Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#16526 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 11:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by High Plains Gamer
Because the Sims 4 is a 32 bit program. As such it can address only 4 gigs of memory. A 64 bit program, in contrast can address four billion times that memory. With a 32 bit program, memory is an issue. With a 64 bit program it is not. In computing, memory is everything.

64 bit technology has been around for over a decade. So the Sims 4 will start out using antiquated technology. The reason for this is that EA wants to market to people who have antiquated and obsolete computers. This means that those of us who have faster and more powerful computers do not get the benefit of those faster machines.

Well, I've seen other developers offer 64-bit executables for games, so it's always possible for EA to do this. I think it's even relatively easy to do it even. So, just needs someone decent in there behind the decision-making desk, I guess.

Edit: Well, I meant, sometimes developers offer 32-bit as well as 64-bit executables. I've seen this happen lots of times when they can see the benefit of providing it to people.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#16527 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 11:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Arisuka
New renders, it's like they are whispering SECRETS!

Can they whisper to us whether their clothing will have that amount of texture detail in game?

I still really like the look of CAS, the clothes and hair styles they've chosen, and the Sims themselves. It's part of why I'm disappointed at the loading screens; after playing 5 years of an open world, I'm not sure I can go back to having to load each time I move to a new lot. But then I see CAS footage and I want to get in there and re-make my TS3 families in TS4... I don't think I'll know for sure how I feel until I can see footage of the loading, or maybe even until I get the game. Because I'll probably still buy it, knowing me.

And that blond Sim - Babs? - looks just as unaware as she did in that happy birthday clip. She's not even looking at either of the two dudes! She really needs to start paying attention to her surroundings.
Lab Assistant
#16528 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 11:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Graham, I don't know if you're ready to address this yet, but as there is an all-new game engine it could leave modders struggling to understand the data, even if we manage to get the files unpacked. Do you think someone on the Sims team might be allowed to help us out a little with information about the file formats if necessary?

I would be the absolute wrong guy to ask about anything related to that. I don't know if that's something we'll arrange, but I agree that it would be a nice thing to do after the game launches.

Sims Producer Graham Nardone - Follow me on Twitter @SimGuruGraham
Test Subject
#16529 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 11:33 AM Last edited by DR0MI0 : 16th Jun 2014 at 12:43 PM.
Graham, you said in a Q&A on the Sims 4 forum, "Every Sim you see at any time when you’re playing can be reached and interacted with without any loading whatsoever." Given that an inactive lot can't be accessed without loading, does this mean you can't see any of your neighbors in their house or yard (on an inactive lot) from the active lot or public spaces?
Field Researcher
#16530 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 11:34 AM Last edited by BudgieSimBoy : 16th Jun 2014 at 12:09 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by tryguy
Well, I've seen other developers offer 64-bit executables for games, so it's always possible for EA to do this. I think it's even relatively easy to do it even. So, just needs someone decent in there behind the decision-making desk, I guess.

Get ready to hit disagree….My conspiracy theory is the game engine was built as an online game Project Olympus, that failed or they were spooked with the critically reaction SC2013 received as being a always online multiplayer game, they then tried to convert it back to a single player game to try and salvage what they had and we will be left with this compromise of lost features loading screens and a game that really could have been developed in 2008-2010 to cash in on playable on ‘‘your dad's computer'

As we have not seen Real Game Play at this late stage to me it feels like we are getting is a hastily done, subpar product that biggest selling point so far is CAS and Emotions.
Please prove me wrong EA/maxis. As you can tell my mood is Angry please change that to Inspired or Elated I will gladly eat Humble Pie….Removes tin foil hat.
Test Subject
#16531 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 11:43 AM
Graham, I don't know if you can answer me but... neighborhoods are continuous on the world map or there is a space between them?
Field Researcher
#16532 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 11:46 AM
Ah i'm not the only one with that idea that The Sims 4 were meant to have big online features, but something changed after SimCity, now all became off-line (what is also a good thing), but one Co-Op Multiplayer mode would full-fill Sims dreams. :P
Test Subject
#16533 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 11:47 AM
I think we should watch an animation on the loading screen...
just like woohoo...
Field Researcher
#16534 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:29 PM Last edited by MaxBacon : 16th Jun 2014 at 12:41 PM.
From Graham replies what is more odd is how the travel between neighbors is just one loading screen and bam, you're in front of the lot you chosen travel to.

So things as cars, etc... will be completely useless? That's why they feel only visual, there is no transports in the game because the loading screens take you directly where you want to go. I was thinking like you got into the car and travel to the border of your neighbor, then loads and enters the new one and you see your sim driving till the location you have chosen to go.
Field Researcher
#16535 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MaxBacon
Ah i'm not the only one with that idea that The Sims 4 were meant to have big online features, but something changed after SimCity, now all became off-line (what is also a good thing), but one Co-Op Multiplayer mode would full-fill Sims dreams. :P

The co-op multiplayer was mentioned in the survey from which almost 90% of the features are confirmed. I'm just keeping my hopes up :P.
Lab Assistant
#16536 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MaxBacon
From Graham replies what is more odd is how the travel between neighbors is just one loading screen and bam, you're in front of the lot you chosen travel to.

Umm, I don't think they've actually suggested this at all. They've said nothing of actual travel mechanics, only that it will be possible to go visit other lots within other neighborhoods.

Really, I imagine it will be like they have it in in Sims 3, where to go visit the festival lot, you grab a taxi, or you can run or whatever. I think in Willow Creek, you'll have options to take the tram, and then you'll see the animation of them leaving (fade to black), then you'll probably have an animation of them disembarking at the other end. Possibly cars will work the same way, appear when you need them, live in your pocket when you don't. But, until we see an actual game running, we can only guess on how it is.

I think they'll be fairly logical about it though. The tram (and perhaps steamboat) look fun (rabbit holes).
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#16537 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TanookiMark
The co-op multiplayer was mentioned in the survey from which almost 90% of the features are confirmed. I'm just keeping my hopes up :P.

They had a knee-jerk reaction to players' anger after the SimCity servers were inadequate at launch. I think it would be a jolly shame if we could never invite a friend to our game interactively. I was looking forward to it.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#16538 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:07 PM
They had a knee-jerk reaction to players' anger after the SimCity servers were inadequate at launch. I think it would be a jolly shame if we could never invite a friend to our game interactively. I was looking forward to it.

There was a big difference with Simcity since the game requires you to be online to play the game. The whole Simcity launch wasn't as awefull as people seem to make it. Every game which requires a internet connection has launch problems and all the problems were solved after a week (you could play the game after 2/3 days waiting).

On a related note to the survey: I just hope all the things mentioned in the survey are in the game . It would make the Sims 4 a lot more interesting.
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#16539 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tryguy
I think they'll be fairly logical about it though. The tram (and perhaps steamboat) look fun (rabbit holes).

I've ALWAYS hoped for real, animated public transportation for The Sims! It adds a whole new feeling of liveliness. And I would never have imagined that they'd create a freakin' steamboat as well.
Can you imagine what they can now do in the future for new worlds? Trains, ferries, monorails, buses...

I can't be the only one super-impressed by the streetcar and steamboat?
Alchemist
#16540 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:31 PM
As always, when Graham enters the thread, he gets a lot of question and they are left unanswered.

I can't blame him though, I know he's got a lot to do and he can't answer every single question, but it would be nice if he sometime could have a Q&A in this forum trying to answer as many questions as possible that does not include things we already know.
Alchemist
#16541 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruGraham
Correct. After the loading screen finishes you don't start inside/on the lot, you start on the sidewalk in front of the lot. Whether you choose to walk onto the active lot or wander off into the neighborhood is entirely up to you. No matter if you're traveling to another lot in the current neighborhood, to another neighborhood, or to a different world entirely, you'll always select a lot as your destination because there is always one active lot.

Does this mean all the worlds will be connected and available to travel to?
Can other sims from other worlds visit the world/town/neighborhood you live in?
#16542 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
As always, when Graham enters the thread, he gets a lot of question and they are left unanswered.

I can't blame him though, I know he's got a lot to do and he can't answer every single question, but it would be nice if he sometime could have a Q&A in this forum trying to answer as many questions as possible that does not include things we already know.

Lol people would still be asking them all over again. I hope some time he can identify the colleague who is the best go-to for modding and toolmaking questions. For starters I want to know if I could do with learning Python for behaviour modding - at least I could be getting on with that while I wait .

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16543 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:34 PM
There was a big difference with Simcity since the game requires you to be online to play the game. The whole Simcity launch wasn't as awefull as people seem to make it. Every game which requires a internet connection has launch problems and all the problems were solved after a week (you could play the game after 2/3 days waiting).

2 or 3 days? Sims City was on disaster watch for more than 2 or 3 days. At least a month - and that didn't stop the game from being a buggy mess. Not only that, players learned they didn't even need to be online in the first place.

A lot of factors went into the game being badgered the way it was. Forcing the player to be online when they didn't need to, as well as having problems with the game getting online in the first place at launch was their downfall.

Yes, it was that bad. I know because I followed the disaster.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Lab Assistant
#16544 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lilliandulcia
Guys get more representation in games and in gaming communities. Girls get pushed aside, called fakers, there's assumptions about wanting attention, only gaming to get boys, etc. This does not mean there is an actual decent sized gap between males and females in terms of gaming. It means there's discrimination against some types of gamers. Even you did it yourself. People who play a PC game, the Sims, aren't actual gamers for some arbitrary reason. The same thing happens with people who prefer Nintendo consoles. Nintendo isn't hard core enough for "real gamers" so if you play on Nintendo consoles you are considered "casual" and "not a real gamer." It is gaming elitism and a lot of it, especially the assumptions about girl gamers, is rooted in sexism. A lot of women even try to avoid people knowing they are women when they play games simply because they don't like the sexism that will come along with it when people find out.
Thank you!
Quote: Originally posted by Arisuka
Today I saw some character customization footage of a upcoming game (called 'Destiny' if someone is interested) and I couldn't help but to compare that to TS4 CAS. Can you imagine if textures like this were possible for TS4 through modding!
<Images that completely creeped me out>

Okay, now i finally get what they mean by uncanny valley. I can't imagine having one of these characters in my game doing the smustle or something.

Quote: Originally posted by Edero
Is it weird that I will buy this game?...
I have some bridges real cheap. Interested?

Depends on the situation. But in this case I would just take an average woman of 25 years who playes the Sims. She has <list of stereotypical stuff>
Think you are failing to take into account that an adult woman is fair more likely to have the disposable income to indulge herself in a high powered rig than a high schooler or college student. I may not be representative but most of the peopple I know who do have such machines are well into their 30s.

And the term 'casual' is interpreted by way to negative by everybody here. What has gore anything to do with being a casual game? Casual means it is accessible to many players.

To me a casual game is like candy crush or farmvilee or one of those f2p games that people play on their phone for a few minutes while waiting at the dentist. Something not requiring any learning curve or long term commitment and certainly not costing hundreds of dollars. Hardly an appropriate term in my eyes for a pastime which requires many hours of play and deep pockets.
#16545 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
Does this mean all the worlds will be connected and available to travel to?

Guessed answer: The ones you have chosen to connect, like TS2. Different saved games will have their seperate set of connected worlds.

Quote:
Can other sims from other worlds visit the world/town/neighborhood you live in?

Guessed answer: Yes, if the world is connected.

Field Researcher
#16546 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:39 PM
Multiplayer on TS4 can happen after launch, it all depends of what they are choosing: a safe launch, not a major meltdown madness like it did happen with SimCity.

It all depends if they completely abandoned the idea, or they are just trying to prepare the game for future expansions with major new features.
#16547 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:41 PM
That digital download version... do you think it will still force UK players to wait for days after USA players get it?

Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#16548 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:43 PM
Oh, Lord. I went on vacation for a week and really didn't have time to access my phones to read the forums. When I left, we were around page 480. I have no idea what's new (though I've been trying to catch up) but it certainly doesn't seem that E3 has bolstered much excitement or given many answers. Can anyone give me a quick rundown?

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
#16549 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:47 PM
If you watch SimsVIP interview with Graham, there were quite a few details given in that about how the world will hang together play-wise.

One Minute Ninja'd
#16550 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:49 PM Last edited by eskie227 : 16th Jun 2014 at 1:56 PM. Reason: double post avoidance
Lol people would still be asking them all over again. I hope some time he can identify the colleague who is the best go-to for modding and toolmaking questions. For starters I want to know if I could do with learning Python for behaviour modding - at least I could be getting on with that while I wait .

Actually, Python is kind of fun to mess with even if you don't need it for TS4 :D

Quote: Originally posted by heaven
Oh, Lord. I went on vacation for a week and really didn't have time to access my phones to read the forums. When I left, we were around page 480. I have no idea what's new (though I've been trying to catch up) but it certainly doesn't seem that E3 has bolstered much excitement or given many answers. Can anyone give me a quick rundown?

A quick rundown?

OK, here goes. Open hood is out, loading screens are in. Basements are out but adjustable height walls are in. Hills are out, flat lots are in. CAST is out, and so is a color wheel. But coordinated outfits will be in. Sims will be pulled and pressed like Gumby until you're happy with them (OK, not really new, just expanded upon). LTW's out, Aspirations in. Lots of emotions for both sims and players to experience.

Still on the unknown list: actual game play

There, 200 pages in 4 lines. I'm sure others can pipe up if I missed a highlight.
Locked thread
Page 662 of 817