Replies: 789 (Who?), Viewed: 165034 times.
Page 4 of 32
Scholar
#76 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 10:08 PM
I'm addicted to Sims 3 now. I'd actually love to play Sims 2 again, but recently had a meltdown, and hadn't backed my game up to an external drive since December of 08. I stare at the 8 EPs and 4 SPs sitting on my desk and just can't bring myself to spend all that time reinstalling (not to mention all the CC I would need to find and/or update).

It's too bad since I'd barely scratched the surface of FT or AL. Hell, I'd still never even had a plant person! Maybe when the newness of Sims 3 wears off, I'll put my nose to the grindstone and reinstall and update everything.
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 10:19 PM
D:
Dang.
I don't have the money to get Sims 3 yet. IMHO, I think that the Sims 3 sims look...uglier than the Sims 2 ones. xD;;
In any case, I'm extremely jealous of you. I only have 4 of the EP's, and no stuff packs yet. I would pretty much kill for all the stuff you have, Aeval. xP
I know I'm gonna buy Sims 3 eventually because I'm a sucker, but I'm not sure if I'll like it more than Sims 2...I think it will just be -different-, and that I'll still play Sims 2 more. =3

)+>
Smile, because you're better than you think. ;)
Scholar
#78 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeval99
I'm addicted to Sims 3 now. I'd actually love to play Sims 2 again, but recently had a meltdown, and hadn't backed my game up to an external drive since December of 08. I stare at the 8 EPs and 4 SPs sitting on my desk and just can't bring myself to spend all that time reinstalling (not to mention all the CC I would need to find and/or update).

It's too bad since I'd barely scratched the surface of FT or AL. Hell, I'd still never even had a plant person! Maybe when the newness of Sims 3 wears off, I'll put my nose to the grindstone and reinstall and update everything.

I had a similar issue with my old computer. It got to the point where it could barely run Sims 2 and then after I installed Freetime, the game wouldn't load at all. So I bought Apartment Life and Mansion and Garden Stuff, and saved up for the computer I have now (affectionately named 'Roidzilla ). Fortunately I can have Sim 1-3 installed, but it's just a matter of biting the bullet and doing the installs. After playing Sims 3 for awhile, I got the urge to play Sims 2 again. So I installed my EPs (took a day to do it between work and the rest of real life). It's like a new game because I haven't gotten to play any of the last few EPs. I found it to be alot of fun, even without CC. However, I keep my CC backed up on a USB stick, so I don't have to go searching for it. I have about 6 gigs of CC and I'm in the middle of reinstalling it to my game (I'm weeding a bit of it out though) and that's taking me a couple of days.

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
Scholar
#79 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odekai
D:
Dang.
I don't have the money to get Sims 3 yet. IMHO, I think that the Sims 3 sims look...uglier than the Sims 2 ones. xD;;
In any case, I'm extremely jealous of you. I only have 4 of the EP's, and no stuff packs yet. I would pretty much kill for all the stuff you have, Aeval. xP
I know I'm gonna buy Sims 3 eventually because I'm a sucker, but I'm not sure if I'll like it more than Sims 2...I think it will just be -different-, and that I'll still play Sims 2 more. =3

Look on the bright side, you'll probably be able to buy it for a fraction of what I paid when it was new. Thankfully my birthday is in February and always seemed to coincide with a new EP, that my husband thoughtfully provided for me. I knew there was a damn good reason I married him. The fall EP always somehow managed to slip in with my early X-mas shopping.

Really though, if you have NL, Seasons, OFB and either FT or AL you are pretty much good to go. I'd just keep an eye out in the bargain bin. As those Sims 3 expansions come out, stores will be clearing out space for Sims product. I bought my stuff packs from Target when they were discounted to below 10 bucks.

On a different tangent, I'm finding the Sims in Sims 3 to be better looking, especially now that I have a custom skin tone and some good eye replacements. You can't make Sims that look as photo-realistic or stunningly beautiful as with Sims 2 and all that CC, but as a whole they are a much better looking bunch to begin with. I don't feel the need to kill off most of my townies before I even start playing because I can't stand the sight of them for one second more. Heh, maybe I'm just getting used to them.

Death to all Goopy's!
Test Subject
#80 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 8:38 PM
I just re-downloaded Sims3 recently, just to see how if I still wanted it. Gameplay was almost agonizing after playing Sims2 for a few weeks. I think it's just because I'm hooked on the custom content.

I guess I'll wait a couple more months to play Sims3 again... >.>

Follow me!
I like to post pictures of my Sims. (:
Mad Poster
#81 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 9:40 PM
"Really though, if you have NL, Seasons, OFB and either FT or AL you are pretty much good to go. I'd just keep an eye out in the bargain bin. As those Sims 3 expansions come out, stores will be clearing out space for Sims product. I bought my stuff packs from Target when they were discounted to below 10 bucks."

That's true-I picked up Uni at the local WallyWorld for $20, and I'm certain the other EP's were about the same price. I'm looking to buy perhaps one more and it's done for me on Sims 2. I don't want to mess with my computer on the Securom issue after Seasons.
As for Sims 3, I'm looking to perhaps buying in in a couple of years-it will take that long to develop the game, all the mods will have been developed fully and the hacks will be improved. Perhaps even the game itself will be improved by EA, though I think they're really getting lazy and greedy.
But I'm still playing Sims 2.
Scholar
#82 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 4:38 AM
It seems almost unfair at this time to judge Sims 2 and 3 at this time. After all Sims 2 has been out for awhile. However as you begin to play Sims 3 you realize the fun drains quickly out of it. Without mods really what is the point of playing. The game (sims 3) is to innocent. I have found no way to screw up my game for the worse. Well, except one case of brother and sister love that resulted in a kid after I left to play a second generation character. In matter fact I have learned that even if you clear a town the other unwanted sims return. Boo! Also if you have to many large families you can outgrow your town in only 4 generations (only 3 have died). Now I can't find anyone to marry because they are all related to me (okay I found my great great aunt/neice to marry). Apparently you cannot hit on families that already married into yours. The Duggars would not survive in a Sims game.

Did anyone else notice how all the Sims characters in 3 look alike even after you change their appearance?
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 9:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrowningFishy
Did anyone else notice how all the Sims characters in 3 look alike even after you change their appearance?

It's hard to make TS3 sims look unique and different without the Body Slider Hack. Without it, the sims tend to look very similar and boring
Field Researcher
#84 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 10:24 AM
i have TS3 and just played for a week...i love the seamless neighborhood, but it turned me off because when my two sims went out for a date... my other sim wont let him ride in the car to be able to drive back home...geez...and the beach so useless you can only do fishing, ...im expecting TS3 to have a swimmable beach and sunbathe anywhere in the beach..
Test Subject
#85 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 5:18 PM
I got TS3 the day it came out, and played for two weeks straight. That amount of play-time was enough to make me decide I didn't like it all that much. I'll admit, TS3 has lots of bells and whistles, but it's missing that...feel, y'know? I mean, there was even less emphasis on grilled cheese and llamas! I really missed how ridiculous TS2 could get. I've always liked a sense of realism in my game, but maybe TS3 had too much?

Here's something else: The day before I decided to switch back to playing TS2, my hard drive blew up I guess it could only handle TS3 for two weeks. So, even if I wanted to keep playing it, I couldn't. I'll be getting a new hard drive soon, though. I'll also be buying Seasons, Freetime and Apartment Life for TS2, like I've always wanted!
Field Researcher
#86 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 6:43 PM
Yah..."bein realistic" ..is what i want too..like pillywiggen... that beach thinggy in TS3 really sucks to me..and though it has seamless neighborhoods still has a lot of lackings...

hey!..apartment life is cool!... dont miss to get on that expansion..
Field Researcher
#87 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 5:14 AM
My friend and I don't like the way Sims 3 sims look. There's something about their faces that just turns us off. While the personality traits and infinite customization seem like a dream come true, I was so enchanted by all the new features when I switched over from Sims 1, and there are just so many things about the Sims 2 that make it the perfect game for me, that I would miss every detail that was different so much it just wouldn't be worth it.

I love my Sims 2 and plan to stick to it!

~Sarah~
Scholar
#88 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 6:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranH
That's true-I picked up Uni at the local WallyWorld for $20, and I'm certain the other EP's were about the same price. I'm looking to buy perhaps one more and it's done for me on Sims 2. I don't want to mess with my computer on the Securom issue after Seasons.

As for Sims 3, I'm looking to perhaps buying in in a couple of years-it will take that long to develop the game, all the mods will have been developed fully and the hacks will be improved. Perhaps even the game itself will be improved by EA, though I think they're really getting lazy and greedy.
But I'm still playing Sims 2.

Heh, EA has always been lazy and greedy. Maxis was pretty good, but they've been gone since the Sims 1 days. It's not just the Sims games either, EA's sports games are a mess of half-assed features and needless bugs.

Although I do dislike it on principle, I've never had any problems with Securom. I wouldn't miss out on FT or AL over something that is very, very unlikely to cause you problems.

I'm still too lazy to re-install my games, so I gave them all to my best friend. She is having a blast with them. The day after I gave them to her she was supposed to be coming over to my house at 4:30. At 5:45 I called her from my cell to beg her forgiveness because I was still out shopping. LOL. She hadn't even noticed because she was still in her pajamas playing the Sims (from 9 am)!

Somewhere down the road, I will play again. I just can't be bothered to do all the work that I need to do, to play. (I always have to clean out everything EA before I play. Sims and houses and townies and then download and install or make all new ones. And then I have all those hacks to update and downloads to prune...and so on). One of my favourite things about Sims 3 is that I can just stick the disc in and play without doing anything but updating Awesomemod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillywiggen
I got TS3 the day it came out, and played for two weeks straight. That amount of play-time was enough to make me decide I didn't like it all that much. I'll admit, TS3 has lots of bells and whistles, but it's missing that...feel, y'know? I mean, there was even less emphasis on grilled cheese and llamas! I really missed how ridiculous TS2 could get. I've always liked a sense of realism in my game, but maybe TS3 had too much?

I know exactly what you mean. I always had the same feeling about the end of the first Sims series. There was just something about the atmosphere of the original game that was never quite the same again for me. LOL...back in the olden days, when I walked 4 miles to school, in the snow, barefoot, uphill both ways. :p
Test Subject
#89 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 7:45 AM
i don't like TS3 at all. in fact, i uninstalled it from my computer yesterday. am i the only one who thinks that the graphics are terrible? i mean, the scenery looks nice, but all the sims look like play-dough. and it can also be pretty cool that you can see the whole town from your playable sims house, rather than one lot, but that's about as far as it goes with me. i don't like what they did to the goth mansion, or the fact that they're both YOUNGER now. i don't like how CC is more limited than it is in TS2. i don't like the feel of the game in general - when i bought the sims 2 when it first came out, i knew right then that it was something special; even without all the EP's and SP's. but as soon as i played TS3 .... well, i was just super dissapointed! it was a waste of money, in my honest opinion.
Test Subject
#90 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 8:05 AM
I haven't played the third game (my sis won't let me) but from what she says she prefers the Sims 2.
Field Researcher
#91 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:05 AM
Seeing as how I uninstalled TS3 and just finished playing TS2 all day (and it's after midnight) then yeah, I'd say I like TS2 better than TS3.
Mad Poster
#92 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 10:46 AM
"Although I do dislike it on principle, I've never had any problems with Securom. I wouldn't miss out on FT or AL over something that is very, very unlikely to cause you problems."

Oh, I don't like Securom at all-on principle or in reality. You see, I'm a mod at Prism, the forum for ReclaimYourGame, which is a site dedicated to informing people about DRM.
I think the fact that EA dropped Securom from Sims 3 is due in part to the efforts we've made in making it an issue for consumers.
That being said, I will probably get FT in the long run because it is one of the few EP's beyond Seasons that gives good content.

But as for Sims 3, the level of general glitchiness and bugginess is rather unacceptable to me personally until EA makes better efforts to improve customer relations and the game itself. That will probably take about 2 years to work out.
Scholar
#93 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 7:32 PM
I uninstalled TS3 a few weeks ago (after not having played it much beyond the first week after release), and haven't looked back. Dove back into TS2--it's such a relief being back in TS2 which has SUCH a superior look & feel, and is so much more 'charming'.

Plus in TS2 I've made a Discworld/Elizabethan hood with all the medieval and fantasy CC available, which won't be possible in TS3 for a few years, I'm sure. I'm sure it's possible EA will release some amazing xpac that makes me consider reinstalling TS3 again, but I'm not counting on it.

The only thing I miss from TS3 is Create A Style, which (as I've said before) I would have paid $50 for them to just cram into TS2 instead.
Scholar
#94 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 10:15 PM
The first week of playing sims 3, i was hooked! it was so addicting and I thought to myself I wouldnt go back to sims 2, just like how I went from sims 1 to sims 2. Well after that I started to play less and less and by the 3rd week, I was pretty bored of it. Im currently playing sims 2 most of the time now.

Although I hope people would make hacks for the sims 2 that are based on the sims 3 o_o. For example, using ingredients to cook would be awesome in sims 2.
Test Subject
#95 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 4:11 AM
To me, Sims 2 will always reign supreme. I have all my CC and my sims don't look like clay models. I dunno what it is about the sims in Sims 3, but they don't look appealing or "attractive". And for some reason, I seem to get bored once I have babies in Sims 3. It's just a pain to raise the babies and it feels like forever. Viva la Sims 2!
Test Subject
#96 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 4:49 AM
@FankH on the SecuROM thing: The amount of stink that was raised on the official Spore forums were a pretty strong force as well. It's nice to see that EA went for total avoidance rather than still sticking with the removal tool ("Don't worry, you can get rid of it. I mean, you won't be able to play your game, but that's what you wanted, right?")

Now, back to our scheduled topic.

I do feel it's entirely unfair to compare 2 and 3, at least in terms of content. We've come off of 8 expansion packs, x number of Stuff packs, and years of people warping and shaping code, meshes, everything into their likings. The gameplay is pretty solid, and it still retains the "What do you mean I've been playing for twelve hours!?" quality of its pappy and grandpappy. I generally bitch about expansion packs, but I think with one a lot of good can be done. I do share the complaints of certain locations having no use, and especially the total lack of wackiness in the game. And the towns feel claustrophobic after the first day. And body-changes reset after you switch households. And the lifetime happiness reward objects are pretty lousy. And...Ok, so there's a lot of crap wrong with the game. But the way I see it, if you go and play the original Sims 2, no expansions, no mods, nothing, it'd be a much more painful experience that the Sims 3. Once Maxis, and far more importantly, you slathering, psychotic geniuses out there, can get a handle on what the game can do and where it should be taken, I dare say that this game shall be pimpolicious.
Field Researcher
#97 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 5:10 AM
Me, because sims 3 faces look ugly in my opinion. Yet I really want to try it since better graphics and whole nieghborhood spying on other families etc. They should have worked longer on ts3, its just bad bad. I don't mind sticking to ts2 in the meantime, especially after using ccleaner my game runs way smooth.
Field Researcher
#98 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 5:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momare
@FankH on the SecuROM thing: The amount of stink that was raised on the official Spore forums were a pretty strong force as well. It's nice to see that EA went for total avoidance rather than still sticking with the removal tool ("Don't worry, you can get rid of it. I mean, you won't be able to play your game, but that's what you wanted, right?")

Now, back to our scheduled topic.

I do feel it's entirely unfair to compare 2 and 3, at least in terms of content. We've come off of 8 expansion packs, x number of Stuff packs, and years of people warping and shaping code, meshes, everything into their likings. The gameplay is pretty solid, and it still retains the "What do you mean I've been playing for twelve hours!?" quality of its pappy and grandpappy. I generally bitch about expansion packs, but I think with one a lot of good can be done. I do share the complaints of certain locations having no use, and especially the total lack of wackiness in the game. And the towns feel claustrophobic after the first day. And body-changes reset after you switch households. And the lifetime happiness reward objects are pretty lousy. And...Ok, so there's a lot of crap wrong with the game. But the way I see it, if you go and play the original Sims 2, no expansions, no mods, nothing, it'd be a much more painful experience that the Sims 3. Once Maxis, and far more importantly, you slathering, psychotic geniuses out there, can get a handle on what the game can do and where it should be taken, I dare say that this game shall be pimpolicious.

I recently played the Sims 2 with NO CC on my other computer and it was fun. It was refreshing.

But yeah, it's totally wrong to compare the two at this stage.
And most of the stuff people are saying about TS3 are what people were saying about TS2 waaaay back when and most of them came to love TS2 after it got fleshed out. It'll just take some time.

I've barely explored TS2 like i should have so I'm waiting on TS3. I played TS1 until 2006 when I got a new computer.

From screen shots I've seen TS3 sims do look like playdoh.
Scholar
#99 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 5:20 AM
what's ccleaner?

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
Scholar
#100 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 6:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKuba
I recently played the Sims 2 with NO CC on my other computer and it was fun. It was refreshing.

But yeah, it's totally wrong to compare the two at this stage.
And most of the stuff people are saying about TS3 are what people were saying about TS2 waaaay back when and most of them came to love TS2 after it got fleshed out. It'll just take some time.

I've barely explored TS2 like i should have so I'm waiting on TS3. I played TS1 until 2006 when I got a new computer.

From screen shots I've seen TS3 sims do look like playdoh.

My first impression of the Sims 2, was amazing. I loved this game from the time I first began playing it (which, much like you, only happened in 2007)

I still love the Sims 1, but I do not think I will ever be able to even like TS3, at least not right away.

I don't think I'm going to actually play again until the price drops. Drastically. I didn't buy TS2 until it was $20.
Page 4 of 32