Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 1:11 PM Last edited by Kitteeeh : 9th Jun 2020 at 1:23 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Installed patches, Sims are gone?
Hello ! So it's me again. I installed the patches from here : http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...p:TS2%20Patches and installed the proper ones (CD or DVD) but now when I enter a lot all my Sims are gone including all their furniture. Just the walls, fences and roofs remain. Luckily, I have a recent back-up so even if I do have to re-install my game I can just pop them back in but I'm wondering if I can fix this without having to do that. Thank you !

EDIT: It turns out it's just one household.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 1:24 PM
That's extremely odd.

Normally you should patch after installing onto the vanilla game, so no downloads and before you paste your neighbourhood folder in. Since you have a back up put that back in. The patches patch the installation files.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 1:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
That's extremely odd.

Normally you should patch after installing onto the vanilla game, so no downloads and before you paste your neighbourhood folder in. Since you have a back up put that back in. The patches patch the installation files.

Oh gosh I wish I had known that

Luckily it only seems to be one household but I don't want to lose them so I'll have to go with the back-up. Thanks !
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 2:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kitteeeh
Oh gosh I wish I had known that

Luckily it only seems to be one household but I don't want to lose them so I'll have to go with the back-up. Thanks !

But even so, that isn't some known result, people have patched successfully with sims and downloads in, but vanilla is ideal. The same way that installing in order is ideal but it can and has been done out of order without anything happening.

I'm wondering about your anti-virus, is it set to ignore all sims 2 files and so the patches? Just wondering if it tried to intervene. Antivirus programs have been known to mess up the game. I had it myself some computer's back. It made all babies disappear and caused corruption to sims ageing up.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 3:52 PM
But even so, that isn't some known result, people have patched successfully with sims and downloads in, but vanilla is ideal. The same way that installing in order is ideal but it can and has been done out of order without anything happening.

I'm wondering about your anti-virus, is it set to ignore all sims 2 files and so the patches? Just wondering if it tried to intervene. Antivirus programs have been known to mess up the game. I had it myself some computer's back. It made all babies disappear and caused corruption to sims ageing up.

That may be the case, actually. When installing the patches, my computer did block the publisher a few times but I manually unblocked it. It also did this with Kitchen & Bath Stuff when I installed it a week or so ago, but again I manually unblocked it. If my antivirus was blocking it, I wouldn't know how to find it out as I'm not very good at computers ! If it helps, my antivirus is the one built in with Windows.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kitteeeh
That may be the case, actually. When installing the patches, my computer did block the publisher a few times but I manually unblocked it. It also did this with Kitchen & Bath Stuff when I installed it a week or so ago, but again I manually unblocked it. If my antivirus was blocking it, I wouldn't know how to find it out as I'm not very good at computers ! If it helps, my antivirus is the one built in with Windows.

Just Window defender? That's not very good, you want something better than that.

To set it up so it stops looking at Sims 2 or any other files that you don't want it to check. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-...antivirus-scans

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Jun 2020 at 10:23 AM
Just Window defender? That's not very good, you want something better than that.

To set it up so it stops looking at Sims 2 or any other files that you don't want it to check. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-...antivirus-scans

Oh, I didn't know it was that bad ! It's done a good job for me and I've had it for a while now. But thanks for the link, I've just set it to ignore all Sims 2 files. Thanks so much for the help Jo !