Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th May 2020 at 10:53 PM
Default What are some storylines you use to make your game more interesting?
I'm running out of ideas for my game so if there are some good mods to enhance the game, or maybe just a cool storyline you've used, I'd love some suggestions (:
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 12th May 2020 at 1:16 AM
I like to use random occurrence scenarios. I tend to roll them once per household per season. It helps create scenarios that you may not normally do which in turn help create more interesting story lines and characters.

This example is specifically for TS2 but I'm sure a google search could find more scenarios geared toward TS3!

aka fir3princ3ss
My Youtube Channel
Currently playing:
-Medieval Charter Challenge on The Sims 2
-Ye Olde Royal Kingdom Challenge on The Sims 3
Test Subject
#3 Old 12th May 2020 at 10:55 AM
You can play based on the storylines of movies or books.

There are also many interesting challenges e.g. the ninja legacy, runaway teen, earn your home, the harvest moon challenge and many more ( and you never have to play it as a legacy, just get the story ideas from them)

And you can also make a family and one of the sims can be played as a servant. It is usually more fun to play the servant sim and then the rest of the family is entirely on free will ( it is good to give them a job before, so they actually will sometimes go out).
Forum Resident
#4 Old 12th May 2020 at 3:46 PM
I get inspiration from movies, TV shows (especially Asian dramas), songs, plays, books, etc.
Test Subject
#5 Old 12th May 2020 at 5:10 PM
I don't really do stories so much as features. With each generation, or sometimes within a generation, I pick out EP features I'd like to explore. So when gen 3 ages up to YA for example, I might decide that I want to focus on pets - so I'll have at least 1 of the sims focus on catching small animals, horse riding/racing, etc, getting a unicorn, etc...

Another generation I might get into gardening, so one sim would be a full on gardener while another might focus on nectar-making. And so on.

If you do play legacies, maybe move to new towns every few generations. Starting fresh each time can keep it more interesting, as you reintegrate into the community & work your way up to the good neighbourhoods (if you decide to dump some cash). Currently have a game in sunset valley, on 2nd generation, and I'm thinking of moving my household & a few other friendly households to a new town, with the premise that the economy crashed hard in sunset valley & they need a new start.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 13th May 2020 at 5:11 AM
I find that I enjoy the A.I. driven stories and just let the Sims tell their own life stories without too much intervention. That has become my new playstyle for TS3 because I find it so interesting. There is always something new going on as I'm learning about my Sims and it's always fascinating to observe how they interact to situations and other Sims.

One example storyline from the A.I. that is playing out: A father-in-law visits his son's house (I'm playing the son's household at this time.) so I invite him in thinking he wants to spend some time with his son or grandkids. But instead he came to visit his daughter-in-law and autonomously flirted and then amorously hugged her in private on the second floor while everyone else was downstairs. The FIL is having marital problems as his wife has become more open to infidelity but I don't know who cheated first because I have a lot of Sims I play on a rotational basis. However, I think an issue started when I temporary moved the husband out of the house to teach two groups of YA's going to university and word may have got back how he was flirting with pretty much all of his female students. Which may have triggered the wife to then look for a young part-time lover and that's how I think all that started.

Hmm...on second thought I forgot that the DIL tried to seduce him and he shooed her away in the past but now it seems he has reconsidered her proposition. Now how messed up if things continue to go on any further and the grandkids get so confused why granddad and mom are spending a little too much time together. Not to mention, her ex-boyfriend is her husband's younger brother and her boy toy another one of her husband's younger brother who actually tried to win her over. There's a lot more to this story but that's just a small part of it.

The interesting thing about Sim A.I. is that they remember their life history which means I've seen some Sims even carry grudges. And what's great is even when I move them from world to world I notice Sims still retain their life history plus new adventures in life. Also, all my Sims have such intertwined stories that keeps on growing as the generations grow too. The stories that the A.I. comes up with just keeps the game dynamic and intriguing for me.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition (Hard Mode: Y!? All side missions and Riddler trophies/riddles/physical challenges completed in the main campaign.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham Knight
Mad Poster
#7 Old 13th May 2020 at 1:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
issue started when I temporary moved the husband out of the house to teach two groups of YA's going to university and word may have got back how he was flirting with pretty much all of his female students.

Was gonna that's one alpha professor/teacher, but that doesn't ring well for this scenario Can't find the right word, but it does come off as Mr Wilsonny but on a larger scale.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 13th May 2020 at 6:39 PM
Yeah I incorporate decisions the game makes into my stories if I like them. For instance one time SP made my Sim's planned love interest date his brother. I kept it and that made my story more interesting.