Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#26 Old 4th Jul 2020 at 11:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
Given your son's reading ability and his age, consider disabling internet on the computer when he uses it. I have six kids, 5-17. The likelihood of him finding stuff you really don't want him finding is quite high. My younger ones are never allowed to use internet capable devices without an adult close enough to see what they are doing, but that's not an option for everyone all the time. I've taken the router with me before, as a way to disable internet with no adults around.

At that age, they're simply lacking judgement and experience to make uniformly good internet usage choices, and there are Sims sites where I wouldn't want a five-year-old.

This game is rated T for Teen for a reason. I think if he wants to play a sims game that maybe sims 4 would be more suitable.
I did vaguely hear of a mod that stops a lot of the romance socials between sims 2 sims but I have no idea where that is.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#27 Old 5th Jul 2020 at 5:54 PM
I actually downloaded a mod that hides the WooHoo interactions.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#28 Old 5th Jul 2020 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SloveneBanana87
I actually downloaded a mod that hides the WooHoo interactions.

There are a lot more actions that just that one. Sims 2 is far more risque than sims 4. It's also prone to easy corruption.
But if you want him to play it then you will have to teach him what not to touch or do.
No moving sims in houses into the bin, no moving sims between hoods, no deleting sims, no using Boolprop. If boolprop was off there would be no option to make Universals selectable unless you have a mod for it, which I would remove.
The new UI removes the bin that lets you delete sims so you might want to look into that as well.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#29 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 11:01 AM
I already have done all those things, but, he can use the testingcheats.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 11:07 AM
I already have done all those things, but, he can use the testingcheats.

There are a few things in testing cheats that can corrupt the hood or the game.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#31 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 11:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
There are a few things in testing cheats that can corrupt the hood or the game.

I know that very well, but I installed mods that hide those options.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#32 Old 16th Jul 2020 at 12:03 PM
Sorry for the double post but it's been a while. One of my friends in around 2010's neighbourhoods began imploding with weird stuff which is possibly linked to corruption.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#33 Old 16th Jul 2020 at 1:46 PM
Get them to make a backup and run Hood Checker.

Make sure they have all the anti corruption mods and know all the ways the hood can be corrupted.

If the hood are the pre-made hoods, they come corrupted already.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#34 Old 16th Jul 2020 at 4:17 PM
Well, I believe the thing that happened was that he used a gun mod to shoot and kill a neighbourhood NPC like a Social Worker.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#35 Old 16th Jul 2020 at 11:28 PM
That would do it. Don't touch the social worker. That could cause game corruption not just hood corruption. Hope their object packages are read-only or it might need a reinstall.
The SW can be modded out, much safer.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 17th Jul 2020 at 3:24 AM
deleting a tombstone can apparently cause corruption too. i used to do this a lot as a kid and never saw any damage to my game but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen. i wouldnt risk it.

22. male. he/him. autistic.
REST IN PEACE JOTARO KUJO. JUNE 2020 - JANUARY 2021.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#37 Old 17th Jul 2020 at 5:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zystem
deleting a tombstone can apparently cause corruption too. i used to do this a lot as a kid and never saw any damage to my game but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen. i wouldnt risk it.

That is what No Unlink on delete is for, the game can delete them randomly as well. http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=2083.0

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#38 Old 18th Jul 2020 at 1:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zystem
deleting a tombstone can apparently cause corruption too.
Yes, but only that one neighborhood. OP's asking about things that can corrupt the game installation itself, perhaps to the point of needing an uninstall/reinstall (okay, perhaps not "needing" one, but that is the most straightforward approach to fixing such corruption).

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!
Quote:
"Ew, trees [WooHoo-ing]."

-- "Oral Pollination", Not Always Right
Test Subject
Original Poster
#39 Old 18th Jul 2020 at 1:37 PM
You can reinstall to a corrupted game since a corrupted version may be left behind in the registry.

Also, joandsarah77, he used a gun mod to kill her because he was trying out the mod, it wasn't like a kid was being taken away and he wanted to stop her.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#40 Old 22nd Jul 2020 at 9:01 PM
Double post once again, but it's ok because they are days apart. Can the Sims Stories games get corruption too?

Please, just call me Matej.
Scholar
#41 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 4:06 PM
Well, I believe the thing that happened was that he used a gun mod to shoot and kill a neighbourhood NPC like a Social Worker.

Social Workers are game generated from a template so they have their own character file, they are not Unique NPCs. Killing them won't cause corruption.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 25th Jul 2020 at 3:43 PM
In the years of playing the game.

Excluding the obvious CC conflicts

The 2 critical corruptions I'm familiar with.

(1) [Unfixable] Bringing an occupied lot from another neighbourhood. - [Side effects] [Ageing to a specific age, commonly Teen to adult will crash the game. In addition, it leaves an unfinished tag due to the crash in the Neighbourhood that corrupts the game globally. Which is weird because even neighbours that have never met this person will still be contagious to the corruption, it's some sort of tag each individual has.]

(2) [Fixable] Having a family with a specific NPC. - [Side effects] [If a CPU controlled neighbour visits a lot or community area, the game crashes, This also occurs if there's a duplicate skin and default replacement conflicts with a different name given to it, generally the blend skins. By removing the default replacement or skin duplicate will default the individual to the hierarchy default replacement.]

The safest way to check new neighbours in lots, is to use the Batman box.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#43 Old 27th Jul 2020 at 2:01 PM
Does Sims Stories games get corruption too?

Mad Poster
#44 Old 27th Jul 2020 at 2:50 PM
I'd think the same or similar things that cause corruption in TS2 also cause corruption in the Stories games, because while they are different games they technically are based on the same game, so the differences aren't huge.

Also, trying to port files between the games, either from TS2 to one of the Stories games, or between Pets/Life/Castaways probably will cause corruption and other problems (or at least doing it in all the wrong ways - there are some ways that kind of work, but it has to be done properly and safely).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#45 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 7:31 PM
The manual for the base game actually tells you to put an occupied lot in the bin and move it to another neighbourhood if you want to move your Sims cross-neighbourhood which is disgusting. Also, are the Pets occupied lots in the bin safe to use? I believe they might be because of being created using internal developer tools and not made in the game.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#46 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 11:50 PM
The manual for the base game actually tells you to put an occupied lot in the bin and move it to another neighbourhood if you want to move your Sims cross-neighbourhood which is disgusting. Also, are the Pets occupied lots in the bin safe to use? I believe they might be because of being created using internal developer tools and not made in the game.

yes, I can believe they would, maxis probably didn't know when they gave these buttons and EA never removed corrupting ways from the game because they don't care.
The two pre made families are safe.
of course be sure you have all patches when on disks, without the patches the Ottomus and Critters came corrupt.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#47 Old 12th Aug 2020 at 9:01 PM
Sorry to necropost, but I know Sims 3 and 4 CAN get "corruption" which is actually just caused from messing around with mods to do stuff in the game that shouldn't be possible and "breaking the game" for that save so it doesn't run properly and implodes with weird stuff.

Mad Poster
#48 Old 12th Aug 2020 at 9:24 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 12th Aug 2020 at 11:02 PM.
My TS3 saves would frequently get corrupted (unplayable) even in a no-CC game, and the sims would get borked if you looked at them wrong. I think that game probably needed various mods to keep stable. Most of the time nothing out of the ordinary had happened, and trying to reset a sim who was buggy would almost certainly cause some kind of corruption (unlike TS2 where it usually resets minor bugs without any problems).

(Then again, TS2 may need a few player-made mods to stabilize too, but it's never been as unstable as TS3 is out of the box - most of the time you have to actually do something in TS2 to cause bugs, and you usually have some knowledge of what you've done - AKA "I did X and now Y is happening, halp plz?").

For TS4, patches and new packs tend to wreck havoc on CC-heavy games (of course they did so in TS2 too back in the days, but with the extreme frequency of packs and patches in TS4 you almost can't keep up with mod updates). However, I've kept my game very expansion-light, CC-light and relatively mod-free, so I've only had a few issues (mostly bugs introduced with EPs and patches - because EA still have a tendency to make more bugs than they fix... but nothing like TS3).
Field Researcher
#49 Old 12th Aug 2020 at 9:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
EA still have a tendency to make more bugs than they fix...

Absolutely true!

From now on I'm just a lurker, the sad truth about the Orwellian status of the sims community is not "off-topic" neither is "politics".
Check part of my current (non sims) creations at my J.R.'s Angels page
Test Subject
Original Poster
#50 Old 13th Aug 2020 at 1:26 PM
I have all the packs for 4, but I play on console so I've never used mods or CC since you can't get it. I remember the patch in June that was causing saves to not function properly after it was installed. Because they added descriptions to ALL worlds.

Page 2 of 2