Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 2:26 PM
Yes, it's me again - once more in need of a little help from people with more experience in slots than myself.

I'm trying to add slots to a curtain. (Actually to a window ledge, but it's cloned from a curtain). The package didn't have a SLOT file or a Model - Bones in the Text List, so to begin with I extracted both ressources from an end table and then added them to my package.

Then I used this tutorial to add the slot information to the Ressource Node - making sure that the slot name matched up, of course. When that didn't work, I tried Leesester's tutorial. And when that didn't work either I tried Fisheeyes' old tutorial on creating working slots on extended objects.

To no avail. My window ledge still has no slot. I'm guessing it's perhaps not recognizing the two ressources (SLOT and Model - Bones) that I imported, but I don't really know how to fix that. So I'd really appreciate it if somebody could tell me what I'm missing here

I've attached the package if it's any help. Thanks very much for any assistance.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Moune_Torrox_WindowLedgeSingleLowMASTER.rar (34.5 KB, 23 downloads) - View custom content

Moune's Neighbourhood
If you need a cool place for your sims to chill out.
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Original Poster
#27 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 4:15 PM
Yes it is not recognizing your added resources. As I briefly covered in the background you need to link the SLOT to the OBJD. I only covered it briefly with "this links to this links" to this sort of way since I was basing this tutorial from the standpoint of an object already having those resources and just adding additional slots. The fisheyes tutorial should have also covered it but since there are not pics it can be confusing, at least for me.

I've updated the tutorial pdf with pics and the web page link. But take the Instance number of your SLOT and place it in the OBJD in line 0x0014. The value is 0x00000080(128) of your SLOT, so place 0x0080 or 128 in the value field. It is currently 0x0000 or 0. Depending whether you view it as hex or decimal.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 6:46 PM
HL, my apologies for not paying better attention. These days I mostly use your tutorial and Fisheeyes' as a kind of check-list, so I don't miss any steps. I should have gone back and read the background information again, so I could have figured it out myself.

Thank you very much for your help. I now have a very functional slot on my window ledge and will hurry to add a couple more.

Moune's Neighbourhood
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
Original Poster
#29 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 9:45 PM
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#30 Old 1st Aug 2010 at 6:37 AM
Question: One of my new bathroom meshes doesn't have the Model-Bones, but it does have the SLOT file. This mesh is a clone of one of the others and is a slave. Does it matter what I extract the resource from? Should I use the master? (The rest of it I understand.)

BTW, HL- I got all my slots in the right spot on the first try thanks to you. I do want to nudge them to the side a bit, but other than that..yay! I didn't even need to keep checking the tutorial for the last 2 mesh's slots.
Field Researcher
#31 Old 1st Aug 2010 at 11:08 AM
I don't think it matters what object you extract the Model-Bones file from as long as the names and parameters inside it match up with the rest of your package. I used a Model-Bones file from an end table and added it to a curtain clone and that presented no problems once it was all properly linked.

You could add it to the master and then clone it again for the slave, once you're sure that it works. That way you don't have to add it manually twice.

And, oooh, a new bathroom! I love new bathrooms, so I'll be watching this space.

Moune's Neighbourhood
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
Original Poster
#32 Old 1st Aug 2010 at 1:33 PM
Yep, what moune said. The model-bones instance number is what is important, as are all the text lists instance numbers. This is what links them to the other resources.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#33 Old 1st Aug 2010 at 4:27 PM
Thanks. I made a mistake in my post though. The object ISN'T a clone, just a slave. I forgot what was what, lol. I'm still going to try adding what's needed. If I can't get it to work, I'll probably just remake that object as a clone and play with the slots.

Moune, it's just "accessories" at the moment- although I did try a tub, which I plan on working on again.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 7th Aug 2010 at 10:30 AM Last edited by MysticRain : 10th Aug 2010 at 5:29 PM.
I am trying to add slots to a desk with this tutorial for the fourth time now and I always run into problems.
I have cloned different objects to see what works best (endtable, table, desk) and I am using a desk as a base now but everytime I am going to add the container slots to the Transforum node, I see that there are two lines missing. What is already there are the values from 7-8 and A-F (and 5 and 6 in another node), my slots numbers range from 13-20. Do I just irgnore the missing numbers? Or are they in the letters? I have no clue about Hex Code meaning I can't "count" the values and see if they are in the right order..

And another question: when setting the values for height and so on, did I understand this right that I have to substract 0.8 from my Z (Y) value since this is the height the table slots already have?

edit: I got the values worked out but I can't seem to be able to get the slot coordinates right. my deco items hover in midair... I substracted 0,8 from each Y value (and of course put this in the z field in simPE). what am I missing?

edit 2: I got everything worked out now -except one slot. It wouldn't change its' position anymore and I have no clue what to do.I already checked that the name in CRES was right and tried with values like 5,0 to see if anything worked but to no avail.
I have no idea what I did wrong.

greets,
Mystic Rain

my sims 2 site: MysticRain Sims
Field Researcher
#35 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 9:41 PM
Has anybody tried adding slots to counters made with Numenor's clone templates - and succeed?

I'm attempting to add an ordinary 'endtable' slot to a low shelf on a counter, but I'm getting some strange results. The slot is there, but I can only access it by using 'M' to toggle down to it, and only if I do this before I place anything on the countertop.

I've tried attaching the new child node to several different nodes, but with the same result. Is there something special I should take into account when working with counters?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Moune's Neighbourhood
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
Original Poster
#36 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 11:30 PM
Yep. Weirdness. My cottage kitchen set I added slots to lower shelfs and had the same issue. What I figure is it is the bounding box of the whole counter getting in the way. The slot is hiding kinda inside the whole counter, preventing you from being able to grab/place anything there. I have no idea if there is a way to change this, but I suspect not. Which is why I left the slots in my counters and just made a note about the issue. Basically you have to delete the counter to remove anything from the lower slot.
Field Researcher
#37 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 8:24 AM
Well, I'm glad it isn't only me who can't work this out. I was beginning to feel a little 'slotwise challenged'.

Thanks for the response, HL. I'll do what you did. Add the slot(s) and make a note in the catalogue description so people know how to handle it.

Moune's Neighbourhood
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#38 Old 14th Feb 2011 at 5:34 AM
I'm working with a multi-tile object and I've managed to add the slots in more or less correctly, but I've run across some issues I'm not sure are resolvable. I'm trying to put 3 slots on the top of the piano and the object needs to have each tile point at the main slot file or it breaks. Adding my 3 slots to the end of that list makes 4 copies of those slots, because the piano is a 4 tile object and each tile knows about all three slots. Is there a way of removing this doubling up? My other problem is that objects don't snap into these slots, they only place by hovering over a tile (deco object is red) and then pressing M snaps them into the slot. Any idea how to fix that?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#39 Old 11th Mar 2011 at 10:29 AM
Phae, do you still need an answer (given you've now posted the piano)?
retired moderator
#40 Old 11th Mar 2011 at 2:18 PM
If there is an easy awesome way of doing it I'll update the piano; I wanted to be able to stick a lamp over the sheet music, but it's not at the top of my priorities list right now.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
Original Poster
#41 Old 11th Mar 2011 at 2:25 PM
Echo I would love an answer! I poked around at pianos and couldn't see a way to do it, so if it's doable I' love if you could post directions on how to. I know how to have slots assigned to a multi-tile footprint ( I have a 2 tile bookcase that has left/right only slots).
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#42 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 9:16 AM
To add new slots to one tile but not another, you need to make a duplicate SLOT file. Clone the existing one so that it has all the same slots, but give it a new instance (just adding 1 to the current value is fine). Now, add your new slots to the end of this new SLOT file, then go to the OBJD for the tile you *do* want the slots associated with. Under its RAW Data, scroll down to "0x0014: slots id" and put the new instance number in there. That tile will have all the existing slots and two more because it will look at the new SLOT file, but all of the other tiles will just have the existing slots because they're still looking at the old SLOT file.

When objects don't snap into the slots without cheats, it's normally one of:
1. The slot type doesn't match the object type. In the SLOT file, the I7 value on a container slot is the "allowed height field". Your object has to have the same placement flag set as this I7 value, or it won't be allowed in that slot.
2. The object it to heavy for the container. All container objects have a "support strength" value, which is normally set in their init. Likewise, all objects which can be placed in a container slot have a "weight" value set in their init. The combined weights of all objects "contained" must be less than the "support strength" of the container. (No hippopotamuses on the coffee table!)
3. The container object is blocking objects via an OBJf line. In the OBJf files, there is a line for "Prevent Place In Slot". If that is set to a BHAV, then that BHAV gets run every time someone tries to put something in the slot. If it returns false, the object cannot be placed. If it returns true, everything is all good. Remember the stackable chair I sent you a while back? That BHAV is the way I was able to allow chairs of the same type to go into the slot, but not chairs of a different type; I put a check on the GUID in that BHAV.

There are other reasons why putting stuff in slots can fail, but they're pretty rare really.
retired moderator
#43 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 3:11 AM
Adding a new SLOT file was what I tried after it duplicated my slots. The piano stopped working then, it seems like all five OBJD files all need to point to the original SLOT file to allow the piano to work properly. And while the objects didn't snap into their spots, they did hop into them after hovering over the slot and then pressing M. I never had to use cheats to get them in. It was just weird all over.
Instructor
#44 Old 6th Apr 2011 at 6:04 PM
I just want to add a little tiddbit: when there are more than one slots in a tile, the order in which they are accessible is determined by the order of the lines in the SLOT file. The names and the order of the names in Model-Bones does not matter, nor does the I10 value.
retired moderator
#45 Old 13th Jun 2011 at 7:52 AM Last edited by Phaenoh : 14th Jun 2011 at 5:32 AM.
Ok, I'm working on adding some slots to a set of decorative steps and for some reason SimPE is not letting me edit the I9 or I10 values. Anyone heard of that before? I'm trying to add A-14 to I9 and 3-D on I10. I tried it in game without those values, but it seemed to not recognize those slots at all without them. Help?

Later: Ok, so it seems that those values are in Dec and not Hex. It took the numbers for me and works just fine. Now I just have to poke them all into the right places. Thanks for this great tutorial
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#46 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 3:20 AM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 24th Dec 2011 at 7:28 AM.
I've converted a deco fireplace into a working one. The actual fire/logs part is to the side- I managed to get the flames, effects and animations moved to the right spot. There were 3 slots (used Numernor's template)- those are in the right spots now. So- why does my adding a slot crash the game? This is the 3rd version and adding a slot crashed the game every time. Is there a trick to adding slots to a fireplace? (I thought I did something wrong after the first time, so I followed the tutorial to the letter..same result.)

Edit: Never mind. The slots work fine now. I really don't understand why adding them was crashing my game before.
Test Subject
#47 Old 26th Dec 2011 at 6:51 PM
I see it's been awhile since last post, but I was hoping I could get help creating slots for fridges. I have been able to successfully create and add slots to several different objects, most of them being decorative, but this fridge is throwing me for a loop. Can place fridge in game, no crashing, but deco item turns red when trying to place on fridge. Will cross my fingers that someone might still? be watching this thread. . .
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#48 Old 26th Dec 2011 at 7:10 PM
Is it every deco object that turns red or only a certain one/ones? Can you place it using "moveobjects on"? Echo's post above (#42) might interest you- the part about objects not snapping into slots without using cheats.
Test Subject
#49 Old 26th Dec 2011 at 11:20 PM Last edited by auntekay : 27th Dec 2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: update
I used an object that worked in the cabinets, using that slot file from those to fill in the same values for the fridge, and moveobjects cheat simply allowed the object to sit on the ground under the fridge. Am going to try Echo's post #42 now. Not sure if I'm smart enough for this. Will post with progress.

Hope it is okay to edit post:

Tried duplicating slot, tried assigning the slots to different joints, practicals, etc. I've been working on this for days and am tired of it. Maybe will try tomorrow. Thank you for the help and suggestions.
Gone Fishin'
retired moderator
#50 Old 28th Dec 2011 at 10:50 PM
Just checking, but when you say "deco objects", you do mean objects that are found in the catalogue's Decorative category, right? Not table lamps and the like?

When you say you got the slot values from "the cabinets", exactly what kind of surface are you talking about? A counter, a table, a shelf, or...? Because like Echo said above, not all kinds of objects are allowed in all slots. (Personally, I like to use end tables to get the values when I make slots - then the slots can hold deco as well as table lamps and small electronics.)

Also, if your slot is a decorative slot (the kind of slot you have on shelves, dressers and mantles), are you sure the object you're using to test it actually can be placed in deco slots? If you're using an in-game deco object, it should be, but not all custom items can be placed in deco slots - I've missed fixing that with my own deco objects a few times.

If want to upload your fridge here, then we can have a look at it to see if we can find the problem.
Page 2 of 3