Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Part-time Hermit
#201 Old 25th Mar 2006 at 10:20 AM
SimPE will automatically create individual names for the files so that they don't overwrite each other. The package file names have to be different, too, of course. No GUIDs or anything like that are needed for recolors. You will have to create a brand new recolor package for each recolor you make, you can't just copy the first recolor you made. Sounds like you may have been doing the latter by accident if only one of the recolors shows up in the game.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#202 Old 31st Mar 2006 at 4:06 AM
Help
I am all done but I want to put the packages in my downloads folder but I dont kno what to put in the folder????? help!!!

If you could would you go to the pink dance with me?
"r u drinking 2% because u think ur fat well ur not u could be drinking whole if u wanted to" - Napoleon Dynamite.
Part-time Hermit
#203 Old 31st Mar 2006 at 4:13 AM
The recolor package (with the .package extension) that you created goes into the Downloads folder.
Test Subject
#204 Old 31st Mar 2006 at 6:10 PM
Default dumb question... how do I edit objects?
Your tutorial on recolouring objects was great & easy to understand, but I'm very computer illiterate & what I couldn't understand was how to actually edit the object. You didn't go into detail at that point so I'm sure the answer is very obvious. But could you please explain it to me?
Thanks,
C
Part-time Hermit
#205 Old 31st Mar 2006 at 6:31 PM
What do you mean by "editing the object" exactly? This is a tutorial for recoloring, and recoloring does what it says: only changes the texture of an object. To do more, like to change the shape and such, you will have to clone an object, and that's a completely separate subject. For that you can also find tutorials in the Create section, depending on what exactly you want to do.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#206 Old 31st Mar 2006 at 8:51 PM
I've answered privately to ctnll5; (s)he was having problems in transferring the image from the recolour package to the paint program and viceversa.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#207 Old 5th Apr 2006 at 1:08 PM
This quide is great it really helps me undrestend how to recolour objects, now i can make personal cars. Just could someone tell me where i could get the SimPE since the site seems to be down.
Part-time Hermit
#208 Old 5th Apr 2006 at 2:05 PM
You can download rar versions of SimPE here , but they have to be installed manually. That means you will have to create a folder, extract the contents of the rar into it, and then start up the program by clicking on the SimPE.exe file in the folder. It's fairly simple.
Test Subject
#209 Old 5th Apr 2006 at 5:40 PM
That helped, Thanks!
Test Subject
#210 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 3:53 AM
Hey, I just had to thank you for this tutorial. It's been great. I'm gonna upload my first painting recolour here pretty soon. Hopefully someday I'll be able to make new meshes, but I needed this tutorial to get me started. Thanks again!
Forum Resident
#211 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 4:31 PM
This is a great tutorial, But I had one problem..I right clicked the image and it wouldn't let me click Build DXT, it was greyed out, I had saved my recolor, It still won't let me Build DXT though, anyone know whats wrong? Thanks for the great, smiple tutorial though!!

Can't install .rar files? I recommend: Sim File Maid 2

Imma Scene_Core_Dinosawr_x
Part-time Hermit
#212 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 6:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Angelcookie51
This is a great tutorial, But I had one problem..I right clicked the image and it wouldn't let me click Build DXT, it was greyed out, I had saved my recolor, It still won't let me Build DXT though, anyone know whats wrong? Thanks for the great, smiple tutorial though!!

You will have to install the DDS Utilities. See the tutorial post again, it has information about it in the beginning.
Forum Resident
#213 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 6:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
You will have to install the DDS Utilities. See the tutorial post again, it has information about it in the beginning.

Thank You!

Forum Resident
#214 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 7:52 PM
Hi, I didn't know exactly where to ask this but I just wondered, I have recolored a maxis object but how do I package it to a file to upload here? Thanks to anyone who helps me

Part-time Hermit
#215 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 7:56 PM
You have to pack up the package file into a zip or rar format before you can upload it to the site.
Test Subject
#216 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 3:22 PM
I copied pictures of good charlotte, my favorite rock band from the net, then, when i try to replace the pictures/images from the paintings/posters with the picture i downloaded, i found out that some decoratives cannot be recolored. Why can't I recolor some decoratives such as posters, carpets, paintings and others? are there other ways of importing your pictures into the game aside from "the sims2 poster importer"? because i'm having a hard time using the poster importer bacause of the required size/pixel of the poster. help plz!

What is essential is invisible to the naked eye. -st. exupery.
Part-time Hermit
#217 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by haterz_23
I copied pictures of good charlotte, my favorite rock band from the net, then, when i try to replace the pictures/images from the paintings/posters with the picture i downloaded, i found out that some decoratives cannot be recolored. Why can't I recolor some decoratives such as posters, carpets, paintings and others? are there other ways of importing your pictures into the game aside from "the sims2 poster importer"? because i'm having a hard time using the poster importer bacause of the required size/pixel of the poster. help plz!

You need the CEP installed to be able to recolor all of the pictures. I'm not familiar with the Sims 2 poster importer, but you can just use Object Workshop, as is explained in this tutorial whose thread you're posting in. However, the textures you import can't be any size. The dimensions have to be 64, 128, 256, 512 etc pixels. You can't have any random size.
Field Researcher
#218 Old 15th Apr 2006 at 2:22 AM
I just had to say thank you. I've been using SimPE for several months and I've just been using the "import" option. No wonder most of my custom bedding looks so blurry! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

"Don't harsh my melon." -- Alexis Denisof
Test Subject
#219 Old 17th Apr 2006 at 5:45 PM
it steel wont let me reclorl help me plz
Part-time Hermit
#220 Old 17th Apr 2006 at 5:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alyson_m12239
it steel wont let me reclorl help me plz

You have to be more specific about your problem. At which point of the tutorial are you having problems? We can't help you until you give more information about what's wrong .
Test Subject
#221 Old 20th Apr 2006 at 5:20 PM
My problem is that I can't seem to get DDS or whatever to work right.I installed the software from the link provided at the top, but whin I click prefrences on SimPe, I cant find it. But what gets me is that when I do find it, it says 'file not found'. It is located on my desktop, and the adress is 'DDS_Utilities...', But Im just so close to making that silly lamp thing. HELP ME ASAP!

Just because you are different, doesn't mean your'e wierd.
Part-time Hermit
#222 Old 20th Apr 2006 at 5:23 PM
The needed file is in the folder called NVIDIA DDS Utilities. You have to go into that folder when you set the path in SimPE. Why did you not install it to the default location?
Lab Assistant
#223 Old 21st Apr 2006 at 4:12 AM
Hey, thanks for the great tutorial. I've been using SimPE for awhile, but had the older windowed version of the Object Workshop. When I downloaded the newest (v.56) I couldn't use the new Object Workshop because I couldn't find the clone/recolor button. I *knew* it had to be there somewhere.... Your pic showed me where it was supposed to be, and yup, there it was, mostly hidden under the golden bar at the top of the window. Plus, I'd never heard of using the DXT thingy, and so that was a good thing to learn. I always learn something useful following your tuts.

“Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.”
-unknown
Test Subject
#224 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 10:59 PM
Default The Problem with Recolors "Leaching" into Uploads
Before I ask my question, I'd like to say how much I appreciated using this tutorial. It turned the tide for me regarding the creation of recolors. Thank you.

I've been meaning to ask this question for a long time, but keep forgetting when I'm not busy with the game itself, but here it is. I've posted the question on the SimPE forum as well.

Let's say you have several (or a ton of) recolors in your Downloads folder. You play TS2 and create a lot you want to upload to the TS2 Exchange or just to a file on your hard drive. Knowing you wanted to do this, you did NOT use a single recolor in your lot.

If you don't completely remove your Downloads folder (or at least all the recolors--I keep mine highly-categorized for this reason), any recolors you have that match the categories of objects your used in your lot, will follow along--leaching themselves into the upload.

I never upload lots to the Exchange that have recolors or new objects in them. However, I DO upload them (my own--nothing belongingto anyone else, except by permission) to my own website:

http://www.flyingacres.com/NeighborlySims/NeighborlySims.html[/url]

I have one complete line of recolors added to that site now, and am working on a second. However, I also upload houses there that have NO CC (other than HomeCrafter--sometimes not even that).

I want to be able to not have to worry about this leaching thing.

Do you have an answer? This has been going on since the beginning of recolors, and I kept thinking the answer would be published somewhere, and that eventually it would stop happening, but that hasn't been the case.

Please let me know if there is some sort of setting I should be changing to make this NOT happen with my uploads. I would be very grateful!

I believe that Maxis/EA HAS finally solved a similar problem with the terrain paints made in HomeCrafter. They were doing the same thing, but with the last patch that came out, I believe that problem has been fixed. Perhaps you could check into that, to find out more about why this happens, if you don't already have a work-around.

I look forward to hearing from someone regarding this dilemma. Thank you :-)

Linda
Part-time Hermit
#225 Old 25th Apr 2006 at 5:40 AM
You can remove custom content from a lot upload with the Clean Installer. See more information here.
Page 9 of 47