Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 9:19 AM
Default Error: 400 Bad Request: Request Header Or Cookie Too Large
Every time I try to access anything at all on MTS today, on my main browser Firefox, I get an error like this:

400 Bad Request
Request Header Or Cookie Too Large
----------------------------------------------------
nginx

The problem started quite suddenly yesterday morning. The first I noticed was that the colours on the Agree, Disagree, Helpful, etc. buttons didn't seem to be showing on the thread I was viewing. To get them to show, I refreshed the page. And immediately got the above error. And I quickly discovered that I was getting the same error on every page I tried to access on the MTS site.

I have since found some workarounds that let me onto the site: (i) I can get on using a private Firefox window. (ii) I can get on using Firefox on my old computer, but this seems very slow now that I'm used to the new one. (Moreover it asks me to agree to cookies on every page!) (iii) I can get on if I use Microsoft Edge instead of Firefox. All of these make me think that the problem is most likely that my cookie for MTS on Firefox has somehow grown larger than the site can handle, and I would gladly delete it, if I had a clue where Firefox stores its cookies.

I've tried restarting Firefox, and rebooting the computer but the problem persists. I virtually live on the MTS Sims 2 forum, where I often have several tabs open, so it does seem possible to me that the cookie might grow too big. I very seldom log out of MTS completely. Can anyone help?

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 11:50 AM
How to delete cookies on Firefox. Warning- Make sure you know all of your passwords, site details etc for your often visited places like banking or ahopping. If you delete cookies, you will have to login to the sites again, so you will need your password information

I don't know if that will solve the issue, but this is how you delete cookies anyway!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 12:22 PM
Thanks simsample! That did it! It said I had 167 cookies for modthesims.info. I deleted them all, and now I'm back in! I didn't touch anything else, so my other sites should be OK. Hopefully!!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#4 Old 23rd Nov 2020 at 9:44 AM
I've increased the maximum header size allowed from the default (8kb) up to 32kb.  It looks like the ads are setting a ton of cookies, so I'll need to look into a better long term solution for this.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.