Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd May 2020 at 6:25 PM
Default Extract the hex codes of the default hair colors
Hey, is it possible for me to extract the hex codes of the default 8 hair colors in CAS? I am trying to get the colors, but all I'm seeing are the R, G, and B, which is hard to replicate in Photoshop, I would really just prefer the hex codes. If anyone can extract them or knows how to extract them, I would be super grateful <3
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#2 Old 3rd May 2020 at 8:54 PM Last edited by iCad : 3rd May 2020 at 9:23 PM.
I'm confused. If you have the RGB values, that's all you need. It's very easy to use Photoshop itself to find out the hex code, if for some reason you want to know what it is. Just open the color picker and plug in the RGB values (or the HSB values or the Lab values or the CMYK values) to pick the color, and it will show the hex code for the color in the same window. Like so:

I use Photoshop CS6; other versions may vary a little, but the Photoshop color picker has been essentially the same for....Well, as long as there's been Photoshop.

Alternatively, if you don't want to open up Photoshop to find a hex code but have the RGB values...The hex code is nothing but the decimal RGB values, in that order, converted to hexadecimal instead. If you're not conversant in hex, there are plenty of decimal-to-hexadecimal converters online. So if your RGB values are 54 29 157, that converts to 36 1D 9D, so the hex code would be 361D9D.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th May 2020 at 12:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I'm confused. If you have the RGB values, that's all you need. It's very easy to use Photoshop itself to find out the hex code, if for some reason you want to know what it is. Just open the color picker and plug in the RGB values (or the HSB values or the Lab values or the CMYK values) to pick the color, and it will show the hex code for the color in the same window. Like so:

I use Photoshop CS6; other versions may vary a little, but the Photoshop color picker has been essentially the same for....Well, as long as there's been Photoshop.

Alternatively, if you don't want to open up Photoshop to find a hex code but have the RGB values...The hex code is nothing but the decimal RGB values, in that order, converted to hexadecimal instead. If you're not conversant in hex, there are plenty of decimal-to-hexadecimal converters online. So if your RGB values are 54 29 157, that converts to 36 1D 9D, so the hex code would be 361D9D.

Uh, I'm trying to do it and for some reason the color looks EXTREMELY different than the one in-game. (pinkish, too bright, etc.) I don't know if it's a glitch with my Photoshop (which is working fine in everything else.)

iCad, if it's working for you, then can you please put the 8 default hair colors as hex codes? Also make sure that they match closely with the ones in game.

I really don't want to bother with trying to fix my Photoshop today, so if you could do it I would be super grateful
Undead Molten Llama
#4 Old 4th May 2020 at 12:40 AM
Assuming that your monitor is properly color-calibrated (and if you haven't done it yourself...Well, it probably isn't right because factory settings are usually crap), then a color code is a color code. If it doesn't look the same in Photoshop as it does in-game, I would say that it's due to the game's lighting as well as things that get applied in-game like, for instance, speculars. (As in, if you remove the specular from something using that mod by Velocitygrass that does that, the color suddenly looks much different, much darker.) I don't know what the game does with hair but if the colors are very off between the game and Photoshop, then it's doing SOMETHING. That being the case, if what you're doing is trying to make in Photoshop something that matches the in-game colors (which I assume is what you're doing?), then you're going to need the displayed colors with all the stuff the game applies, not the actual colors.

If I'm correct in what you're trying to do, what I'd do is take an in-game screen shot in the environment that you want because in-game colors look much different inside as opposed to outside, and they look different again between CAS and in-game. Dump the image into Photoshop. Then sample colors from the image to use in whatever you're making. When I do something like that, I take 10 or 15 samples (using the Eyedropper tool) from a small area of the image and then average each of the RGB values from the samples to get something of a composite to use as my base color and then go from there.

If, on the other hand, you're trying to make something for the game itself, then I'd go with the real colors, say a little prayer or do a ritual dance or rattle some beads or something, and then hope that once it goes into the game, then the color will be altered like everything else in your game is being altered by various things like the lighting that you're using and whatnot. But, it might not work, given the high variability this game has when it comes to displaying colors.

In short, this game doesn't display colors properly for various reasons, and depending on what you're trying to do, you'll have to do some fiddling to make things match. It's not going to be as simple as having the RGB values or hex codes. It's not at all different from making stuff for TS2, where I usually have to fiddle with materials definitions settings to get everything to display in the proper colors in game as opposed to how a texture looks in Photoshop. Roofs are the worst in that regard, but from what I've seen color-matching in TS3 is many levels worse. :p

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th May 2020 at 3:55 PM
Since you already seem to know how to get the hair color (or at least, a super similar one) from the game, then can you get the hex codes for me please? I just need the hair colors that are in the game as hex codes to use in Photoshop, without weird mumbo jumbo that I am too stupid to understand. Again, I really just need to test them out for a quick project. PLEASE.
Undead Molten Llama
#6 Old 4th May 2020 at 5:19 PM
I'm not in the game at the moment, and don't know if I will be today, but if I am, I'll get them. What color do you want out of them? The base color, I assume? Or do you want all three/four colors?

What I said still applies, though: Having the hex codes doesn't mean that the color is going to match what it looks like in-game because the game doesn't display colors the same way that Photoshop does. Photoshop displays colors properly (assuming one's monitor is properly calibrated.) In game, color display is highly variable according to lighting (both in terms of lighting mods or just whether or not the Sim is indoors or outdoors), whether or not the Sim is just in CAS or actually in-game, whether or not you use Reshade and if you do what its settings are, etc. In other words, the results may not be what you want.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th May 2020 at 12:31 AM
(I don't actually use Photoshop, I use GIMP, but I just refer to it as Photoshop for people to understand easier.)

All the default hair colors in the game. So the two reds, the two blondes, the two browns, grey, and black.

Again, I want them to look similar to what they look like in game.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 5th May 2020 at 12:34 AM
If you have the RGB decimals then go to https://www.colorhexa.com/ or any other such site and input the RGB decimal as instructed. When the page comes up, it will show various information including the HEX triplet.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition (Hard Mode: Y!? All side missions and Riddler trophies/riddles/physical challenges completed in the main campaign.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham Knight
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th May 2020 at 12:40 AM
Yeah, typing them in shows that the color looks nothing what it looks like in the original game.
Undead Molten Llama
#10 Old 5th May 2020 at 2:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by redandvidya
Yeah, typing them in shows that the color looks nothing what it looks like in the original game.

*sigh* I'm really not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm perhaps a bit cranky so apologies in advance, but....

YES, EXACTLY! Because, as I've said, image editors do not, can not, and never will display colors the same way as a game does. Games involve lighting. Lighting drastically changes how colors look, even in real life. As an example, if you are wearing a bright red shirt inside your house at night and then you go outside and hike away from your house until there's nothing but ambient lighting from the moon and stars, your bright red shirt is going to look a lot different than it looked inside your house, even though the color of it is exactly the same. The difference is the lighting and the way your eyes perceive color under different lighting conditions. That's what I've been trying to say. Games like TS3 have environments. Image editors do not. Proper, accurate color display in an image editor is extremely important for various reasons. In a game, proper color representation is not important AT ALL, ever.

I will get you the hex codes the next time I'm in the game, if you like. It won't be for a while because I've been up for about 39 hours now (hence the crankiness) and need to try to get some sleep rather than playing a game. (Stupid insomnia! ) But like I've said, this will NOT guarantee that the colors will match what you see in the game. There's nothing mystical about Photoshop -- my personal installation of it or in general -- that can magically adjust colors to compensate for a specific game's environment. The hex codes that I give you will be no different than the ones you can get by pulling the RGB values out of TS3 and converting them to hex yourself. So, no, they will not match what you see in game. At all.

That color matching will be something you will have to do in your own image editor, and it will require eyeballing as you make whatever it is you're making. This will involve trial-and-error between GIMP and the game to get it looking right. If you are a perfectionist like I tend to be, it will likely require quite a bit of trial-and-error. I've spent HOURS on a single object getting colors to display properly in TS2. I suggest being/getting really comfortable with adjustment layers (or whatever the equivalent is in GIMP; I haven't used that very much) as well as anything in the .package file that controls how the color display is affected in the game. For TS2 objects, this would be material definitions or TXMTs, but I have no idea what that would be for TS3 objects as I've never created anything for TS3 and have never looked at the guts of any package file except for lighting mods. For hair for either game...I have no idea.

If you're putting TS3 hair colors on TS2 hairs, as I'm suspecting you're wanting to do based on the fact that you create for TS2...Well, heaven help you because TS2's lighting is completely different from TS3's, not to mention the fact that TS3 hairs work completely differently. For instance, a TS3 hair color consists of a base color, a root color, a highlight color, and sometimes a different tip color. These three or four colors visually blend to affect how the colors look together on a hair in TS3 in a way that just doesn't happen in TS2. Then, in TS3, there is apparently something called "controls" that further affect how the color/texture appears in-game. So all that being said...prepare for lots of eyeballing, lots of adjustment layers on your base texture that you can tweak as needed, and lots of going back and forth between GIMP and the game. I can pretty much guarantee that it will not be as simple as applying a color to a texture. If this is what you're planning to do, all I can say is...Good luck.

Forum Resident
#11 Old 5th May 2020 at 2:34 AM
Base game hair colors, if I remember correctly, are all different RGB codes as in roots, base, highlights and tips. But I guess you are using the base. In any case there may not be an accurate display of the color between the game and elsewhere despite being the same exact RGB/HEX. TS3 might use shaders, etc in a way that makes color more vibrant.

This is a custom hair color I found online called Light Auburn.

This is what it looks like on colorhexa.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition (Hard Mode: Y!? All side missions and Riddler trophies/riddles/physical challenges completed in the main campaign.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham Knight
Alchemist
#12 Old 10th May 2020 at 4:13 PM
In short, the eye textures have a lot to do with it too. Some are brighter, EA's are fairly dark (that's why all the default colors are so bright, to compensate).

Your best bet is either to get the RGB codes, like iCad pointed out (which gives you the "pure" color), or take a screencap, open it in Photoshop or another graphics program and use the eyedropper tool to get your color like that (which is more visually accurate).

Edit: same goes for the hair textures. Some hairstyles have - for some reason - brighter speculars (textures that dictate the shininess of the hair) than others. Not to account for retextured hairs, where each retexturer tends to use their own textures.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!