Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#26 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 12:45 AM
I rarely download lots these days, but when I do I MUCH prefer unfurnished/empty, and the less CC the better.

my tumblr - sim pics and downloads
my dreamwidth - ts2 downloads
linkdecrypter - bypass adfly and other harmful pay per click download link hiders
Advertisement
#27 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 1:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by alyssaroseanne
Hello,

Just a quick question!

When downloading a lot, do you prefer it to be empty or furnished? To have some CC or none at all?

I like downloading furnished houses to see how others would use the space :D

Base game. No custom content. Fully furnished. Empty houses are ugly, in my opinion. I like seeing nice decor and the imaginative stuff people can do without custom content and only the base game.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 1:59 AM
Furnished, since.. I'm no expert at interior decorating. I usually use the same furniture in each house.. so, yea a little variety makes it easy on the eyes. Oh, and all my families have way more than enough money to go moving into any of those overly expensive lots.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 2:06 AM
Don't care if it's furnished or not, if I like the look of it, I will download it.

Having said that, if a house is furnished, I will ALWAYS take out everything but basic fittings (lights, toilets etc.) and re-do it. I find a lot of houses are absolutely jam-packed with useless shit, and often it's expensive useless shit - paintings, the more expensive beds and couches etc., eleventy-hundred rose bushes, that kind of thing. In order for (a) my Sims to be able to afford the house and (b) my computer not to throw a fit and refuse to play a lot with insane landscaping, it's all gotta go.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 2:22 AM
I just found one possible answer on another board on a thread about hunting down cc. Package the lot with the cc recolour to file and package the lot without cc to file and then compare all the files. Might still take awhile, but if the recolour shows up it would be that one different file.

Lol klapaucius, I am so guilty of using 'eleventy-hundred' rose bushes in my Rose Cottage. It's all for looks and so that it looks good to upload mods. I do recommend gardening hacks though. I do play that lot myself in my integrated hood and yes they do spend quite some time trimming stuff, but it's a B&B and I often have the guests do it and she doesn't have any other job then running the place.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Banned
#31 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 3:05 AM
I never do as almost all are WAY too small for me. Even if one was big enough, I too don't want furnished, at least not more than minimally. I like when they have CC, especially when it's something not available easily otherwise.
Oh yeah, and making a mansion-like house with cheap-ass furniture/appliances/etc is fucking retarded - but that was more EAxis than creators. ie the cheapest TV/stove/shower/fridge/etc in a big, otherwise expensive house. Also, what's with all the expensive houses (again more EAxis) that have fireplaces and shit but don't even have a TV or phone - but are otherwise fully furnished? Are these supposed to be Amish sims?
Mad Poster
#32 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
That's when you go "Mootilda, to the rescue!" and bring out the lot adjustor. One of the best tools available for Sims, if you ask me.

Agreed! If only my cities weren't crammed to the rafters with no room to spare. Heh.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Site Helper
#33 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 3:38 AM
Plus, the LotAdjuster isn't so great if you have to wait 2 hours for your game to boot.

It would be great if we had access to that functionality inside of the game.
Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 3:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MattShizzle
I never do as almost all are WAY too small for me. Even if one was big enough, I too don't want furnished, at least not more than minimally. I like when they have CC, especially when it's something not available easily otherwise.
Oh yeah, and making a mansion-like house with cheap-ass furniture/appliances/etc is fucking retarded - but that was more EAxis than creators. ie the cheapest TV/stove/shower/fridge/etc in a big, otherwise expensive house. Also, what's with all the expensive houses (again more EAxis) that have fireplaces and shit but don't even have a TV or phone - but are otherwise fully furnished? Are these supposed to be Amish sims?

Cheaper furnishings means cheaper house? I don't like downloading a fully furnished $300,000 sim house if half the expense is a multitude overpriced beds and televisions. Just give me the damn house.

And don't diss the Amish, they are bro-tier. :P

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#35 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 4:26 AM
A mansion shouldn't come with $60 chairs and a horrible green fridge though. Might as well leave it unfurnished if you want the price to be lower.

I'd love the adjuster to work in game, but I guess as with most sims two stuff (adding in cc, opening bodyshop or simpe) we will have to be content to do it outside of the game and then wait while it loads.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Banned
#36 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 4:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fivey
Cheaper furnishings means cheaper house? I don't like downloading a fully furnished $300,000 sim house if half the expense is a multitude overpriced beds and televisions. Just give me the damn house.

And don't diss the Amish, they are bro-tier. :P

So don't include them at all. If you could afford a million dollar house would you decide to save money by having a cheap-ass ghetto shower with a curtain, a 20-inch tube TV and a super uncomfortable bed? Of course not. As to the Amish, if you do diss them online it's not like they'd know...
Note I'm not far from their home area - and most of us around here know at least some Pennsylvania Dutch (their language. Basically 17th C German.)
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 4:48 AM Last edited by Fivey : 27th Apr 2013 at 5:19 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by MattShizzle
So don't include them at all. If you could afford a million dollar house would you decide to save money by having a cheap-ass ghetto shower with a curtain, a 20-inch tube TV and a super uncomfortable bed? Of course not. As to the Amish, if you do diss them online it's not like they'd know...
Note I'm not far from their home area - and most of us around here know at least some Pennsylvania Dutch (their language. Basically 17th C German.)

Depends. Do I have a million and fifty dollars or five million dollars?

Plus I'm also rather frugal...so I think I could totally picture myself if I was fantastically rich buying a beautiful mansion, and set up my grandiose dining room space as a fold up table and like four patio chairs from Walmart. It would work great for conversation starters. "Oh, um, what's with these chairs? Aren't you rich?" "I am a woman of luxury, so I naturally bought this selection of seatingware. You can still smell the food stamps and dead goldfish."

I would also keep guard geese.

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Scholar
#38 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 6:07 AM
I am starting to get wary of other peoples mistakes and wondering if it really is a good idea, trusting that whomever created this lot did so safely.

I really agree with this. I've never downloaded a lot, and never will. I'm very wary of corrupting my hood (after I did it once and had to start all over again). I know most people probably have uploaded safe lots, but you never know.

To answer the question, I would prefer to download something with little or no cc, as I'm quite picky about what I put in my downloads folder. I don't like to have too much, as I like the reasonable loading times I have now (I think it's about 2 or 3 minutes if that, even bodyshop (touch wood)).
Alchemist
#39 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 6:25 AM
I like unfurnished as i like to decorate specially for my sims.
Well, some CC is nice if its out of quality
Scholar
#40 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 7:05 AM
I prefer an unfurnished apartment, or basic fixtures installed for an apartment lot.

As for residential, depends...I'm not very interested in furnishing huge lots, but small ones are fine to furnish. That's a toss-up. Apartments an much more clear cut for me.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#41 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 8:54 AM
ddgjdhh: MTS require us to upload fully furnished apartment lots.

Dizzy-noodles: as both Jo and I said before, lot uploaders at MTS have to submit clean lots using Clean Installer so no chance of hacks etc getting in the lot.

It takes me hours, days, even weeks sometimes to create lots, whether it be just the building of them or choosing the right furnishings for it.
Mad Poster
#42 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 9:03 AM
I prefer unusual lots when I do download them (that comes in spurts ... I'll create my own for a while, then download a couple now and again) ... small to medium, but with something I wouldn't usually take the time to create.

Minimally furnished ... enough for a SIm to move in and at least have a place to eat, sleep and tend to personal needs.

A few items of CC is Ok, as long as it's not ultra-high-poly or something I would never use in another lot.. Since I prefer lots I wouldn't design myself, i understand that a creator might want to use a bit of CC to add that quality that makes the lot stand out, but if it's more than a few items, I usually pass. My Downloads folder has enough in it for now, thanks! Extra points if I can work around the CC and not download it, if I choose.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Top Secret Researcher
#43 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 9:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by karen lorraine
ddgjdhh: MTS require us to upload fully furnished apartment lots.

Dizzy-noodles: as both Jo and I said before, lot uploaders at MTS have to submit clean lots using Clean Installer so no chance of hacks etc getting in the lot.

It takes me hours, days, even weeks sometimes to create lots, whether it be just the building of them or choosing the right furnishings for it.

MTS isn't the only place to download CC, y'know.

Simblr.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#44 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 9:53 AM
Fivey, I am well aware that you can download CC and house from other sites, and I do download CC from other places but since this was a thread about lots and at MTS I was talking about the lots that I create for here. When I upload to other sites, I use the same criteria at those sites as I do here.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#45 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 11:18 AM
I like DL lots every now and again - something interesting, usually. But I'm not that bothered about furnishing since I nearly always change things around (especially bathrooms) and anyway prefer my sims to buy their properties unfurnished.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#46 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 11:19 AM
To answer the original question, since the only lots I've downloaded so far are Mootilda's Mews, the answer must be furnished with no CC.

If I ever download residential lots, they are likely to be starter houses, with minimal furniture. The very smallest of these (1x1) are probably best furnished, as the uploader has then already done the job of working out how to fit everything in!

I normally wouldn't want CC included.
Mad Poster
#47 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 1:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DigitalSympathies
Agreed! If only my cities weren't crammed to the rafters with no room to spare. Heh.

True, but if you don't have space to use the Lot Adjustor, then you wouldn't be able to fit the lot with the bigger backyard any way, would you? =P

And that is true Mootilda, the loading of game can be obnoxious, but it doesn't take that much planning to do it when the game is closed any way and you'd be stuck with that loading time regardless But hey, I'm biased because I'm so very in love with the program. I suck at deciding how much room I want around the house, so being able to shift it around as much as I like is wonderful.
Site Helper
#48 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 3:58 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 27th Apr 2013 at 5:02 PM.
Although I haven't fooled around with this, removing all furniture from an unoccupied lot should be as simple as setting one flag in SimPE (Lot Description U0 add 0x08). If people are interested in this feature, I could probably add it to the LotAdjuster or the Clean Installer. This would give us the best of both worlds, since people could upload lots with furnishings and then remove the furnishings before people move in. [Update: an initial test shows that this is feasible in the Lot Bin, which means that I should be able to add this ability to the Clean Installer].

Allowing the user to decide which objects to keep (toilets, sinks, showers and baths, counters, etc.) is do-able, but more difficult. I'm already working on a project related to this.

And that is true Mootilda, the loading of game can be obnoxious, but it doesn't take that much planning to do it when the game is closed any way and you'd be stuck with that loading time regardless
That comment was specifically directed at DigitalSympathies, who is known for having a lot of CC.
Instructor
#49 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 4:08 PM
I download lots very rarely, and only if they have interesting build techniques that I'm not likely to bother with myself and I like the looks of them and they are not too large. Most houses are both too large and over-furnished for my playstyle. None of my Sims have chairs in their bedrooms or more than one TV, for instance. And only my teeniest Sim houses have only 1.5 bathrooms; most have 2.5, and big houses have 3.5.

I like to look at other people's houses for ideas, though, especially for landscaping.
Site Helper
#50 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 4:27 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 27th Apr 2013 at 4:52 PM. Reason: clarification
That sounds a lot like my downloaded houses... lots rarely have enough bathrooms until I fix them. The one exception is that I like to have a sofa or recliner in the bedroom, so that my sims can take a nap.
Page 2 of 4