Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2007 at 1:52 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default Game crash
I have just started to get very sinister and frequent crashes in my game. I have read through the FAQ.

My game has just recently started crashing for no reason at all, and I have tested with a clean folder and the game still crashes... However it is very hard to test because my game doesn't crash at a specific point.. Ok when it does crash it crashes when exiting a lot to go to the neighborhood screen, but it happens at random times. My downloads are all just genetics and clothes no hacks or objects, and I have had these exact same downloads for ages and had no crashing in the past.

I would like to post an error report and my computer has higher specs than the minimum game specifications, I have all ep's up to OFB, but I will be getting the latest 2 ep's soon...
Attached files:
File Type: zip  The Sims 2.crash.log.zip (20.9 KB, 37 downloads) - View custom content

Ah a Biscuit! It all makes sense
Advertisement
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Jun 2007 at 3:48 PM Last edited by Canoodle : 19th Jun 2007 at 5:50 PM.
Since you have determined that the problem does not lie in your user files, the next step is the dreaded uninstall/reinstall. backup your sims2 folder before the uninstall.
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?..._Help:Uninstall
Remember to patch your games after the reinstall.

If it continues to crash, then you have to look to your computer for the source of the crashing. http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...:System_Checkup

It could be any number of hardware/software issues. From dust build up, a dying hard drive, faulty or dying RAM, loose/bad connectors etc. The fact that it's so random may point to a hardware problem.

ETA: if someone wants to interpret the error log..have at it. I am not adept at error log interpretation. ;)

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jun 2007 at 6:04 PM
Thank you, I will try re-installng its no biggie since I always have to do it for some reason or another, I just need the password...

Moderator of Please Read the Help FAQs
retired moderator
#4 Old 19th Jun 2007 at 6:51 PM
Password? Do you mean cd key that's on the packaging for the disks?

Please do not PM me with Game or Site Help questions. Post them in the appropriate section after going through the FAQs.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." ~ Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jun 2007 at 8:01 PM
No I need an administrator password to make changes to the system files since I am re-installing the game I need to make changes to them, I am not the administrator of the computer my dad is so I need his password. OOOPS I have just noticed that I am an absolute clown and I have posted this in the PC section not the macs, you see installing and un-installing the game and installing it is different on the macs, you cannot just right click on the game and click un-install, you must delete everything apart from your user files if you wish to keep them...

don't worry I am not using a no CD crack or anything like that

Moderator of Please Read the Help FAQs
retired moderator
#6 Old 19th Jun 2007 at 10:40 PM
I didn't think you were using a crack Biscuit but I had to check Do you want this moved to the Mac section of Help?

Please do not PM me with Game or Site Help questions. Post them in the appropriate section after going through the FAQs.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." ~ Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Jun 2007 at 10:10 AM
Yes please julianarosalia thankyou for the help

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#8 Old 20th Jun 2007 at 1:29 PM
Hey Biscuit ~ you have the iMac G5, and it looks like the ATI 9700 card? Is it intel? And are you making movies at the time? It looks like its crashing using Quicktime, and I thought that making movies used that. Otherwise you may just need to be patched, which Aspyr in its infinite wisdom decided not to patch OFB by itself.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Jun 2007 at 3:42 PM
I have the ATI Radeon X600 and it isn't an intel, and It was loading the neighborhood when it happened, I have regenerated the preference files and it seems to work now but I can't really say since I have not really played on it much yet, The game once crashed whilst changing screen resolution and the data for that is kept in the preference file? So it may have got corrupt!!

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 7:04 PM
Doing the reinstall now, because it is still crashing even with new preference files, I looked in the log and it is saying something about Radeon 9700 drivers, but thats not the card I have?!?!

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#11 Old 22nd Jun 2007 at 2:25 AM
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 22nd Jun 2007 at 6:03 AM
I've had the game crash a few times without explaination, and I had to reinstall several times as well. I don't know if this will help, but I found that if I leave the disc in the drive for too long it messes with something on the mac. Ever since the last incident I eject the disc and re-dock (term?) it at least once a week. I haven't had a problem with crashing.

However I've also I've had troubles with loading (seems like a separate issue but it's not really) and closing unexpectedly. It turned out that itunes was resetting the audio output (needs to be set to 44100.0 Hz for the game to work.) It's related because I always check after I play tunes and want to play Sims2 and so I knew the setting was correct when I began playing and had changed while I was playing the game!

Hope I helped someone.

BTW: You can set the audio output in the Audio Midi Setup window found in your Applications > Utilities folder on your main hard drive.
Instructor
#13 Old 22nd Jun 2007 at 10:02 AM
That's really odd, because the Radeon X600 IS a supported card, it's listed in the video cards.sgr file. Do you have 128 meg or more of video ram? If not, you may be defaulting to the 9700 settings (MediumButDefaultLow) for the game. What screen resolutions do you have available in game?

And do the memory tests.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 22nd Jun 2007 at 11:23 AM Last edited by biscuit-the-great : 22nd Jun 2007 at 11:46 AM.
I will post a screenstot of all my default settings.

My graphics card is 128 MB

BTW I have looked at my audio MIDI settings and they are set correctly I think?
Screenshots

Field Researcher
#15 Old 22nd Jun 2007 at 5:31 PM
Just curious Biscuit, why do you play with such a lo-res setting for the monitor? Seems like your Mac could handle better than that.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd Jun 2007 at 7:59 PM
That is the default settings I have them all alot higher really. I set my resolution the 4th option.