Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#176 Old 5th Apr 2016 at 1:50 PM
It's all the bars. Every damn one of 'em. Including ones I know worked in the Uni only configuration, at bars that spawn them just fine in the draft Bigg City I have attached to my Widespot.

At the moment I'm forging ahead assuming that one of my spawn-suppressors is doing it, but it's weird and I don't like weird things in development that I don't understand.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Advertisement
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#177 Old 5th Apr 2016 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
At the moment I'm forging ahead assuming that one of my spawn-suppressors is doing it.

That would make sense. And if you take out all of your mods, does the game spawn a bartender? If you really have to have a bartender NPC, then I'd temporarily take all mods out, let the game generate a bartender NPC and move all mods to the Downloads folder.

Alternatively, you could use the NPC and Townie Maker. Just click on "Generate NPC EP2/... Bartender"
Do not choose the one in the normal "Generate NPC" option, this bartender is the one who can be hired if your sims throw a party. But you need the other one who appears at community lots - BartenderEP2, not Bartender.

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#178 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 8:29 PM
Okay, suddenly I have a bartender. But only with one bar. There has to be more than one NPC-generating bar with this EP combo! Doesn't there? It's so discouraging to have to use the same bar in the seedy dive as in the classy billiard room.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Trainee Moderator
#179 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 8:36 PM
You could replace each bar with that working bar. And when you're done with the population and when all the sims are in that stage where you want them, you can restore each bar.

By the way, all of the bars in Bigg City spawn a bartender NPC in my game. I'm not sure why it doesn't spawn in your game.

Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#180 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 8:47 PM
If they can be expected to spawn in other people's games I won't worry about it. I don't need them to for development. I just don't want people to have to go around replacing bars themselves in order for the lot to function.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#181 Old 18th Apr 2016 at 11:37 PM
Dammit dammit dammit...
Desired Result: A graveyard in the good part of town where the Bigg family and a handful of others haunt, so you can see that MJ and Max Bigg died in platinum and their wives did not, get different kinds of ghosts, etc.
The Plan: Kill Max and Minnie Bigg of old age at 1 Industry Street, let ghosts spawn. Done.
Kill MJ of old age, put all three graves into Lil's inventory, move family to the Castle in the Enclave (#8), let MJ spawn. Done.
Kill some adults by various types of death at San Simeon Chapel with it as a residential lot, to preserve ghost types. Done.
Put graves back into Lil's inventory, move her into San Simeon Chapel by herself. Place graves. Keep her there till ghosts spawn, cleaning up the remains of their deaths; then kill her of old age, place her grave, change to community lot.

So I'm all set to send Lil to San Simeon and go to put the urns into her inventory again. They've been behaving normally since they moved - MJ and Minnie have both spawned in the new location, no sign of anything wrong. But when I try to put them into inventory, I get an error, related not to the character but to the grave's type. Resetting doesn't help; canceling doesn't help. Only Delete stops the parade of errors, and then there's no sign of the grave - her inventory is empty and it's not anywhere in the room. Presumably this is like deleting a person who's erroring out, and they'd be back if I saved, quit, and came in again. I have both the corruption preventers for death, so it ought to be all right. But - what if it's not? I'd have to go back a backup and try again, without having any idea what went wrong the first time.

When I run the Hoodchecker I routinely get memories involving these dead sims - actually, no, I think just MJ - being remembered by someone who doesn't exist, much like the Tricou ones you get in a normal downtown. Related, or not?

I could, with only a little tooth-grinding, go back a few backups (only three, I think) to before the move, have everybody stop off in San Simeon to drop off the urns and clean up and let people spawn, and just send Lil to the rezoned Chapel in the normal way. The Plan seemed simpler, in that I wouldn't have to remove memories of a superfluous move from the entire family, just from Lil.

I want to understand the problem before I undertake to fix it, to save on the trial and error, if I can. So, anybody got a good working hypothesis?

Oh, while I'm at it - Treys fathered a kid on side between MJ dying and Lil dying, so Lil has a memory of "meeting" a grandchild she should know nothing about, and of course the kids all have family tags with her though they're ignorant of her. She's intended to grow up on the bad side of town and become the leader of the Firewall Gang. If it were you doing this, how would you handle it? I'm not sold on the idea of selectively removing family tags; but I don't really need the Bigg kids being jealous on behalf of a half-sister they don't know anything about...On the other hand, manipulating the relationships and implying that the family recently found out about her could amp up the drama factor. I'm still brainstorming on this one and would welcome fresh eyes on the situation.

Trainee Moderator
#182 Old 19th Apr 2016 at 7:24 AM
I'm not sure why the game does that. I thought it's possible to move graves multiple times and they don't get corrupted by this.
You could also use "Move tombstone to community lot" method rather than the inventory method. Maybe that is safer.

I'd go back to the backup before the move and try it again.

As for the memories, I'd make a list of unwanted memories for each individual sim and remove the memories once you're finished with populating the neighborhood.
The game still adds memories for dead sims, so a deceased grandmother still gets memories of her grandchild when the grandchild grows up, gets married, etc.

I find it quite annoying but there's no mod for that yet. I requested such a mod at Simbology and BoilingOil said that he'll have a look at it. But I haven't got any news about the mod yet.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#183 Old 20th Apr 2016 at 1:55 PM
But wouldn't send it normally lose the platinum quality?

Trainee Moderator
#184 Old 20th Apr 2016 at 3:58 PM
No, the move option only removes the death type but not the platinium state. So your perma-plat ghosts still have their precious gold/silver tombstone.
You can fix the death type by shift-clicking on the tombstones and then choosing the death type of your ghost. Then the ghosts will get fixed but you need to move someone into the graveyard to do this. The last sim who moves into the graveyard could do this, for instance. Then the ghosts will appear in colors.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#185 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 11:30 PM
I walked away from this for a few days to figure out how I want to approach it. The trouble with going back before the move is that not only do I lose a lot of development, but there's no reason to think that doing it again would be any different (and it would take a long time to find out!), so I'd have to leave Lil behind till MJ spawned, send somebody else to clean up and die at San Simeon Chapel, and then send somebody else to move in after Lil to move her. If the graves will move to San Simeon all right through the "move tombstone" method, I might as well do it from where I am and save a lot of replaying that might not work out so satisfactorily next time.

So I made a back up, got back in, "moved all graves" to the Old Churchyard, saved, and went to check the Old Churchyard - all safe, three old age stones and one disease stone that hasn't spawned a ghost yet. Fine. Restored the backup, moved the maid in with the vampire he works for, saved, killed him from fright to get pictures, quit without saving, moved him into San Simeon, got him to clean up the residue of the three deaths that took place there, killed him for reals, placed his grave, saved, changed lot zoning, saved, got out, got in again, replaced the mailbox with a phone booth and the residential trashbin with the community one (in slightly different places, but I've done that before and it doesn't mess things up that I can tell), made sure all the existing graves were in order, saved, went to the Bigg house, moved the three old-age stones to San Simeon Chapel with no visible problem.

Back to San Simeon to take them from the curb to place where I wanted them - no tombstones! Checked the Old Churchyard, in case I'd screwed up - no tombstones.

Ran Hoodchecker; got no errors and no dialog offering to send the graves anywhere. Got back in, checked again - no tombstones!

Presumably I can respawn them but again, there's no reason to think they'd behave differently once I did. I don't want to leave them in the house - that just makes them the player's problem further down the line and that's a mean trick to play. Functioning graveyards full of viable ghosts are the goal here; no half-measures!

Suggestions? I can't figure out what I did wrong.

Trainee Moderator
#186 Old 28th Apr 2016 at 9:04 AM Last edited by Jawusa : 28th Apr 2016 at 10:01 AM.
Suggestions? I can't figure out what I did wrong.

Nor do I. But I might find it out if you upload your current neighborhood version and the one before the tombstones got removed. Then I can compare the two neighborhoods in SimPE and might find a solution for this.

ETA: You say that the tombstones disappeared after you moved the tombstones from one lot to another but before that, all of the tombstones were there, right?
I believe that's exactly the problem. By moving the tombstones, I believe that the game tried to find the main hood, couldn't find it, so that's why the tombstones got deleted. Since Bigg City is a downtown subhood and a main hood at the same time. So what happens if you convert the neighborhood into a main hood, kill all the desired sims and such and then convert the neighborhood into Downtown? Does the game delete any tombstones then?

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#187 Old 28th Apr 2016 at 3:00 PM
But it worked the first time, when I sent them to the Old Churchyard in a bunch as a test. It was shipping them individually to San Simeon after I changed the zoning on it that didn't work. Hmm, that should mean there's something wrong with San Simeon, rather than the graves...I wonder if I messed up the portal?

I haven't go the computer with the game on it even turned on yet this morning, but I'll upload the two versions in a bit.

Trainee Moderator
#188 Old 28th Apr 2016 at 5:09 PM
Picking the lot and placing it back to the neighborhood would fix any broken portals (if there are any).
Double check that both of the lots are community lots and have a photo booth.

Try doing the "inventory" method rather than the "move all graves" method - do the graves disappear then?

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#189 Old 28th Apr 2016 at 11:01 PM Last edited by Peni Griffin : 29th Apr 2016 at 3:55 PM.
I can't get them into inventory at all, remember? That's the only reason I'm bothering with moving graves rather than following the original plan of having Lil carry them there.

I'm attaching 3 versions of the hood (with the storytelling folders deleted to save space) and hope you can catch where I went wrong.
"Lastbackupbeforemove" still has MJ alive and the Biggs living at 1 Industry Street. I thought I'd made a backup after killing MJ and before moving, but apparently not, so this'll have to do and is the point I'd have to roll back to, if the error was created on putting the graves into inventory. San Simeon is a residential lot containing the graves of Edith Pilaf, Bette Noir, and Larry Penates.
"Inventorygravestrouble" is saved right before the point of packing the graves into Lil's inventory and moving her off to San Simeon to clean up and die. There are four graves in the Bigg house in the Enclave - MJ Biggs, Minnie Biggs, Max Biggs, all old age and in the front parlor, and Cornelia Stone, disease, in the master bedroom. All have spawned ghosts at least once, except Cornelia. If I have to use the "move graves" method, I don't want to send Cornelia, because she'll lose her death type. The Biggs family need to all be buried at San Simeon, the fancy graveyard.
"Gravesvanished" is the most recent version. Alan Trottier, dead of fright, has been added to San Simeon, the tidying up done, and the zoning changed. I then went back to the Biggs residence and moved MJ, Minnie, and Max individually, leaving Cornelia in her urn upstairs. All three generated messages and appeared to wave good-bye, at which point I saved and went over to San Simeon and couldn't find them.

Anybody who wants to is welcome to poke around and see what they can figure out that I did wrong. A lot has happened between the move and discovering the problem, and the less of it I have to go back and do the happier I'll be; and if I do have to go back all the way to before MJ's death, I want to do it knowing I can forestall the problem this time.

ETA: Okay, I'm trying to attach the damn things and it's not working and I have an important school play to go to, so tune in later when I have time to sort it out!

ETAM: Here we are at last. When figuring out what went wrong, the possibility that I made an obvious and careless mistake that I still can't see should not be ruled out. I'm making too many of those lately.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  DGBC-gravesvanished.7z (41.79 MB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Description: San Simoleon is a community lot, the graves have been sent, but they've never arrived.
File Type: 7z  DGBC-lastbackupbeforemove.7z (38.88 MB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Biggs are living at 1 Industry Street and MJ is still alive. San Simeon is a residential lot with graves on it. Old Churchyard is functioning properly, with graves sent using the "move to" option.
File Type: 7z  DGBC-inventorygravestrouble.7z (41.77 MB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Saved right before I discovered the problem. Putting graves in Lil's inventory preparatory to moving her into San Simeon generates error messages.

Trainee Moderator
#190 Old 29th Apr 2016 at 7:17 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 29th Apr 2016 at 9:40 PM.
Okay! I had a look into the neighborhoods. I can't find a solution for inventorygravestrouble but I was able to fix the grave stones in gravesvanished.
For some reason, the game still recognizes the lot as a residential lot but is actually a community lot.

I believe that's exactly the problem. When you killed the sims in San Simeon Chapel, did you quit to the neighborhood view first before changing the lot type or did you do that just after the sim died and the Grim Reaper left?
It looks like you converted the lot directly into a community lot right after the last sim died. But I cannot know that, of course. Maybe that has corrupted the lot a little.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#191 Old 29th Apr 2016 at 8:02 PM
I'm trying to remember and I can't be sure. I know I saved after Grim left (obviously, or I wouldn't have Alan's grave there), and I know I got out of the lot after I'd changed it to community and came back in to change the mailbox and wastebasket. Since I can't specifically remember leaving the lot between the death and changing the zoning, let's assume I didn't and this is the problem, despite the game appearing to give me San Simeon as an option when I moved the graves.

I'd be interested to know what you did to fix the graves in that version, but if I did it wrong I think it'd be safer to replay that little bit and do it right this time, rather than to patch it up afterward.

Thanks. Sometimes I think I've bitten off more than I can chew here, but thank goodness I don't have to chew it alone.

Trainee Moderator
#192 Old 29th Apr 2016 at 8:10 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 29th Apr 2016 at 9:42 PM.
Basically, this is your 'gravesvanished' version but without the invisible Trottier household and a fixed non-occupied San Simeon Chapel.

These are the things that I did in this version:
- Removed the Trottier household and its text file in SimPE - Loaded San Simeon Chapel (still no graves), changed it into residential lot, added mailbox and trash can
- Moved a sim* into San Simeon Chapel, gravestones appeared! Great. Saved and moved out sim and moved her in into her actual household. (Diver)
- Opened the neighborhood in SimPE, subtracted 8 from the U11 field to prevent furnitures to be removed at San Simeon Chapel.
- Loaded San Simeon Chapel, changed it into a community lot and removed the mailbox and the trashcan.

*I let Lil find her own place, moved her into San Simeon Chapel to fix up things and then, I moved her out and moved her into the Diver household.
And I made sure that everything was just like before I did anything. So if you go into the Diver household, you won't see any differences. (I hope!)

I did some experiments and I found out that I'm completely wrong! Sorry! Just ignore my previous posts. I'd still remove the Trottier household and its text file, though. It's an empty household and just increases the file size.

Anyway.. the graves - they didn't disappear because San Simeon Chapel was occupied by the Trottier household. I don't understand why they disappear but it happens if you move in someone to kill sims while it's a residential lot, convert it back into a community and send graves using the "Move all graves" option to the cemetary lot. Basically, it happens if you mix the two cemetary methods together. The lost graves can be retrieved if you change the cemetary back to a residential lot, move someone in, kill that sim and change the lot back to a communiy lot.

Fortunately, this issue gets fixed by itself if you attach the subhood to a neighborhood. Probably because of the new lot ID number...
So the player will be able to send more graves to both San Simeon Chapel and Old Chrchyard and the graves will appear there with no problems.

Just kill the sims you want and move any graves you want. Don't worry about disappearing graves. This bug is only present in standalone subhoods; it gets fixed once the subhood is added to a neighborhood.
And if you moved all the sims you want, you can create the last sim who will move into the graveyard and make all the moved graves visible. You can make the last sim a ghost, but you can also make him a Downtownie if you think you have too many ghosts.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  DGBC_ProbablyFixedGravesVanished.7z (42.01 MB, 26 downloads) - View custom content

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#193 Old 29th Apr 2016 at 9:44 PM
I'm so confused and beginning to question my wisdom in wanting to make an inhabited downtown...At least I expect I'm the last person who will ever do this!

Trainee Moderator
#194 Old 29th Apr 2016 at 9:59 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 10th Sep 2016 at 9:52 AM.
Maybe it's just me who causes all the confusion. I know I'm bad at explaining stuff.

I'll try again.
Download my fixed version and continue with the development. Max's, Minnie's and MJ's graves are fixed in that version.
If you want to move more graves to San Simeon Chapel, don't panic if they disappear. Let me know if you do so and I'll help you out.
The graves are actually on the lot, but are inivisible for some reason. But there's a trick to retrieve the graves.

Don't worry about this bug. It gets fixed if the game changes the lot ID number. Then, you can move graves without any issues.

Please don't give up in populating Bigg City.
I'm sure it will be a great subhood!

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#195 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 2:59 AM
Oh, don't worry, I am much to close to finished to quit now! After I kill Lil it's just a matter of growing up the current teens and kids, with some staggered aging/killing of the current adults and elders, starting the next generation, and setting up the Firewall Gang and various story-seed relationships for each household. From there it's all weeding the storytelling folder and putting the upload thread together. Compared to what's gone before it's all fairly straightforward.

And you've been super-helpful. I'm afraid I'm easily confused at the moment.

Trainee Moderator
#196 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 9:29 PM
Oh, don't worry, I am much to close to finished to quit now! After I kill Lil it's just a matter of growing up the current teens and kids, with some staggered aging/killing of the current adults and elders, starting the next generation, and setting up the Firewall Gang and various story-seed relationships for each household. From there it's all weeding the storytelling folder and putting the upload thread together. Compared to what's gone before it's all fairly straightforward.

Sorry to resurrect your thread... but where are you now at this neighborhood?
Did you kill Lil? Or are there any other things which need to be done first?

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#197 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 2:38 AM
Lil is dead and I've done some growing up, but I didn't get very far before Health Crap rendered me incapable of tracking all the things I needed to track, even with notes. At this point I don't know if I can get back to it by the end of the year, as I'm still waiting on the medical thing that will allow me to get enough good sleep to start rebuilding all my good habits.

Once I get there, though, I think it's a week's worth of work. Allowing for Hoffsteader's Law (Everything takes longer than planned, even if you took Hoffsteader's Law into account when making the plan) maybe it'll take me a month. But I have to get into a state where I can start that work, first.

Trainee Moderator
#198 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 9:58 AM
There's no need to rush things. It also took me a year to set up a complicated neighborhood like Emerald Heights. If you rush things up, then you start forgetting to do important steps and start realizing that you corrupted your neighborhood, which means you have to restore from the recent back-up and redo everything all over again.

So, sometimes it's better to do things slowly.

By the way, were you able to solve your crashing issues? Was it really because of too much CC?
I've read about them in your tumblr.

My Simblr
Lab Assistant
#199 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 4:05 AM
Any update on this?

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#200 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 4:23 PM
Alas, no. It's frustrating because I know I have less than a week of work (probably) on the populated version to have it where I want it; but between computer troubles and Health Crap I haven't had the confidence to tackle it.

And then I'll have to get a screenshot program working reliably...

Page 8 of 9