Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Apr 2020 at 9:46 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default I think my game is corrupting completely
As of late my game has been acting a bit strange.
Recently I mentioned how I was having a strange issue with a particular household where a family from the bin kept replacing another household, and the fix was to move out the household, and back in. I haven't touched that neighborhood since that day.
Another problem I've been having for a little longer, is certain houses make the game crash. When I first experienced this, I thought it was due to cc possibly having corrupted, but then I pulled a copy out from the house bin, only to be greeted with the same problem. Didn't even try to move in a family, just clicked on it, and it crashed.
This happened with certain houses both in-game, and downloaded lots, but it's the same houses neighborhood to neighborhood. I don't like it because it's rendered some of my families unplayable.
Also, I don't know if it's due to corruption, or a conflicting mod of some sort, but lately my sims have had less free will. Even when they have needs, they don't do anything about it. To the point where they will literally almost starve themselves, not socialize, or do anything to satisy another need.
Should I take out all the folders to start a clean slate, re-install the game, or is there something else I can do to fix these issues?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Apr 2020 at 10:28 PM
Do you have any other neighbourhoods and if so, do they have similar issues? Try placing that lot in another hood and see if it works there. If it does, run Hoodchecker on your glitchy hood. If it crashes, 50/50 your downloads. If 50/50ing doesn't seem to work, rename The Sims 2 folder in My Documents to something else and run the game again. It will generate a new game. If it works, the problem is somewhere in your Documents folder and we can start working on fixing it. If the problems persist, it's a problem in your Program Files.
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Apr 2020 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
Do you have any other neighbourhoods and if so, do they have similar issues? Try placing that lot in another hood and see if it works there. If it does, run Hoodchecker on your glitchy hood. If it crashes, 50/50 your downloads. If 50/50ing doesn't seem to work, rename The Sims 2 folder in My Documents to something else and run the game again. It will generate a new game. If it works, the problem is somewhere in your Documents folder and we can start working on fixing it. If the problems persist, it's a problem in your Program Files.

The same lots crash in each neighborhood no matter what, some of them came from different eps, and some of them I downloaded.
I'll run the hoodchecker, and look into my downloads.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Apr 2020 at 12:00 AM
Corruption can be at the sim, lot, hood, sims folder or install file level. You only reinstall if it''s in the install files not if its in the Documents>the sims 2 folder.

First rename your sims 2 folder, eg 'The Sims 2 testing' run the game and it will make you a fresh sims 2 folder without CC (except for cc in the install files)
Also check that your anti virus is set to ignore all Sims files
Check that you are the administrator on your computer or right click the game and run as admin.
Check and see how some test sims play in this new folder.
Download one of these lots fresh. Do be sure you are getting them from a good source and that they do not contain mods, sims, pets or graves and also best if they are CC free. Place a test family in the lot and see how they play.
If it still crashes go and check through all CC you might have placed in your install files such as scriptorium files like fire places and stairs, anything in the bins or lighting or templates. Make sure to remove it all to a place for safe keeping and test again.

If it still crashes after checking all of that then it might need a reinstall. Check the date on each object.package and see if it changed recently.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Apr 2020 at 12:10 AM
Could be corruption in the LotCatalog files. That's where the installed lots (along with EA lots) hang out.

Could be a GUID conflict with an item that's used across several lots, for instance something that's interfering with the common starter furniture like cheap appliances, beds, etc.

I've had that one item that crashes any lot it comes in contact with, along with crashing the buy menu if you so much as think about clicking the category it's in. That was a CC item, but still. If you have CC, GUID conflicts can happen, even on a CC-free lot. Usually due to a badly cloned mesh file without a standalone GUID or some such, or an item where the creator only changed the main GUID and didn't bother with the rest.