Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jul 2020 at 9:19 PM
Apprenticing School Alternatives
I'm playing a premedieval household in TS3. 99% is just in my imagination. So... my swordsman sim wanted to take an apprentice because he was getting older and already had 2 failed courtships and wanted someone to take care of the house.

I used the adopt function then NRaas to remove familial relationship and age them to a teen, because I didn't want to deal with school twice. My idea for this apprenticeship was instead of school they'd be taught by my sim, so I switched them to Homeschooled (NRaas Careers feature I think), but instead of doing homework for a +10 boost (skipping hw does -20) their performance would go up by improving skills. Apprentices don't become masters before finishing their trade though, so I decided they gained +10 * Skill Level. So they'd finish their apprenticeship at skill level 4, or if there is more than one skill applicable to the trade they could have levels 1, 2, and 3 in 3 different skills for example.

I'm doing this by manually changing the School Performance with NRaas Master Controller, and well... that's tedious because every day it does -20 automatically which I have to undo manually. Since it's skill based and skills don't decrease over time it doesn't make sense that completion score should decrease over time. Anyway I was just thinking if NRaas could make Homeschooled an option anyone could make alternative schools right? Are there any mods that add homeschool options that involve doing activities like increasing skills rather than homework? Or any alternative schools, as they might be interesting for other games.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Jul 2020 at 3:31 AM
This may seem like a silly question (and it probably is), but what advantage is there to even having a school system in this world? If there are no schools, then there are no formal education requirements to be met and your actively played apprentices can spend more time concentrating on the skills they are supposed be building rather than other scholastic activities and whom to ask to the prom, etc.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Jul 2020 at 4:55 AM Last edited by Sweek : 12th Jul 2020 at 5:09 AM.
Hi Igazor, it's been a while. We've never really gotten to know each other so it's fine if you don't remember me. I think every thread I've ever posted on any Sims forum over the decades you replied to promptly though, sfaicr. Your replies are on every thread I find researching about the sims too. You're not an AI from the future are you?

Anyway... It's so that they're held accountable, get the certification of completing apprenticeship (diploma), and some Opportunities specific to the apprenticeship would be cool, et cetera. I play with very limited childhoods so if they slack off they could easily flunk out of the apprenticeship. I indeed looked into removing them from school entirely though, as that's better than going through the tedium I am right now. I couldn't find anything for that either aside from an old mod that also disabled the ability for teens to get jobs and for children to have after school activities whether they're in school or not with no way to disable the mod for specific sims or in general (other than deletion) if I change my mind, which I didn't like.

Maybe something like a career might work better now that I think about it, but children can't work careers... NRaas Careers has self employed careers, so something like that for the apprenticeships would be great if I could just make it unpaid, advancing like a profession, and at the final promotion getting the opportunity to switch careers to the career they trained for starting at a higher level or something. I guess if it's not possible to enable it for children that's fine, since younger apprentices mainly cleaned and cooked anyway. Assuming that doesn't already exist I might look into making them myself, but in the main time if you know a way to take them out of school that would help.

Edit:
Some more abilities for children would be nice too. I got my toddler to 5 handiness and now that he's a child I was hoping to use him for free labor upgrading all the plumbing to self cleaning but he can't. Working out doesn't increase athletics either...I've got a series of mods I've had forever that's supposed to expand them somewhat but I think they don't work anymore and I can't find them online to update, modders sig was JTP. I also just dld Kapaers mods, aside from the ones that might conflict. Unfortunately neither set helps me with those things.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th Jul 2020 at 5:27 AM
I don't know about "any" sims forum, I mean do have some standards. And I have already explained my true life state here a couple of times, although I'm not sure that more readers believed it rather than laughed at it so we'll just leave that be for now.

I take it this isn't really the kind of thing you had in mind, but it's what I keep thinking of whenever I hear the term Apprenticeship mentioned.
https://missyhissyschool.wordpress....ceship-program/

Perhaps what you are really after then is some variation on Zerbu's Ultimate Career mod as it applies to high schools through which you can design your own school curriculum using a combination of on-screen objects for use and a rabbit hole hidden away someplace on the lot? That's not exactly right either I suppose, but it's really the closest thing I can think of using tools that we know have already been designed for us.

The way children's skills are supposed to work with respect to activities (like repairing things) that they cannot yet do is that the skills should "pop" and give them a hefty head start once they reach an age like teen where they can do these things. You probably already know that though; sorry if this response is a bit disappointing all round compared to what you might have read from me elsewhere, but perhaps other players here have some more useful ideas to share.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Jul 2020 at 5:01 PM
Well there was this one Russian games forum where The Sims games are discussed that I didn't see you on, but it's not a sims forum specifically. I've even seen you comment on sims content on random personal sites. You did eh? *Googles* 852 links, countless screenshots, gave up after the first 100 or so random replies you made, all unrelated to the thing I actually searched for.

I see what you mean. It's kind of like what I want but it's a rabbithole instead of a profession. ... I think I'll get them anyway, even if I don't use them in this case I may later. Zerbu's is pretty cool too. Doesn't seem like I can create careers with it, but if I made the careers separately I could use it to implement them. Or I could just make them a profession to begin with... Well it still has some cool applications.

I'm not sure how hard that's going to be to make my own though. I've been making mods for games for over a decade, but never got into it with TS3. I'm not a programmer; just self taught modder; and the TS3 modding community has always been hostile the few times I looked into it... I can probably be satisfied with disabling school entirely, you know how to do that?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 12th Jul 2020 at 5:32 PM Last edited by igazor : 12th Jul 2020 at 6:03 PM.
Disabling school entirely -- just remove/bulldoze all of the schools from the world. I guess the Careers mod Schools module could also be removed so there will be no interference from automatically assigned specialty schools at the other rabbitholes in town and no homeschooling. Although with NRaas StoryProgression, you can prevent the private specialty schools and homeschooling from actually picking up any inactive students all on their own in case you wish to reserve these for a special few. Although I am not a historian, I can't say that there would really have been much of a formal schooling system as we know it today in place in pre-medieval times.

I do not participate or comment on all that many forums nor on personal blogs although I may be quoted or referenced on the latter. Much of what you are seeing on Google would probably be fake sites that scrape existing message board posts and copy them onto their own domains for whatever nefarious, ad-driven reason their owners or bots may have in mind. It should also be mentioned that my screen name is not unique, the internet after all is a pretty large place. But anyway, this might be what you were looking for.

I do not find the TS3 modding community to be hostile. But TS3 script modding requires C# and .NET skills, it's not like editing xml tuning files or using S3PE. So when a player says they have no programming background and will not be learning these languages but they wish to be taught how to script mod anyway, they are not likely to get a very helpful or sympathetic response I'm afraid. That doesn't mean you can't figure out script modding on your own by going through the available tutorials, but the chances of success are going to be much more reasonable if you understand the programming language first.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Jul 2020 at 11:22 PM Last edited by Sweek : 12th Jul 2020 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Fixed smilies
I see... I'll think about that, but I'm worried about messing things up too much and having to restore it generations later when public schools are established. NRaas let's you have summers off, it's a shame it can't be used to take the whole year off heh.

Same photo too, but you're right. If you're very active/famous here and on NRaas that's enough that it makes sense that people would impersonate you and/or steal your posts for views. You being a plumbot would also explain it though. But either way you're always super helpful and I really appreciate it. Even now you've introduced me to some really cool mods I didn't know about.

I'm not really the charismatic type, so I am working with that disadvantage when I talk to people too. Well I'm actually fine generally in person, but I'm not good at the... unique phrasing; I guess you'd call it; that people use online. Netiquette maybe?

In my mind I'm being normal but some people might say I'm improperly expressing tone and emotion online with my phrasing. I don't understand how anyone does it, since anyone can choose to read things in any tone they want to I don't see how phrasing makes a difference. Well you tell me, do I sound terrible?

As for my modding abilities, I did make mods for Diablo II in Hexadecimal (before the encryption in v1.10). Reading and understanding code comes rather easy to me, so the easiest way I can learn to mod for a game is by just looking at the code and figuring out the logic of it. When I started I learned how to make all the mods I made by hacking the games code like that, but nowadays with encryption in games that's not possible (without the type of encryption and the decryption code), and I don't think I've ever seen an open source mod for TS3.

Some modding communities everything is open source (like Cities: Skylines, or Banished), and I'm able to learn immediately and pump out my own mods. But my memory isn't the best, so if I don't use it for a while I'll have to learn it again. Since I'm not a programmer I can go months without looking at code, makes it hard to even remember what I was doing on my own mods.

I am a certified computer graphic designer so that parts never an issue. I have blender too, but I do have to relearn it every time I need to use it for animations on a new game. There are also so many different languages games are made in. I might learn Java or C++ for one, then it's years before I play a game that uses that language again.

I did actually take a class on Java a few years back, but haven't used it since and I don't remember any of it now. I'm worried the same thing would happen if I took a class on C#. If I wasn't excited to not have to code anymore when the class was over and then avoid making eye contact with it for 2 months, then be discouraged because I already forgot so much, I might make a mod or two before I went looking back in my 1k+ game queue and widdle that down for a year, and when I go back to TS3 I'll have to learn it all over again as though I'd never taken the class and the money would just be wasted.

But anyway... it's been a while now since I last tried for TS3, so maybe there are some tutorials I can find that'll work for me. I can't learn from video tutorials (personal defect) which has made tutorials harder to find for me in this YouTube-centric world. I think the best coding tutorial I ever found was Microsoft's Excel page, where it wasn't even a tutorial it just listed all the codes possible, had a brief explanation in English of what it did, and showed examples of how it was used. Know anything like that for C# or .NET? It would really help me, especially because when I forget I can just use it to learn again.

Sorry for the long reply xO :hands clasped: Thank you for your help!
Mad Poster
#8 Old 13th Jul 2020 at 12:05 AM Last edited by igazor : 13th Jul 2020 at 12:19 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sweek
NRaas let's you have summers off, it's a shame it can't be used to take the whole year off heh.

Sure you can. Set the Game Options so that summer is the only possible season. That's kind of a drastic trade-off though and it wouldn't really remove the education requirement, it would just make it impossible for anyone other than those who are homeschooled to progress through it (homeschooling does not honor summer vacations).

...since anyone can choose to read things in any tone they want to I don't see how phrasing makes a difference. Well you tell me, do I sound terrible?

Yes, absolutely horrible. That is why we are having this conversation, I like talking to nasty, terrible people who offer nothing but a total waste of time. Of course I am joking here.

I don't think I've ever seen an open source mod for TS3.

All NRaas mods are open sourced and have been since Twallan's retirement over six years ago. It is not the general practice of TS3 mod developers to do this even when they retire/become inactive, his doing so was more of a final gift to the TS3 community upon his departure from it. I really don't think this is the best of places to start though. As more of an observer and tester along the way than a real participant in the modding process, it strikes me that the game is far too complex and discombobulated to be able to jump right in and start script modding something. But certainly, if we still have an audience on this thread, there must be others with more experience who can comment here.
http://www.nraas.net/community/Crea...n-NRaas-project

But anyway... it's been a while now since I last tried for TS3, so maybe there are some tutorials I can find that'll work for me. I can't learn from video tutorials (personal defect) which has made tutorials harder to find for me in this YouTube-centric world. I think the best coding tutorial I ever found was Microsoft's Excel page, where it wasn't even a tutorial it just listed all the codes possible, had a brief explanation in English of what it did, and showed examples of how it was used. Know anything like that for C# or .NET? It would really help me, especially because when I forget I can just use it to learn again.

I am not a mod developer and do not work in object oriented languages. Most modern programmers would scoff at the scripting languages I work in (for my actual job). It is my intent to learn C# or whatever variant we will be on some day, but there just aren't enough hours in the day for me to fit that in right now. All of that is meant to say I can't really be the one to recommend good training tools for something I have yet to learn myself.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Jul 2020 at 1:11 AM
Haha well... some people like me, but I think some people find me annoying I guess. In forums or group chats I often end up in a situation where a group of people who have long known each other start ganging up on me for every little thing (or made up things that aren't even true) and then I get banned for asking them why / calling them out on it. This is why I'm not much of an internet person, I'm afraid if I'm too active in a forum I might annoy some clique and they'll get me banned.

Like one time on a Diablo forum on the lfg (looking for group) section I made a post looking for people to play with in private games, mentioning I couldn't stand the bots in the open games. Banned for soliciting. Sometimes I just don't understand people... Maybe I'm actually a plumbot too. It would explain some things. xD

Really?!? I didn't realize that he'd made them open source Well I'll check those out, and look around for some tutorials and reference guides on those languages. Thanks for the info.

I get what you mean about the time constraints, that's part of why I can't do video tutorials (that and lack of audio memory). Too much time wasted on filler, which is true of written tutorials too but videos are harder to skip through and quickly find the relevant parts without missing anything. With the methods I use of just looking at code or reference material like I did with MS Excel everything I'm seeing I'm learning, saves time that would've been wasted on filler. Classes can help me learn something too, since they force me to keep it in my regular schedule. I just have to keep using it afterwards so I don't lose it.

Thanks again for the help. Since I am such a loner; and I game hop; the amount of time it takes me to use a sims forum again is unpredictable, but I can always use good people to talk to so feel free to message me on Discord anytime: monsterhart#3405