Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th May 2021 at 6:41 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default A Problem with doors.
Can anybody offer any suggestions as to what has gone wrong here?

This is one of my lots which I have used in a number of story posts, and at least three sim families have lived in it without any problems. Till now. Today, when I loaded up the save I have been using it in, I found that the doors, one leading from the kitchen into the utility room, and two others leading from there into the bathroom and into the garden, had disappeared. I can't remember which doors they were, but I replaced them with the ones shown. But the trouble is, they don't work. If I tell my sim to enter either of those rooms she will walk to where she is standing and just stop, the command will cancel. But, stranger still, do you see what she is doing? I clicked on the sink and told her to wash her hands, she is going through the motions of washing them and you can see that the tap is running. But no way will she enter that bathroom. If I click on the toilet and tell her to use that, she will remain where she is, perform the sitting down animation, and then suddenly teleport onto the toilet. When she's done her business she zaps back to where she started and goes through the motion of pulling the flush. Every sim in the family does the same.

Getting rid of the walls solves the problem, but the walls really do need to be there. I have tried demolishing the walls and replacing both them and the doors, but the same thing happens. I tried replacing the door into the utility room with an arch, but they still won't go through it. What I can't understand is what happened to the original doors, I'm reasonably certain I have not un-installed them, and even if I had I don't see why the replacements shouldn't work. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th May 2021 at 1:47 PM Last edited by Elynda : 19th May 2021 at 2:40 PM.
I reset the lot and did like you said. I got a long list of all the objects on the lot. By 'residual jigs' do you mean those things that show as white cubes in the list? There were a number of those, some of which read 'core.stairs' and one that read 'core.null'. I flushed them all, but the doors still aren't working.

EDIT: This is very baffling. I just had two sims holding a conversation, standing one either side of the door. As an experiment, I moved the wall (the one my sim is facing in the picture) back one square. She was then able to pass through the door, but when I told her to go back into the kitchen, she did so, but then seemed to get stuck on that spot and wouldn't move anywhere else. It was almost as if the wall was still there blocking the way.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th May 2021 at 12:19 AM
No, I couldn't find anything like that. And yes, I did delete core.stairs, even though I had a feeling I shouldn't, but I didn't save the game after that.

In the end I did as you suggested. There was still an older version of the house in my Library, so I moved the family out, deleted the bugged version, and replaced it with that one. I still had to replace those missing doors, but it does work now. That house, Dunwarren, has seen a lot of service over the years and versions of it have been moved from one town to another many times, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised at a little lot corruption. I just hope I won't find the same problem with other lots.

Anyway, thanks

Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th May 2021 at 11:59 PM
I just tried what you suggested and it worked! Fortunately I'd made a new save with a different name, so the original was still there. I moved the family out, saved the lot to the bin, demolished the original, placed the copy, moved the family back in and... success! So now I know just what to do if I get the same problem again.

Again, many thanks @Nitromon