Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 9:04 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default 4GB patch instantly deleted, computer says it's a TROJAN
Hello, so I've been trying to get the UC to run on my Windows 10 computer and I've seen that the 4GB patch seems to be one of the major things you need to fix, but as soon as I patch my TS9.exe the program is DELETED by my antivirus program saying it's a TROJAN. I tried turning the antivirus off as I patch it and then it seems to work (I get Memory: 4096MB but Free memory: 2288MB or other number, never at 4096) but not fully. Then the antivirus program deletes it sooner or later anyway... What can I do? Is there a way to mark the patch as OK so my computer doesn't delete it or IS IT an actual TROJAN?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 9:34 PM
Your anti-virus should have some way to mark files as exempt so that it will leave them alone. Which anti-virus do you have? Someone here probably uses the same one and will be able to advise you how to set files and folders as exempt.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 9:40 PM
Your "TS9.exe" or your "Sims2EP9.exe" file?

You may want to try copying the file to your desktop, apply the fix, and then let it replace the old file in Program Files. Sometimes, antivirus programs get a little jumpy when you try modifying files in Program Files because they think it's malware trying to change files.

Which antivirus do you have? Some tend to be a little too jumpy regarding false positives. You may need to excempt the entire folder in the EAGames (or Origin/TS2UC) folder in Program Files.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 10:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Your "TS9.exe" or your "Sims2EP9.exe" file?

You may want to try copying the file to your desktop, apply the fix, and then let it replace the old file in Program Files. Sometimes, antivirus programs get a little jumpy when you try modifying files in Program Files because they think it's malware trying to change files.

Which antivirus do you have? Some tend to be a little too jumpy regarding false positives. You may need to excempt the entire folder in the EAGames (or Origin/TS2UC) folder in Program Files.

I have F-Secure, and it made no difference if I patched it on the desktop. It's the .exe to run the program, SIMS2EP9.exe
I'll try allowing the patch in the antivirus program, but I'm a bit anxious to why it says TROJAN.TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 10:48 PM
OK I fixed the virus alert and patched the file again. Memory says 4096 but Free memory is still nowhere near it, now it was 2684. Why? I tried putting the .exe in the CSBin but then Origin doesn't find it and I have to reinstall the program meaning there is a new unpatched .exe in the TSBin, so I'm getting nowhere.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 11:13 PM
Make sure you are using the correct 4 GB patch since there may be others floating around. Set your antivirus to ignore all sims 2 files.

if Free memory is not showing at 4096 then the patch is not working. You didn't try playing in compatibility mode? Because that will break it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#7 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 11:39 PM
If "free memory" is the second number on the log's list (I can't remember and I'm not on my Simming computer to look), then it can actually be lower than 4096 and the patch is still working. It will depend on if you're also running a program that uses the same resources as the game. For instance, when I'm creating something and I'm running SimPE and then I load up the game to test whatever it is I'm making without exiting SimPE, when I look at the log, the second number on the list is lower than 4096. But if I'm not running SimPE when I start the game, then the second number is 4096. So, if you're doing something similar, then you're OK. If not, then the patch probably isn't working. Regardless, the first number on the list should always be 4096 if the patch is working.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 11:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Make sure you are using the correct 4 GB patch since there may be others floating around. Set your antivirus to ignore all sims 2 files.

if Free memory is not showing at 4096 then the patch is not working. You didn't try playing in compatibility mode? Because that will break it.

I haven't tweaked anything about compatibility, should I?
Do I have to fix the memory allocation fix? I can play pretty OK, or, not really, it goes slowly every 30 seconds or so, so could be my computer just working 100% then? Right now I have the patch (from NTCORE), graphic rules, mods and cc, I put shadow and light to medium and took the smooth edges to "More" to stop the flickering.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 12:19 AM
No don't, I am saying setting compatibility will take the patch off.

Did you go through the video in the sticky thread?

Memory and free memory need to read 4096MB. 2288MB indicates that it isn't working.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 1:24 PM Last edited by matildrao : 2nd Jul 2019 at 6:44 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
No don't, I am saying setting compatibility will take the patch off.

Did you go through the video in the sticky thread?

Memory and free memory need to read 4096MB. 2288MB indicates that it isn't working.

If you're refering to Jessas video, yes I have seen it a few times, I have not done the memory allocation thing, and moving the patched .exe to CSBin only deletes my game from Origin meaning I have to download it again, so I don't think it works for UC/Origin versions.

EDIT: It's the same issue as here https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/co..._the_4gb_patch/ (User BBQ_HaX0r) but I am having a hard time finding fixes
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 2:44 PM
I tried running the game without the Download folder (no saved sim folder), but the game still freezes while playing. So I tried to hide the user files and test a fresh version, but it STILL freezes. According to the Game problem process the problem is the patch, and I am STUCK. Memory is fixed, but not free memory.
Scholar
#12 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 3:54 PM
GPU: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6569
I seriously advise to use manual approach.
"4GB patch" or LAA patch:
Antivirus may recognise as "virus" the program because it's changing a flag bit in other executable (namely: LAA flag in the 1st 256 bytes of the file header), it's false positive. Hovewer if the AV recognise patched executable (sims2 exe) as "virus" after the patch something is wrong.

In general: applying the patch in the folder where you have full rights is advised (like ~\My Documents, ~\Downloads, or ~\Desktop), because if you do this in other place you may meet problems, which is expected and it's absolutely OK. You should not mess with the folders where you do not have full rights to do so (like \Program Files etc.). Windows permissions model is quite sophisticated (if not convoluted) so do not be confused that you for example cannot directly change a bit in file in folder but you can move it elsewhere and back. It's Windows. Mess is something to be expected.

You can apply the flag manually, by any file header editor. Including hex ones. In Windows I usually used CFF Explorer [ https://ntcore.com/?page_id=388 ] because it's easy and I'm lazy.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 4:29 PM Last edited by matildrao : 2nd Jul 2019 at 5:28 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
GPU: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6569
I seriously advise to use manual approach.
"4GB patch" or LAA patch:
Antivirus may recognise as "virus" the program because it's changing a flag bit in other executable (namely: LAA flag in the 1st 256 bytes of the file header), it's false positive. Hovewer if the AV recognise patched executable (sims2 exe) as "virus" after the patch something is wrong.

In general: applying the patch in the folder where you have full rights is advised (like ~\My Documents, ~\Downloads, or ~\Desktop), because if you do this in other place you may meet problems, which is expected and it's absolutely OK. You should not mess with the folders where you do not have full rights to do so (like \Program Files etc.). Windows permissions model is quite sophisticated (if not convoluted) so do not be confused that you for example cannot directly change a bit in file in folder but you can move it elsewhere and back. It's Windows. Mess is something to be expected.

You can apply the flag manually, by any file header editor. Including hex ones. In Windows I usually used CFF Explorer [ https://ntcore.com/?page_id=388 ] because it's easy and I'm lazy.

Could you dumb this down for me? I opened the .exe in CFF Explorer, now what? [EDIT: the box for App can handle >2GB address space was already ticked!] Should I try another patch? The -CPUCount:1 did nothing.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
If "free memory" is the second number on the log's list (I can't remember and I'm not on my Simming computer to look), then it can actually be lower than 4096 and the patch is still working. It will depend on if you're also running a program that uses the same resources as the game. For instance, when I'm creating something and I'm running SimPE and then I load up the game to test whatever it is I'm making without exiting SimPE, when I look at the log, the second number on the list is lower than 4096. But if I'm not running SimPE when I start the game, then the second number is 4096. So, if you're doing something similar, then you're OK. If not, then the patch probably isn't working. Regardless, the first number on the list should always be 4096 if the patch is working.

The only things running are Chrome and Origin... :/
Undead Molten Llama
#15 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 6:57 PM Last edited by iCad : 2nd Jul 2019 at 7:09 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by matildrao
The only things running are Chrome and Origin... :/

Then something is going wrong somewhere, I think. (Unless it's Origin that's doing it? I don't play TS2 through Origin, myself. But I think if Origin did affect things this way, people would've noticed and mentioned it by now, and I've not seen anyone saying something like that, so....)

Anyway, for making TS2 (or any other 32-bit program, for that matter) large-address-aware using CFF Explorer follow this tutorial: https://lifasims.livejournal.com/3738.html It's short, almost all pictures, and its entertaining, to boot. And when you get to the step where you click the box to make the program LAA and it's already checked, then...Well, you'll know you have different problem going on.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 7:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Then something is going wrong somewhere, I think.

For making TS2 large-address-aware using CFF Explorer follow this tutorial: https://lifasims.livejournal.com/3738.html It's short, almost all pictures, and its entertaining, to boot.

I did open CFF Explorer and the >2GB is already ticked, so it must be applied? In the comments on Jessas video, there is a thread for UC (by Josie Lyon) and making it work, where they say you have to do this with the CFF Explorer, and they say only memory has to be 4096, free memory doesn't seem important? I restarted the computer after updating windows and apps and it seems like the game ran smoother, free memory was almost at 3000, but that was before I opened chrome so we'll see if it continues...
Undead Molten Llama
#17 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 7:12 PM
I did open CFF Explorer and the >2GB is already ticked, so it must be applied? In the comments on Jessas video, there is a thread for UC (by Josie Lyon) and making it work, where they say you have to do this with the CFF Explorer, and they say only memory has to be 4096, free memory doesn't seem important? I restarted the computer after updating windows and apps and it seems like the game ran smoother, free memory was almost at 3000, but that was before I opened chrome so we'll see if it continues...

Hah, I edited my reply while you were posting this, I think.

So yes, your patch is applied and I, personally, believe that free memory can be variable, so long as the total available memory is recognized as 4096. That said, a low amount of free memory can cause problems in that if it runs out your game will still crash. It will just be because it's out of RAM, though, not because it can't access more than 2GB of RAM. In my experience, though, it's hard to make TS2 do that, even with huge, heavily populated neighborhoods. 2.3GB of free memory is more than enough to play TS2. Or TS3, for that matter, which is another 32-bit game. So if your game is still crashing, then this is not the reason why.

Forum Resident
#18 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 7:22 PM Last edited by HobbesED : 2nd Jul 2019 at 7:38 PM.
If CFF shows >2GB already checked, then the patch is applied. All the other way does is make it simpler for people who don't feel comfortable with CFF explorer. I was running with TS2 being large address space aware via changing the executable in CFF explorer for years before I ever heard of the 4GB patch here. You might also consider running CFF explorer to make the BodyShop executable large address space aware as well if you use BodyShop very often.

You'd mentioned that your graphics card isn't recognized in the database. By itself, that doesn't necessarily mean anything bad. If you aren't having graphics issues, then it isn't a big deal. Again, I ran for years without mine being recognized. And for me the Graphics Rules program didn't work properly and I had to manually change the files to make it work. I haven't seen any difference in my game with my graphics card now being "recognized" in the database. So it isn't a fix that everyone may need.

What game issues are you trying to address now?

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Undead Molten Llama
#19 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 7:34 PM
I just wanted to add that, out of curiosity, I started up TS3, which I do run through Origin, with nothing else running on this machine, and it appears that Origin does affect the amount of free memory the logs will show, so I'm going to guess that's what you're seeing. Then again, I'm not sure it's measuring the same thing because the TS3 log shows all of my system's memory as the total memory where the TS2 log only shows 4096 as the system memory, which is half of what this machine has. So...I dunno. I don't have as much computer knowledge as my husband, and he's not here to ask right now.

In any case, yeah, your patch is working. Any other issues you're having with the game is not going to be addressed by fiddling with this and is being caused by something else.

Scholar
#20 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 7:36 PM
thanks @iCad for taking over while I was away;

if there's no 4096 (kinda) "memory" in the report file that's mean there is no such available memory for the program in the system for one reason or another (assuming the LAA is set on). Could you show us your system specifications? The one thing we actually know is that it's a W10. And what about the hardware?

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 11:18 PM
Thanks guys! Ok then, I will stop worrying about the patch, the game is playable and all my stuff are in there. I have had 0 crashes so far, but I did get pink flashing after playing like 4 hours, I think I need to clear some CC but I haven't found any smart way to delete clothes and hairs, since the CAS will go back to the first page every time you delete something. :/ I had a CC organizer on my other computer so I'll look into that, but if the CC files aren't labeled or put together I guess it's still hard to find them and delete them in the folder. I love itas84's apartments but there's so many apartments and so many objects so the game usually is super slow on those plots I have gotten some error messages when visiting and exiting
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
thanks @iCad for taking over while I was away;

if there's no 4096 (kinda) "memory" in the report file that's mean there is no such available memory for the program in the system for one reason or another (assuming the LAA is set on). Could you show us your system specifications? The one thing we actually know is that it's a W10. And what about the hardware?

Well it's a Dell XPS 13 9360, 8 GB RAM, Intel Core i5-7200 from 2017 if that's helpful? I don't know this stuff sorry
Undead Molten Llama
#23 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 11:57 PM
Pink flashing is not caused by simply having too much CC, though using a lot of high-res CC in a neighborhood will contribute to it. Pink flashing happens when the game runs out of texture memory. Ultimately, aside from OS weirdness (Win10 systems seem to be more vulnerable to pink flashing than older OSs), this is caused by using a lot of "modern" CC that has higher-resolution textures in combination with the (unfixable) fact that the game caches all textures as you play and does not completely clear that cache until the game is exited and the system rebooted.

Meaning, the longer you play and, especially, the more often you switch between lots, by often changing the family you're playing and/or by going to community lots often in a single play session, the more textures are being shoved into the cache. This is not helped by using a lot of high-res CC (pretty neighborhood view stuff and custom hairs and, lately, clothing are the biggest culprits), which simply take up more space in the cache than smaller textures. When your game hits the ceiling, it will flash pink, at which point you need to save, exit the game, reboot your computer, and then restart the game if you wish to play more. Making sure that the texture memory amount listed in your Graphics Rules matches what your card actually has can help with this, but the truth of the matter is that it's a 15-year-old game that has limits and was NOT meant to be high-res. You can force it to do so to a frankly amazing degree, but there are consequences for doing so, and eventual pink flashing is one of them.

Scholar
#24 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 2:05 PM
Well it's a Dell XPS 13 9360, 8 GB RAM, Intel Core i5-7200 from 2017 if that's helpful? I don't know this stuff sorry

this should be OK for the Windows10 - assuming you do not have running mess around (Cortana, bloated AV, OneDrive subservices, 3rd party updaters and services enabled, MS-specific mess, and other crap). Try disable everything you do not use or need (which means probably: most) reboot the machine and then run the game.
Windows memory management, while is much better than once was, is still not very impressive, just like processes management, but what you'd expect? It's MS Windows, low quality is in the box, in constant beta status about which the developer does not care really anymore (because cloud is the money), so...

//I secretly admire You ppl still using W10, it needs serious quality of dedication or particular software curse on employee.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 3:47 PM
I got a lot of stuff from alwayssims2 and hair from skysims and lots of stuff here with high poly count :/ won't remove all but clearing out some of them should be better than keeping 100+?

"Making sure that the texture memory amount listed in your Graphics Rules matches what your card actually has can help with this" Will this show in the log file? My graphic card is listed in the database so there is no "not found in database" at least.
Page 1 of 2