Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 16th Jun 2006 at 11:30 PM
Just a random thought I'd share, having to do with tile placement relative to cursor/mesh and stuff:

The "0x003F: Multi-tile Lead Object" Field actually assigns where all the tiles go relative to the cursor (when moving/placing), and (somewhat) relative to the mesh.

i.e. The cursor and the mesh will be in the same relative position no matter which tile has the 1 value, but whichever tile has the 1 value will be placed under the cursor and under that section of the mesh. And, of course, all the other tiles will be the same relative to the lead object.

I didn't see anything like this in the tutorial, and I thought it might give a bit of insight into ways to move things around where you like them...
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#77 Old 17th Jun 2006 at 2:19 AM
solfal: 'Fraid I know virtually nothing about shadows. I believe they do have to stay in a raw format though, for reasons that are no doubt very technical. Maybe you could try posting it to the Object Creation and Repair thread? They know a great deal more about the relationships between meshes than I do, and they're stunningly helpful!

trezero: That's very interesting! I'd never really thought about it much, but it makes sense that the lead object would be related to the starting position of the tiles. Thanks for posting it!
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 7th Jul 2006 at 3:22 PM Last edited by Echo : 8th Jul 2006 at 2:23 AM.
Default Not a success for me !
Hi,

I've tried to add tiles to a painting but after several attemps and 2 afternoons spent with no results I'm posting here for help ! Either the painting behaves as if I hadn't modified nothing, or the tiles has moved but they're still only 2 or the painting is unplaceable and a tile has dispearred (on right or on the left, please :D) !

It's pretty funny but I'd want to make it work now, I've already wasted enough time... and I'm still on the 2nd part of the tut !

I tried to clone the OBJD with 1,0 and also the one with 0,0 at the end of the filename without success. By the way, is it useful to change the BHAV of a painting ? I mean, the Sims can't actually walk through a painting...

You can download the file here (Note: link deleted by request). Please, could a moderator edit my post and delete the link after (s)he found the problem ? Thanks.

Thanks in advance. (and thank you Echo for the great tutorial, of course !)

- Speech is silver but silence is gold -
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#79 Old 8th Jul 2006 at 2:22 AM
The problem was the numbering of the files. The instance number is in hex, which means that 9+1 = A, not 10. I updated the numbers in the OBJDs and the OBJfs.

Fixed version attached
Attached files:
File Type: zip  BS_obj_deco_tablo005_mesh.zip (80.1 KB, 19 downloads)
Field Researcher
#80 Old 14th Jul 2006 at 7:19 AM
Had a bit of a glitch there, but as soon as I posted a question about it I figured out the answer and it worked great! Now my 3 tile mirror has a 3 tile footprint.
Thank you so much. I am so happy to be able to do this! I'm going to make a 3 tile painting now.
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 17th Jul 2006 at 10:51 PM Last edited by chrissy6930 : 18th Jul 2006 at 7:54 PM.
Hi,

I am currently working on some stairs that match the romanesque wall from the game. the additional railing on the top causes a prob though: simmies are walking right through it which made me add some tiles and edit its footprint. only now they do not work any longer: there are no additional tiles showing ingame, its impossible to place them and the error reads: can't place top landing.
could u pls have a look?

find enclosed the edited package and the script block required.

thanx in advance!

More build mode, plants, lights and pet stuff by me can be found at
The ModFather
retired moderator
#82 Old 18th Jul 2006 at 12:48 AM
Chrissy, more by chance than by knowledge I noticed that when you added the additional tiles, you have set as "Master tile" the original on (the one without 0,0 1,0 etc.); while the "master tile" must be one of the additional ones.
I also noticed that the additional tiles are numbered 0,0 / 1,0 / 2,0 - which means that you have 2 additional tiles on the left and no tiles on the right.
I've renumbered the additional tiles as "-1,0" "0,0" and "1,0" (changing the index in the OBJD accordingly), and I've set the 0,0 as master tile. Now the stairs can be placed with no problems, though again the sims walk through the balaustrade...

Just to prove how my knowledge is limited on this subject :P
We'd better wait for someone more experienced...

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#83 Old 18th Jul 2006 at 12:49 PM
Quote:
We'd better wait for someone more experienced...
There is such a person? *faints*

Stairs... Modular stairs no less...

Well, first thing is to do exactly what Numenor said. I'm glad he noticed it, cause I didn't. That will certainly make the steps placeable again.

Now, if this were a regular object, the second thing you'd do would be to make an additional init BHAV for the two tiles you don't want to allow intersections on, give it a new Instance ID, and make it disallow object and sim intersections. Then you'd go to the OBJf files for the tiles that should block sims, and point their "init" lines to the new BHAV.

Unfortunately, stairs confuse me, and I wasn't even able to get the new tiles to show up in my game... I'm not sure if Numenor was able to get that working (Numenor?) in his attempt, but I'm not sure the OBJDs in modular stairs are linked the same way normal objects are. I think they're managed through the modularstairs.txt file, so at a guess adding new OBJDs won't actually cause new tiles to show up... But that'd just be me guessing. I hate stairs. Never use them, never, ever mod them!

Sorry... I'm also throwing it open to this mysterious "person more experienced than Numenor"
The ModFather
retired moderator
#84 Old 18th Jul 2006 at 2:58 PM Last edited by Numenor : 18th Jul 2006 at 3:21 PM.
Neither in my attempt the additional tiles were visible...

And thanks for the compliments, Echo, but despite the many users that PM me to ask how to brew beer or what will be the weather in Alaska tomorrow, I do not know everything
Actually, my knowledge is quite deep but sectional: I'm very experienced in specific subjets, but I completely miss many others...
Chrissy and I were counting on you for this problem...

EDIT:
Just to give an example: I'm still confuse about the footprints. What is the "Maya Model Footprint" that can be ignored by setting the Flag 0x0008?
Is it the footprint optionally stored in the CRES, or a footprint calculated on the fly by the game?
If I "Do NOT use Maya Model Footprint", is the entire tile considered footprint?

EDIT AGAIN: Echo, you see? You were right I've applied the modifications you suggested (creating a separate Init for the two side tiles) and now it works! :D
The tiles are still invisible (which is good, since I'm able to place the stairs even at a corner of the upper floor), and the sims don't walk any more through the balaustrade! I also noticed that, though Chrissy has imported a private Init for the top landing, in the OBJF still all the top landings called the semiglobal init. I've fixed this, also.

I'm attaching my package, so that Chrissy doesn't have to make the same work.

As a bottom line, I still can't place the stairs on the ground (I can only place them starting from an above-the-ground floor): the error message says "Can't place the bottom landing". But anyway, the top landing works...
Attached files:
File Type: rar  chrissy6930_romanesquestairs3_editedfootprint.rar (88.2 KB, 19 downloads)

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#85 Old 18th Jul 2006 at 6:50 PM Last edited by chrissy6930 : 18th Jul 2006 at 7:52 PM.
ohhh Numenor u cannot mean that (see first post)! u see u ARE my fave techie!!!! :lovestruc

I also edited the package using both your and Echos suggestions yet for me simmies are still walking though that railing. thus I better go have a look how u did it...

btw I noticed that the function init comes with maya footprint set already (function init common () - view BHAv - string #9). does that mean anything as other objects don't have it set by default?

EDIT to ADD: I had added a function init for each of the added tiles. fixing that also disables the walkthrough...

thanx bunches to both of u !!!! :D

Lab Assistant
#86 Old 19th Jul 2006 at 12:35 AM
I just came across a major prob:

when I make them more than 1 tile wide they are not working any more. due to person intersection being cleared simmies cannot access them any more...

The ModFather
retired moderator
#87 Old 19th Jul 2006 at 8:34 AM
Ehm... what are you making "more than 1 tile wide"? Are you further modifying the top railings mesh?
Also, please notice that the "no intersection" flag can be set only to the external tiles, on the right and on the left of the actual stair landing: the landing itself must allow intersection, obviously

PS: what package are you working on? Your own or mine? The OBJD are still numbered -1,0/0,0/1,0 or you have reverted to the first version 2,0/1,0/0,0?

Lab Assistant
#88 Old 19th Jul 2006 at 10:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Ehm... what are you making "more than 1 tile wide"? Are you further modifying the top railings mesh?
Also, please notice that the "no intersection" flag can be set only to the external tiles, on the right and on the left of the actual stair landing: the landing itself must allow intersection, obviously

PS: what package are you working on? Your own or mine? The OBJD are still numbered -1,0/0,0/1,0 or you have reverted to the first version 2,0/1,0/0,0?

no I'm not modifying the mesh. I mean if - in the game - I go place 2 stairs right next to each other, the left one with a left railing only and the right one with a right railing only. lot creators pretty often use them that way for outdoors. they might even place 3 stairs right next to each other (center stairs without any railing) depending on the lot...

and I'm using your package actually...

Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#89 Old 19th Jul 2006 at 1:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
What is the "Maya Model Footprint" that can be ignored by setting the Flag 0x0008? Is it the footprint optionally stored in the CRES, or a footprint calculated on the fly by the game? If I "Do NOT use Maya Model Footprint", is the entire tile considered footprint?

I believe it refers to the footprint stored in the CRES, which is actually generated by Maya when Maxis creates the mesh. On the fly footprints (ie - Generic Sims Call 0x21) don't actually change the shape of the footprint, just refresh path information from the intersection flags etc (ie - if you change a tile to allow sim intersection then run GSC 0x21, I believe that it will update the footprint so that sims can walk through it). And yup, if you set the "Do NOT use" flag, it treats the entire tile as occupied space and ignores the size/shape of the object.

Quote: Originally posted by chrissy6930
no I'm not modifying the mesh. I mean if - in the game - I go place 2 stairs right next to each other, the left one with a left railing only and the right one with a right railing only.

Well yes, because you've made the tile to either side of the portal untraversable... Short of writing some really ugly code (I'm thinking something like the sectional sofa updates only with dynamic footprints instead of mesh changes) you're probably going to just have to choose whether you want double width stairs or non-intersecting balustrades...
Lab Assistant
#90 Old 19th Jul 2006 at 4:49 PM
o_0 Just a quick n00b thought here: What makes fences un-walk-throughable? Obviously sims can walk along a fence on either side, but they can't walk through the fence. Would it be possible to apply that to the balustrade?

The above post should be ingested with 1/4 Tbsp salt. In the event of an allergic reaction, panic and wait for the reaction to pass.
Greatest Dad Ever
#91 Old 20th Jul 2006 at 6:24 PM
I have a question ...I have made a 3 tile wide archway for a total of 6 tiles cloned from valuewoods justa arch which was 1 tile ...I have got all 6 tiles where they need to be and in game but now my arch is not placable anywhere unless i use the move objects cheat any idea what i did wrong ????? Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Lab Assistant
#92 Old 20th Jul 2006 at 7:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
Short of writing some really ugly code (I'm thinking something like the sectional sofa updates only with dynamic footprints instead of mesh changes)...

Echo you know what you did by saying this? you "held a new toy in front of a lil kids face and now it goes 'ohhh could you pls show me how to play with it?' " :D

Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#93 Old 22nd Jul 2006 at 2:05 PM
tigmomx4: I haven't tried this with portal objects, so it's a bit hard to say what is actually going wrong. However, at a guess, I'd say that the new tiles may not be using the correct OBJFs, and might be looking for an incorrect wall adjacency? I'm not going to be around for the next few weeks, but if you post the object someone might be able to take a look?

chrissy6930: Heh, I promise that wasn't my intention. Honestly, I do not think the effort involved would be worth the rewards, but by way of explaination...

The sectional sofas have code so that any time they are placed on a lot, they check all the adjacent tiles for other sofas. If they find some, they figure out what shape they need to be, then tell all the adjacent sofa pieces that they also need to check what shape they need to be (because the adjacent sofa pieces may have to change as well). Now, if you were feeling motivated or masochistic, you could try something like that, although instead of changing the shape of the meshes, you would have to change the intersection flags and refresh the footprints for the two added tiles. So really quite ugly code.
Greatest Dad Ever
#94 Old 22nd Jul 2006 at 7:23 PM Last edited by tigmomx4 : 27th Jul 2006 at 5:25 AM. Reason: deleted package
ok thank you ! ...Well to anyone that knows about footprints and stuff like that please take a look at this and see if you can figure out why it isnt working ....
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#95 Old 23rd Jul 2006 at 2:01 AM
Well the placement issue is/wasabout OBJfs pointing to the wrong inits (I really should put something about that in this tutorial, I tend to assume that all tiles in most objects behave the same way). The problem was that both your new tiles were using the same init, which means they both required a wall in front of them. One should require it in front, the other should require it behind. I've fixed up the footprint problem, but you've got some other things you'll need to do:
- The mesh isn't lined up with the footprint you've created. The best way to fix this is to move the mesh in your 3D program.
- The wall cutouts are only working on one of the tiles.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  3tilearchwaybytigmomx4.zip (38.4 KB, 18 downloads)
Greatest Dad Ever
#96 Old 23rd Jul 2006 at 3:12 AM
yeah i know about the other issues with it i was just concerned about the placement issue ...Thank you so much for this ...an explanation on the steps involved would be a great addition to an already great Tut ....
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 23rd Jul 2006 at 3:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
The sectional sofas have code so that any time they are placed on a lot, they check all the adjacent tiles for other sofas. If they find some, they figure out what shape they need to be, then tell all the adjacent sofa pieces that they also need to check what shape they need to be (because the adjacent sofa pieces may have to change as well). Now, if you were feeling motivated or masochistic, you could try something like that, although instead of changing the shape of the meshes, you would have to change the intersection flags and refresh the footprints for the two added tiles. So really quite ugly code.

thanx Echo! I'm going to have a look into this although I DO see your point... :D

Lab Assistant
#98 Old 27th Jul 2006 at 3:27 AM
can you make an object both "hide floor" and either "step over" or "intersectable"?

*can I rather - I mean is it possible
The ModFather
retired moderator
#99 Old 27th Jul 2006 at 8:08 AM
Probably yes, though without a floor sims can't obviously reach the object, to step over it or intersect it...

Lab Assistant
#100 Old 27th Jul 2006 at 2:36 PM
So the hide floor bhav is nulling any suqsequent bhavs to step over or allow intersect - true?

I ask because iI have an object that is cutting through the floor, but I dont want it to block paths.
Page 4 of 11