Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 1:49 PM Last edited by Odistant : 13th May 2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Updated - 5/13/2011 - Added new information
Default Tutorial: Creating Custom Sims 3 Fully Functional TV Channels! (With your own video clip, sync'd audio!)

NOTE: This guide is currently extremly outdated with the current version of S3PE and only reccomend to be used for the experienced. A newer version is in the works

This guide will go through the steps on creating a channel that's viewable to your Sims WITHOUT overwriting any files! You will also be able to use your own video clip(s)!

The tutorial contains pictures for almost every single step for the visuals, as well as gives detailed pointers to make sure that nothing goes wrong when your creating your channel.

I spent almost a month creating this tutorial, and very proud to release it. However, I could not of created this tutorial without the many people who helped come up with theories in the discussion thread for custom channels as well as the creators of the many programs out their making modding easier every day.

Anyways, here's a list of features of the tutorial:
  • Lots of pictures!
  • Contains the converting programs, so no need to download much!
  • List of all the programs being used
  • Offline and Online Version (Online being worked on)

The tutorial is contained as a .pdf for easy viewing. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 to view the tutorial.

If you have difficulties, you can post them at the Sims 3 TV Channels discussion thread located at http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=349447 or here.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

If you are getting a blank pie menu, then you haven't set the STBL location right. Under the S3PE STBL Editor (Opened by right clicking on a STBL file and selecting Edit STBL) create a new string. Generate a FNV64 hash for the following code:
Code:
Gameplay/Excel/TV/TVChannel:OdistantTest <--- Change odistant test to whatever your channel name is in the .XML file.

Now put that into the string id and to the big box on the right side input the name that you wish to give your channel that's viewable on the PIE menu.

I found it best to install a fully codec pack and then re-boot the computer. The one I used is: Cole2k Media Codec Pack Advanced
You can get it for free from their site, or if you google it.

The EA Converter contained will allow you to convert .video files into .avi so you can view them. I included the program in case you wish to extract a original video file. They can be found in Fullbuild1 as "Sims3TV_". Just drag and drop the file onto eaconv.exe.

Please, please, don't give me ALL credit for figuring out the solution to custom channels! Their were a bunch of us who came up with the right theory. You can view the "Credits" section to see all who helped in the creation of the tutorial.

:With some great development, we have been able to solve the issue with out-of-sync audio! I updated the guide to add-in an easy method for this. I have also went through and re-did the STBL part since Stubble is way out of date and no longer works with Night Life. I'm also working on the Wiki version of the guide in-case you do not wish to download it. If you come across anything that has a issue, please send me a PM or post here
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Odistant_Creating_Custom_Channels_for_Sims_3_NEW.zip (1.70 MB, 7771 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Newest Version - Updated STBL, Audio, and Grammar fixes as well as some minor updates
38 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 3:24 PM
Wow.
Tutorial looks great and very easy to follow.
It's looks like a lot of work people, but it really isn't. Just a lot of writing in tutorial, but that's to help make it noob friendly.
I know alot of you have been waiting for this, SO make sure to say THANK YOU to Odistant for the time he has put into putting all this together and making this.

THANK YOU Odistant!

CO
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Mar 2010 at 2:52 PM
Added updated tutorial version.

The updated tutorial changes the dimensions used. It was 245x245, but it should of been 256x256. Please download the UPDATED version or use the dimension of 256x256 for your video instead.
Test Subject
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2010 at 11:25 AM
How long did it take u to make the picture?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Mar 2010 at 9:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jaredis1
How long did it take u to make the picture?

About 10 minutes. I used the Sims 3 logo with the Sims Font as well as the Sims wingdings for the TV.
Banned
#6 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 10:15 AM
Oh awesome! I can't wait to try now! .
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 1:27 PM
CrappyOne and I have been working on getting the Mood Buffs to affect with the TV Channels, and so far, so good.

Look forward to a tutorial showing you how to add in Mood Buffs to your Channel (:
Test Subject
#8 Old 30th Mar 2010 at 1:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Odistant
About 10 minutes. I used the Sims 3 logo with the Sims Font as well as the Sims wingdings for the TV.

what did u use
Test Subject
#9 Old 30th Mar 2010 at 6:58 PM
wow thanks a lot not i can begin making tv channels =D

~SirProniss~
Test Subject
#10 Old 17th May 2010 at 10:10 PM
Awesome tutorial!! Sheer genius!! I added two custom channels: CNN and an "adult" channel. They both work perfectly. I was wondering if you can have the custom channels increase any skills besides gardening, fishing, and cooking. I tried to have my CNN channel increase logic but that created some sort of glitch. Once my sim would sit down to watch tv, he would suddenly appear standing behind the couch and the tv would turn off. Once I removed the logic skill from the xml file, everything worked fine. Maybe I'm just being greedy. I just think it would be amazing if my "adult" channel could increase charisma!
Test Subject
#11 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 8:38 PM
Default Adding Audio to video
So far creating video only channels worked great. But trying to create the channels with audio gives me some problems. I noticed that I have been able to create a channel with audio only if I set the video fps (frames per second) to 5. With that said the video is very choppy. If I set the fps on a video beyond 5 for some reason when I play back the video using VCL it will not complete. The video cuts off at a certain point which seems the video and audio are not synced. Is there a way to get the video and audio working together using higher fps so that the video is improved? Any tips apreciated.
Test Subject
#12 Old 12th Aug 2010 at 7:30 PM
Would there be away to create also custom radio channels? Would it be similar to this?

I know I can put my custom music in TS3, but I'd like to make more than one custom channels and have them all as separate favorites, plus give names to them. I dearly miss the music from TS2 and I've been dreaming of making/having back some of the radio channels from TS2. I find the radio channels in TS3 so limiting and I always have trouble choosing a proper favorite music for my sims. (I dearly need metal, hiphop, pop and country channels.)
Test Subject
#13 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 3:11 PM
so...it didnt work for me lmao!!
im completely new around coding and this stuff so probably i messed up a lot during the process....
one thing that i remember oddly is the fact that when i was with the _XML file in the notepad++ after i save it....no "commit" popbox showed up...
well at the end of everythin i opened up the game and not even the name of my chanel was in the tv xD

and one more question...wheres supposed for me to put the vp6 and wav files of the video?? i got really confused...i still have them in the folder refered in the tutorial...next to GUI.exe etc....arent the files supposed to go somewhere...any attention or help would be greatly appreciated....but great tutorial man...im the noob here xD
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 11:34 PM
This tutorial is a bit outdated and was made for support with the base game only. I will have to test these methods myself since it's been a while since I last made a channel.

The problem also is the fact that S3PE has also been updated, so I'm not sure if this method will still work either.

Again, I'll work on updating this guide when I can.
Test Subject
#15 Old 20th Sep 2010 at 8:02 PM
oh ok man...sorry to bother you if i did..was just curious...keep up the fun guys!!

:D
Test Subject
#16 Old 22nd Sep 2010 at 5:55 PM
how i want to get the vp6 codec? when i get into the virtual dub, and select Video>Compression, there are only Uncompress RGB, Cinepack Codec, ffdshow video codec, intel iyuv codec, microsoft rle, microsof video 1, microsoft windows media video 9, and xvis mpeg-4 codec... no vp6 codec :'-(
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th Sep 2010 at 12:09 AM
I have updated the main thread with some new information. Cheers go to Vidov for sending me a PM so I can update it.
Test Subject
#18 Old 11th Oct 2010 at 2:14 PM Last edited by blackg72 : 17th Oct 2010 at 9:49 PM.
Well guys I figured out the problem to why the audio and video is out of synch and not looping.
From my testing, on a Vista machine, the GUI.exe isn't converting the audio correctly when creating the dat file.
I found a link: http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php..._Sound_eXchange that explains the syntax of sx.exe.
There are two ways to fix this.

1) Create a .bat file to run the sx.exe file
2) Add -fps"yourfpsvalue" -loops"-1" -loope"-1 in the GUI.exe block

USING SCRIPT METHOD
If you create a .bat file named convert2dat and add the following line of code it will convert the wave file to the dat file. You will use this instead of the GUI.exe file. This script will need to be in the same folder as the sx.exe file.

Script: Copy section below here. Do not copy this line.

@Echo off
SET filename=yourfilenamegoeshere
SET fps=yourvideoframespersecond

sx -sndstream -fps"%fps%" -loops"-1" -loope"-1" "%filename%.wav" -="%filename%.dat"

Script ends here. Do not include this line.

fps = frames per second. This value should match the frames per second (fps) on your video conversion when using virtualdub. If they do not match your file will be out of synch.
yourfilenamegoeshere = is the name of the file you want to convert without including the .wav. You should change this value to your own wav file you want to convert.

NOTE: the sx.exe file and the wav file should be in the same directory as your convert2dat.bat file

USING GUI.EXE METHOD
Open GUI.exe and browse the file you are looking for. Once the file is showing in your window you will need to add the following to the end of the Input file:
i.e. say the audio file you want to convert is c:\MooMoo.wav. You will change the Input file to look like this: C:\MooMoo.wav" -fps"30" -loops"-1" -loope"-1

30 is the fps of your video file. So if that number is different you will need to change it. Also notice I have " behind wav and -fps but nowhere else. Do it just like this otherwise it won't work.

Now when you use the VP6Converter it will correctly synch the audio and video file and replay it when completed.
Test Subject
#19 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 6:54 PM
I want to make a German translation of your tutorial.
Can I do that, please?
The people who read my German tutoral translation MUST download yours because they need the video conversion programs.
And I´ll tell them that you wrote this good tutorial .

Test Subject
#20 Old 3rd Dec 2010 at 4:32 AM
The channel doesn't appear in the pie menu at all! Is there a solution?
Interstellar Traveler
#21 Old 23rd Dec 2010 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vidov
how i want to get the vp6 codec? when i get into the virtual dub, and select Video>Compression, there are only Uncompress RGB, Cinepack Codec, ffdshow video codec, intel iyuv codec, microsoft rle, microsof video 1, microsoft windows media video 9, and xvis mpeg-4 codec... no vp6 codec :'-(

I am having the same problem.. and i cant find the VP6 Decoder on my computer.. even after i installed it on there.
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 15th Jan 2011 at 3:53 AM
This tutorial is great! I had trouble with the stbl stuff, until I used the stbl program which worked just fine for me. I couldn't do it manually though, I don't know why. Anyways, now my sims can watch their custom channel, it's great. I wonder how to make videos for the default channels and replace them. That's what I'd really like to do.
Test Subject
#23 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 12:44 AM
Is this Mac compatible?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 3:46 PM Last edited by Odistant : 23rd Jan 2011 at 5:37 PM.
All translations of this tutorial are welcome, no need to ask!

I will be working on a updated version of this.

mitsuhoney, I'm not sure if the programs will work with mac or not. I'll update the tutorial and hopefully have a advanced part on adding a moodlet after a certain time that your channel gives. I have already been messing around with this, but is not working the way I want too. Might be a couple days before I get it.

Also, amazing work blackg72. I will add in the credit for your find in the new tutorial, as well as try out your method!

EDIT: Updated tutorial added. I'm currently working on the Moodlet version of the tutorial, after I finish up the wiki version witch can be found here: http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?t...tom_TV_Channels
Test Subject
#25 Old 24th Jan 2011 at 2:28 PM Last edited by AAshleySEG : 24th Jan 2011 at 3:16 PM. Reason: New Information
Default Tested Out Theory
I was wondering if we have EPs installed, would we try the same route just instead of in The Sims 3 GameplayData.package, would we use the package in the respective Expansion folders. Such as The Sims 3 Late Night GameplayData.package? I know up towards the top it says everything hasn't been fully tested for EPs, I thought I would try on my own, but was wondering if I was thinking in the right direction or can something like this only be changed in the original game's package file? Thanks
I tried the above technique and this is what happened. When you click Change Channels on the TV, the channel name was blank but an extra one did appear. Then, when I clicked on that the TV turned off automatically. So I'm guessing that isn't going to work? There may also be some tweaky things that need to be done but I have no idea what those would be as I am not as familiar with all of these things as you all are. So I guess for now I am going to be on hold with this until there is some new info available. Thanks for all of your hard work as well as everyone that helped on this project.
Page 1 of 4