Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 12:37 AM Last edited by Prime : 14th May 2020 at 4:49 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default SOLVED Video Codec Recording error in the sims 2 (won't compress recorded videos)
im having a problem with the sims 2. whenever i try to record a video it gives me this error message:

I always try to record the videos in high quality but the game is recording the clips in high quality uncompressed which i do not want because the files would be way too big on my computer.
can someone please tell me how i can fix this so i can record clips in the game in compressed high quality?
please help.
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#2 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 8:39 PM
here's a closer look at the error message im getting:

i wasnt able to locate the readme file at all. can someone please help me fix this?
Theorist
#3 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 9:16 PM
I don't know the answer, but just to ask, are you usin the game's video function or another program?

I don't do video's, but I do take pictures and I know for pictures usin the in game camera isn't that good. It's much better to use a picture program. I would guess the same would apply for videos too. So if you are usin the in game camera feature, maybe you should look into a video program that'll work with the game to give you quality where the in game one doesn't.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 10:05 PM
This is from the Sims 2 readme file:
Quote:
Advanced Tips: All the video capture settings default values are in an .ini file that you can edit. You can modify things like capture frame rate, default folder to capture to, file naming, capture size, max bit rate, and preferred codecs. Want to capture in a different codec? Just install the codec and then make it the preferred codec. The file is located here: My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\ConfigVideoCapture.ini.

So you could set your game to use any codec that you have installed.

By default, the game is set you use the ON2 VP6.1 codec. It's included with the disc and installed as part of the game installation. It sounds liike yours has become corrupted or uninstalled for some reason. If you wish to restore that you could try locating it on your Sims2 installation disc (or repairing the game if you have a digital copy or UC). Otherwise, you'd need to find a download of the VP6.1 codec to install.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Mar 2016 at 5:06 AM Last edited by Prime : 25th Mar 2016 at 6:27 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
This is from the Sims 2 readme file:

So you could set your game to use any codec that you have installed.

By default, the game is set you use the ON2 VP6.1 codec. It's included with the disc and installed as part of the game installation. It sounds liike yours has become corrupted or uninstalled for some reason. If you wish to restore that you could try locating it on your Sims2 installation disc (or repairing the game if you have a digital copy or UC). Otherwise, you'd need to find a download of the VP6.1 codec to install.

is there a specific location I have to download it into my computer to make it work?

UPDATE: I got it to work! thank so much
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 25th Mar 2016 at 6:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Prime
UPDATE: I got it to work! thank so much

Well done! I hope you can make some good sim movies now.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th May 2020 at 3:51 AM Last edited by Prime : 14th May 2020 at 4:49 AM.
I'm actually having this same problem again but i forgot how i fixed it can someone help?

UPDATE:

I figured out how to fix it again...
the codec is located in the sims 2 game disk in a folder called VP6 (not sure if it's different for other expansion packs, but that's where mine was in fun with pets)

copy the files vp6vfw.dll & vp6.reg onto your computer, put them in any folder (at least that's how it worked for me). Then click and run the vp6.reg file and it should install the codec onto your computer and it should work.

now i won't forget
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 17th May 2020 at 8:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Prime
I'm actually having this same problem again but i forgot how i fixed it can someone help?

UPDATE:

I figured out how to fix it again...
the codec is located in the sims 2 game disk in a folder called VP6 (not sure if it's different for other expansion packs, but that's where mine was in fun with pets)

copy the files vp6vfw.dll & vp6.reg onto your computer, put them in any folder (at least that's how it worked for me). Then click and run the vp6.reg file and it should install the codec onto your computer and it should work.

now i won't forget

your videos have some weird random artifacts like glitchy squares kinda thing? mine do and I've tried different codecs with same results
Instructor
#9 Old 7th Sep 2020 at 10:01 PM
Default I want to help with the subject
Quote: Originally posted by guirnaldas
your videos have some weird random artifacts like glitchy squares kinda thing? mine do and I've tried different codecs with same results

I would like to help the community in relation to the issue of video encoding in the sims 2 I have been a short time and I do not know where the tutorials are published.
Test Subject
#10 Old 10th Mar 2021 at 5:50 PM Last edited by tristannndianga : 14th Mar 2021 at 3:36 PM.
I still have this issue. What the article talks about is confusing because I've installed other codecs on my machine but now how do I set my game to use them?.
Also she talks about the .dll and .reg file. Where do I find it before copying?????

*Edit Solved. Check here
https://modthesims.info/showthread....0&cb=1615444080