Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 9th Feb 2007 at 11:34 AM
Default recouloring hair
I have paint. at the beginning I had just solid colour but then I decided to find some hair pics on the internet saved it, copied a little part and paste it on the hair file and it came ok
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 19th Feb 2007 at 1:15 PM
Default Too many MBs
HI!

Thank you so much for this tutorial!

Although I haven't got photoshop yet, but Picture it!9, I have managed to recolor and cut my first hair.
But I am a bit confused, because the hair-package, which I found in the SavedSims-folder, has about 3.6 MBs.
Isn't that too much?
I have already downloaded some hair-recolors, and they are much smaller (between 150 and 700 KBs).
What is wrong with my files?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#78 Old 20th Feb 2007 at 7:43 AM
did you put different colors or do different edits on the different graphics? I think bodyshop (but I'm not sure how it does it) can use shared pictures. Hopefully someone who has recolored a lot of hair will have more insight to add.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#79 Old 20th Feb 2007 at 9:22 AM
Yes, I put different colors on different graphics.
But each grafic has got 768 KB anyway, no matter if I change it or not......
And that's why the folder of each project has about 50 MB, there are about 10 pictures for each age!
But the finished file should be smaller.
Perhaps I should write a message to Faylen.
Test Subject
#80 Old 4th Mar 2007 at 11:44 AM
Default 1 quick question
Hiya, thanx for the terrific advice I'll be using these tips on the Sims thats for sure, but there's just 1 thing I really need help on, I'm trying to make multicoloured hair-do's for the female sims but I dont know which files to choose when I'm on photoshop, and I'm very frustrated, could you tell me which specific files to click plz?

thank you very much for all the tutorials btw :D
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#81 Old 4th Mar 2007 at 12:20 PM
mammut, what you were getting is to be expected if you used different colours for each image. Body Shop will share identical images for different layers, but if your layers are all different, your files will be bigger - there are more pictures for it to store.

Babyalex07, the first two files for each age will be the texture and alpha for the "hair" group, most often the scalp. Beyond that it's all for other layers of hair. We can't tell you exactly which files to click on as each project is different. To see what files are for what parts, make a copy of the original file so you still have the textures, then dump a solid colour into the original, save, and reload the project. Whatever part is then bright pink or whatever is the part that uses that texture. You can then use the original texture and edit it to your liking, knowing that part will change when you save over that texture. Repeat as necessary for all the parts till you know what everything is.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#82 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 2:00 AM
wht?
where u get photobucket?? lol i dont have it
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#83 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 2:25 AM
SyLvAnAsRuLz

PhotoSHOP is an image editing program that people buy. Go read the FAQ for info about 2 other programs which are free that also are good for editing these sort of graphics. Then if you want to make something, start with the BEGINNING bodyshop tutorials, which work on clothing. Find the one that matches the program you got. Then do them, like exactly as written.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Instructor
#84 Old 7th Mar 2007 at 10:25 AM
Could you please explain to me how you do the shine? I like to hand paint mine,but the problem is only my blond turns out the way it should,the other colors not so good,I have used various methods but too no avail,I thought maybe you might have a way that could help.

Thank you,
Chris

Also keep paysites free by supporting PSMBD!
http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 14th Mar 2007 at 9:43 AM Last edited by Bagfran : 16th Jun 2007 at 4:25 PM.
Default Just a thank you...
Very helpful tutorial - followed the instructions and it worked perfectly - many thanks!

Test Subject
#86 Old 15th Mar 2007 at 3:00 PM
tiggerypum and HystericalParoxysm, THANK YOU for your help!
After hving been lost in 4 seasons during the last days, I tried to use identical images for my recolors yesterday, and my files are much smaller now ;o))

Come and visit Blackys Sims Zoo
Instructor
#87 Old 28th Mar 2007 at 4:48 PM
Thanks Faylen all your tutorials r great
they're just simple and great
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 6th Apr 2007 at 2:58 AM
Omg thank you so much now my blonds won't look so...fake

~*~*~BaNnAsWeEtIe~*~*~
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 3:34 PM
Great tut Haven't started this one yet, wanted to read all the questions first but before i go ahead and wait the 25 minutes for BS to load i will ask this (again with the save as) Silly question probably but save as what? So if i was recolouring a blonde hair and wanted to make it a different shade i could just name it blonde2 yeh? And what sort of file am i saving it as? And since it's a 'save as' that means i would have to save it TO somewhere so would i save it to my downloads folder? Basically i just want to recol Raonjena's blondes because they are so unnatural looking
Also maybe i need glasses as i can't exactly see which files are selected in the pic but if i just want to do adult hair, Do i need to select those 20 odd files that are highlighted in the pic?? Sorry , that just looks like an awful lot of files to recolour just for one hairstyle. I'm just a little lost with the explainations on that part of it.
And yes i have had a go at recolouring clothes, i like that

Actually, that was quite a lot of questions and you're all going to be annoyed with me now But i do really appreciate the effort you put into the tut
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#90 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 11:29 PM
Starwyn - hair is just like clothing - you might need to use 'save as' to overwrite the bmp file (and make sure it doesn't say 'copy' in the filename) It has to have the exact same name as you started with - just like any other bodyshop project graphic edit. A hair recolor is for all ages, so yeah, there are a lot of files there.

So the 'blonde2' thing is meaningless. You save into your project folder as always. When you're done and you've imported your finished hair into the game, then you can rename your saved sims file to whatever you want.

Btw, if your bodyshop loads really slowly, consider removing most of your custom content (except whatever you're recoloring) while you're working on a project. Just make a second folder and throw your downloads/saved sims files into it (depending on how you have stuff sorted)

Lab Assistant
#91 Old 24th Apr 2007 at 2:11 AM
Cool. I think i get it now Can't wait to try this out
Thankyou SO much!
Lab Assistant
#92 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 6:20 AM
Hi
Just popped in to say i did it! It was actually very easy but very time consuming *sigh* Black is the easiest and i can't get the blonde right yet...but with practice
Anyways thanks a lot for the tut
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 10:52 PM
i cannot express my thanks to you in words.... ok i probs can THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKOUYTHANKYOU.... i could go on! Hairs are the one thing i never really got my head around but i somehow think ill find it alot easier to do..... if i can only figure out how to work where things are on the GIMP i should be fine. Thankyou again Faylen.

if you ask me what im thinking.... the answer is always the same.

girl with a one track mind over here.
Test Subject
#94 Old 22nd May 2007 at 5:36 PM
hi i have a problem, i have a new cc hair i got and a favorite cc hair colour. whats the best way to get the colour from my fav and change the colour of the new cc hair.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#95 Old 22nd May 2007 at 11:08 PM
igottapi4 pretty much every hairstyle uses a different layout for the graphics.

If you want to match a hair color....

Make a new project with the hair that has the color you like, so you can access the graphics.
Make a new project with the hair you want to recolor - hopefully with a color that is similar to the hair color you want to match

1) Take the hair graphic (well start with 1) from the hair you are recoloring and open it with your image editing program.
2) Open up a color reference graphic from the other project. Select a section of it that has a good sampling of the color
3) Copy the sample hair color section - then go to the hair you want to change and paste it onto a new layer as a reference.
4) Go to the layer that has the hair you are recoloring to match. Now using your color/hue/saturation/light/dark/etc sliders, get that hair to look as close to the other color as you can. BEFORE you say 'okay' jot down the changes you made with the sliders
5) Delete (or hide) the sample layer, and save out your hair graphic to your project
6) Load in another graphic that needs the color shift and shift it using the settings you wrote down, save - repeat for all the graphics in that hair set
7) Go back to bodyshop and refresh/load your project. Check all the ages, etc, and then import when you're done.

Test Subject
#96 Old 23rd May 2007 at 4:58 AM
actually after posting i when to download the trial version of photoshop and started investigating on my own, and found a very easy technique.

all you have to do is open a file from each, then use the eyedropper tool to get the colour you want. then you have to pick the color replacement tool and just paint the hair. its soo easy it takes less than 5 minutes.

thanks for the help anyways, but like someone said here, sometime you just have to investigate yourself and find the way that fits to your liking.

p.s for those that cant afford photoshop like myself, with paintshop pro is just as easily.

im going on a hair recolour vacation.
Test Subject
#97 Old 29th May 2007 at 12:46 AM
Thanks for this tutorial! It's really useful and easy to use! As a first timer it was fantastic, I understood all of it! Great Job!!
Test Subject
#98 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 6:28 PM
cool! thanks so much!!!!!!
Test Subject
#99 Old 9th Aug 2007 at 1:26 AM
Default working with custom hair meshes
I just want to say that many of the tut's are pretty helpful and straight forward, but there are a few things that I'm not very clear on and wasn't able to find any information throughout the site. I have hair meshes and colours that were custom made, but what I want to do is change the colours. I have SimPE and graphic editting programs that I have been using since the original sims, so I was wondering if anyone can inform me in how I can make these custom meshes available through body shop, or how to access the files in order to change the colours.

thanks and hope to hear back

SpiritWaterWolf
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 14th Aug 2007 at 2:53 PM
great too bad i make all my CC from paint
Page 4 of 7