Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#126 Old 24th Jun 2018 at 5:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Yvelotic2001
When it comes to interior decoration, my entry will be very similar to yours, kanzen! I guess great minds think alike

I look forward to yours then =)

Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
@kanzen I like the modern look and angular shape of your roofs. I also like your use of fencing for exterior structure deco, very neat!

They're good sunlight barriers and very stylish xD I had my blistering hot country in mind so all the shade is welcome in my book.

Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Peni and kanzen, those lots look wonderful and I would love to be able to download them! Also, Peni, it's LAS Cabezas.

Thank you =) I'll try to upload them today or tomorrow.
I want to make an unfurnished version with uniform colors instead of red/blue/yellow so players can choose which unit they want freely without being limited to the furnishings/colors already there. Plus cheaper rent lmao
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#127 Old 24th Jun 2018 at 7:57 AM
Did I read somewhere that under-stair storage units are allowed?
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#128 Old 24th Jun 2018 at 9:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw
Did I read somewhere that under-stair storage units are allowed?
Not if they're CC. You could put stuff under the stairs as deco if you want to though.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Instructor
#129 Old 24th Jun 2018 at 11:29 PM
Glad I play tested my lot. Found a couple of object placement faux pas that I was able to correct. I have tested one of the unit for noise, it passed with flying colours . Now let's see the other 3.
Link Ninja
#130 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 12:42 AM Last edited by Charmful : 25th Jun 2018 at 4:58 AM. Reason: Added note at end
Default Round 1: Rowhouses
City Nests

Number of Units: 3

The City Nests are a row of town homes for lease located across from the City Hall in downtown Scandalica City. The facade of each unit contains brick and then a solid color plaster exterior marking the entrance on the second (Main) story. These are for long term living, fully furnished and decorated.

The bedrooms that share walls with other units are sound proofed by either a closet or items that muffle neighborly noises. Each Unit has a lower, main floor, and upper floor with differing layouts. Each unit also contains 2.5 baths, with a toilet on each level, phone connections on each level, and a private patio in the back accessed from the main floor. All Units are outfitted with sprinklers and security systems.

The row houses are owned and maintained by the same landlord, so there are some similarities found throughout each but each unit has it's own distinct aesthetic.
Please read below for more details on each of these units.

*Note about pics: I re-purposed 6 of the 8 'extra structural shots' Gummi allowed for unit pics on top of the 4 count so each unit contains 6. Also the chairs are pushed in to show how they would look when a sim is living there and I pulled them out so they would act normally for desks/tables in play testing afterward.

I hope you enjoyed the tour of the City Nests! I do plan on uploading this.

EDIT:
Ellu asked a very good question and I want to clarify for any other judges - but the stairs are not modular with the stage landing, they are a custom stairs objects called 'Sims 2 Half-Landing Stairs ' from Simlogical.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Test Subject
#131 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 6:42 AM
I've got apartment mania! I've never done a contest before but this seems like a great start since I love apartments. Quick question: are cc gates allowed as well? Thanks!
Mad Poster
#132 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Treehawk
I've got apartment mania!

YAY! Welcome newcomer I can't wait to see what you build! Be sure you read everything carefully from the first post And, if you have any questions - don't hesitate to ask. We are a friendly bunch and enjoy helping each other.

As for CC gates - I would think yes. Because CC fences are allowed, and CC doors... and gates are just doors for fences.
BUT - the decision is up to the host/Gummi. So, until she chimes in, the answer is: ???

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Forum Resident
#133 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 7:39 PM
I spent last night play testing, and everything seems to work, but I noticed one oddity. I had a family rent a furnished apartment, and then visited the neighbours. In one unit, one of the neighbour's seats was missing and in another a bedroom was almost empty. However, when my testing family moved into those apartments, the furniture was there. I don't normally decorate apartments beyond bare essentials, so I've never seen that happen before. Is it normal? Could it be because a couple of the items on the lot had been placed with the quarter tile placement or moveobjects and overlapped? Other items placed that way did appear at neighbours' units, but all the missing objects were either placed with the quarter tile or were pieces of overlapping deco.
Link Ninja
#134 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 7:49 PM
I haven't noticed that, but I can double check later and try to have one of my tenants visit their neighbor. I have plenty of items on quartertile.

Top Secret Researcher
#135 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 9:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
YAY! Welcome newcomer I can't wait to see what you build! Be sure you read everything carefully from the first post And, if you have any questions - don't hesitate to ask. We are a friendly bunch and enjoy helping each other.

As for CC gates - I would think yes. Because CC fences are allowed, and CC doors... and gates are just doors for fences.
BUT - the decision is up to the host/Gummi. So, until she chimes in, the answer is: ???

I didn't even think to ask, but my first entry has CC gates to go with the black fence. (A Maxi's gate would look pretty stupid with non-matching CC fence.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#136 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 9:42 PM
Sorry for the lack of replies for the past two days, I've been working night shifts and that leaves little to no time for anything but eating, sleeping and working. Haven't worked there since last summer so I'd forgotten just how intense it gets, will give you guys a heads up next time I have double shifts planned

Really fun to see the entries coming in! Always really cool to see the different directions people go from the same instructions. I hope many of you will consider uploading your creations

Quote: Originally posted by kanzen
Is it okay to have this price for 4-6 sims?

Nope! You've got backyards that you could shave off a couple of tiles from to bring the rent down under 6k, so unless you can motivate why the backyards have to be that size that counts as going over budget. The idea is for you guys to have to actually try and think about prize and only go above if you really need to for a specific reason, so either come up with a good reason (many Sims it not in itself a good reason, see my example in reply to Charmful on one of the earlier pages) or find a way to reduce rent

Quote: Originally posted by PenelopeT
@gummilutt - The play-along sounds perfect, so could you please add me to the list. Thank you for suggesting it!

Will do! Glad you'll be tagging along in some manner

Quote: Originally posted by Treehawk
I've got apartment mania! I've never done a contest before but this seems like a great start since I love apartments. Quick question: are cc gates allowed as well? Thanks!

Welcome! Very fun that we have a couple of newcomers As for question, as Catherine already deduced the answer is yes. CC fence gates are allowed since they are doors for fences

Quote: Originally posted by stitching
Is it normal? Could it be because a couple of the items on the lot had been placed with the quarter tile placement or moveobjects and overlapped?

Hasn't happened to me as far as I can remember, but I don't visit surrounding neighbors much as I find it's a bit buggy in general, so it could be I just don't do it enough to have come across it.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Forum Resident
#137 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 11:46 PM
guess I'll be chopping off the backyard lmao
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#138 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 12:47 AM
Since you are only very mildly over the limit I suspect one or two rows from the back will be enough

Space Pony
#139 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 1:44 AM
Is it normal? Could it be because a couple of the items on the lot had been placed with the quarter tile placement or moveobjects and overlapped?

I have no idea is it normal but happened to me too

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Forum Resident
#140 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 4:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Since you are only very mildly over the limit I suspect one or two rows from the back will be enough

I trimmed the backyard and added a privacy treeline outside and a jogging track =))
now it's down to 5,600-ish max
that good? xD
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#141 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 9:40 AM
Sounds great Just make sure you update pictures for the judges

Speaking of pictures, I have talked to all three judges and they are okay with an increase. So from round 2 you will be allowed to have 6 pictures per unit

Alchemist
#142 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 6:06 PM
I spent last night play testing, and everything seems to work, but I noticed one oddity. I had a family rent a furnished apartment, and then visited the neighbours. In one unit, one of the neighbour's seats was missing and in another a bedroom was almost empty. However, when my testing family moved into those apartments, the furniture was there.

That sounds like normal, vanilla behavior and nothing to do with how you placed the objects. I've noticed that neighbors rent apartments in much the same way playables rent unfinished apartments--not everything stays, only the essentials do. And even then, some stuff you might consider essential/permanent don't show up--that second counter in the bathroom, the double bed in the master, the computer at the desk, or the dishwasher, etc., can all come and go.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Instructor
#143 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 9:00 PM
I finished my playtesting and I found I successfully noise proofed the bedrooms. Layout problems were corrected and everything seems to be working fine, so I think I am ready to set up my application. I will do that in a moment.

EDIT: Do we have to take pictures of every unit's rent or can we just take a picture of the minnimum and maximum rents shown from hood view. At least that's what other contestants have done so far.
Test Subject
#144 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 10:12 PM
Another quick question: Do Store items count as CC? Oh Baby, Cubic, etc? Thanks again! This is so fun!
Link Ninja
#145 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 11:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Yvelotic2001
I finished my playtesting and I found I successfully noise proofed the bedrooms. Layout problems were corrected and everything seems to be working fine, so I think I am ready to set up my application. I will do that in a moment.

EDIT: Do we have to take pictures of every unit's rent or can we just take a picture of the minnimum and maximum rents shown from hood view. At least that's what other contestants have done so far.

@Yvelotic2001 - rent pictures can be the range from the neighborhood view, the only time Gummi required each rent's unit (composited) is if it goes more than the recommended price she laid out on her first post.

Forum Resident
#146 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 8:54 AM
Sounds great Just make sure you update pictures for the judges

Speaking of pictures, I have talked to all three judges and they are okay with an increase. So from round 2 you will be allowed to have 6 pictures per unit

Noted! <3
I'll update it a little later...
Mad Poster
#147 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 4:51 PM
From Round 2 on; this first one we still only get 4. I know, I misread it the first time, too, but that's an important clause.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Link Ninja
#148 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 6:18 PM
We get four per unit but can re purpose any of the 8 'extra structure' shots for units per post #99

Forum Resident
#149 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 8:33 AM
I have a few questions.
Additional shots
You may add an additional 8 shots of the structure (what part you show is up to you), and an additional 4 (6) for each unit up to a maximum of 20 pictures (24). So 28 (32) + required screenshots is the most you could have.

1. I'm a bit a bit confused by the change in picture limits for future rounds. In round 1, it looks to me like the maximum number of shots was based on 4 shots of up to five apartment units (4*5=20). In future rounds is the maximum based on 6 shots of up to four units (6*4=24)? With the final round having 6+ units, will all the 8 additional shots have to be used for the extra two apartments, or will showing only some apartments be OK, or will the maximum number of shots change again?

2. In rounds 2 and 3, can the units be detached?

3. Are we allowed to use career or aspiration rewards in the apartments?

Thank you.
Forum Resident
#150 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 6:28 PM
Round 1: Rowhouse

This contest started just as I was building an inn/tavern for my new fantasy-medieval town, and I decided to expand the building and convert it to a four-plex. It then reminded me of a converted coach house I lived near as a child, so I expanded the building further to include garages - at some point the inn had been re-purposed. The newest renovation has resulted in an apartment building with four units, all have modern plumbing, electricity, telephones, fire and burglar alarms, and fireplaces. Bedrooms are fully sound-proofed, with units 1 and 4's rooms on adjoining walls being blocked by furniture, and the bedrooms in units 2 and 3 not sharing walls with neighbours. Despite that, unit 2 and 3 will get to experience the some of the joy of apartment neighbours in their living rooms, as the landings of their stairs are not sound-proof.

Most of the pictures were taken in build mode in my uninhabited Build neighbourhood - chairs are still out for these. A few images were taken in Live mode during another playtest in Veronaville as the camera mod I am using is more flexible in Live mode (letting me get far enough back for the full lot shots) and I wanted to show the functionality of item placement.

Required Shots:

I don't often add a lot of clutter to my lots, but I had a lot of fun playing with it on this lot. Each unit was decorated for a specific group of sims.
For the units, I used one additional shot per unit, so there are five pictures behind each unit's spoiler.

CC used includes the modular stairs linked above, Sunni's Justa Medieval Door and her matching apartment door default replacement, and leefish's expansions of the OpenMe doors and windows.
Locked thread | Locked by: gdayars Reason: Contest over
Page 6 of 25