
b. Install the new expansion pack
c. Download the newest version of the Awesomemod
d. Repeat step 1
e. Repeat step 3
f. Repeat step 4
g. Repeat step 5

Attached files:
File Type: zip  How to install Awesomemod for Windows.zip (10.7 KB, 1579 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 17th Mar 2013 at 7:18 AM
No thanks. NRAAS is all I need.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 17th Mar 2013 at 10:33 AM
That method became outdated in either 2009 or 2010, I forget which. Awesomemod should be installed in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages, just like other CC. The old method can still work, for sure, but it's unreliable, and creates problems with various script mods - so it's better to do things the normal way.

Of course, it doesn't help that Pescado has not updated the Awesomemod install instructions to reflect the 'new' method - I suspect it's part of his campaign to restrict the use of AwesomeMod to people who already know what they're doing.

Quick instructions on installing CC: Game Help:Installing Sims 3 Package Files/Setup and Fileswiki

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#4 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 1:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
That method became outdated in either 2009 or 2010, I forget which. Awesomemod should be installed in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages, just like other CC. The old method can still work, for sure, but it's unreliable, and creates problems with various script mods - so it's better to do things the normal way.

Of course, it doesn't help that Pescado has not updated the Awesomemod install instructions to reflect the 'new' method - I suspect it's part of his campaign to restrict the use of AwesomeMod to people who already know what they're doing.

Quick instructions on installing CC: Game Help:Installing Sims 3 Package Files/Setup and Fileswiki

I have University expansion with patch 1.50 for the base game. The above method is said to be the old one on the ModTheSims forums. Do i install the awesome mod as any other custom content?
Site Helper
#5 Old 5th Apr 2013 at 8:56 PM
Yes, Awesome Mod is installed the same way as any other Package file. (So is the Awesome Config file.) If you are patched beyond 1.12, you use the new way.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Locked thread | Locked by: werismyki Reason: outdated "old" way