Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#76 Old 21st May 2019 at 2:01 PM
Yeah, exactly. Put it in once place so the rest of us don't have to read about it all day long.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#77 Old 27th May 2019 at 12:30 PM
Oh righteous Savior! Please rapture us from the plague that is ts3 lag! I repent my sins, I shall never download a thousand script mods or high poly cc hair ever again!

In all seriousness, congrats on your find. It's so amazing to see people still improve the game after all this time. I'm so excited!
Mad Poster
#78 Old 27th May 2019 at 3:19 PM
The problem with this tool is that I'm going to end up rubbing it in people's faces everytime someone mentions TS3 being laggy.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#79 Old 28th May 2019 at 7:48 AM
*groan*
I had a nice and long reply written out, before the page suddenly reloaded, so I'll keep it short.
I'm working on a heckton more optimized version from scratch. A lot of the old code was bloated and redundant because I was literally learning how TS3 files worked as I created the tool. The code included wondrous gems such as reading the entire file into memory before actually doing any processing leading to up to 3GB of memory on one file by the end. It would even reach around 12-ish gigs of ram if I used multithreading to process multiple files. A lot of the stuff was also in one function too, which is terrible for maintainable software.
Mad Poster
#80 Old 28th May 2019 at 11:24 AM
Yeah that sounds pretty serious....might be better to redo the whole thing then. I also have that thing where I can't tolerate my past work being lower quality than my current work, and redoing all of it just to satisfy my current standard. As always, keep us posted.

insert signature here
Space Pony
#81 Old 28th May 2019 at 2:55 PM
This is magic
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#82 Old 30th May 2019 at 10:12 AM
Just posting a quick update. Apparently streaming the file is much faster than reading the whole file into memory before actually being able to do anything. I've sped up the reading index entries code from 2.6 seconds to 0.32(!) seconds. That's an 8x speedup, and we don't even need to store the whole file in memory anymore! This should reduce memory usage significantly.

I'm quite pleased for the work I've done today.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#83 Old 31st May 2019 at 10:22 AM
While the rebuild is in progress, I don't believe I've actually said that the tool appears to be compatible (although with some minor changes) with TS2. Haven't tested it properly yet though. It's too early to say if it'll have the same performance gains like it did with TS3 and TS4.

Here's a lovely (horribly broken!) screenshot of Mortimer Goth contemplating why he exists.

Mad Poster
#84 Old 31st May 2019 at 6:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmythesim
*groan*
I had a nice and long reply written out, before the page suddenly reloaded, so I'll keep it short.

Hahah, happens to me too. Usually, I just rage drop on rewriting my thoughts again and wish there was a auto-save feature where certain forums have it

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Field Researcher
#86 Old 1st Jun 2019 at 9:30 AM Last edited by Giga : 1st Jun 2019 at 10:26 AM.
simmythesim, by any chance, is this tool eliminating duplicates and corrupt files in the installation folder? So you don't have to manually compare the files in dashboard and S3PE which can get really annoying when you got all EPs? I was planning on doing this manually once exams are over but if this tool does what I think it does, yay

edit: I'd like to record my game before this tool and after. Currently my game loads in 1min 15s (All EP's, weeks-long sunset valley save, 1GB CC + reshade). I don't feel like I have lag and CASt stuff loads pretty fast too I think, but I'd still like to compare footage of the game. Any recommendations for software?
Mad Poster
#87 Old 2nd Jun 2019 at 5:48 AM
Is the tool usable only for SSDs?

I wonder if there might be any way of improving performances on normal disk drives?
Field Researcher
#88 Old 2nd Jun 2019 at 9:17 AM
If I have understood correctly (mind you, I might be completely wrong here). Your hardware isn't going to matter. It is simply going to compare the different fullbuild etc large game files and find all the ones have corrupted or duplicate data. Kinda like Delphys dashboard with CC but it also automatically fixes it.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#89 Old 2nd Jun 2019 at 9:34 AM
Nah, it's not like that. Although the original reason why I did this was to simply merge the FullBuilds and the DeltaBuilds, I discovered something else entirely in the process.
Anyway, I've done the actual data writing stuff, all I need to do is to create the code for writing out the new index headers so the game actually knows which data is where. Give me three days to a week. Should be done by then! :p
Field Researcher
#90 Old 2nd Jun 2019 at 9:47 AM
Oh cool, So it doesn't remove duplicates and corrupted files? Should I do that first and then run your program?

Very exciting!
Theorist
#91 Old 3rd Jun 2019 at 7:49 PM
So we should be able to use both techniques hopefully to streamline the game even more hopefully?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Field Researcher
#92 Old 11th Jun 2019 at 6:34 AM
What's all this talk about duplicates and corrupt files? Never heard of this.
Field Researcher
#94 Old 11th Jun 2019 at 9:22 AM
Basically, when you patch or add an EP there are some game files that need to be updated. Unfortunately, it's imperfect and some duplicate and corrupted files are born. Just like if you get corrupted CC, or CC that conflicts with each other, the loading of the game slows down and some issues might occur during gameplay too
Mad Poster
#95 Old 13th Jun 2019 at 1:38 PM
I'm pretty sure that's a bit of design left over from TS1......in the category "it worked back then, why come up with something new?". Kind of like the UI, the DLC system, and frankly 75% of the actual gameplay. Then again, they tried to change everything for TS4 and it ended up being......TS4. And under the hood it's still the same game, just worse.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#96 Old 13th Jun 2019 at 3:14 PM
And is there a tutorial or anything out there so we can get rid of those duplicates and corrupted files?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#97 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 4:34 PM
Two weeks later....

I sure love finding out that I have arthritis! The past two weeks have been a pain for me.

Anyway, some good news! I'm done programming each part of the process down, now there's one part dedicated to reading package files, one for converting them, and one for writing them to a new package.

Since I programmed each of these parts in isolation, that means that each part has been tested quite well, and changing one part doesn't affect the rest as long as it produces the same output.

What I'm doing right now is combining these parts into a single converter program that reads, processes, and writes the package files. It's quite easy! It just takes time.

After that, it'll be off to release!
Mad Poster
#98 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 5:01 PM
Good thing I ran into some final troubles with my episode, then. Your release might line right up with me starting recording on ep03, especially if you take your time and I decide to do all my set building up front.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#99 Old 15th Jun 2019 at 7:19 AM
Oh no, I hope you feel better! My uncle has it and acupuncture has helped him a bit. Very excited to hear the progress, keep us posted !
Test Subject
#100 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 10:22 AM
I'll be honest, I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for this utility. I've never really been able to get into the Sims 3 as much as the Sims 2 and a big art of this is because of how laggy it is (and my PC runs other "heavy" games fine !).
Page 4 of 14